Player Made Mercenary/Bounty Mission System

• Player Made Mercenary/Bounty Mission System

It was pass 3AM still have excess brain power and can't fkin sleep. so I wrote this mercenary system and I don't know if it's a good idea or not, up to you guys to decide. or I'll see tomorrow after I got sleep if it is not a good idea, idk.

okay. no more introduction, here's the system:

PlayerMade Mercenary/Bounty Mission System
      Creating & Setting the reward for the Mission/Bounty
      • Can be silver or any tradeable item/gear reward
      • Once the mission setup completed, it cannot be canceled.
      • To cancel
        • Need the mission to be completed
        • Or the mission expiration

Targetsfor the Mission/Bounty
      • Can be a specific player name or guild name or alliance name
        • only choose one per mission/bounty

• If the player or guild or alliance gets deleted, all active bounties for them gets canceled
      Signingup for the Mission/Bounty (becoming mercenary/bounty hunter)
      • One bounty mission can have multiple individual players signed up or participating
      • One player can participate to multiple bounty missions
      Gettingthe Rewards
      • ONLY the FIRST one/individual player that has completed the mission and can come back to the bounty/mission NPC to collect the reward is the winner and will get the reward.
        • If the reward has been taken, the mission gets completed and the mission will disappear to all participants.

PlayerTarget
      Details to fill for the mission:
      • Player name (required)
      • Expiration Date/Time (required)
      • Reward (required)
      • Number/count the player should be killed (required) [minimum 1]
      • Base IP (optional)
      • Sample loadout's gear target should be wearing (optional)
      • Places/Zones target should be killed (optional)
      • Time Span target should be killed (optional)
      GuildTarget
      • Guild Name (required)
      • Reward (required)
      • Guild Member number/counts to be killed (required) [minimum 1]
      • Base IP (optional)
      • Gears or Weapons target should be wearing (optional)
      AllianceTarget
      • Alliance Name (required)
      • Reward (required)
      • Alliance member number/counts to be killed (required) [minimum 1]
      • Base IP (optional)

alright, thanks for reading, goodnight
    • thanks for the reply for a hundred time about this topic.

I actually didn't intend to add a feature for that "What’s to stop a guild mate or friend collecting the bounty...?" because mercenaries that kill people for money or reward are quite similar to outlaws, because of that, I only added the rule: first "individual" that can come back to the NPC with "completed" mission to collect the reward (which is most likely in Caerleon, because lore, yeah) is the ONLY ONE will get the reward.

that is why it is very important to choose the people/group you really trust for the missions, for the split of reward.

because in real-world, mercenaries are most likely will work with people they truly trust to hunt people for money, that was my basis lol

Reasons for the System
      - it simplifies the player hunting. And if the mission gets completed, getting rewards are secure & simple. 'no need for negotiations'
      - I was thinking, this system could be most useful for black zones since you can set the time span for the hunt.
      For example, there was a war on 18UTC against a guild or alliance like ARCH at specific zones, just fill the requirements of the mission:
      • Alliance Name (required) - ARCH
      • Expiration Date/Time (required) - 14/08/2021
      • Reward (required) - 20,000,000 or a battlemount
      • Alliance member number/counts to be killed (required) [minimum 1] - 20 or more ARCH kills
      • Base IP (optional) - 1250IP or higher
      • Sample loadout's gear target should be wearing (optional) - [you can input the zvz gears the player should be wearing, similar to loadout system]
      • Gears or Weapons target should be wearing (optional) - [you can input the zvz weapons the player should be wearing, similar to loadout system]
      • Places/Zones target should be killed (optional) - RedTree [or more zones]
      • Time Span target should be killed (optional) - from 17:30 to 18:30
      and if nobody was able to complete the mission, the rewards will go back to the owner/creator of the mission after it expires. just like a buy order (maybe SBI can put % of tax/fee for placing missions if they want to)

The real fun is anyone can participate :D and possibility for a new group of players could form that specializes in mercenary missions :D

P.S. but if this still looks like a bad idea, then okay.
    • Midgard wrote:

It’s been suggested a hundred times over. The problem remains the same. What’s to stop a guild mate or friend collecting the bounty …?
      The solution is simple. Just like in market add tax for silver rewards and for items make it so only fully repaired items can be listed for a reward but lose 5% durability once picked up.
    • Thanks! I also think it has potential. I just made a quick & dirty system, just want to show the core idea.

you're right it'll need a lot of balance, thought & design process, and a lot of effort & resources if devs will plan to develop & implement a similar feature.
    • This is just an over complicated activity that does not provide any real benefit beyond fulfilling a RP element for some people. The time and resources to invest from a developmental point-of-view are not a cost effective activity.

