Buff Inner Focus (spears)

• Combat Balance
    • Buff Inner Focus (spears)

Since the speed on inner focus on spears W has been nerfed, daggers have been given deadly swipe, maces have been given a double leap, swords are getting their movespeed increased and being given a leap, bows have been given a knockback, cloth cowls have gotten an increased knockback, quarterstaves have been given a leap, etc... The game has changed drastically since this nerf and I think its time to revert it, if you look at the other abilities on the W it doesn't stack up, and even if you stack it with a sprint ability it lacks the mobility to force a fight which is poorly balanced because popping your sprint early naturally puts you at a huge disadvantage.
    • Hattenhair wrote:

Crude comparison of mobility provided by Deadly swipe to the default Run, alongside the Frost shot W, from the bow tree:
      Base MS - 5.5m/s
      60s interval - 2 Runs (30s ea.), 4 Frost shots (15s ea; including 0.3 cast time and 0.3s animation time + 0.1s margin of error, totalling at 0.7s), 15 Deadly swipes (4s ea; including 0.2 standtime and a margin of error for the animation of 0.1s totalling at 0.3s.)

Distance covered in 60s with 2 Runs:
      14s with 160% (3.3m extra advantage per second of run) = 46.2m of generated distance in comparison to an opponent walking at default speed (330m vs 376.2m covered)

Distance covered in 60s with 15 Deadly swipes:
      15 5m dashes with 4.5s of being locked into the animation (75m - 24.75m animation time which could have been spent walking) = 50.25m of generated distance.

Distance covered in 60s with 4 Frost shots:
      If not hitting the slow: 4 13m dashes with 0.7s of being locked into casts and animation (52m - 3.85m for animation/cast time) = 48.15m of generated distance.
      If hitting the slow (~1k IP bow/leather armor with 40% ~7s slow duration and ~56% CC resist) + additional 2.2m for 3.08s times 4 casts = 27.1m (75.25m total).

Distance covered in 60s with 4 Inner Focus'es:
      24s with 150% MS (2.75mps advantage in comparison to regular MS) = 66m - 39.6m (7.2s channeling the spell which could have been spent walking) = 26.4m of generated distance.

The mobility is severely lacking, that is true, yet this spell also provides Damage and CC duration bonuses unlike most dedicated mobility spells (fuck DS for being so versatile). While the pre-nerf homing claymore that can run 2 CRD rooms and still hit you with an E before depleting stacks due to a lack of mobs to hit is coming back, I can still see an issue where Pike becomes a self-stacking alternative to that in case the IF's mobility is buffed, which is kinda troublesome.

The channeling duration should definetly stay the way it is right now in case the Damage and CC bonuses are to stay aswell, as having a big red guy running towards you at mach speed without any anticipation mechanics to give the opponent time to react is a bad idea.
      If the Damage and CC duration bonuses were to be severely nerfed or removed this would either become a secondary gimmick as the Damage boost on Dash or just make the IF into another generic mobility spell.
      Considering the AA damage of spears was significantly buffed you would not want the spear line to have overwhelming mobility and overwhelming sustain damage at the same time.

Although this spell is underused I would not go for more than a 1% MS buff per stack, personally speaking. Increasing the duration is a bad idea aswell as that directly influences the CC/DPS.
      Even with a 1% MS per stack buff the distance advantage you will get from it will become 39.6mpm, upwards from 26.4mpm, which is really huge.

OR you could increase the duration by 1s and decrease the damage/CC bonuses by 0.5% per stack for a somewhat equivalent tradeoff.
      This would result in 37.4mpm.
      As for the damage increase:
      Just as an example I will assume spears do 100 damage per hit every second for 15s with IF prepop and avoid armor/damage bonuses besides IF.
      6 hits with 40% damage bonus + 9 hits with no bonuses = 1740 assumed damage.
      7 hits with 35% damage bonus + 8 hits with no bonuses = 1745 assumed damage.

The duration increase makes the buff more prone to purge, while at the same time the damage nerf alongside it makes burst damage less favourable over sustain damage (In theory this should be a slight nerf to oneshot Pikes and play to strengths of spears' sustain DPS bruiser role, at the same time making the AS passive more synegretic with IF due to more time under it's proc).

As for the CC duration it will allow to slide in a second Lunging Strike under the benefits of CC, while somewhat nerfing the suffocating Pike CC (Heron is somewhat underused and might suffer slightly aswell in an avalanche, making an IF W less favourable to pick).
      As for the Spirit Hunter I have no idea if it is used in conjunction with IF, so I won't make an argument on it besides pointing out that burst will be reduced.
      Glaive should be mostly unaffected as it is rarely picked in conjunction with IF.
      1h Spear will mostly experience a buff due to the MS bonus and the Damage/CC bonus will not touch it in a severe manner.
      Trident will feel this change as a mixed bag one, making it easier to chase down and pin down with CC but at the same time reducing CC duration and burst.

