feedback from a tired player

• feedback from a tired player

Yesterday, for the first time in five months or so, I did not log into Albion online for any amount of time. It was refreshing. I don’t know yet that I feel the need to fully quit playing the game. I’ve said before, and I maintain, that Albion is a fine game with many qualitative aspects that I feel surpass any other game I have played.

I’d like to give genuine, heart-felt feedback on aspects of the game/community that I find particularly flawed, unpleasant, and tiring.

Albion is an ambitious game that caters to a variety of different gamers who approach the game with different goals and playstyles. I think it is really fun and holds the potential, if these very different gamers are all able to receive positive reinforcement for their play time, to create a very diverse, interactive, and rewarding game-play experience. That is what I perceive the vision of this project to be. If it is, I think the concept is brilliant.

Unfortunately, from a user’s perspective, all the space provided for the discussion and vision of the game’s many exciting aspects is swallowed up by a very specific subset of players who dominate the conversation and constantly throw tantrums. Further, inside the game itself, that same subset of players work to see that their playstyle overshadows and influences every aspect of the game in a heavily exaggerated way. I believe the great majority of players in the game resent this to some degree.

I am not against having PvP in the game. I believe it richly adds to the overall game experience, even for those who do not engage in it themselves. While there are forms of PvP I don’t particularly care for, I have felt excitement in the idea of getting my own character battle-ready for formal engagements such as arena, corrupted dungeons, hellgates, guild battles and so forth. I have not had the opportunity to try all of the various PvP scenarios, but they provide one of many motivations for grinding away at that destiny-board wheel.

Regarding gankers who team up in overwhelming numbers to prey upon an individual player returning from hours of grinding away in dungeons—I’m not even suggesting these players’ activities should be completely abolished. The practice is cowardly, unseemly, barbaric, and unimaginative to be certain, but it does add a level of eerie atmosphere to certain areas of the game that I believe, at an appropriate level, enhances the game experience overall.

Again, I am not advocating for the removal of the game’s most objectionable players, but it is their voices that dominate discussion about the game and it is their presence that imposes itself so heavily into the game as to suffocate the majority of people out of the regions they occupy.

I accept that I will, at times, be killed in an act of piracy after having spent measurable time and actual effort to obtain some wealth and that those pirates, spending less effort but having superior numbers and there for the “fun” of their activity are going to divide the spoils of my effort amongst themselves while nauseatingly congratulating themselves as if they have made a worthwhile and noble achievement. That is part of the game as presently designed. I am disappointed, but accept it as a feature of the game when I, against all odds, escape six reds simultaneously swarming in and attacking after being tackled and frozen in place by someone waiting in invisible ambush, then get past a second ring of attackers on the same team as the first some distance out, only to be finally subdued and killed inches away from the zone exit by a third ring of players, again, on the same team as the rest, with extra tacklers waiting closer to the exit lest I find some way to escape them completely. As the game is written, that sort of assholery is permitted to happen. But when I find myself browsing the forums and the same topics are posted over, and over, and over again with titles like “red zones are too safe” or “remove the dungeon entrance timer,” with the same predictable characters clicking likes onto each other’s comments in an effort to dominate the perceived sentiment of the forum, contrary to the view of the majority of players, forgive me if I start to feel like there may be an actual problem with the forum and the game.

The way to increase opportunity for gankers to kill helpless, outnumbered individuals is not to remove protections in dangerous areas. Doing that would only have the effect of further alienating players from the areas and the gankers would have fewer targets as others have less confidence in entering the areas and therefore will refuse to do so. If gankers want more kills, they need more targets. More targets only come with more people entering the areas. That only happens with more incentive. When gankers fight against those incentives, they fight themselves.

Every time I read one of those frantic, whiney, screeching complaints from the game’s most loathed players who swarm the forum in an effort to hide from themselves how unpopular their viewpoint is, I feel convinced that I know from where the inspiration came for the “heretic screamer.”

