Island Optimize

• User Interface

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Midgard wrote:

Unangwata wrote:

Automation on the other hand turns you into zombie, you want game playing itself for you..
      When we have a pile of logs do we have to refine them one click at a time or is it a single click and a channel?When we craft a bunch of gear to we have to craft each item with a click or is it a single click and a channel?
      When we use silver bags or tomes do we have to click each one to use it or is it a single click or a channel? (used to be multiple clicks .. they changed it)

So why when you want to harvest a farm to you need to click multiple times rather than a single click and a channel?

Repetitive clicking to this degree is simply bad game design
      Sadly this game is not modern manufacture simulation. This is medieval (sort of) theme. Speaking of simulation, harvesting everything with once click doesn't make game feel more realistic, which to some degree is part of any game. You could as well complain about waiting when fishing. Waiting, effort, or routine is part you must pay to get the reward. With crafting NPC does that for you, u pay with mats. On the other hand making everything automated and fast would make the game look ridiculous.

Seriously, if you got to this stage when you can't take time to harvest and water your plants then you should consider that you are already chasing a monkey and everything else is distraction. Virtual greed, or whatever may be, you are not playing game anymore, you have monkey in your head and she have no patience at all, everything is a distraction from whatever she is after. I would take break from the game at this point.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Unangwata ().

• Midgard wrote:

Unangwata wrote:

Automation on the other hand turns you into zombie, you want game playing itself for you..
      When we have a pile of logs do we have to refine them one click at a time or is it a single click and a channel?When we craft a bunch of gear to we have to craft each item with a click or is it a single click and a channel?
      When we use silver bags or tomes do we have to click each one to use it or is it a single click or a channel? (used to be multiple clicks .. they changed it)

So why when you want to harvest a farm to you need to click multiple times rather than a single click and a channel?

Repetitive clicking to this degree is simply bad game design
      No, however you or someone else had to take the time to manually go to each tree and cut the logs.
      Max Spec Fishing, Leather, Quarterstaff, Off-Hand Torches
      Almost Max Spec Bows, Daggers, Nature Staff
    • WetWilly wrote:

No, however you or someone else had to take the time to manually go to each tree and cut the logs.
      Correct. And they cut multiple logs from each tree with a single click and a channel ... not clicking multiple times. What do you do in the 10 seconds it takes to gather those logs by the way? Go AFK?
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Unangwata wrote:

Sadly this game is not modern manufacture simulation. This is medieval (sort of) theme. Speaking of simulation, harvesting everything with once click doesn't make game feel more realistic, which to some degree is part of any game
      fantastic point. Lets make refining and crafting one click for EVERY piece of resource you refine and EVERY item you craft eh ... after all we want more realism dont we .. no matter how much game design and playability suffers ...
      Midgard
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

WetWilly wrote:

Correct. And they cut multiple logs from each tree with a single click and a channel ... not clicking multiple times. What do you do in the 10 seconds it takes to gather those logs by the way? Go AFK?
      No...exactly my point....you can't really go AFK...there are mobs, and PKers running around.

Everything you have mentioned continues to make my point for me.
    • I have two things to say:

- For those who want to keep clicking every area in a plot, nobody is arguing that it should go away. So if you feel that clicking once instead of nine times takes away from the game, you can still click nine times. Nobody is advocating to remove that. Now, if the argument is that you don't want other people to do less clicks, then I'd ask why.

- For those who say it'll crash the economy, so what? Even if that were to happen, this is a game, everything in it is virtual. If farming stops being profitable, nobody loses their livelihood. People can just do something else instead. But, honestly, I doubt it would have as much impact on the market as players who farm 20-30 islands.
    • The clicking increases the risk for repetitive strain injuries (RSI). This is a software ergonomics problem. The current interface is really bad from this point of view. It should be changed to a channel to reduce this kind of health risks. There are other threads on the forum where people with RSI problems complain that they can't do the islands because so many clicks are necessary.
    • WetWilly wrote:

No...exactly my point....you can't really go AFK...there are mobs, and PKers running around.
      How about house building/upgrades on an island. 100% safe, and yet SBI CHANGED the mechanic to reduce the number of clicks required to load in resources, instead replacing with a channel. The same with silver bags and tomes .. so there are multiple examples of click intensive activities in safe areas that have been changed.

Anyone who's been around for any length of time and knows something of the game will realise that SBI have introduced mechanics for various activities to make it less of a clickfest and replaced it with a channel, as SBI realise it isnt good gameplay and quality of life improvements are important. Those same people will also know that farming hasnt had an update in a long while, and is in much need of some love in the way of QoL improvements ...
      Midgard
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • The amount of profit I get from farms will never amount to the broken mouse I got, which is now spazzing out every time I lightly touch the LMB.
      Doing my 3 islands for a year amounts to about 1 million of clicks. And 1 million clicks is about 1/20 of a gaming mouse's lifetime on average... just doing gardens in albion...
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?
    • Midgard wrote:

WetWilly wrote:

How about house building/upgrades on an island. 100% safe, and yet SBI CHANGED the mechanic to reduce the number of clicks required to load in resources, instead replacing with a channel. The same with silver bags and tomes .. so there are multiple examples of click intensive activities in safe areas that have been changed.

