Player Made Mercenary/Bounty Mission System

• Thanks for a detailed reply @noxmortus. You have a great point! The system/s I proposed and others don't add enough value to the game.

Since the idea has been established, I'll need to take some time to review & remodel the system for it to work with the world of Albion. (I'll try to do it in my free time)

I will probably post a new & much detailed system that will hopefully answer all major problems and will add great value & content to the game.
    • The biggest problem you'd likely face is the fact that finding a specific player, especially someone who you don't know at all would be very difficult. Albion is a big world and with these bounties you'd have to hope to be online at the right time and happen to be traversing in the right zone then be in the proper gear to catch and kill the target.

The only solution to that might be having the bounty mission track where the player is but then that would be exploited in so many ways that I don't even want to spend the added time explaining that.

The bounty system just serves very little purpose for the amount of time and effort required to program it into the game. If your goal is to just have a system that pays people money or items to kill someone then simple enough you tell some friends the name of the person you want them to kill and have them record it or just send you the kill board screen shot which posts the time and date. Again though good luck actually finding the player unless they habitually camp the same zone over and over.
    • In the beginning of the year i posted this:

Red Zone PvP Overhaul

It would tackle the issues with red zone PvP while, at the same time, implementing a self regulating Bounty System.

EDIT: Since i'm dumb and the original post is in RT, i'm reposting it complete below this point:

Situation

Red zone PvP has some very punitive sides for everyone, be it the "Villain" (ganker), "Prey" (non PvP blues) or "Heroes" (Blues that actively hunt Pks):

• Ganker: Reputation forces it to PvE, which most find pretty boring. This leads to weird situations where PvP players make new chars, tome to T4, pk with friends until infinite negative reputation then delete the character, rinse and repeat.

• Non PvP blues: Rarely they are left aside from gankers, even if it is a newbie. They just avoid sometimes T3~T4 players with highest Reputation to avoid losing too much reputation. This can lead to very terrible experience for newbies without any real counterpart for gankers.

• Blues that actively hunt PKs: What is the real advantage of it? Most PKs run T4 sets. PKs can actively find some interesting preys, while Blues basically have no real benefit. Reds just come back with another T4 set.

Intention

1. Change the current downside of being a PK in red zone, while also adding a long wanted 'Bounty system' that benefit both coordinated PKs with good gear and Blues that hunt PKs.
      2. Reduce the likeliness of a PK wanting to hunt weak preys.
      3. A new silver sink mechanism.

"WANTED" status

• Killing a blue while having no bounty on your head adds progressively bigger bounty on your head, while cursing the PK silver in a 1x1 proportion, while also adding a progressive countdown in order for the Wanted to prescribe.
        Example progressive values:
        Wanted 1: 500k Silver - 15 minutes
        Wanted 2: 1kk Silver - 30 minutes
        Wanted 3: 2kk Silver - 1hour
        Wanted 4: 3kk Silver - 2hour .... Capped at 8h. No max silver cap.

• Cursed silver can't be traded or used in any way until the "Wanted" status is over.

• While the countdown is active the player is unable to remove the PK. The countdown only counts while the player is in an Open World Red Zone (being inside random dungeons doesn't count, static dungeons count).

• It is possible to remove the PK by paying your own bounty to a specific NPC. The silver spent is removed from the game.

• If a PK is killed by another player, be it a Blue or another Red, 50% of the cursed silver is dropped, the other 50% is removed from the game. The PK lose all the cursed silver.

• Pks can defend themselves. If a PK is hit first by anything that puts the Blue in combat he can fight back. Killing a Blue that hit you first won't raise your "Wanted" level.

• The WANTED level should have clear icons in their names, so that it is clear how dangerous is that PK and how valuable it is to kill it.

• After a certain "Wanted" level, a serverwide system announcement is made to announce a huge bounty: "A bounty of XXXX silver is issued to YYYYY, Dead only."

• Every red that was the agressor (attacked first) in a specific kill will have their wanted level raised by 1. This means that even if you are a PK in a PK party if you didn't attack a certain target and he dies you don't get your "Wanted" level raised. Healing or supporting a PK that had their "Wanted" level raised will also raise your "Wanted" level.

• It is not possible to attack first if you don't have enough silver to be cursed in case you kill that target. You can still defend yourself in case you are attacked.

OBS: This idea came initially while playing "Rucoy Online" and is an adaptation of the PvP system available there.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ImaDoki ().

• DoomRawrus wrote:

The biggest problem you'd likely face is the fact that finding a specific player, especially someone who you don't know at all would be very difficult. Albion is a big world and with these bounties you'd have to hope to be online at the right time and happen to be traversing in the right zone then be in the proper gear to catch and kill the target.

The only solution to that might be having the bounty mission track where the player is but then that would be exploited in so many ways that I don't even want to spend the added time explaining that.

