My definitive review of Albion.

    • My definitive review of Albion.

      The strong points :

      -Graphics well mastered, it's beautiful. The environments are varied and well done; I have a crush on the magnificent forest, we really want to get lost in it.

      -The interfaces are clear and very complete, very ergonomic, pleasant.

      -The game mechanics seem well oiled, different kinds of PvP, different kinds of PvE, a lot of content available to us.

      -A very dynamic economy, everything you put up for sale leaves within the hour.


      The weak spots :

      -The gameplay is poor, we are on a hack'N'Slash ... This type of gameplay is quite boring in the long term because it does not allow tactics. In PvE, you must avoid the red spell areas on the ground and in PvP you spam your skills in cooldown. Large battles are unreadable and therefore totally uninteresting. If the game featured turn-based combat, this would probably be my favorite game.

      -The immersion is low due to the third person view from above. And also because of the crowded cities and most of the early areas. The developers have however put a system of instantiation when an area is too crowded but they have set the limit much too high. So cities lag, every pixel is filled with a character and the noise is unbearable.

      -The progression system is quite discouraging. It's a very grind game. And you progress only to unlock stats, nothing in your gameplay changes. Even visually, only the color of certain parts of the armor changes as you level up.

      -The cashshop / premium makes low level content totally useless. Not only does the premium accelerate your progress too much (all the first zones have a lifespan of a few minutes ...), but in addition with your first purchase we offer you 1000 gold which can be exchanged for several million silver . While the stuff you can wear costs a few hundred coins, what you can collect costs not much more, you have millions in the bank ... which totally spoils the fun of progressing.


      Conclusion:

      Albion is a very attractive game in the first place; The beauty of the biomes, the simplicity of the interfaces give a relaxing atmosphere, we feel good there. But after a few days of play, the aforementioned faults begin to be felt. You are bored with the idea of having to enter the city (compulsory passage point for everything), you have no real motivation to progress since the (boring) gameplay does not evolve. You are not motivated to get rich since with 5 euros you can buy 90% of the items in the game... At first the wild pvp zones motivate you, but in the end it's absolutely not fun to be ganked or to gank, it's silly and mean.

      As it stands, Albion is a bad hack'n'slash (you'll be better on Path of Exiles / Diablo), a bad sandbox (you'll be better on Ark / 7DTD), and a bad RPG (you'll be better on Skyrim / The Witcher).

      Again, if Albion offered tactical turn-based combat, this would be one of my favorite games for sure.
    • fip wrote:

      the latter three weak spot points are fair but that first one is not. You should review the game based on what it is trying to be, not what you want it to be.

      Yes, but that would be to close lines of thought on why I left the game. However, the combat system is the main reason.

      I understand what you mean and I think "what it is trying to be" doesn't necessarily mean consensus.

      Is Albion trying more to be a hack'n'slash or more of a Sandbox MMORPG? You see, the combat system is not obvious and frozen in stone.
    • LeDruide wrote:

      fip wrote:

      the latter three weak spot points are fair but that first one is not. You should review the game based on what it is trying to be, not what you want it to be.
      Yes, but that would be to close lines of thought on why I left the game. However, the combat system is the main reason.

      I understand what you mean and I think "what it is trying to be" doesn't necessarily mean consensus.

      Is Albion trying more to be a hack'n'slash or more of a Sandbox MMORPG? You see, the combat system is not obvious and frozen in stone.
      What are you even saying here? I can't dig it out from this incoherent reply. Since when are 'hack and slash' and 'sandbox mmorpg' mutually exclusive? And while we're on that point, albion isn't a hack and slash. It's just tab-targeted real time combat. It is fair to say the PvE is boring or repetitive, but the game is not trying to compete with the likes of diablo or PoE at all. I also suspect you haven't tried the Avalonian content, which requires teamwork from a full party of 20 players and can be quite fun. Furthermore, your statement about spamming skills on cooldown is also wrong. Optimal gameplay is about good builds and playing them well with the right skills used at the right time, and is imperative to be able to have the advantage in PvP, which is what this game is mostly about.
    • I quite literally signed up a forum account just to reply to this lol

      Anyway, clearly you have just started the game and have no idea what this game offers "end game" (not really end just past tutorial levels when you somewhat know what you're doing)

      All your likes are valid, so I will focus on the "weak" points.

      LeDruide wrote:

      -The gameplay is poor, we are on a hack'N'Slash ... This type of gameplay is quite boring in the long term because it does not allow tactics. In PvE, you must avoid the red spell areas on the ground and in PvP you spam your skills in cooldown. Large battles are unreadable and therefore totally uninteresting. If the game featured turn-based combat, this would probably be my favorite game.

