No Actual Risk in Albion Online

• No Actual Risk in Albion Online

I started playing Albion fairly recently. I immediately realized after watching some guides that the Black Zone, regardless of the threat of other players, is absolutely the best place to be to make money, level up, do anything really worth your time. I worked up in the Royals (for about a day), to about 100k profit, then bought a mule and some T4 gear, and was on my way into the Black Zone. I made my money back in five minutes. I made about 400k in about 20 minutes after,doing a random T6-7 dungeon or whatever.

Now here's the kicker. I don't lose, silver. I might lose my items if I'm killed, but I literally have made 40x my original profit in 20 minutes, more money than I ever made, in total, on the Royal Continent in an actual days worth of play time. I trade 10k for 400k? (I actually made around 800k because I was able to make it back to the home portal with all my items gained, so technically 80x original profit!)

So my question is, who the fuck cares if we die and lose our items when silver never drops? I could buy 100 fucking donkeys, regardless of whether i'm murdered or not, with the money I made in 20 minutes.

So....where is the loss?

If I can run out, make a ton of silver and cannot lose it, what's stopping everyone from charging out into the Black Zone and powerleveling/silver mining, other than an irrational fear of losing 'gear', when gear is intrinsically silver, and thus, you really can't...lose it? All items technically are outrageously expendable. If I can make the silver without dropping a beat, then what inherently is the value of any item, other than it's temporary worth to the individual? Sure, you could lose all your items...but it's impossible to be in the hole unless you put yourself there.

I basically am saying that there is no way to lose Albion Online unless you make yourself lose.

We are all inevitable millionaires.
    • I'm very happy that you feel this was, as do most of us playing the game and enjoying ourselves. People are too attached to that 6.3MP gear they bought "cUz i loOk nOice" and feel like they should have it forever, but having the money to do the content you enjoy is much more rewarding. Keep making your millions friend.
    • You said it. The yellow zone warriors have an odd irrational fear of death. They instead play the game at a snails pace of progression and whine on forums to destroy the core game design. Some of it is just a lack of knowledge of how BZ fame/silver is dramatically better at the same difficulty level by tier. But a lot of it is people have this odd reaction to death even though in Albion your loss on death is completely controllable.
    • Well don't be so harsch...

Some people play the game that should not in their own interest play it..

I was once with a guy on voice and showed him chest ratting..and we got a pvp fight...I was on enemy..and sayd assist?? He popped his boots and silenced himself till fight was over...

The guy still plays the game now some years later..but his skill has not improved..

Bottom line..even easy mode is too stressful ..for some of us..
    • I think Black Zones are empty because stress is not worth the reward for 90% or more of the playerbase. Strangely, the game now has a lot more players who don't like the "thrill" of full loot. Most hardcore mmorpg players are already rich and Albion with its black zones has gone into stagnation because the new players are not adept at the old school system. You need to accept that you are an minority of player type and DEVs, for the sake of the game sooner or later will have to increasingly add low risk content as it is clearly more profitable for the game in financial terms for pleasing many more players.

The post was edited 2 times, last by hamonteixeira ().

• hamonteixeira wrote:

I think Black Zones are empty because stress is not worth the reward for 90% or more of the playerbase. Strangely, the game now has a lot more players who don't like the "thrill" of full loot. Most hardcore mmorpg players are already rich and Albion with its black zones has gone into stagnation because the new players are not adept at the old school system. You need to accept that you are an minority of player type and DEVs, for the sake of the game sooner or later will have to increasingly add low risk content as it is clearly more profitable for the game in financial terms for pleasing many more players.
      Hello yellow zone warrior.

Just because you are yellow zone warrior, doesn´t mean everyone is.

Frankly, if you are staying in the yellow zone, you don´t know how to play the game at all - and you never bothered to learn, not even for a second.
      Yellow zone are like Tutorial zones. It´s like a safe zone for New Players.

Feel free to enjoy tutorial, but don´t think tutorial is gonna be expanded : )
      Though funnily, HCE, a safe zone content, is already extremely OP - so if you want more low risk content, u can do that one. That´s for safe zone warriors.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • There you are wrong. The tutorial as you say is much more popular than the main game. Most players don't even want to go to the Black Zone and this is a growing trend, as old school players don't have enough flow anymore and the new audience isn't adept. It reminds me of dota outnumbering wc3.
    • hamonteixeira wrote:

There you are wrong. The tutorial as you say is much more popular than the main game. Most players don't even want to go to the Black Zone and this is a growing trend, as old school players don't have enough flow anymore and the new audience isn't adept. It reminds me of dota outnumbering wc3.
      Don´t speak for others, newbie.

New players have it easier than ever. They can just go literally second day do corrupted dungeons T6, get great fame, loot, and get pvp experience on top of that.

Now it´s easier than ever to get used to pvp.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • I feel like the tutorial; should be the blue zone, t3 and t4 should be yellow, and t5 and up should be red and black. you learn to play by t5 and getting to t5 is easy. everything past t5 slows down and I think this is where current yellow zone players get stuck and complacent. that big t5 to t6 gap would be better served getting used to the core mechanics of pvp deaths in albion instead of getting people used to surviving everything.
    • Well other/newer games do sort of mix, they have less zones where is is fully "safe" but you only drop parts of your gear and not the whole thing. Understandably that would cripple the already saturated Albion market (as there are more items made than broken/dropped)
    • The black zone is more populated than ever lately. Red zones too. People are constantly running corrupted, theres constant fights to be had in the black zone. I dont get this manufactured doom and gloom. Is it just jealous and risk averse yellow zone mains who are hopeful that SBI might throw them a bone?
    • BZ has several hot spots that you will be perma-ganked if you go to, however the vast majority of BZ maps are empty and available for gatherers and others.