Use the party finder tool as an example. It is barely used and when it does get used its primarily outside of its core function (ie filling for guild & alliance zvz/20v20).

If you want to kill or have certain players die, find some friends and go to the places those players frequent.
    • there's nothing I can do if you guys think it's not "cost-effective activity" or "does not provide any real benefit"

I agree the party finder is not often getting used, but that is just one feature from hundreds of features SBI has created, change,d and removed. just want to say that it's about trying things to see what works and what's not.

though it's all about SBI if they try it, then we'll know if it really "does not provide any real benefit". but I agree it's not a "cost-effective activity" at this time.

To address the "overcomplicated activity", look at it like a 'kill order', like from the market. if the player completed the order, he gets the reward, that simple!

and to address "If you want to kill or have certain players die, find some friends and go to the places those players frequent.", that's one of the cases that'll get simplified by this system. because you won't need to negotiate with people/friends and more participants to the mission, with complete information listed in the mission. with safe reward/payment system.

The big problem with this system is it could be exploited by large guild/alliances if it is not balanced, it is a double-edged sword. Politics will make it complicated.
    • It will not be an issue of "could be exploited", as it will be exploited. Kill trading will occur to win the contracts.

Frankly I don't see this being a viable and sustainable addition to the game. It is not in the general theme of the game either. Want to shutdown a guild/alliance - pay POE and problem solved.

It is not a bad idea/concept, just very low likelihood of application in game. Does a game like EVE or Runescape have this mechanic, or perhaps another MMO to reference?
    • @Aymgad
      The way that you could make a bounty system work with less exploits would be implementing a debuff or penalty of sorts on the target player based on the reward value.

Example:

Tier 1 - 100,000 silver Target cursed -5% IP 3 hours while in game
      Tier 2 - 500,000 silver Target cursed -10% IP 5 hours in game
      Tier3 - 2 mil silver Target cursed -20% IP 12 hours in game

Crap examples but the point is that when the bounty is completed the player turning in the bounty gets paid silver and the target gets hit with a curse of some sort that affects their stats. The curse would only tick while they are in game so you can't simply log off and be fine later.

Now the downside of all of this aside from just balancing the curses is how this system might be used in an almost griefing form from players that can just issue out bounties left and right. Perhaps even an alliance puts on a mass bounty list for important players of an upcoming ZvZ. I mean this could be a good thing too or interesting to see.

What might be difficult is Crystal League players being spammed with bounties so that an upcoming crystal fight would be jeopardized by the debuff unless Crystals were scripted to ignore the debuff. That's about all I got to say for now and I should reiterate the above was just an example so don't critique me with OMG -20%ip loss you crazy?!

The post was edited 1 time, last by DoomRawrus ().

• @DoomRawrus

That is a poor example.

The only way to avoid abuse would be this scenario:

I post bounty to kill OP - I deposit the silver
      You (Doom) kill OP and collect bounty

I pay bounty; OP loses gear through death; you gain silver from bounty kill; server takes a % silver listing fee.

The issue with this is who is going to actually post those bounties to make target killing people profitable and worthwhile activity?
    • thanks, I appreciate all of the replies this thread is getting.

@noxmortus I agree the system I've provided is not a "viable and sustainable addition to the game.". also I think I found a few MMO or games with similar features from google search but I'm busy with my work to read stuff.

@DoomRawrus also thanks for adding a new feature that could help to the system :D

but my last remark is I was able to let out the idea from my head and show the concept of the mercenary system and its possibilities & its potential.

now we can still discuss how this system still has problems & think about the solutions for this to work with the game, but this job is in the field of system design which is frankly its SBI developers jobs.

