Fun as long as it lasted. This game is not for casuals.

    • Fun as long as it lasted. This game is not for casuals.

      I've been playing Albion for about 2 months now and been enjoying it as a casual thing. Doing dungeons, gathering, crafting. trying different "classes", trying to find a aspect of the game I could sink my teeth into. Farming on the island and playing the economy game has been my favourite part so far, I just wish there were more farming plots. Anyway couple of days ago I got into fishing. It is a nice and relaxing thing to do while binging Netflix, and it is an active thing I could do in game whereas farming is a once per day thing.
      I've been staying away from red, and black zones because I'm not a big fan of "loose everything on death" games unless it is a rougelike game when you progress in someway when you die. But I've reached a point where i could start fishing in a T6 zone. So I'would try it out see how it is. Who the hell wants to gang a fisherman anyway. After fishing peacefully for 3 hours I got steamrolled by some players, lost the fish, my journals, and the gear I've been gathering and crafting over the last 2 months. I guess there is no exception for non-combat players everyone gets ganked. I havent felt this bad about a game death ever, that was devestating, seeing weeks of work put into a character disappear in few seconds. This is the first time I've uninstalled a game after a loss ingame.
      Anyway, I hope at somepoint there will be a way to progress to some sort of endgame for casuals like me.

      Over and out.
      Xith

      PS: endgame for me was reaching T8 and do farming/fishing, maybe explore other aspects of the game after reaching T8.
    • You don't like the idea of losing everything on death. Yet, you chose to play one of the only mmos where you lose everything on death. You knowingly left the safe zone to fish in an area where you lose everything on death, and now, you're complaining you lost everything on death. What did you expect to happen?

      The irony here is that full loot on death is what makes the economy worthwhile. Tradeskills are garbage in other mmos because of the rampant inflation that's caused by gear never getting removed from the economy.
    • Ixrak wrote:

      You don't like the idea of losing everything on death. Yet, you chose to play one of the only mmos where you lose everything on death. You knowingly left the safe zone to fish in an area where you lose everything on death, and now, you're complaining you lost everything on death. What did you expect to happen?

      The irony here is that full loot on death is what makes the economy worthwhile. Tradeskills are garbage in other mmos because of the rampant inflation that's caused by gear never getting removed from the economy.
      I get your point and the full loot system was the thing that almost made me not try the game, but I ended up being stuck at T5 and needed to go to T6 to progress further. I didnt think full loot included your inventory. I didnt mind loosing my gear except for 1 piece, but loosing the stuff I had farmed felt bad, because this means i have to go back to T1 and start by farming there and do the progression over again to be able to craft T6 gear again, assuming that I didnt have any leftover materials on my island/bank or didnt have any silver.

      Without people farming and crafting there would not be much gear besides the gear that rarely drops in dungeons. Most MMOs have some sort of binding gear when you equip it, so you cant resell it like in Albion or the gear is not repairable.
      The problem here is that you cannot really play a crafter/gatherer in Albion, because the gathering gear will always be less powerfull than combat gear and there is not much you can do against a mob of players.

      I personally like to play the economy/gatherer/crafter game in MMOs, but I guess that is impossible abover T5 in Albion if you are a solo player and just want to decompress after a workday. Bare in mind I am relative new to Albion so I'm dont understand the aspects of the endgame fully .
      And since I play on Linux, Albion is one of the few MMOs I can run, which is greatly appreciated. But now I need to find myself something more solo/casual friendly.
    • Xithmeister wrote:

      Ixrak wrote:

      You don't like the idea of losing everything on death. Yet, you chose to play one of the only mmos where you lose everything on death. You knowingly left the safe zone to fish in an area where you lose everything on death, and now, you're complaining you lost everything on death. What did you expect to happen?

      The irony here is that full loot on death is what makes the economy worthwhile. Tradeskills are garbage in other mmos because of the rampant inflation that's caused by gear never getting removed from the economy.
      I get your point and the full loot system was the thing that almost made me not try the game, but I ended up being stuck at T5 and needed to go to T6 to progress further. I didnt think full loot included your inventory. I didnt mind loosing my gear except for 1 piece, but loosing the stuff I had farmed felt bad, because this means i have to go back to T1 and start by farming there and do the progression over again to be able to craft T6 gear again, assuming that I didnt have any leftover materials on my island/bank or didnt have any silver.
      Without people farming and crafting there would not be much gear besides the gear that rarely drops in dungeons. Most MMOs have some sort of binding gear when you equip it, so you cant resell it like in Albion or the gear is not repairable.
      The problem here is that you cannot really play a crafter/gatherer in Albion, because the gathering gear will always be less powerfull than combat gear and there is not much you can do against a mob of players.