And thats pretty much it I guess.
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?
    • Hattenhair wrote:

Hattenhair wrote:

Crude comparison of mobility provided by Deadly swipe to the default Run, alongside the Frost shot W, from the bow tree:
      Base MS - 5.5m/s
      60s interval - 2 Runs (30s ea.), 4 Frost shots (15s ea; including 0.3 cast time and 0.3s animation time + 0.1s margin of error, totalling at 0.7s), 15 Deadly swipes (4s ea; including 0.2 standtime and a margin of error for the animation of 0.1s totalling at 0.3s.)

Distance covered in 60s with 2 Runs:
      14s with 160% (3.3m extra advantage per second of run) = 46.2m of generated distance in comparison to an opponent walking at default speed (330m vs 376.2m covered)

Distance covered in 60s with 15 Deadly swipes:
      15 5m dashes with 4.5s of being locked into the animation (75m - 24.75m animation time which could have been spent walking) = 50.25m of generated distance.

Distance covered in 60s with 4 Frost shots:
      If not hitting the slow: 4 13m dashes with 0.7s of being locked into casts and animation (52m - 3.85m for animation/cast time) = 48.15m of generated distance.
      If hitting the slow (~1k IP bow/leather armor with 40% ~7s slow duration and ~56% CC resist) + additional 2.2m for 3.08s times 4 casts = 27.1m (75.25m total).

Distance covered in 60s with 4 Inner Focus'es:
      24s with 150% MS (2.75mps advantage in comparison to regular MS) = 66m - 39.6m (7.2s channeling the spell which could have been spent walking) = 26.4m of generated distance.

The mobility is severely lacking, that is true, yet this spell also provides Damage and CC duration bonuses unlike most dedicated mobility spells (fuck DS for being so versatile). While the pre-nerf homing claymore that can run 2 CRD rooms and still hit you with an E before depleting stacks due to a lack of mobs to hit is coming back, I can still see an issue where Pike becomes a self-stacking alternative to that in case the IF's mobility is buffed, which is kinda troublesome.

The channeling duration should definetly stay the way it is right now in case the Damage and CC bonuses are to stay aswell, as having a big red guy running towards you at mach speed without any anticipation mechanics to give the opponent time to react is a bad idea.
      If the Damage and CC duration bonuses were to be severely nerfed or removed this would either become a secondary gimmick as the Damage boost on Dash or just make the IF into another generic mobility spell.
      Considering the AA damage of spears was significantly buffed you would not want the spear line to have overwhelming mobility and overwhelming sustain damage at the same time.

Although this spell is underused I would not go for more than a 1% MS buff per stack, personally speaking. Increasing the duration is a bad idea aswell as that directly influences the CC/DPS.
      Even with a 1% MS per stack buff the distance advantage you will get from it will become 39.6mpm, upwards from 26.4mpm, which is really huge.

OR you could increase the duration by 1s and decrease the damage/CC bonuses by 0.5% per stack for a somewhat equivalent tradeoff.
      This would result in 37.4mpm.
      As for the damage increase:
      Just as an example I will assume spears do 100 damage per hit every second for 15s with IF prepop and avoid armor/damage bonuses besides IF.
      6 hits with 40% damage bonus + 9 hits with no bonuses = 1740 assumed damage.
      7 hits with 35% damage bonus + 8 hits with no bonuses = 1745 assumed damage.

The duration increase makes the buff more prone to purge, while at the same time the damage nerf alongside it makes burst damage less favourable over sustain damage (In theory this should be a slight nerf to oneshot Pikes and play to strengths of spears' sustain DPS bruiser role, at the same time making the AS passive more synegretic with IF due to more time under it's proc).

As for the CC duration it will allow to slide in a second Lunging Strike under the benefits of CC, while somewhat nerfing the suffocating Pike CC (Heron is somewhat underused and might suffer slightly aswell in an avalanche, making an IF W less favourable to pick).
      As for the Spirit Hunter I have no idea if it is used in conjunction with IF, so I won't make an argument on it besides pointing out that burst will be reduced.
      Glaive should be mostly unaffected as it is rarely picked in conjunction with IF.
      1h Spear will mostly experience a buff due to the MS bonus and the Damage/CC bonus will not touch it in a severe manner.
      Trident will feel this change as a mixed bag one, making it easier to chase down and pin down with CC but at the same time reducing CC duration and burst.

And thats pretty much it I guess.
      The difference is you have to stand there and charge it, and with none of those other spells you do. It isn't even close if you play the game and use my build you would know that.
    • JonnnyBones wrote:

The difference is you have to stand there and charge it, and with none of those other spells you do. It isn't even close if you play the game and use my build you would know that.
      Well if you actually read my post you would see that I included the channeling time in mobility calculations. You dont get a 40% damage and CC duration boosts alongside MS bonus from an instant-pop skill, that would be just broken as fuck due to lack of anticipation mechanics. The ability to interrupt it is there because it's not just a generic mobility spell too, it's a serious self-buff.
      If you want more mobility on the spell the best course would be to trade some of the damage/CC bonus for spell duration which I explained, again, in the post above.

"It isn't even close if you play the game and use my build you would know that."
      Well post the fucking build you dork; As of now this looks like nothing but a "I'm better than u, u wouldn't know" shit argument.
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?