Upcoming Curse changes will make it strong to the point nobody is gonna fight it.

• Combat Balance
    • Upcoming Curse changes will make it strong to the point nobody is gonna fight it.

• Vile Curse (all Cursed Staffs)
        • Cast Range: 9m -> 11m
      • Haunting Screams (Cursed Skull)
        • The damage can't be reflected anymore
        • Magic Damage per tick: 25 -> 33 ( about 33% dmg increase)
      Curse as it is right now is extremely strong in 1 v 1 . It requires little to no skill to play it. It lacks mobility ( Thanks god), but the fighting provess it has is insane.

In Corrupted Dungeons, for majority of builds - whenever you see Curse with double merc jacket that using Grudge W, what do you do ? You break crystals. Why ? Because you can´t fight. Because the curse cannot mess up. It has targeted abilities and there is no outplay or dgoging it´s abilities.
      It stacks Q, hits autoattacks to stack Grudge W and that´s it. You just die. It has insane damage and heals too much. You just can´t outdamage it. And i don´t know how other " fight " non mobile builds fare against curse, but i imagine it´s not much of a fun for them.

And Curse Skull is already used a lot in Corrupted with quite high winrate. This will make it even more op.

Curse has next to no skill expression, and yet it´s damage is insane. There is no place to outplay them. So you just break crystals unless your build counters them heavily. And now that Q range is buffed and curse skull has massive dmg buff and becomes unreflectable - i doubt people will engage in fight with curse. Because there is no point - since you just die.

To be honest, speaking of skill expression for axes, yet there being weapons like curse and crossbow that deals insane damage on high range and without those abilities being skillshots - it´s a bit funny. Fighting agast curse when i played battleaxe, it was extremely tough match up for me, needing me to maximize damage, while the oponnent could make multiple mistakes and without the need to maximize his damage - he just stacks Q, W, E, and that´s it. It´s not fun to play against. And i imagine it´s the same for anyone else playing against curse.
      As long as curse won´t make many mistakes, you just can´t win. And after curses being buffed, i think many people will just not fight them at all. And those that fight them won´t have enjoyable experience.
      Nobody likes fighting builds that require next to no skill that dont rely on skillshots, and especially when those builds are stronger than yours.

Remember Thorns pre nerf ? Just autoattack and that´s it. And it killed so many people. And what can you do against them unless you counter them ? Nothing. You just break crystals.

And it is similar with curses now. And after buff, it will be even more evident.

As to what to do about that, i dont know - just saying how it is. When you have builds that can´t really make mistakes and deal massive amount of damage to the point oponnents can´t outplay them even if they use skillshots or anything - well, nobody is gonna fight these builds. Luckily, this doesnt have mobility, otherwise that would be truly horrible.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7

The post was edited 1 time, last by Borbarad ().

• I 100% agree with you and I was going to make a post like this before the patch even came to the test servers.

The thing that you also missed out to mention that makes the situation more unbalanced is that in the same patch Guardian Helm is getting nerfed significantly meaning people will be using that helmet much less which means curse will have a super high overall win rate.

They need to make more frequent smaller combat updates so the impact of changes is not this massive.
    • Borbarad wrote:

Because the curse cannot mess up. It has targeted abilities and there is no outplay or dgoging it´s abilities.
      My personal opinion is that all attacks including basic auto-attacks should be non-target to have more dynamic and skill-based combat rather than shooting a locked target... But I doubt that can ever happen here (sigh)...
    • Looks at Reg bow
      looks at 1h fire

ya... i kina dont see the problem

reg bow, fire and curse kina play the same since all 3 playstyles is like non mobile build

the only difference is how much purge fks up one build or how much guardian helm fk up the other

Purge <-----------------------------l-------------> guardian helm
      Bow-------------------------------- fire----------------- Curse
      A lot of buff Skills -----------------------------less buff skills more dots
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

Contribute to Night Mode with the link above

FYI here is a picture me hugging Night Mode
    • The_Support_God wrote:

Looks at Reg bow
      looks at 1h fire

ya... i kina dont see the problem

reg bow, fire and curse kina play the same since all 3 playstyles is like non mobile build

the only difference is how much purge fks up one build or how much guardian helm fk up the other

Purge <-----------------------------l-------------> guardian helm
      Bow-------------------------------- fire----------------- Curse
      A lot of buff Skills -----------------------------less buff skills more dots
      Well, good you mentioned these " fight " builds - lets look at them.