      I personally like to play the economy/gatherer/crafter game in MMOs, but I guess that is impossible abover T5 in Albion if you are a solo player and just want to decompress after a workday. Bare in mind I am relative new to Albion so I'm dont understand the aspects of the endgame fully .
      And since I play on Linux, Albion is one of the few MMOs I can run, which is greatly appreciated. But now I need to find myself something more solo/casual friendly.
      You just need to adapt,
      Do you want to fish? just take a good fishing rod and the others you can buy the cheapest things(Like Horse T3, double-blade staff T4, T4.1 armors, boots and helmet, and no cape and no book).
      You will make less money because you are risking less, but you will not feel bad if you lose.

      While you play the game you will learn more and get experienced and it will make you want to risk more to gather more. And you will see, it worth the risk if you know how to use.
      Just respect your feeling, and take step by step, don't jump too far too soon.

      Maybe one day you will feel good about the adrenaline for the full loot
      :)
    • Xithmeister wrote:

      bank it how, go back to town ?
      That is one way. If there's a public hideout, that's another. There's also chests that you can purchase a tab in the open world as a personal bank.

      It's a common misconception that you need to craft your own stuff in Albion. You can simply acquire items straight from the market or utilize Buy Orders to get them even cheaper.

      Pro-tip: Never enter/stay in the red/black zone with stuff that you'd be sad if you lost. After gathering for 30 minutes to an hour, you can return to bank, or just eat the fish.

      The good news is that you don't lose your levels/progress in fishing, so even dying can't take that away from you. Think of the occasional death as an investment.
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

      T8 Gatherer
      T7 Fishing
      700 Holy Spec
    • Xithmeister wrote:

      I've been playing Albion for about 2 months now and been enjoying it as a casual thing. Doing dungeons, gathering, crafting. trying different "classes", trying to find a aspect of the game I could sink my teeth into. Farming on the island and playing the economy game has been my favourite part so far, I just wish there were more farming plots. Anyway couple of days ago I got into fishing. It is a nice and relaxing thing to do while binging Netflix, and it is an active thing I could do in game whereas farming is a once per day thing.
      I've been staying away from red, and black zones because I'm not a big fan of "loose everything on death" games unless it is a rougelike game when you progress in someway when you die. But I've reached a point where i could start fishing in a T6 zone. So I'would try it out see how it is. Who the hell wants to gang a fisherman anyway. After fishing peacefully for 3 hours I got steamrolled by some players, lost the fish, my journals, and the gear I've been gathering and crafting over the last 2 months. I guess there is no exception for non-combat players everyone gets ganked. I havent felt this bad about a game death ever, that was devestating, seeing weeks of work put into a character disappear in few seconds. This is the first time I've uninstalled a game after a loss ingame.
      Anyway, I hope at somepoint there will be a way to progress to some sort of endgame for casuals like me.

      Over and out.
      Xith

      PS: endgame for me was reaching T8 and do farming/fishing, maybe explore other aspects of the game after reaching T8.
      Honestly, can you please explain me why do you even think of trying a game labeled as "hardcore full loot pvp mmorpg" to call yourself a "non combat player"???

      There are so many other pve, crafting and gathering focused mmorpg where pvp is either optional or non existant, yet you choose this game, the last "hardcore" full loot pvp dedicated mmorpg to play, and then complain because you got killed, in an open world full loot hardcore mmorpg...

      There is a trend of new players coming into albion, that play for a few weeks/months, doesn't adapt to the game style, and then come in here to complain about how they belive the game is badly designed. Why can't you pick any of the millions of pve dedicated games?

      The worst part is SBI is actually listening to this casual temporary playerbase, which will leave this game as soon as new world or any other shitty wow clone mmo comes out, and they are making stupid changes which are ruining the game's core.

      Like the removal of full loot in factioned fights for yellow and green maps.

      This game is all about losing all your stuff, over and over again, getting used to it, learning different builds to survive and fight, the true endgame comes when you can build yourself out of shit you've looted from dead corpses. Specially if you are in a big guild in black zone conquering whole maps.

