Shields vs. other offhands

• Shields vs. other offhands

Hey guys, just wanted to open a discussion on the state of shields. I've been running Facebreaker lately, I figured after I got some mastery IP and whatnot that the damage bonus would pick up and make it be a useful piece of kit. But now that I'm 80/100 Facebreaker spec and have +216 mastery ip, my 1312 ip 5.2 facebreaker is only 4.5% dmg, 4.3% defense. This seems really weak compared to the Muisak for example, which at a comparable ip has over 15% to damage.

Do you guys think SBI puts too much stock into defense %? What are your thoughts on shields vs their equivalent mage/hunter offhands?
    • Abaddon_Rull wrote:

Hey guys, just wanted to open a discussion on the state of shields. I've been running Facebreaker lately, I figured after I got some mastery IP and whatnot that the damage bonus would pick up and make it be a useful piece of kit. But now that I'm 80/100 Facebreaker spec and have +216 mastery ip, my 1312 ip 5.2 facebreaker is only 4.5% dmg, 4.3% defense. This seems really weak compared to the Muisak for example, which at a comparable ip has over 15% to damage.

Do you guys think SBI puts too much stock into defense %? What are your thoughts on shields vs their equivalent mage/hunter offhands?
      Muisak has mana debuff.
      Candle has resist. debuff.
    • Abaddon_Rull wrote:

1. Face breaker is the worst among the shields, even worse than the vanilla round shield because the later have a use sometimes, while the first is a pure PvE shield for tank to use (to get the threat generation bonus)
      2. In order to compare face breaker and muisak, you have to convert the defense to damage by calculating how much does the offhand add to your brawling power.
      The muisak gives you 12% damage bonus (both item at max spec), simply increasing your brawling power by 1.12 times (let's forget your armor stat and food for now so i can explain to you better)

Face breaker gives 5.1% damage and reduces damage by 4.8%, increasing your brawling power by 1.051 / (1 - 0.048) = 1.104 times.

You then compare the 2 modifiers.

I just showed you how to compared offhand stat on paper, you still have to take into account your armor and food choice (e.g cloth robe and stew reduced the modifier of offhand that give damage like muisak and cryptcandle).

Noting that the modifier is used to compare offhand, not to build sets. For example, 1 shot and pure dps builds stack up damage anyway despite the diminishing returns (e.g: light crossbow + robe + cryptcandle + stew)

Perfect use case to calculate the modifier is when you consider between 2 options like: [ Taproot + Omelette ] versus [ Mistcaller + Sandwich ]. Take the one with the higher modifier in this case makes your character stronger without sacrificing anything.

Another advantage to know these modifier is that you know for sure who you can win brawling against in 1v1 (especially against weapons that you would lose the brawl with the same offhand). It's a huge advantage in Corrupted dungeons.
      Max spec 700/700 in staff, hammer, mace, and spear tree.
      Max spec 800/800 in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions crafters.

The post was edited 2 times, last by SpicyPepper ().