Regular Bow - purge, cultist cowl kills it. Usually cloth - sometimes merc jacket. Many ways to deal with it

1h fire - high damage, squishy. Many builds have ways to deal with it, especially since it´s rather squishy, therefore less room for any mistakes.

1h curse / cursed skull: Guardian helm does not counter it. Dots just hit too hard. Q and Grudge on W is just far too brutal. Along with double merc jacket, it provides brutal survability. It provides brutal damage and survability with next to no skill needed to do so.

I will gladly meet 1h fire or bow in CD than curse. Because i at least have a chance to win against those two. But against curse ? It becomes a game of numbers. And with majority of builds, you just can´t win. So you have to break crystals. That´s how it goes. There is no room for outplay. Once curse uses Grudge on W - you can only break crystals with majority of builds.

And here i uploaded a video to show how difficult it is to fight Curse. Now this curse played REALLY BAD and he didn´t even use Grudge, instead using root W. And yet i sweated hard there. I had cultist cowl ( somewhat of a counter as well) and assassin shoes to counter E. I countered E is efficiently as i could ( dodging two full E with assassin shoes) and even then it was rather tight. Sure, there was like 100 IP difference, but considering i basically evaded most of his abilities - it´s insane.
      And if he used Grudge, there would be no point fighting - i would stand 0 chance and would have be dead very quickly. There would be no point fighting. Against bows and fire, at least there is a chance. But against curse ? There is none, if they use grudge.

He made so many mistakes.
      1) Not using grudge
      2) Wasting his shoes in the beginning
      3) Attacking even though he has cultist cowl debuff - that´s huge
      4) Not purging my mercenary jacket even after coming closer to me
      5) Letting me E him by coming to me despite him having his Run on shoes active
      So his damage is essentially mainly just from Q. No W, and only time E hit me was through to resistance potion.

What about my mistakes ? I didn´t checking it much, but only value mistake was that i could have Q the mob sooner to get more merc jacket stacks, but since he didn´t purge it quickly, it wasn´t that bad.

He makes so many mistakes and yet i still almost died. I had to really sweat there hard to win it. If he did One less mistake, i would have died. While i don´t have a luxury to make any mistakes like that to win it.

And most curses won´t make such grave mistakes. Oh, and if he used Grudge, he could probably make 10 mistakes and i would still die. This is just to showcase how bad this is.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7

The post was edited 1 time, last by Borbarad ().

• that video cannot be used as reference because

first off you are a 1h axe with no guardian helm so no cleanse or protection against the 1h curse e
      secondly you let the curse stack 4Q on you and pop the E for a shit load of damage

i can say its also a you problem because 1h axe is suppose to be a sustain in fight when 1h curse is weak to hit and run tatics and strong in long fights because of things like grudge W the match up is just bad
      curse just has better sustain fight damage than 1h axe

thirdly he brought the purge/cleanse of helm of valor to counter/save himself from one shot stuns he should have used it at the start to clense the cultist cowl
      also you dont have purge

so yes he played damn bad but still this video is not proof that curse is op because its a battle between 2 items which is suppose to be good in long fights and not curse one shotting someone like quaterstaff/tombhammer or curse beating matchups he is not suppose to like badon and frost
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

Contribute to Night Mode with the link above

FYI here is a picture me hugging Night Mode
    • I agree he choked but how could your gameplay be any better? you know he poped his R that's when you back off and he's dead mate (0.17- 0-23) bro your giving a cursed staff his best dreams, stacking 4 Q'S + having R up and using death curse without you blocking any of them. you face tanked him and let him stacks 4 stacks on u + having his R up then you run away when it's basically going to ran out of cd then luckily this guy doesn't know how to kite and you won :D, without including you had no abilities to counter his E which is basically the worst nightmare of a cursed staff player. Legit you have NO BLOCK ABILITIES. Maybe start learning cursed staff and the abilities and maybe you can counter it, this game isn't about running in and spamming ur abilities and expecting to win, you need to know when to kite, what to dodge and how to counter play what your playing against. Have a lovely day bro <3
    • The_Support_God wrote:

tfirst off you are a 1h axe with no guardian helm so no cleanse or protection against the 1h curse e
      secondly you let the curse stack 4Q on you and pop the E for a shit load of damage

thirdly he brought the purge/cleanse of helm of valor to counter/save himself from one shot stuns he should have used it at the start to clense the cultist cowl
      also you dont have purge

so yes he played damn bad but still this video is not proof that curse is op because its a battle between 2 items which is suppose to be good in long fights and not curse one shotting someone like quaterstaff/tombhammer or curse beating matchups he is not suppose to like badon and frost
      My point is only that curse is far too strong, despite not really needing any skill to pull to play. Just like thorns. Or crossbows using non skillshot Q etc. It just pisses people off, when non skillshots build deal more damage than builds with skillshots etc.