In the real world, there is a disturbing lack of economic literacy. So many people think economics is a zero-sum game and that if others do well it somehow means they cannot. The reality is that wealth, when things work correctly, is the result of work performed and that there is no more a limit on the amount of wealth that can exist as there is on the amount of work an individual, business, or society can do. In Albion, the zero-sum viewpoint is every bit as false, yet the zero-sum fallacy has a dominant position in players’ minds and is adopted as a raison d'être by many a ganker. I can feel brain cells dying every time I read one of the psuedo-intellectual explanations of how important the ganker is to the Albion economy.

There is no limit to the spawning of NPCs, dungeons, expeditions, and so forth in Albion and there is no limit placed upon players as to the amount of time they can spend obtaining silver from these sources. The ganker has little to no impact on inflationary pressures and is not a critically important piece of some complex economic system. He is a pirate who steals from and murders others rather than earning for himself, and that is the full explanation of his impact. Inflation and deflation, in game as in life, is the result of a relationship of the amount and availability of actual goods in existence with the amount of currency in the system that is used to represent those goods. Whether or not the goods were stolen is a completely different matter. Goods that exist compared to currency that exists determines the value of the currency. If gatherers and crafters flood the market with goods but currency in circulation stays the same, there will be deflation. If goods are destroyed through various means and there are fewer of them, and gatherers and crafters do not keep up with their replacement, yet currency in circulation stays the same, there will be inflation. If the amount of currency in circulation changes, down or up, it similarly effects things. The idea that gankers are out there having a meaningful and significant impact on any of this is delusional, and yes I understand that some things are trashed when people get killed. The significant indicators of inflation/deflation are not controlled by ganking, but in silver earned and products produced.

As in life, we shouldn’t be bothered by the idea that people, through time and effort, increase their wealth and do well. Large amounts of people able to do this should be celebrated and not thought of as a problem. Prosperity is a good thing.

In summation, I think Albion is a well-crafted idea and a fun game. Constantly-complaining people who represent a small population of the game make the game less fun and divert attention away from a more complete, healthy perspective that includes most of the game’s players. I don’t feel much attention is given to the aspects of the game that attracted most players to it in the first place because the squeaky wheel always gets the grease, and the self-entitled minority squeak more than those who are reasonable. As for me, when a wheel squeaks, and I oil it, and yet it keeps squeaking, I simply change the wheel. If it kept squeaking, even after oiling over and over again, I’d eventually change the whole cart/wagon/car/whatever-it-is. I love the game but I’m tired of the whining and the outsized influence granted to those whiners. I don’t see Albion’s development ever moving beyond an unresolvable effort to placate the game’s biggest jerks. I tire of people's fallacious logic and the anti-prosperity sentiment. At best, I’m taking a break. Thank you for a fun and engaging game.
    • Nicely written post. I would agree the forum is littered with what you described as whining from all sides. For every post calling for SRD timer to be removed I see one about wanting safe access to T8 content. If anything more safety has continually been added against ganking each recent update. This I agree with because ganking is a deterrent to activity especially on the solo/small scale side (my preference). But oddly after each of these safety net changes the OW in the BZ continues to shrink in activity. You only see players during ZvZ times. This is a problem because the BZ is barren yet the Royal cities/zones is overpopulated. This is ultimately what they need to resolve. How to incentivize or educate the playerbase to progress out of safe zones.

I also think most of us agree they need to finally make an effort to kill super alliances/hand holding. Make it nonsensical to group up to such excess. Drastically limit HO quantities per guild/alliance and how many HOs an individual can enter. Add more realm gates like pre Queen. Make BZ Rests a realistic place to live. Give the BZ more activities to keep people busy outside of ZvZ.
    • hopchis wrote:

Yesterday, for the first time in five months or so, I did not log into Albion online for any amount of time. It was refreshing. I don’t know yet that I feel the need to fully quit playing the game. I’ve said before, and I maintain, that Albion is a fine game with many qualitative aspects that I feel surpass any other game I have played.