The bounty system just serves very little purpose for the amount of time and effort required to program it into the game. If your goal is to just have a system that pays people money or items to kill someone then simple enough you tell some friends the name of the person you want them to kill and have them record it or just send you the kill board screen shot which posts the time and date. Again though good luck actually finding the player unless they habitually camp the same zone over and over.
      Couldn't agree more
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • DoomRawrus wrote:

The biggest problem you'd likely face is the fact that finding a specific player, especially someone who you don't know at all would be very difficult. Albion is a big world and with these bounties you'd have to hope to be online at the right time and happen to be traversing in the right zone then be in the proper gear to catch and kill the target.

"The biggest problem you'd likely face is the fact that finding a specific player, especially someone who you don't know at all would be very difficult.". Yes, I was thinking there will be 3 kinds of scales/size of missions that I want to address to the next system design, the problem you're talking about is on a small/individual scale mission, and that is already noted to the next design. very sorry if I haven't mentioned it.

and there will be a medium/party sized scale, which will present a new/other sets of problems, and lastly, there will be a large/zvz scale which will obviously present another set of problems.

"The bounty system just serves very little purpose for the amount of time and effort required to program it into the game.". I believe that is quite similar to what I've said: "The system/s I proposed and others don't add enough value to the game.". but yeah, It's all noted. the system needs to provide good value for it to be worth it for "the amount of time and effort required" for adding this to the game.

Thanks,
      Aymgad

P.S.
      @ImaDoki the "Red Zone PvP Overhaul" link you provided can't be viewed by unauthorized users. Unfortunately, I'm one of the unauthorized users, and so are the other users that will read this thread.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Aymgad ().

• Midgard wrote:

Ignisium wrote:

There's an easy solution to make a bounty system work that has been repeatedly overlooked.
      The entire bounty should not be payed out upon kill. Instead, portions of silver from the bounty depending on the bounty targets destroyed items should be payed out.

So, lets say blueman64 has a 10k silver bounty. He dies, and out of what he has on him 5k in items gets destroyed. The person who managed to slay blueman64 gets 2.5k silver in bounty payouts, or roughly 50% of the average market value of what they destroyed when they slew blueman64.
      Kill a player with millions of bounty while they are in an 8.3 set? Safe to say you're getting good pay. Try to cheese the system and claim your friends bounty? Almost impossible without some kind of mass market manipulation, since you'll have to delete extremely valuable items from the game to get it; And you'll only be getting 50% of those items average market value! And of course, this system could be paired with options for public access or access requirements, meaning that you can give access to a bounty only to those you trust.

This system does make bounty hunting less profitable, (can't kill little jimmy in t4 and make a million, oh no!) but it ensures the system is difficult to abuse and that the hunter is properly rewarded depending on the value of the slain target.
      no problem. I’ll just get a friend to kill me in shit gear anyway just to remove the bounty and stop me being a high value target. There’s no getting around this … it won’t work.
      Items have to be destroyed in order to clear the bounty.

It is impossible to benefit from destroying items when the bounty payout is always lower than the market values of said items. Unless your intent is to clear the bounty. In which case, good job! The guy who put a bounty on you just tricked you into destroying tons of items for no effort on his part.

There's very little incentive to clear the bounty in the first place, since if your on-kill payout is high then your killer would already be incentivized to kill you for your items anyway. All the bounty system does is "Hey. See the items on the guy you killed? Yeah I really don't like him, thanks for killing him, I will pay you some silver of about half the value of what he had trashed."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ignisium ().

• Gentlemen,

My biggest concern about a game-supported bounty system is the vast potential for unintended consequences.

I am 100% down with Roleplayers putting hits out on guilds, alliances, players, hideouts, and territories. I am just not seeing how it would be appropriate to support this system as a game mechanic.

If you were to implement a bounty system, you would obviously need to limit the scope of where the bounty could be collected.

I think player made bounties are inherently problematic because they are either not worth pursuing or they are worth undermining.

I think bounty hunters would be most appropriate (but maybe still not appropriate) in the red zone as an official police force. Bounty hunters would operate outside of the protections of the royal continent and not receive bonus stats due to reputation and would not cause red flagged players to lose reputation upon combat or death. Perhaps the bounty hunter counter would be shown in a zone similar to the red counter. This will be an interesting change where both criminals and reputable citizens will be aware of the relative strength of the police force and the criminals in a zone. An emergent gameplay pattern would involve red gankers avoiding zones with a sizable police force while focusing on ganking meanwhile the red gankers could decide to create a strong enough force to wipe the police force .

I think there could be some sort of reputation gain by participating as a bounty hunter through Caerleon which might provide a more enjoyable play pattern for PvPers within the royal continent where they can gain rep without hitting dungeons. Perhaps there could also be a small silver incentive when playing as the official police force where a portion of the loot thats trashed by killing reds will change into non-tradeable silver bags that can be claimed by the bounty hunter in addition to the reputation.