Some of the issues that exist is that new players are not introduced into BZ content and map mechanics by the game; ie portal fountains. So when a new player enters a BZ portal map and gets ganked by portal gankers, they tend to avoid repeating the experience.

You also get the experience where royals players have been wearing gucci gear and killing random reds in RZ. They then enter BZ and lose their one set bankrupting themselves. Again, the player will tend to avoid repeating that, thus avoiding BZ.
    • Levianaught wrote:

I started playing Albion fairly recently. I immediately realized after watching some guides that the Black Zone, regardless of the threat of other players, is absolutely the best place to be to make money, level up, do anything really worth your time. I worked up in the Royals (for about a day), to about 100k profit, then bought a mule and some T4 gear, and was on my way into the Black Zone. I made my money back in five minutes. I made about 400k in about 20 minutes after,doing a random T6-7 dungeon or whatever.

Now here's the kicker. I don't lose, silver. I might lose my items if I'm killed, but I literally have made 40x my original profit in 20 minutes, more money than I ever made, in total, on the Royal Continent in an actual days worth of play time. I trade 10k for 400k? (I actually made around 800k because I was able to make it back to the home portal with all my items gained, so technically 80x original profit!)

So my question is, who the fuck cares if we die and lose our items when silver never drops? I could buy 100 fucking donkeys, regardless of whether i'm murdered or not, with the money I made in 20 minutes.

So....where is the loss?

If I can run out, make a ton of silver and cannot lose it, what's stopping everyone from charging out into the Black Zone and powerleveling/silver mining, other than an irrational fear of losing 'gear', when gear is intrinsically silver, and thus, you really can't...lose it? All items technically are outrageously expendable. If I can make the silver without dropping a beat, then what inherently is the value of any item, other than it's temporary worth to the individual? Sure, you could lose all your items...but it's impossible to be in the hole unless you put yourself there.

I basically am saying that there is no way to lose Albion Online unless you make yourself lose.

We are all inevitable millionaires.
      your journey is still long way to go, someday you will feel frustration when time comes for you loosing millions in a secs in BZ.
    • I hate black zone with a passion, I used to get ganked every day by 99999 players (obviously this number is an exaggeration for those a bit short), yes 999999 players vs 1 lol. And the loss even if is not monetary is about time. You are loosing your time. Having to go back buy equipment again, buy a mount reequipping everything, traveling again etc. etc. Is a loss in every aspect, And when you have high gathering skills and equipment the value you gather can be quite huge, is annoying AF. To get stolen 1 or 2 hours of gameplay.

That said this is Albion and should be accepted and expected.

Black zone is free of risk only if you belong to a well positioned alliance that have territories with the materials you can collect. Other wise expect to be gangbanged a couple of times.

The post was edited 7 times, last by Magicsparkle ().

• Magicsparkle wrote:

Black zone is free of risk only if you belong to a well positioned alliance that have territories with the materials you can collect.
      Hi, Blue Army player here.

We arguably have the largest "safe" areas in the Black Zones.

Yet, we are not 100% safe. BA members get ganked every day still (and we literally have hideouts lining our transportation lanes). Our mages still get raided, and our outposts/castles still get attacked on the daily.

So even the "safest" guild has to be wary in the Black Zones. Thats how they are supposed to be designed.
      Gamer Dad. Old enough to know better, much too young to care.
    • I don't think players are as dumb as yall think. When you factor everything in -- cost, progression, loot, TIME, stress, gear, enjoyment, etc. -- yellow zones have a lot to offer. If it were just about maximizing profit and progression, the yes, black zones are a player's best bet, but those are not the only factors for why people play.
    • Its all sounds really easy if you wanna whole game go on donkey. But if you want to collect resources for crafting, it's different things. You can collect 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 resources only by t8 tools. Price of them on the royals are 60-90k/tool. Now, gathering gear is about 100/140k per part. You need mount who will be able to carry your resources, so you can basically choose between boar/lizard/combat mule and ox. Prices of them are 300k+.

And now. Imagine that you collect more than one resource, what is common. You are going to t8 map with 3 tools, one gathering gear, one mount, one weapon and few journals (30k for one). You literally start your gathering journal with about million on yourself. And you are not warrior, so any ganker can kill you easily.

Albion have few safe ways to earn. You dont even need black zone. You can do HCE or craft in the city. But game itself is not free of risk. I'm dying few times a day even if I'm experienced gatherer and live in black zone. The thing is, if you wanna do on black zone whatever more than went into dung, wait, do dung, repeat - you have to have not only big alliance, but albo group of friends who will be with you almost all the time. Other way, sooner or later you will meet 5 nice gankers ready to kill you, nice guild going back from dung or even nicer zvz group who is bored.
    • Riding on a donkey with cheap gear in the blackzone as a beginner is fun and profitable but over time your expectations will grow and you start to min max how to make the most silver in your time available to play albion. All of sudden everything below 1 million Silver per hour is not worth your time anymore and the value of your equipment you carry will raise.

On the long run that will yield great riches but it can happen that you get unlucky with a couple millions of gear + loot and getting ganked multiple times and die twice or tree times in a row, losing hours of grinding in a flash.

Thats when its hurt and pisses you off but thats also the beauty of albion.
      Ofc you could also always go back on your donky but if you long enough in the game you wont, unless you get a flash of nostalgia.