      PvE wise kind of but not really. You are the beginning of PvE in this game, just dodge the red stuff in solo dungeons. In group random dungeons it's also similar but you need a proper team to clear them. Both of those are the entry level PvE. Once you play longer, you can do Avalonian dungeons which need a raid leader, 20-man proper team, specific builds, people who know mechanics and everything, much harder than normal dungeons. Another is Hardcore Expeditions which require super expensive builds and a 5-man team that know multiple maps' mechanics. PvE however is not even close to the focus in this game, and yes it's grindy and that's the point. It's not supposed to be easy to fame up your destiny board.

      PvP wise, you are incredibly wrong. You must have barely did any PvP if you have that opinion. There is multiple types of PvP in this game, all with differing builds, strategies, numbers, and enjoyment. There is everything from 1v1 corrupted dungeons, 2v2, 5v5, and 10v10 hellgates, crystal 5v5s and 20v20s, open world massive scale battles which are readable if you actually play the game to learn. Small scale content all around the blackzone and royals, and a lot of it in the avalon roads. There is a lot of skill in PvP in this game, otherwise any 5 man team can become the best crystal 5v5 team (pays a LOT if you can become this).


      LeDruide wrote:

      -The immersion is low due to the third person view from above. And also because of the crowded cities and most of the early areas. The developers have however put a system of instantiation when an area is too crowded but they have set the limit much too high. So cities lag, every pixel is filled with a character and the noise is unbearable.

      Your opinion I guess, but this game isn't an FPS or an exploration type game. You also do no content in the cities which is why I don't understand why you care.

      LeDruide wrote:

      -The progression system is quite discouraging. It's a very grind game. And you progress only to unlock stats, nothing in your gameplay changes. Even visually, only the color of certain parts of the armor changes as you level up.
      So again, you have no clue about the progression system. As you play your gear and weapon in PvE you unlock newer abilities on those weapons, and you become stronger in those weapons. A well famed player in T4 gear is going to do a LOT more damage than a new player with T4 that has no specialization bonus. Same for armors, you simply get item power the more spec you have.

      LeDruide wrote:

      -The cashshop / premium makes low level content totally useless. Not only does the premium accelerate your progress too much (all the first zones have a lifespan of a few minutes ...), but in addition with your first purchase we offer you 1000 gold which can be exchanged for several million silver . While the stuff you can wear costs a few hundred coins, what you can collect costs not much more, you have millions in the bank ... which totally spoils the fun of progressing.
      Wait till you start dying in good gear. Each set will cost you about 600k-1.5mil depending on what it is for. Premium is useful to speed up farming but not nearly as much as you think. "Clearling" a zone isn't the purpose btw, it's to farm up your weapon in the highest tier zone you can to spec it up so you can PVP.

      Overall, you are clearly new to the game, haven't watched any videos on how to play or what the basis of the game is, and you just made a post saying a bunch of false negatives because you didn't take the time to understand the game at all.
    • "definitive review of an MMORPG" -> proceeds to play the game a few days and quit.

      What a great Idea XD

      Why don't you do a definitive review of World of Warcraft by only playing vanilla quests for three days and reach level 20 ? XD

      You haven't touched any late game content and you barely grasp the meaning of early game content as well. Posting this review on a forum basically visited by people that have a lot of hours on the game was not the best idea my friend. If you dislike the gameplay so much, then fair enough, don't play the game, but you have to know that everything you said is either false because you don't play the game or because you actually don't know what a MMORPG game is.

      "It's a very grind game" -> Well, yes ? Isn't that the point of a good MMORPG ? You have to be dedicated in order to grind your characters and make them any good ? And to be fair, Albion was a lot more of a grind game some months/years back. This "review" is just like reviewing a book by reading the title.
    • Not real endagame feedback.
      1. ZVZ its very easy to read, being the clapper, the caller, the support, etc. You had to read based on who you are, not like a common random viewier in a video. And Avalonian PVE its very different than a common PVE, should be harder tho.
      2. 3rd person its ok, WTF.
      3. Of course its like this cause there is no classes. I agree we should had more things that prove that we're end game players; skins, particle effects, etc.
      4. "The cashshop / premium makes low level content totally useless." Tis tipe of content is litterally ok, low contents its for newbyes, its noob friendly, easy to understand, etc. The whole premium system its very nice... You rant now its looks like you want a whole different game. "1000 gold which can be exchanged for several million silver" So? Litterally 2.x silver does nothing in this game, end game content can give you 1m per every 15min.
      5. "You are not motivated to get rich since with 5 euros you can buy 90% of the items in the game... " Ok, just go ot other games ._. Isn't your type of game then? Thats what your post looks like

      We don't need those type of changes, we need better end game content; Better PVE, 3v3, a rework on passives weapons or making a whole new system of PVP in 2 years, etc. That types of things can give life to a "boring gameplay" example: League of Legends does this every 2 years almost with his runes/maestries. But we need more things on endgame, for sure, even tittle, effects, skins, etc.
    • Your points of view are very interesting and well developed gentlemen. But I notice that you have a lot of trouble staying peaceful, I find you very aggressive, it does not give a very good image of your community.