I’d like to give genuine, heart-felt feedback on aspects of the game/community that I find particularly flawed, unpleasant, and tiring.

Albion is an ambitious game that caters to a variety of different gamers who approach the game with different goals and playstyles. I think it is really fun and holds the potential, if these very different gamers are all able to receive positive reinforcement for their play time, to create a very diverse, interactive, and rewarding game-play experience. That is what I perceive the vision of this project to be. If it is, I think the concept is brilliant.

Unfortunately, from a user’s perspective, all the space provided for the discussion and vision of the game’s many exciting aspects is swallowed up by a very specific subset of players who dominate the conversation and constantly throw tantrums. Further, inside the game itself, that same subset of players work to see that their playstyle overshadows and influences every aspect of the game in a heavily exaggerated way. I believe the great majority of players in the game resent this to some degree.

I am not against having PvP in the game. I believe it richly adds to the overall game experience, even for those who do not engage in it themselves. While there are forms of PvP I don’t particularly care for, I have felt excitement in the idea of getting my own character battle-ready for formal engagements such as arena, corrupted dungeons, hellgates, guild battles and so forth. I have not had the opportunity to try all of the various PvP scenarios, but they provide one of many motivations for grinding away at that destiny-board wheel.

Regarding gankers who team up in overwhelming numbers to prey upon an individual player returning from hours of grinding away in dungeons—I’m not even suggesting these players’ activities should be completely abolished. The practice is cowardly, unseemly, barbaric, and unimaginative to be certain, but it does add a level of eerie atmosphere to certain areas of the game that I believe, at an appropriate level, enhances the game experience overall.

Again, I am not advocating for the removal of the game’s most objectionable players, but it is their voices that dominate discussion about the game and it is their presence that imposes itself so heavily into the game as to suffocate the majority of people out of the regions they occupy.

I accept that I will, at times, be killed in an act of piracy after having spent measurable time and actual effort to obtain some wealth and that those pirates, spending less effort but having superior numbers and there for the “fun” of their activity are going to divide the spoils of my effort amongst themselves while nauseatingly congratulating themselves as if they have made a worthwhile and noble achievement. That is part of the game as presently designed. I am disappointed, but accept it as a feature of the game when I, against all odds, escape six reds simultaneously swarming in and attacking after being tackled and frozen in place by someone waiting in invisible ambush, then get past a second ring of attackers on the same team as the first some distance out, only to be finally subdued and killed inches away from the zone exit by a third ring of players, again, on the same team as the rest, with extra tacklers waiting closer to the exit lest I find some way to escape them completely. As the game is written, that sort of assholery is permitted to happen. But when I find myself browsing the forums and the same topics are posted over, and over, and over again with titles like “red zones are too safe” or “remove the dungeon entrance timer,” with the same predictable characters clicking likes onto each other’s comments in an effort to dominate the perceived sentiment of the forum, contrary to the view of the majority of players, forgive me if I start to feel like there may be an actual problem with the forum and the game.

The way to increase opportunity for gankers to kill helpless, outnumbered individuals is not to remove protections in dangerous areas. Doing that would only have the effect of further alienating players from the areas and the gankers would have fewer targets as others have less confidence in entering the areas and therefore will refuse to do so. If gankers want more kills, they need more targets. More targets only come with more people entering the areas. That only happens with more incentive. When gankers fight against those incentives, they fight themselves.

Every time I read one of those frantic, whiney, screeching complaints from the game’s most loathed players who swarm the forum in an effort to hide from themselves how unpopular their viewpoint is, I feel convinced that I know from where the inspiration came for the “heretic screamer.”

