Bountys, Bounty hunting profession

• Small-scale/Solo PvP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bountys, Bounty hunting profession

A Bounty hunting profession should be added to the game. Being able to post bounties on other players and guilds and alliances. The Bounty should be paid out to the players who kill the said player with a Bounty, to stop people from abusing this system you could have the Bounty pay out 25% of what their gear value estimates cost are. This would stop players from having friends cashing in on their Bounty. Who would want to have gear trash and only get 25%-50% of what it was worth. Mad at the people who just ganked you while transporting. Put a Bounty on their head. This would also encourage people to flag red in red zones much more because the possibility of someone coming through with a high Bounty on their head. Could also add a npc to track certain people's movements to make hunting the players easier. :evil: :evil:
    • To expand on this, here are my thoughts to help work out the issues that lead to players abusing a bounty system.

1) you must have 150k pvp fame to register as a bounty hunter, same amount as the general fame for faction enlistment, AND it costs 3k gold to register.

2) bounties can be put on anyone and never expire, but there is a cool-down time after the bounty is filled before another can be placed on you. I would say a week is fair.

3) anyone that has you as a friend or in the same alliance as you cannot claim the bounty

4) bounty rewards are non-tradable tokens that are split by the 3 players who do the most damage to the target.

5) the tokens are taken to the bounty merch to be traded to unlock vanity items for your account.

6) if you have a bounty on you and you manage to kill hunter, you get increased pvp fame for the kill and depending on if your rep is good or bad increased rep adjustment.

7) the bounty price is based on the gold price and is related to who much vanity items cost. the min bounty would be 3 tokens before the bounty is issued, so more than 1 player can contribute to the bounty if desired. for example; it costs 450 gold for some headgear vanity items. if each bounty token costs 50 gold, it would require 150 gold to start the bounty. Other players could add to it to make it higher. but it would need to be in increments of 1 token. Then you would have to earn 9 tokens to trade for a bounty hunter headgear item that is applied to your account.

In all of this, I am trying to balance the fun of the idea w/ the potential to exploit the system. I think it is possible to have the hunter tokens to be tradable just like arena tokens but I would want someone else to chime in on the risks for exploit that are worse than arena, crystal league, or even GvG where they are boosting their points w/ easy fights to get the mounts.

I don't like an NPC for tracking, but I do like the idea of a bounty "tip" that you could buy and use. it would act like a dungeon map and just highlight the zone and are in that zone you were last seen in. These maps would also be purchased from the bounty NPC w/ gold for the specific bounty you are hunting. Once the bounty is collected, the tips are trashed.
    • Blenfjorn - yeah... people keep talking about it but non have good ideas and the feedback I keep getting is "if there is a way to make it work", so I just figured I would document ideas to see if anything better is found. The other proposals all seemed to have some good and some flawed ideas. It would be good to put it to bed as something that will never happen, OR work out game mechanics that would work so the devs can take the logic and apply it as time permitts.
    • I don't see it working in any way because, as said many times, people will have their friends collect. I will try to answer everything individually.

Starting from the OP's idea to have it be a percentage of the gear dropped.... That happens already, that little bit of silver that drops to the floor after each death. Are you saying it should be more in the case of a bounty added? If the person killed is adding a bounty, we must assume money is coming out of their silver reserve, yes? Then where does that silver go? How does the bounty system factor in the money debited from the bounty maker, and also factor in the gear the killer is wearing when he/she dies? Also with this idea, the killer can let someone else kill him, or just suicide, while naked, and the bounty is gone. What happens to the silver the bounty maker put up then? This sounds like A LOT of coding to factor in all of this.

Ok now Grrwal's post. Everything you put sounds really cool when you say it, but a friend can still collect the bounty by unfriending the friend or using his/her alt. Even people's gathering alts usually have 150k PvP fame easily. It is always going to be easy to work around a bounty system. Ultima Online had one and got rid of it because people collected their own bounty with these methods.

If people want a bounty system so bad, the NPC idea is the best one. Have a bounty board where you can sign up for one bounty a day (or no limit, whatever). So lets say there is a bounty on the head of Athos. Great, you sign up for that bounty, and you find a dungeon that has Athos. Kill him, see the NPC again, and collect your bounty. That could open a new can of worms with people popping into Solo Dungeons and leaving when they see it isn't a Keeper Dungeon, so it doesn't actually have to be a dungeon NPC, they can have various named NPCs throughout the land who randomly spawn.

The idea of a bounty hunter is fun. The idea of the bounties being on players will always be exploited. NPC bounty is the way to go if they want to add this. They can even make a "Bounties Collected" stat or a Bounty Hunter ranking. You can't go for certain bounties unless you collect up to a certain amount first. A lot to work with here if the bounties are strictly on NPC mobs and not players. Bounties on players just doesn't work.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Blenfjorn ().

• Thanks for the reply. I was trying to address the issues w/ players collecting it by requiring gold to be spent to register as a bounty hunter AND the rewards are vanity items that are bound to the toon. This forces players to seriously consider if it's worth it and the only reward is looking cooler.

The NPC bounty is interesting but we kind of have that already w/ the aspects and Old White in that they are rare and offer large rewards. If they did NPC bounties, it would have to be outworld mobs. It could be designated similar to enchanted resources and move around till the bounty is collected. The thing is the devs are already releasing the mob buff to give players better rewards for killing mobs that have not been killed lately.

