Please buff arcane staff

• Combat Balance

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DZephyrBlade wrote:

Arcane staff can be used with attack skills instead of support which I think is pretty interesting. But attack build is so weak and troll that I wonder why the devs even bothered adding damage skills.
      So that arcane can farm solo if need to, that's the sole purpose of purely for damage Q on arcane.
      Max spec 700/700 in staff, hammer, mace, and spear tree.
      Max spec 800/800 in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions crafters.
    • but how and why would anyone farm with arcane? magic shock q has a really high arcane staff mastery requirement, 70, and mimic has a requirement of 85, so you'd have to either master another fame farm build first then use fame credits or tome your way to be able to farm with arcane staffs which doesn't make any sense since that means you already have a farm build with another weapon.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DZephyrBlade ().

• DZephyrBlade wrote:

but how and why would anyone farm with arcane? magic shock q has a really high arcane staff mastery requirement, 70, and mimic has a requirement of 85, so you'd have to either master another fame farm build first then use fame credits or tome your way to be able to farm with arcane staffs which doesn't make any sense since that means you already have a farm build with another weapon.
      "but how and why would anyone farm with arcane?" -> When a new player have just started playing and pick arcane as his first weapon to play. He can't just auto attacking the mobs. Same goes with the damage Q spells on holy and nature.

"magic shock q" -> I was referring to Energy Bolt. Magic Shock is a good support spells and is not just for the purpose of farming.

Don't get me wrong, as I'm not saying how that should be. I'm just saying what intention they have in mind when making those spells. I'm neutral on the matter.
    • I've NEVER seen a new player use arcane staff to solo farm let alone an established player. I rarely only see arcane on zvz. when you said arcane to solo farm i thought you meant magic shock and mimic but you meant energy bolt and i'm baffled how that would work in solo farm cos that would be so slow

Edit: lol I should have known you were trolling. Arcane staff build as a solo farm build? Ridiculous. Arcane staff solo farm build using energy bolt instead of magic shock mimic? IMPOSSIBLE.

The post was edited 2 times, last by DZephyrBlade ().

• DZephyrBlade wrote:

I've NEVER seen a new player use arcane staff to solo farm let alone an established player. I rarely only see arcane on zvz. when you said arcane to solo farm i thought you meant magic shock and mimic but you meant energy bolt and i'm baffled how that would work in solo farm cos that would be so slow
      No, no "established player" farm with energy bolt on arcane. I was referring to those new players you see running around the cross town at the edge of the royal continent, who still using T3 Arcane staff.

If energy bolt isn't an option, then someone new who pick arcane as first weapon to play will have to auto attack mobs as the sole mean to lvl up the tree.
    • Only arcane that needs a buff is witchwork, to give it an actual use. Self mimic put arcane into a really good place after being a pure support weapon for so long.

Once you unlock magic shock PvE becomes reasonable - before that it's admittedly pretty bad. But you can just get boosted to 70 in group dungeons. If anything, lower magic shock unlock to mastery 40 or so and that would make it better all round.
      Arcane shill - 700/700
    • Fikule wrote:

I'm doing arcane at the moment. What is the actual PvE use of arcane?

And what is the zvz use?

I keep hearing people mention arcane is for zvz only and that no one in their right mind would take you for pve or hce, but no one ever goes into detail.
      Arcane is a key zvz support weapon. Malevolent locus and enigmatic staff are mandatory in pretty much any party, and the 1H arcane, occult staff, and evensong are also used a lot.

As far as I know there is no meta use for arcane in HCE except as a swap for one boss.

Great arcane staff is pretty essential to clearing avalonian dungeons, and witchwork staff can be used for single pulls (apparently, never done it myself). If you're clearing group dungeons with people who aren't going to cry about 100% efficiency, then arcane can be used just fine as single target DPS with energy bolt, or aoe DPS with shock + mimic.You can even tank the dungeon with witchwork staff + tank build.

Solo pve is more limited. It is pretty difficult to clear dungeons with energy bolt solo, but once you unlock magic shock + mimic I would say that it becomes as good as any other A/B tier weapon to clear dungeons with. I clear 7-8 dungeons per hour pretty easily.
      Arcane shill - 700/700
    • I farmed Arcane first. Scholar Robe + Q, then eventually Magic Shock/Mimic

It could certainly do with some extra options on E abilities to drag it out of being a pure support role in all circumstances. The issue is it can't currently fit into a standard party composition as it lacks the damage of a DPS and also the sustain of a healer.

A more damage-focused E would be nice, even if it's conditional damage.

The Arcane Shield could be enhanced too, it could have a decay period, losing the shield over a couple of seconds, instead of instantly falling off. This would give the shield spike damage protection, followed by a lingering general protection. Or it could enhance resistances for a duration longer than the shield itself (since the shield ignores resistances), that way you have the shield, followed by a period of resists.

Aside from that, Energy Drain definitely needs a hand. It's outclassed in PvE by AoE restores and pointless in PvP due to the low drain and near infinite sustain of those being drained (along with your own infinite sustain making the drain pointless for yourself). It could have any number of secondary effects. Reducing healing received, increasing cast times and cooldowns, channeled slow etc.
    • My suggestion for arcane buffs would be reworking Energy Beam into a link spell (like Ironroot)
      By making it a link it would allow you to throw it down and keep casting instead of sitting there for 6s (every 10s!)

ally - ally: energy costs are split between both allies (link someone with high energy usage with someone who has some to spare)
      ally - enemy: steals energy and gives it to the ally (allows for energy regeneration & drain)
      enemy - enemy: any energy used by one of the enemies is also taken from the other (can punish heavy casters and their allies)

I would also remove the "doesn't drain under 15% energy" as it would have enough counterplay already
      This would make energy beam a viable option in small scale, 5s, and even solo/duo. Would be a great counter vs heavy casters (frost, fire, healers) and would still retain a lot of counterplay (breaking the link, not casting)

The numbers are of course up to you, but I'd say maybe a 5s duration and 15s cooldown, or something similar

P.S. this arcane spell concept would also be really cool (doesn't have to be on witchwork)