Blue/Yellow Zone Hellgates - Why the distance?

• Hellgates
    • Blue/Yellow Zone Hellgates - Why the distance?

In the developer diary, the reason that Hellgates spawn so far is to keep the danger of travel in black and red zones.

So why the 3-4 zone trek in blue/yellow zones? It feels more like a waste of time?

I'm just looking to slowly get better at PvP until I can do the full loot PvP, but 1/3rd of my time is just spent running around, and trying to convince someone else to spend hours of their night running around.
      The money and fame already doesn't compare to a yellow CD, so why the huge run around to experience PvP with a friend?
    • Fikule wrote:

So why the 3-4 zone trek in blue/yellow zones?
      System overload, mostly. In the weeks after the release of Call to Arms we saw such a high frequency of Hellgate maps being used around the cities that there weren't enough available spots for Hellgates or anything else. This caused stress on other types of content as well, so we were limited in our capacity for reduction.

However, since then we've gotten over the initial population spike and we've fixed a couple of issues that artificially limited the spots. I think we're at a point where we could evaluate the impact of a reduction, but we'd have to do so cautiously.
    • Obelis wrote:

Fikule wrote:

So why the 3-4 zone trek in blue/yellow zones?
      System overload, mostly. In the weeks after the release of Call to Arms we saw such a high frequency of Hellgate maps being used around the cities that there weren't enough available spots for Hellgates or anything else. This caused stress on other types of content as well, so we were limited in our capacity for reduction.
      However, since then we've gotten over the initial population spike and we've fixed a couple of issues that artificially limited the spots. I think we're at a point where we could evaluate the impact of a reduction, but we'd have to do so cautiously.
      Sounds great. I mean, I get the overload issue. Maybe the re-evaluation could simply be that it aims for close, but will extend the search if there's no spot available? If nothing else it would eventually push you out to a location where your next hellgates would be closer.

That way it also retains the overload protection for future patches

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fikule ().