Regarding your comments against the play, i played cultist cowl - which works very well there, and he took lot of damage because of it.
      Second, i had tons of protection against 1h curse E for i used assassin shoes to negate his E. Out of his 3 E, i completely negated two of his E with shoes and partially blocked one E with resistance potion.
      Third, if he used his purge from beginning against cultist cowl, that would be a bad play. Instead, using it against my mercenary jacket is much more value. I cant pop mercenary jacket if he has his purge available unless he messes up - which he did.

He made so many mistakes. I negated 2 of his E, partially blocked his third E. He got 0 value from helm. He had wrong W. He played Extremely badly, and Despite that - i almost lost.

This is my point. Look how strong it is. If i were to take one E to face, i would have died. If he purged my mercenary jacket, i would have died. If he denied me my E and not running into me, i would have died. He is allowed to do so many mistakes because the curse build allows him to. If he were to play double merc jacket, i just wouldnt be able to do anything even with all those mistakes, for double merc jacket makes room for even more mistakes.

HunchoTheGoat wrote:

I agree he choked but how could your gameplay be any better? you know he poped his R that's when you back off and he's dead mate (0.17- 0-23) bro your giving a cursed staff his best dreams, stacking 4 Q'S + having R up and using death curse without you blocking any of them. you face tanked him and let him stacks 4 stacks on u + having his R up then you run away when it's basically going to ran out of cd then luckily this guy doesn't know how to kite and you won :D, without including you had no abilities to counter his E which is basically the worst nightmare of a cursed staff player. Legit you have NO BLOCK ABILITIES. Maybe start learning cursed staff and the abilities and maybe you can counter it, this game isn't about running in and spamming ur abilities and expecting to win, you need to know when to kite, what to dodge and how to counter play what your playing against. Have a lovely day bro <3
      Its like you dont even play the game. I blocked two out of three of his E and his third E was partially blocked with resist potion.
      Running away from him wouldnt be better value than hitting him, keeping my stacks and healing myself with E.

Battleaxe playstyle is a bit different from other weapons. I enjoyed it. Too bad it´s reworked now and wont be usable in 1 v 1. But it might be rather memeable weapon while fighting against groups.

+ thought i would check murderledger how battleaxe players are faring. I always enjoyed battleaxe in CD.. Oh well, doesnt seem battleaxe players are doing too well - its not as easy weapon as it might seem. Not like curses :D

And axes are getting nerfed, though i get the idea behind the reasoning - but still adrenaline boost needs to have at least 4 seconds, but sure.

And how curses are doing ? Pretty darn good. 1H curse, cursed skull and great cursed staff as well. And the guy i killed in the video is Second best ranked curse. And look how he played. Now imagine what would curse do in experienced hands - truly a scary thought. Curses are far too strong, allow you to make far too many mistakes. It´s too strong even now, and majority of people are just gonna break crystals. And it´s getting buffed ? That´s my only point.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Borbarad ().

• I made a long and detailed post a long time ago about why cursed was bad in the current meta, in stalkers specifically, but once you get to slayer etc cursed was always good. Cursed with demon boots now and/or good soldier boot usage kinda fixed some of those problems. As much as I don't wanna say it as a cursed main but cursed just doesn't really need a buff right now. 1h is good, greatcursed is good, skull is good, to a point you can even use demonic staff. And I don't necessarily believe in the axe rework/nerfs either as they'll, in my opinion, nearly phase out axes from use in cds and maybe other places too. Hell the axe players might switch to cursed because both have dots, match ups were close so they'll be used to knowing what to do already, I'm sure that's probably what will happen.

You even have double heal builds with bear paws that'll translate into cursed so hopefully u boys saved up some fame creds.