You are right about it being a lot of work to implement, so that was why I thought having to pay for bounties with gold ensures that players are either spending IRL money to set one up OR depleting their silver reserves for someone else to get a vanity skin that cannot be traded.
    • Reddington01 wrote:

What if you get bounted and kiill yourself naked with an alt account and then claim the bounty
      I know the idea is kind of weird, but maybe the system could work in such a way that there is no way you could make money out of it than the money you would lose. Let’s say a player puts a 1m bounty on another player. Any player that kills the player with the bounty wins silver equivalent to 40% of the PvP fame yielded. The chance of gear trashing + the fact that only a % of the PvP fame would make it unprofitable to just place bounty on yourself and claim it.

The silver pool is consumed slowly until it is depleted. The player that placed a bounty then gets a notification. The point of the bounty system wouldn’t be to make a player you hate have a bad time, but to know how much of a bad time he had? :rolleyes:

Players would also know if there is a bounty placed on a certain player by checking their stats, which would increase just a little bit the likelihood of that player being chased. The system would be working as an interesting silver sink. If a player places a bounty on a player that already has a bounty on him, it will be consumed after the previous amount was consumed, etc.

I think it would be interesting to check a player and see how much are ppl paying for their head lol. That doesn’t create a bounty Hunter profession, but it makes us all bounty hunters :D
      Staff of Balance is not dead! Royal March was* :)
    • Reddington01 wrote:

What if you get bounted and kiill yourself naked with an alt account and then claim the bounty
      Technically you are not supposed to interact w/ your alts outside of cities, islands, and other locations that don't allow combat. Beyond that, my proposal doesn't offer rewards that can be transferred or converted. So in your case, all you end up with is an alt that gets tokens they can't trade for vanity skins.

On top of that, the requirement to pay 3k gold to register as a bounty hunter AND 150k pvp fame means players would have a decent amount of time invested into the char they are using for hunting.

Beyond that, if a player is willing to pay 3k gold to register as a hunter, they still need someone to setup the bounties. You could require that bounties cannot be setup by guildies or friends and there is a 7 day cool-down on leaving a guild or deleting a friend before you put a bounty on them.
    • Player bounties should just remain within guilds/alliances and not a mechanic in the game. A player can say to their guild mates "I will give a million silver to whoever shows me proof of kill on (insert player name here). Then it isn't a game mechanic that can be exploited, and the bounty maker can know the person was killed legitimately. They can say "naked kills don't count or must be in at least T6 gear, etc."

The ideas being suggested to get around the exploitation are wayyyyy out there and don't really seem to be worth all the effort on SBI's part. Pay 3,000 gold for the chance to possibly earn skins that can't be sold/traded? And how long before there are a bunch of complaints that people can't sell those skins?

A bounty system where extra PvP fame is earned instead of money will also be manipulated for the extra PvP fame.

Please tap out here. Player bounty system doesn't have a worth while workaround.

Still think there is potential for NPC bounties though.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Blenfjorn ().

• Blenfjorn - thank you for the civil discourse on the topic. I agree that if it were to be implemented as an official feature, it has to be worth it to both SBI and the players while not being overly exploitable. For now, I concede, but I am glad the thoughts are documented.
    • It can be done: Add a bounty middleman npc to each city that takes and dispenses bounty contracts. The bounty issuer pays double the bounty amount to the middleman to put a name on the wanted list. At the other end, the bounty hunter specify the names on the wanted list that he is hunting and pays 10% of the bounty as deposit to the middleman. The middleman informs the hunter the location of his hunt. The bounty and deposit are mailed to the hunter once he has completed a contract. If the contract isn't completed after 3 days on the wanted list, the name is auto-canceled and the issuer is refunded 100% and any hunter deposit is forfeited.

Edit: The middleman gets 100% of the bounty amount if the contract is completed. If the contract failed, he gets 10% for every hunter that failed. The issuer gets full refund after 3 days if the contract wasn't completed. The hunter gets the bounty if he completed the contract, and pays 10% the bounty amount as fine if he failed. Good incentive to all three parties involved.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Feix ().

• Feix wrote:

It can be done: Add a bounty middleman npc to each city that takes and dispenses bounty contracts. The bounty issuer pays double the bounty amount to the middleman to put a name on the wanted list. At the other end, the bounty hunter specify the names on the wanted list that he is hunting and pays 10% of the bounty as deposit to the middleman. The middleman informs the hunter the location of his hunt. The bounty and deposit are mailed to the hunter once he has completed a contract. If the contract isn't completed after 3 days on the wanted list, the name is auto-canceled and the issuer is refunded 100% and any hunter deposit is forfeited.

Edit: The middleman gets 100% of the bounty amount if the contract is completed. If the contract failed, he gets 10% for every hunter that failed. The issuer gets full refund after 3 days if the contract wasn't completed. The hunter gets the bounty if he completed the contract, and pays 10% the bounty amount as fine if he failed. Good incentive to all three parties involved.
      I like the idea, just one flaw: let’s say someone puts a bounty on you. You can still claim the bounty for yourself with one of your alts :(
      Staff of Balance is not dead! Royal March was* :)