Detailed Suggestion: Ocean Battles in Albion

• Detailed Suggestion: Ocean Battles in Albion

Just was looking over the map, and there seems to be so much wasted space in the blackzone for rivers and lakes that just isn't being utilized at all. The game needs more open world content, and with new open world content being the focus of the upcoming update, I wanted to get this suggestion out there. The below are some idea's on sailing for Albion:

I want to suggest the Ability to craft 2, 5, 10, and 20 man ships that you could bring onto different bodies of water, including around the water in the mists at the center of the blackzone (you could sail a 2 man ship solo).

Ideally, each part of the ship would be craftable, and have its own crafting and spec tree. The hull of the ship craftable with logs, the sail craftable with leather and cloth, and the cannons and anchor crafted with stone and ingots. You could then combine these parts to craft a 2, 5, 10, or 20 man ship, depending on the kind of parts you bought/crafted, similar to hellgate maps.

There would be unique resources only found on the sea, that would be gatherable from the ship. This would include floating sea logs (woodcutting), unique sea fishing nodes (fishing), cove hemp (harvesting), whales and sharks (skinning), coral poking out of the water (stone), and iron deposits found nearby the coral (mining).

There would be a brand new weapon tree for sea specific weaponry, which would be the only weaponry usable onboard the ship when the ship is in motion. These sea weapons would be craftable with the new sea resources. There would be sea spears, sea longbows, etc that could be used up until the point of boarding an enemy ship.

While moving through the ocean, if you encountered another ship, you could use your sea weaponry, to attempt to damage the ship enough to board it, if you successfully damaged an enemy ship enough, your captain could then use your ships boarding harpoon to pull the enemy ship closer, and your captain could then engage boarding (the ship being boarded would have no choice but to fight once this has started). Your sea weapons wouldn't do damage to enemy players, and you would have 30 seconds to switch to your pocket fight weapon before the boarding starts.

Once boarding starts, it would play out like any normal fight would, with the exception that if a 20 man ship boards a 2 man ship, the 2 man ship would get a significant berzerker buff during the boarding process. If you were on the winning side of a boarding attempt, your ships integrity would automatically be repaired to full strength, and you would have boarding immunity for a minute. You would also be able to scrap the enemy ship, and receive a portion of the materials used to craft it back as well as some silver. If you attack while your boarding immunity is up, you will lose the immunity.

All ships 2, 5, 10, and 20 man would have unique abilities similar to open world mounts now. The gallop mechanic would also carry over to ships, but it would be with and without wind. If you have been hit recently you would not have the benefit of the wind.
      There would be numerous open ocean bosses located on different islands with their own unique timers, and a new type of sea giant dungeon located only via ship with the difficulty of avalonian dungeons and maps that are similar as well. The sea giant dungeon would drop special artifacts used in crafting of artifact sea only weapons.

Please let me know what you think

The post was edited 1 time, last by AurumTitanos ().

• Hi! I really like your ideas very much but I have some criticisms about them:

1) It is not clear if you're thinking about a lot of "ocean" maps (with the task to reach a point to run away) where you'd sail, or just random maps that may be randomly invaded

2) A skirmish in a ship may be awful to be played, unless the ships are very large or something different comes out: The fights in this game are MOBA-like; there is no skill in actually being still and press some buttons to activate buffs, nor would be nice to watch.

3) Moving the ship: another awful thing would surely be the movement of the ships: they cannot move like characters in albion, with 0 delay. They should take into account wind (unless ships would use solely oars without sails), currents, have a "turning speed" and this requires a lot of work, and a whole new movement system.

4) Characters in Albion can carry goods, I'd expect ships being able to transport goods as well. If you can transport goods by sea, it would require far less time then using your land mounts (destroying the economy of a lot of players and the ganking part of the game, bringing it away from the land maps).

5) It is not clear where these ships should be built

I have shared some ideas of mine a couple of days ago, the thread is called Royal Routes Ideas. It would add the possibility for guilds to "build zones" between zones. A zone between a royal city and another zone would be a "City Quarter" zone, where you can build ports.
      As I've already written in that thread, I think it would be simpler to just make an eventual "navigation part" an offscreen part of the game, or a mini-game which may be played from mobile, if ever added to the game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Paercyfal ().

• I Feel Like a bunch of ocean maps would be dope, but have them string together more like the avalonian roads (This way it makes transport tricky, but by all means transport ships), than the regular maps, call it the winds are changing or some shit.

Different Islands or themes on each map. Giant water monsters for raid group skinning. Islands with dungeons or resources. you could go nuts. Add a load time to the boats so it gives time for pvpers to disembark and invade someone on an island. Defenders can dump loot and leave or fight for it.

It would make owning ports in the black zone on the outskirts something to fight over. Ports could be open to everyone like morgana's rest, just gotta get in. Go From one port to another, or sail to Royals (if you can navigate it because the winds are changing), they already got the starter ports.

They rocked fishing in this game, I'm sure they could give each individual on the ship tasks, some might be board because they are boarders. I wouldn't have the boats despawn anywhere but at the ports though, and you would want a crew on it to defend it, unless you are super confident. Stealing ships would be dope too.
    • Paercyfal wrote:

Hi! I really like your ideas very much but I have some criticisms about them:

1) It is not clear if you're thinking about a lot of "ocean" maps (with the task to reach a point to run away) where you'd sail, or just random maps that may be randomly invaded

2) A skirmish in a ship may be awful to be played, unless the ships are very large or something different comes out: The fights in this game are MOBA-like; there is no skill in actually being still and press some buttons to activate buffs, nor would be nice to watch.