Anyone who's been around for any length of time and knows something of the game will realise that SBI have introduced mechanics for various activities to make it less of a clickfest and replaced it with a channel, as SBI realise it isnt good gameplay and quality of life improvements are important. Those same people will also know that farming hasnt had an update in a long while, and is in much need of some love in the way of QoL improvements ...
      Irrelevant. Buildings and Upgrading buildings is not a gathering or production skill.
    • Midgard wrote:

WetWilly wrote:

Irrelevant. Buildings and Upgrading buildings is not a gathering or production skill.
      Refining and crafting are though .. and done in complete safety with a single click and a channel ... not 1 click per item.
      Someone still had to do the clicking to gather....you are talking all around in circles around something you can't quite get to the center of without admitting that all gathering involves lots of mouse clicks, whether it's ores, stones, wood, hides, fibers, fish, or farming.
    • Hellements wrote:

Farming has already seen some quality of life changes that made it a lot easier as @noxmortus mentioned.

It's already an activity that scales with time investment. Making changes to it by allowing mass harvesting or mass planting would eventually result in crop prices dropping. This would be hurtful to the players who just have access to one island and would only benefit those that have access to many islands as it saves them a lot of time.

Speeding up certain activities is always a balancing act and has to be looked at carefully.

- Hellements
      No one is asking that things get sped up. TBH I would trade a bit more time to be able to do my farms with fewer clicks.

There was an economics meeting nearly 2 years ago. Many topics were discussed and Farming was probably the last one covered. the unanimous consensus of all participants is that Farming is far to click intensive. if you are raising any kind of animal it is even worse. Place baby animal. Feed baby animal, nurture baby animal, pick up baby animal, pick up adult animal, then you have to place the baby animal that you just picked up, back down. Why do we even Have to pick up the baby animal?

No one in that economics meeting suggested that devs should make farming take Less time. We all would have been happy if you could just have a channel that would take the same amount of time as the current mechanic. One of my former guild members actually had to stop playing the game because of RSI caused by farming.
      Good luck and Good skill!
      My referral link: albiononline.com/?ref=XK8PRWZMEE

The post was edited 1 time, last by Saffiana ().

• Comes down to how much people value their time. There currently does not exist any tangible between a new player and a 5 year player when it comes to farming (ignoring focus benefits).

Some suggestions:

* Include a nominal "farming-premium" to pay per island (say at the seed/animal merchant) to allow people to collectively harvest/plan/feed etc
      this becomes a silver sink
      lets those who value their time a bit more to pay for the reduced burden

* Include an Avalonian "farming-tool" that allows you to collectively harvest/plan/feed etc (ie. watering can, feedbag)
      no need to increase % of successful harvest
      a "premium" item for serious farmers. Saves some time for the one-off purchase
      new crafted item, silver sink through trades+repairs
    • To me the problem is not the amount of clicks, but how boring is to farm the islands and fill the laborers.

There is no surprise factor, there is no strategy, there is zero thought on it, it's just repeat the same sequence, every single day. It doesn't matter what you do, you will get similar results. There is no good or bad day, everyday you get what you expected, and everyday you will do the same.

The post was edited 1 time, last by TioJuance ().

• Hellements wrote:

Farming has already seen some quality of life changes that made it a lot easier as @noxmortus mentioned.

It's already an activity that scales with time investment. Making changes to it by allowing mass harvesting or mass planting would eventually result in crop prices dropping. This would be hurtful to the players who just have access to one island and would only benefit those that have access to many islands as it saves them a lot of time.

Speeding up certain activities is always a balancing act and has to be looked at carefully.

- Hellements
      Generally it is a very good approach to automate all the boring grind that people don't enjoy in order to spare them some time to do the things they do enjoy in the game.

I genuinely believe that the approach of "kill 1000 npcs to level a skill" or "click 1000 times to mine 100 ore" are so much outdated in modern games that they just need to go.
    • I think a solution to this could be to introduce some kind of worker NPC that you could hire. You just talk to him and it automatically harvests all your stuff, but it takes more time to do so than to do it yourself. There could possibly even be multiple NPCs, like a manager for labourers, a farmer for livestock, a quatermaster for crafting buildings, etc. They would have settings and the resources would need to be on hand somehow, but once it was set up I don't think that it would necessarily impact the economy if the time scale was balanced correctly, it could even make it more profitable for manual labourers if most of the large scale farmers decide to automate instead.