      The point is, gentlemen, that Albion has a big player retention problem, I have documented enough to know that this game loses the majority of these new players in a few days / week, more than other games of this genre.So there are certain aspects that don't work for certain audiences. I am one of those who do not particularly like hack'n'slash whose fights I find unreadable with lasers in all directions, it's ugly, it is based a lot on the speed which I hate.
      So I imagined Albion in turn based combat and suddenly I realized that I would have stayed there infinitely longer. So I deduced that it is indeed the combat system that displeases.

      That's all, you're telling me that's not the problem, okay, we don't have the same point of view. Also I think that the point of view of a "new" player (I still have 50 hours of play, at least as much learning on various forums and a solid experience in video games) can sometimes be more relevant than one of a big player who no longer has the step back.

      Thank you for your feedback, I would be happy to continue this discussion in peace and good humor, about "why some players think Albion is boring and why others find it great".
    • i think u have some decent points but u just need to play the game longer to really understand the game and what it offers. But in the end if u don't want to grind u aren't really going to like albion in general. I have been playing for about 4 months and still haven't done everything albion has to offer. In my option albion is a great game that i will continue to play but if u don't like its all good theres other games that might suite your interests better.
    • LeDruide wrote:

      Your points of view are very interesting and well developed gentlemen. But I notice that you have a lot of trouble staying peaceful, I find you very aggressive, it does not give a very good image of your community.
      Understand that you are criticizing Albion's PvP system and comparing it to a hack'n'slash. Obviously this isn't gonna make PvPers with tons of hours of PvP gameplay happy, especially when the one doing it is new the game.

      Maybe you should give it another try, and have some real open world experiences before writing a "definitive review of Albion".

      Your point about the massive amount of new players quitting the game quickly is probably true, as it is a Full Loot PVP game. Most of the players get discouraged when they die for the first time, and think everything is over since they lost their gear, but dying is part of the game, and even endgame monsters die several times a day, with very gucci gear.

      Eventually you'll get used to dying, and you'll try to understand how the PvP/ganking mechanics work. At this point the game becomes much more interesting, and you'll probably want to level up your specs in order to PvP with weapons you enjoy using.


      Btw, i searched for your nick and only found one match having no PvP fame. If your review about PvP is based on yellow zone fights between faction flagged players (non-lethal), understand that what you've seen there isn't Albion's PvP at all, but mostly overgeared new players following each other without comms and spamming spells
    • It is impressive how all of you can answer totally beside what I am saying. You don't take the time to read well, it's tiring. I do not know what to answer except "no you did not understand, I said that ...".


      So apart from repeating myself I do not know what to say to you, your point of view does not add anything to the discussion. You are simply busy telling me that I did not understand the game when, on the contrary, I fully understood the inner workings of the game.


      Stop taking your interlocutors for morons, it is unbearable. And learn to read what people write correctly. You have the level of 20-year-old kids, it's deplorable. I'm going to ignore all the stupid posts from now on because I don't have time to redo your education.


      You got me seriously drunk by telling me that if I don't like Albion it's because I didn't understand the game. It's crazy. In the meantime, this discussion is perfectly boring, you are useless.


      And then, if the game was so good, you wouldn't be messing around on the forum ;) ... Hoping someone smart comes by here to raise the bar. Bye kids.
    • This game having similar pvp like in moba games and dude be like " hack and slash " - big bruh.

      Dude knows nothing about the game and he gets mad when people call him out on it.

      He gets on defensive, starts insulting others, and in the post above - he insults twice using Age and also uses education as an insult and then he leaves with " Hoping someone smart comes by here to raise the bar. Bye kids. "
      This just writes itself.

      Then again, replying anyone who says this game is hack and slash and where you spam your abilities on cooldown in pvp - i mean, come on. That just shows dude probably played the game for few days and that´s it.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • "At first the wild pvp zones motivate you, but in the end it's absolutely not fun to be ganked or to gank, it's silly and mean." - Calling a full loot PVP game "mean" just screams out that this is not the type of game for you, so why even bother with writing a review

      50 hours of play...do 500 and try everything the game has to offer, then you can write an review
    • LeDruide wrote:

      It is impressive how all of you can answer totally beside what I am saying. You don't take the time to read well, it's tiring. I do not know what to answer except "no you did not understand, I said that ...".


      So apart from repeating myself I do not know what to say to you, your point of view does not add anything to the discussion. You are simply busy telling me that I did not understand the game when, on the contrary, I fully understood the inner workings of the game.


      Stop taking your interlocutors for morons, it is unbearable. And learn to read what people write correctly. You have the level of 20-year-old kids, it's deplorable. I'm going to ignore all the stupid posts from now on because I don't have time to redo your education.


      You got me seriously drunk by telling me that if I don't like Albion it's because I didn't understand the game. It's crazy. In the meantime, this discussion is perfectly boring, you are useless.


      And then, if the game was so good, you wouldn't be messing around on the forum ;) ... Hoping someone smart comes by here to raise the bar. Bye kids.





      Cool, see ya later bud. Can i have your stuff?