Arcane Staff - Energy Beam

• Combat Balance
    • Arcane Staff - Energy Beam

This was a pretty early ability in the game and it seems completely outstripped for viability by other items for restoring energy to your team and way too slow to be effective versus enemies considering it locks you into a channel.

So, here's a few ideas for it anyway:

1. Silencing Beam
      Enemy Cast: Does not interrupt currently casting spells, but prevents further spells being cast while channelled. The purpose of this would be to essentially lock both you and an enemy out of your skills.
      No ally cast.

2. Energy Beam (V2.0)
      Enemy Cast: Drains 15% of the target's current energy per second for 6 seconds.
      Ally Cast: Restores 10% of missing energy to your target, Allies near the target restore 50% of the amount.
      This means it would drain 62% of someone's energy if they started at full energy. But the effect gets weaker the lower their energy (since you are draining current energy). This means it can never drain someone entirely, but it can quickly put them into an Arcane Bolt danger zone.
      The restore is an alternative to a druid cowl, benefitting restoring a low-energy high-max mana target.

3. Chrono Beam
      Enemy Cast: Slows the target by 10% every 0.33 seconds for 2 seconds, stacking up to 6 times over 4 seconds.
      Ally Cast: Speeds an ally up by 10% every 0.33 seconds for 2 seconds, stacking up to 6 times over 4 seconds.
      Still channelled, cannot be cast on self. A lesser version of the gateway on E, channelling to speed up a single ally or slow a single enemy. It has the advantage of having a greater impact on speed, but locks you in place, making it a team tool. Can be cancelled at 2 seconds for max stacks, but a shorter overall duration.

I had considered a damaging beam, but Empowering beam is essentially the damage beam. It just relies on allies, which is pretty in keeping with arcane.
    • i think the silencing beam & chrono beam are intresting concepts
      the energy beam you propose is insanely overtuned tho as even right now people run royal armor which drains ~40 energy per use (30s CD) and thats putting a lot of people out of mana especially healers who already run lym cape they are being forced to run energy pots aswell
    • Lolpetijn wrote:

i think the silencing beam & chrono beam are intresting concepts
      the energy beam you propose is insanely overtuned tho as even right now people run royal armor which drains ~40 energy per use (30s CD) and thats putting a lot of people out of mana especially healers who already run lym cape they are being forced to run energy pots aswell
      I definitely get your point. Energy is a difficult one though. Depending on how much someone is doing, their energy could drain fast or be essentially infinite.

The main question is, if there are people so dependant on energy, why is Energy Beam still underused?

Perhaps the better version would be a flat drain + increased energy costs. That way they get a similar drain to now, but if they are casting during that time, their energy is getting chunked. This can provide a sizable drain, but retains counterplay.
    • Fikule wrote:

Lolpetijn wrote:

i think the silencing beam & chrono beam are intresting concepts
      I definitely get your point. Energy is a difficult one though. Depending on how much someone is doing, their energy could drain fast or be essentially infinite.
      The main question is, if there are people so dependant on energy, why is Energy Beam still underused?

Perhaps the better version would be a flat drain + increased energy costs. That way they get a similar drain to now, but if they are casting during that time, their energy is getting chunked. This can provide a sizable drain, but retains counterplay.
      Could work.
      The reason noone uses energy drain on W is cause cleanse & mimic are generally more useful and energy drain will simply be interrupted and if its not its still not the end of the world