In the real world, there is a disturbing lack of economic literacy. So many people think economics is a zero-sum game and that if others do well it somehow means they cannot. The reality is that wealth, when things work correctly, is the result of work performed and that there is no more a limit on the amount of wealth that can exist as there is on the amount of work an individual, business, or society can do. In Albion, the zero-sum viewpoint is every bit as false, yet the zero-sum fallacy has a dominant position in players’ minds and is adopted as a raison d'être by many a ganker. I can feel brain cells dying every time I read one of the psuedo-intellectual explanations of how important the ganker is to the Albion economy.

There is no limit to the spawning of NPCs, dungeons, expeditions, and so forth in Albion and there is no limit placed upon players as to the amount of time they can spend obtaining silver from these sources. The ganker has little to no impact on inflationary pressures and is not a critically important piece of some complex economic system. He is a pirate who steals from and murders others rather than earning for himself, and that is the full explanation of his impact. Inflation and deflation, in game as in life, is the result of a relationship of the amount and availability of actual goods in existence with the amount of currency in the system that is used to represent those goods. Whether or not the goods were stolen is a completely different matter. Goods that exist compared to currency that exists determines the value of the currency. If gatherers and crafters flood the market with goods but currency in circulation stays the same, there will be deflation. If goods are destroyed through various means and there are fewer of them, and gatherers and crafters do not keep up with their replacement, yet currency in circulation stays the same, there will be inflation. If the amount of currency in circulation changes, down or up, it similarly effects things. The idea that gankers are out there having a meaningful and significant impact on any of this is delusional, and yes I understand that some things are trashed when people get killed. The significant indicators of inflation/deflation are not controlled by ganking, but in silver earned and products produced.

As in life, we shouldn’t be bothered by the idea that people, through time and effort, increase their wealth and do well. Large amounts of people able to do this should be celebrated and not thought of as a problem. Prosperity is a good thing.

In summation, I think Albion is a well-crafted idea and a fun game. Constantly-complaining people who represent a small population of the game make the game less fun and divert attention away from a more complete, healthy perspective that includes most of the game’s players. I don’t feel much attention is given to the aspects of the game that attracted most players to it in the first place because the squeaky wheel always gets the grease, and the self-entitled minority squeak more than those who are reasonable. As for me, when a wheel squeaks, and I oil it, and yet it keeps squeaking, I simply change the wheel. If it kept squeaking, even after oiling over and over again, I’d eventually change the whole cart/wagon/car/whatever-it-is. I love the game but I’m tired of the whining and the outsized influence granted to those whiners. I don’t see Albion’s development ever moving beyond an unresolvable effort to placate the game’s biggest jerks. I tire of people's fallacious logic and the anti-prosperity sentiment. At best, I’m taking a break. Thank you for a fun and engaging game.
      Wow he wrote a entire bloody essay about how much he hates gankers and how they complain while all he does is whine about them. Thanks for the laugh i needed it
    • i agree that things need to be done to improve black zone use, but not necessarily anything anti-ganking. My only suggestion is to completely obliterate and rebuild the hideout system so that mega coalitions cant effectively control huge swathes of the map easily at once. Make it easier for small guilds to have / defend a single hideout point somewhere in the outlands without having to resort to renting / mega coalitions.

Ill just say as someone that is frequently on both sides of the ganking equation (although when i "gank" its just with one other friend, not a huge group), i still think the threat of random unfair pvp is overall good for the game and makes relatively mundane tasks like smacking a big tree for 5 minutes more exciting / enjoyable.

Hell yesterday i died in one of the dumbest ways imaginable when transporting to carleon. Saw a red guy downed, went to execute him and then mobs jumped me and i died and he executed me =X. Lost probably 6 mil but just had to laugh cause it was so dumb lol. I am glad the game gave me the opportunity to be an idiot and laugh about it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lockemup ().

• Gankers whine that ganging got nerfed. And ganking is only getting nerfed. It only got nerfs ever since I started playing. Pve players don't whine since they are getting buffs.
      So where is this so called whiney ganker influence on the game development? What did those voices change that made you quit the game?
      All I see is soneone who finished pve grind and now realises there is not much to do in the game. Ganking is dead and once you finish the pve you can only quit.