I'm too busy to think about adding features and making this system work since I have a similar job like game development in real life that'll require a lot of brain power. maybe if I will have excess brain power again I would be able to think of new features to the system.

But it's all SBI's decision now if this looks interesting to them or not , if it's worth of their resources or not.

and if yes, it's also their job to design a system that'll work with the game and make it fit the "general theme of the game".

from a developer's point of view, SBI already has the major systems they needed to make this feature come alive.

it's all in SBI's hands.

Thanks,
      Aymgad
    • noxmortus wrote:

That is a poor example.

The only way to avoid abuse would be this scenario:

I post bounty to kill OP - I deposit the silver
      You (Doom) kill OP and collect bounty

I pay bounty; OP loses gear through death; you gain silver from bounty kill; server takes a % silver listing fee.

The issue with this is who is going to actually post those bounties to make target killing people profitable and worthwhile activity?
      This is a poor reply and example and here is why.

1 - you made a statement about my example being bad but didn't support it with anything.

2 - you posted the same system which was done by the OP just in a more simplified manner which doesn't address the exploitation by friends.

EXAMPLE

You post a bounty of 500,000 silver to kill Garry.
      I am a friend of Garry's and say hey throw on some gear and let me kill you and we can split the bounty. He puts on some inexpensive gear, I kill him and collect 500k silver then pay him 250k or whatever we agreed upon.

The example I posted which you did not read addresses this by punishing the target player for letting someone kill them. The system will fail however if the target player feels the penalty of death is less then the profit gained by letting a friend kill him.
    • @DoomRawrus

you fail to understand the basis - if you want to throw away 500k to kill Gray, and Gary exploit's it by killing himself; you as the player are the one who loses the silver. If you want to throw away 500k to execute someone's revenge kill...good on you. But ask yourself; are you really going to throw away 500k to do that? Are you really going to spend the time looking for someone for 500k? The whole premise of this bounty system is a flawed concept. There are 200k +active account with potentially 600k players, good luck finding that proverbial needle in a hackstack, because someone ganked you once.

you posted the same system which was done by the OP just in a more simplified manner which doesn't address the exploitation by friends. This is not the same system by the OP. This is not a system that is based in exploitation, as if your friend "exploits" and kills themselves for your bounty, you've effectively 'traded' them silver with a server % removed. Why not just trade them the silver in the first instance, rather than go about it in some convoluted manner?

The system you propose is game breaking. You propose to punish the target player with debuffs because someone hates them. Your proposal effectively becomes a trolling mechanism that discourages players from playing the game. Are you going to go and do PvP with artifical debuffs imposed upon you? Will you do HCE, CD, Crystals and ZvZ with that artificial debuff?

If you are going to propose a system, at least apply logic to it. Something that will not discourage players from playing; something that brings a fun mechanic that will increase player participation.
    • Garry Upsets Sam in some way (perhaps by ganking him).

Sam decides to put a bounty on Garry of 2,000,000 silver.

-Sam puts up the bounty because he knows that if it is full filled the player will suffer from this debuff.

-If a player completes the bounty mission then they will make 2mil silver and be happy and Sam will be happy that Garry was killed and cursed.
      -If a friend of Garry tries to exploit the bounty by killing him to later split the bounty then Garry still suffers from the curse and Sam can be partially happy.

noxmortus wrote:

The system you propose is game breaking. You propose to punish the target player with debuffs because someone hates them. Your proposal effectively becomes a trolling mechanism that discourages players from playing the game. Are you going to go and do PvP with artifical debuffs imposed upon you? Will you do HCE, CD, Crystals and ZvZ with that artificial debuff?
      If true, then do you believe a player would exploit the system as often?

noxmortus wrote:

Something that will not discourage players from playing; something that brings a fun mechanic that will increase player participation.
      I do infact agree with this point as this sort of system could be overly used especially by players that have no problem throwing away loads of silver to curse other players they hate. The mere point here is to show that there are ways to prevent or atleast heavily limit the exploitation of the system which is the common defense against why a bounty system should'nt exist.