3) Moving the ship: another awful thing would surely be the movement of the ships: they cannot move like characters in albion, with 0 delay. They should take into account wind (unless ships would use solely oars without sails), currents, have a "turning speed" and this requires a lot of work, and a whole new movement system.

4) Characters in Albion can carry goods, I'd expect ships being able to transport goods as well. If you can transport goods by sea, it would require far less time then using your land mounts (destroying the economy of a lot of players and the ganking part of the game, bringing it away from the land maps).

5) It is not clear where these ships should be built

I have shared some ideas of mine a couple of days ago, the thread is called "Royal Routes Ideas". It would add the possibility for guilds to "build zones" between zones. A zone between a royal city and another zone would be a "City Quarter" zone, where you can build ports.
      As I've already written in that thread, I think it would be simpler to just make an eventual "navigation part" an offscreen part of the game, or a mini-game which may be played from mobile, if ever added to the game.

1) There would no "ocean" maps at all. This content would be entirely open world. There would be zones because that is a limiting factor of Albion, but no maps. Instanced content is the downfall of an openworld social mmo.

2) Once boarding has started, each team would have a temporary buff similar to the knight helmet debuff for 10 seconds, which would allow them to cross onto the enemy ship while using ability, or stay on their own, their choice. This would allow running through any kind of hard CC on the boarding plank (planks (2) when a 10/20 man ship boards a 10/20 man ship). Yes, the fight would be an extremely close quarters fight and very fast, and so the meta for ship fights would be entirely different than anything else. Caster's / Healer's would be able to cast ability from their ship, onto the opposing ship, where melee's would need to cross the bridge to get to the caster's. This game is not a MOBA, nor should it strive to be one.

3) No wind, no current's, none of that. That is just not something Albion could have in game. Albion is very simplistic, and that's how it can manage such large scale battles with no lag. Adding in more features like that would just cause unnecessary development time and lag to the game. Turning would be exactly the same as steering a battle mount on land, no different. The gallop mechanic would be exactly the same as well. Re-using existing code where possible is crucial if this would be put into the game.

4) No, it can't carry goods, nor will it be used to traverse the blackzone more quickly than a traditional land based route. Ava roads already exist to facilitate quicker transport, this would not be the purpose of ships.

5) They will be built anywhere you want, assuming you have the parts crafted. No different than anything else in the game currently.
    • wind and current are just vectors that are easy to simulate. What's difficult is getting potentially hundreds of players onto moving platforms with different relative speeds. It can be done but I don't think it's been attempted at this scale before. either way it requires special network architecture that would need a great deal of time to implement. I'd rather SBI worked on adding more stuff to the current open world.
    • Syndic wrote:

SpicyPepper wrote:

Although it's a very cool concept. I doubt that it's feasible. It's like making a different game inside Albion.
      You mean like adding instanced 1v1 duels with special mechanics and then balancing the whole MMO around it? :D
      Nope. Instanced whatever it is, CD still follow Albion's core mechanic. Players still walk on the ground, spells are used the same, mobs, items are the same.

What he suggested is akin to adding Sea of Thieves as a game within WoW. It's not feasible, literally.
      Max spec 700/700 in staff, hammer, mace, and spear tree.
      Max spec 800/800 in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions crafters.
    • Syndic wrote:

SpicyPepper wrote:

Although it's a very cool concept. I doubt that it's feasible. It's like making a different game inside Albion.
      You mean like adding instanced 1v1 duels with special mechanics and then balancing the whole MMO around it? :D
      I fully agree, this content that can't be easily handholded and zerged down sucks. On top it is fun which is intolerable..

On top Mega Alliance cannot rent it out which sucks even more
    • SpicyPepper wrote:

Syndic wrote:

SpicyPepper wrote:

Nope. Instanced whatever it is, CD still follow Albion's core mechanic. Players still walk on the ground, spells are used the same, mobs, items are the same.
      What he suggested is akin to adding Sea of Thieves as a game within WoW. It's not feasible, literally.
      The ocean combat can be faked with existing code for mounts etc. It doesn't have to mimic sea of thieves levels of details and immersion.
    • AurumTitanos wrote:

The ocean combat can be faked with existing code for mounts etc. It doesn't have to mimic sea of thieves levels of details and immersion.
      When you put 2, 5, 10 men on a ship. You can't use existing mount code for it anymore. It's gotta be a controllable moving terrain.
    • AurumTitanos wrote:

That is definitely feasible, every other online game has moving multiple player vehicles.
      And? I never said i can't be coded. I said it's like creating another game inside Albion. Albion doesn't have such feature.

What not feasible is whether SBI have the resources to put aside to make that, not whether it can be done.
    • It sounds like a cool idea. It worked in UO, you could sail around, fight people on other ships, and that was 20+ years ago. So it is definitely doable. It would be a huge addition to the game though, and one that might cause a lot of clutter in the seas. To avoid the huge clutter, it might be better if it was instanced play, like Hell Gates and Corrupt Dungeons. Except unlike Hell Gates and Corrupt Dungeon, don't limit it to 2 parties. There could be a maximum of 4 parties in the instance. Not required to fight each other, but can if they choose to. Time the instance so you can't just camp their forever. Also, I would remove the 20 ship and let 10 be the max, if it was my choice. Love the concept though. If done correctly it could be a lot of fun.

Trial_hard wrote:

Really? Not sure if this is a joke or not. Do we really need another big addition to the game being ruled by Mega Alliances?
    • Trial_hard wrote:

Syndic wrote:

SpicyPepper wrote:

I fully agree, this content that can't be easily handholded and zerged down sucks. On top it is fun which is intolerable..

Who do you think crafts the gear and where do you think the silver goes to? ROFLMAO