      If you ever expected this game to be a good plain pve, or gathering simulator this is not the game for you.
    • My 8 year old kid plays Albion 2 or 3 times a week and goes stalker corrupted dungeons, runs around dying in caerleon zones and laughs his head off . He has 8 million silver which he has earnt himself . Sorry but if you can’t adapt or learn it’s your fault not the game
    • I disagree about non casual. Albion is one of the most casual games ive played, also you can live at yellow zone If you are scared. About fishing, It sucks If you dont have a good spot at Black. Fishing at royal continent nowadays is a waste of time and Will hurt your hand.
    • is all about risk/reward. U can stay in blue/yeallow zones OR go to red/black for better gather.

      AO is very casual. There is a lot of content for casuals, like DG, most zvz, gather and even some hg. Casual doest mean be braindead, is just non full engaged on competitive (high level cristals, high infamy CD and HG)
    • Clasics wrote:

      Xithmeister wrote:

      I've been playing Albion for about 2 months now and been enjoying it as a casual thing. Doing dungeons, gathering, crafting. trying different "classes", trying to find a aspect of the game I could sink my teeth into. Farming on the island and playing the economy game has been my favourite part so far, I just wish there were more farming plots. Anyway couple of days ago I got into fishing. It is a nice and relaxing thing to do while binging Netflix, and it is an active thing I could do in game whereas farming is a once per day thing.
      I've been staying away from red, and black zones because I'm not a big fan of "loose everything on death" games unless it is a rougelike game when you progress in someway when you die. But I've reached a point where i could start fishing in a T6 zone. So I'would try it out see how it is. Who the hell wants to gang a fisherman anyway. After fishing peacefully for 3 hours I got steamrolled by some players, lost the fish, my journals, and the gear I've been gathering and crafting over the last 2 months. I guess there is no exception for non-combat players everyone gets ganked. I havent felt this bad about a game death ever, that was devestating, seeing weeks of work put into a character disappear in few seconds. This is the first time I've uninstalled a game after a loss ingame.
      Anyway, I hope at somepoint there will be a way to progress to some sort of endgame for casuals like me.

      Over and out.
      Xith

      PS: endgame for me was reaching T8 and do farming/fishing, maybe explore other aspects of the game after reaching T8.
      Honestly, can you please explain me why do you even think of trying a game labeled as "hardcore full loot pvp mmorpg" to call yourself a "non combat player"???
      There are so many other pve, crafting and gathering focused mmorpg where pvp is either optional or non existant, yet you choose this game, the last "hardcore" full loot pvp dedicated mmorpg to play, and then complain because you got killed, in an open world full loot hardcore mmorpg...

      There is a trend of new players coming into albion, that play for a few weeks/months, doesn't adapt to the game style, and then come in here to complain about how they belive the game is badly designed. Why can't you pick any of the millions of pve dedicated games?

      The worst part is SBI is actually listening to this casual temporary playerbase, which will leave this game as soon as new world or any other shitty wow clone mmo comes out, and they are making stupid changes which are ruining the game's core.

      Like the removal of full loot in factioned fights for yellow and green maps.

      This game is all about losing all your stuff, over and over again, getting used to it, learning different builds to survive and fight, the true endgame comes when you can build yourself out of shit you've looted from dead corpses. Specially if you are in a big guild in black zone conquering whole maps.

      If you ever expected this game to be a good plain pve, or gathering simulator this is not the game for you.
      If you've read through the post you would have seen, that I play on Linux atm. I used to play WoW, GTA5, and Wticher on Windows, but my Windows PC died. Because of the chip shortage I still havent recieved my new Windows PC and wont until like september. My linux laptop is an old one and is build for software development therefor it has a GPU that can only run games that dont require much.
      It ended up being a choice between Runescape or Ablion. For some reason I could not get Runescape to work.

      I really enjoyed the player housing and the economy/crafting/gatherer aspect of Albion.

      I do not mind the full loot PvP system is in the game and I do not think it should be removed, maybe at some point I would have tried it.
      A good game usually has many different ways to "beat" it of reach the endgame. It is so cool that Albion support so many different play styles. Except for it doesnt after T5 (in my experience). I wish there was a way to opt out of the full loot PvP and only join in when you are ready. Like before WoW introduced "War Mode" there were PvE and PvP servers. I started out on PvE, but eventually played on PvP because after I learned how to play the game I wanted to try everything that it had to offer.