Midgard wrote:

It’s been suggested a hundred times over. The problem remains the same. What’s to stop a guild mate or friend collecting the bounty …?

noxmortus wrote:

It will not be an issue of "could be exploited", as it will be exploited. Kill trading will occur to win the contracts.
    • after reviewing again the posts, I think I misunderstood the point @Midgard

Midgard wrote:

I thought you were talking about guildmate or friend that was with your group/party and they're getting the reward first before you and not splitting it to the group. but you were talking about a guildmate/friend of the 'target' killing the target' and thus completing the mission and have them splitting the reward, right?

List of problems that were mentioned:
      1. What’s to stop a guild mate or friend collecting the bounty? or Kill trading will occur to win the contracts or exploitation by friends
      2. The issue with this is who is going to actually post those bounties to make target killing people profitable and worthwhile activity?
      3. if you want to throw away 500k to kill Gray, and Gary exploit's it by killing himself

Aymgad wrote:

It was pass 3AM still have excess brain power and can't fkin sleep. so I wrote this mercenary system and I don't know if it's a good idea or not, up to you guys to decide. or I'll see tomorrow after I got sleep if it is not a good idea, idk.

okay. no more introduction, here's the system:

PlayerMade Mercenary/Bounty Mission System
      Creating & Setting the reward for the Mission/Bounty
      • Can be silver or any tradeable item/gear reward
      • Once the mission setup completed, it cannot be canceled.
      • To cancel
        • Need the mission to be completed
        • Or the mission expiration

Targetsfor the Mission/Bounty
      • Can be a specific player name or guild name or alliance name
        • only choose one per mission/bounty
      [*]If the player or guild or alliance gets deleted, all active bounties for them gets canceled
      Signingup for the Mission/Bounty (becoming mercenary/bounty hunter)
      • One bounty mission can have multiple individual players signed up or participating
      • One player can participate to multiple bounty missions
      Gettingthe Rewards
      • ONLY the FIRST one/individual player that has completed the mission and can come back to the bounty/mission NPC to collect the reward is the winner and will get the reward.
        • If the reward has been taken, the mission gets completed and the mission will disappear to all participants.

PlayerTarget
      • Player name (required)
      • Reward (required)
      • Number/count the player should be killed (required) [minimum 1]
      • Base IP (optional)
      GuildTarget
      • Guild Name (required)
      • Reward (required)
      • Guild Member number/counts to be killed (required) [minimum 1]
      • Base IP (optional)
      AllianceTarget
      • Alliance Name (required)
      • Reward (required)
      • Alliance member number/counts to be killed (required) [minimum 1]
      • Base IP (optional)

alright, thanks for reading, goodnight

Answers to the problems:
      1. What’s to stop a guild mate or friend collecting the bounty? or Kill trading will occur to win the contracts or exploitation by friends
      - to prevent this exploitation, the best solution I could think of is giving control to the client (mission creator) of who & what people are allowed to do the mission. Let's welcome the good old access right system.
      - with the access right system, the client can make the mission public or private. (public means everyone can participate)
      - if private, the client can choose specific person or people, can choose guild/s and can choose alliance/s to participate.
      - PLUS, together with the access right system, there is also BLOCK system, wherein the client can choose specific players, guilds & alliance to block from participating to the mission.

I know this system will not 100% prevent exploitation like this:

*if Sam (client) wants to put the bounty to Gary (target), and Sam called his 'personal' friends Tom & Jerry to kill Gary, (remember only Tom & Jerry were the only 2 that was allowed to do the mission) but Tom & Jerry contacted Gary that he has bounty and they agreed to split the reward once the mission is completed. Then.... Sam needs to find new personal friends.

but this system will reduce significantly the exploitation if the client knows how to set up his missions correctly.

2. The issue with this is who is going to actually post those bounties to make target killing people profitable and worthwhile activity?
      - there are 3 reasons that I could think of to create bounties, first: politics, second: strategy, third: personal reasons. special mention: profit I guess? if one can think of a strategy that can make money from creating missions/bounty
      - but in theory, the benefit of 'profit' is mostly for the mercenaries. but who knows...

3. if you want to throw away 500k to kill Gray, and Gary exploit's it by killing himself
      - this will not happen, I'm sorry for not explaining everything about the system, by default the system checks the kill information if it's eligible, and by default, killing himself or suicide is not eligible.