      Im not here to advocated to remove the core aspect of Albion (Full Loot). Im just here to tell about my experience as a new player and I would most likely have continued playing if there was a more smooth transition into full loot PvP and I could join it when I wanted to.

      But dont worry about me, I will go try Ashes of Creation when i get my Windows PC.

      PS: I made my first post in the heat of the moment, so it might have had a negative tone towards full loot PvP. But full loot is not the problem. Maybe if I could do "active" stuff on my island like farming or something else I would have just played that part of the game until I would have had enough silver for a decent T8 build and at that point I would have minded loosing all my stuff because I would have had a steady income from my island to eventually get a new set of gear. Would be nice if I could somehow have upgraded the water around my island so I could eventually get the basic higher tier fish.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Xithmeister ().

    • Here's the deal - if there is a way to opt-out of pvp, 90% of the population will do it, just so they can earn "safe" silver.
      What will happen instead is - the economy will crumble down, because as pointed above, the prices and profit entirely depend on people losing stuff.
      If you want to progress further, you have to make sure you can afford to lose the things you're wearing. The progress in blue/yellow zones is painfully slow, but hey some people like that and never go out of there. But it's a proper trade off - you have safety, but you don't have access to higher tier resources.
      Part of the learning process is - learn how to avoid getting ganked and how to risk stuff and still make profit.
      At some point, the gear you have is just another consumable. You die, you regear and you go again. Don't get attached to it and you will never be afraid to lose it :)
    • Derizo wrote:

      this game has been focusing on making the game more dull and easy to understand for the casual player base, removing PvP and adding PvE. you gotta be like insanely casual, candy crush player level to be too casual for this game
      Not every game is for everyone, and Albion should not change anything if it has a playerbase that enjoys the game. I think one of the reasons why WoW became a dull game is because they tried to cater to every one. Maybe my feedback is a confirmation that the game is doing what it is supposed to. It filters out the casuals that are trying to climb or it keeps them at T5.
      It was just a bad experience for me as a new player I guess, since I still dont understand the game fully. I risked and lost. Like in a casion if I go full in I might loose. After that i can either say "that was it" or go buy some more chips and continue playing. But subscribing just to log in once a day for farming/breeding purposes is not worth it. Albion has filtered me out as a casual and I will go play more "candy crush player level casual" games like WoW, whenever I will be missing that "fix" and get my new PC, or something else.
    • Xithmeister wrote:

      Derizo wrote:

      this game has been focusing on making the game more dull and easy to understand for the casual player base, removing PvP and adding PvE. you gotta be like insanely casual, candy crush player level to be too casual for this game
      Not every game is for everyone, and Albion should not change anything if it has a playerbase that enjoys the game. I think one of the reasons why WoW became a dull game is because they tried to cater to every one. Maybe my feedback is a confirmation that the game is doing what it is supposed to. It filters out the casuals that are trying to climb or it keeps them at T5.It was just a bad experience for me as a new player I guess, since I still dont understand the game fully. I risked and lost. Like in a casion if I go full in I might loose. After that i can either say "that was it" or go buy some more chips and continue playing. But subscribing just to log in once a day for farming/breeding purposes is not worth it. Albion has filtered me out as a casual and I will go play more "candy crush player level casual" games like WoW, whenever I will be missing that "fix" and get my new PC, or something else.
      yeah, actual playerbase isnt enjoying either tbf
      Feels bad when you're bad
    • TL;DR: OP ragequitted after being ganked
      This is why I love the game - you work for your progress and you will never be immune to loss of it. Who cares about meaningless pvp in other games?
      You casuals always complains about getting killed and loose. Get better or stop complaining.

      Xithmeister wrote:

      unless it is a rougelike game when you progress in someway when you die
      It is like this, you improve and learn with every death. You can also be ignorant and don't learn from your mistakes just to die in the exact same way next time.
    • not 100% sure but i know me and my friend BadlyBurned killed a guy using a masteripece t7 fishingrod and a crapton of journals in one of the red zones outside of Caerleon recently. If this was you (just send me a screenshot of deathlog in pm or something), and you want to give the game another shot, im happy to give you the silver equivalent of what you lost back to try again. But at its core the game is definitely full loot and if you dont think you will enjoy it as such, maybe for best to move on. But there is definitely tons of stuff to do in game casually, just dont carry around more than you can afford to replace in a red / black zone ever! The game is really no more hardcore / casual than any other mmorpg, just requires a different mindset to enjoy.