One more additional feature I would like to mention aside from the access right & block system:
      1. The Defaults of who can view the bounties & who can participate:
      - by default, the target/s can't view the bounty about them and thus, making the target's by default not allowed to participate in the mission about them. (cannot be changed)
      - by default, the target's guildmates cannot also view the bounty for their guild mate that was the target, making them by default not allowed to participate in the mission. (can be changed by the client [optional])
      - by default, the target's alliance members cannot also view the bounty for their alliance member/s that was the target, making them by default not allowed to participate in the mission about them (can be changed by the client [optional])

Maybe I still missed something, or there are new problems came up, or the existing problem is still not addressed and I didn't know it.

Just let me know

Thanks,
      Aymgad
    • There's an easy solution to make a bounty system work that has been repeatedly overlooked.
      The entire bounty should not be payed out upon kill. Instead, portions of silver from the bounty depending on the bounty targets destroyed items should be payed out.

So, lets say blueman64 has a 10k silver bounty. He dies, and out of what he has on him 5k in items gets destroyed. The person who managed to slay blueman64 gets 2.5k silver in bounty payouts, or roughly 50% of the average market value of what they destroyed when they slew blueman64.
      Kill a player with millions of bounty while they are in an 8.3 set? Safe to say you're getting good pay. Try to cheese the system and claim your friends bounty? Almost impossible without some kind of mass market manipulation, since you'll have to delete extremely valuable items from the game to get it; And you'll only be getting 50% of those items average market value! And of course, this system could be paired with options for public access or access requirements, meaning that you can give access to a bounty only to those you trust.

This system does make bounty hunting less profitable, (can't kill little jimmy in t4 and make a million, oh no!) but it ensures the system is difficult to abuse and that the hunter is properly rewarded depending on the value of the slain target.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ignisium: added more info ().

• Ignisium wrote:

There's an easy solution to make a bounty system work that has been repeatedly overlooked.
      The entire bounty should not be payed out upon kill. Instead, portions of silver from the bounty depending on the bounty targets destroyed items should be payed out.

So, lets say blueman64 has a 10k silver bounty. He dies, and out of what he has on him 5k in items gets destroyed. The person who managed to slay blueman64 gets 2.5k silver in bounty payouts, or roughly 50% of the average market value of what they destroyed when they slew blueman64.
      Kill a player with millions of bounty while they are in an 8.3 set? Safe to say you're getting good pay. Try to cheese the system and claim your friends bounty? Almost impossible without some kind of mass market manipulation, since you'll have to delete extremely valuable items from the game to get it; And you'll only be getting 50% of those items average market value! And of course, this system could be paired with options for public access or access requirements, meaning that you can give access to a bounty only to those you trust.

This system does make bounty hunting less profitable, (can't kill little jimmy in t4 and make a million, oh no!) but it ensures the system is difficult to abuse and that the hunter is properly rewarded depending on the value of the slain target.
      no problem. I’ll just get a friend to kill me in shit gear anyway just to remove the bounty and stop me being a high value target. There’s no getting around this … it won’t work.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • This is a RP dream that does not have a functional place within the game of Albion. As unfortunate as it may be for those who want this feature, it does not value add to the overall content, community gameplay or improve upon the QoL.

Remember, everything new to the game must improve the general quality for example:

When HCE were introduced:
      * it created a market for high end gear (that did not exist at the time) and continues to fuel high end crafting markets
      * it created (at a time when fame farming was significantly harder than today) a means of gaining good fame fast
      * it triggered weapon and armour rebalancing as a result of exploits and under performances
      * it encouraged people to spend real money and in game currency to buy the high end gears
      * it had negative actions too by removing some fame farmers from open world, but also created a niche community that logged on purely to do HCE

Remodeled Bandits:
      * has exposed Royal players to ZvZ content
      * stimulated new players economies through rewards by participation
      * increased ZvZ gear economy
      * increased activity in royals (albeit for event timers)
      * has crashed the hearts market, but in turn makes faction capes cheaper for everyone

Sadly, the concept of bounties just doesn't compare.