Also OP imo 1h axe/bearpaws can't beat double heal and will always have a hard time against cursed because you don't have enough burst to burst the cursed down before the heals start back up. Something like a spear is a direct counter to cursed because a spear can instantly kill a cursed without letting them use their 2nd heal, or whatever armor ability, or really even the first one if they're not paying attention. You may wanna try playing spear lol - the only times I've died to axes in general is when they had cultist cowl and I was too much of a retard to stop attacking, but even then I could've won with good boot usage and just enough heal back. This was the case 6 months ago as it is now, nothing new really. Some weapons just counter others you know?
      Don't forget capes are purge-able, this means if you're using martlock cape for example against a black hands that he may simply purge the capes ability. Also keeper cape is purgeable etc.
    • Borbarad wrote:

And axes are getting nerfed, though i get the idea behind the reasoning - but still adrenaline boost needs to have at least 4 seconds, but sure.

And how curses are doing ? Pretty darn good. 1H curse, cursed skull and great cursed staff as well. And the guy i killed in the video is Second best ranked curse. And look how he played. Now imagine what would curse do in experienced hands - truly a scary thought. Curses are far too strong, allow you to make far too many mistakes. It´s too strong even now, and majority of people are just gonna break crystals. And it´s getting buffed ? That´s my only point.

If you click on the number 1 in the ranking you will see he dies to a lot of weapons AND he is playing 8.3, which means is not invincible as ur saying

Cloth/leather frost with morgana cape is a hard match up for curses in general, spears on Q2 are pretty hard match up too, 1shot builds like bh/dagger can pretty much kill curse too if the curse make any mistake, same for boltcaster, badon and xbow can be a fair fight and some other weapons can also be a hard match up
    • xGunner wrote:

If you click on the number 1 in the ranking you will see he dies to a lot of weapons AND he is playing 8.3, which means is not invincible as ur saying
      Cloth/leather frost with morgana cape is a hard match up for curses in general, spears on Q2 are pretty hard match up too, 1shot builds like bh/dagger can pretty much kill curse too if the curse make any mistake, same for boltcaster, badon and xbow can be a fair fight and some other weapons can also be a hard match up
      The point is that Curses are already strong. This guy i don´t know how he plays normally, but he made Ungodly amount of mistakes. Sure, he has 8.3, but to be such a high rank despite playing this badly - that just shows how strong curses are. That´s the point. Imagine if he played well.
    • Actually I think this may be a buff to axes rather than a nerf. I suppose we'll see - I don't play with axes so honestly I dunno. Heard that the passives will trigger faster bc the attack speed will be faster so if that's true maybe you don't have anything to worry about.
      Don't forget capes are purge-able, this means if you're using martlock cape for example against a black hands that he may simply purge the capes ability. Also keeper cape is purgeable etc.
    • rottencheese wrote:

Actually I think this may be a buff to axes rather than a nerf. I suppose we'll see - I don't play with axes so honestly I dunno. Heard that the passives will trigger faster bc the attack speed will be faster so if that's true maybe you don't have anything to worry about.
      Just stop . 1) this is about curse
      2) this is brutal nerf for axes.
    • Borbarad wrote:

rottencheese wrote:

Actually I think this may be a buff to axes rather than a nerf. I suppose we'll see - I don't play with axes so honestly I dunno. Heard that the passives will trigger faster bc the attack speed will be faster so if that's true maybe you don't have anything to worry about.
      Just stop . 1) this is about curse2) this is brutal nerf for axes.
      "just stop"

u sound a bit mad, when I have any decent player telling me if anything it'll be a buff for pvp then u can keep on being mad in ur general direction

what are you 13 who actually says just stop lmao

and just so u know if u even wanna hear it - cursed was always better than axes u simply dont have the burst to kill a half decent cursed player. q stacks and chain is enough to win against an axe, and while I don't think cursed needs a buff sbi is weird so it is what it is.

The post was edited 1 time, last by rottencheese ().

• rottencheese wrote:

Borbarad wrote:

Just stop . 1) this is about curse2) this is brutal nerf for axes.
      "just stop"
      u sound a bit mad, when I have any decent player telling me if anything it'll be a buff for pvp then u can keep on being mad in ur general direction

what are you 13 who actually says just stop lmao

and just so u know if u even wanna hear it - cursed was always better than axes u simply dont have the burst to kill a half decent cursed player. q stacks and chain is enough to win against an axe, and while I don't think cursed needs a buff sbi is weird so it is what it is.
      If you are psychologically projecting and insult others by mentioning age and saying it might be buff to axes, are you suprised i just ask you to stop ? : )

1) 3rd Q huge nerf to damage.
      2) 2nd Q huge nerf to range and way to apply bleed
      3) Huge nerf to bleed damage and heal reduction
      4) Huge nerf to adrenaline boost ( which is the biggest issue nerf of all the things, especially for open world, 1 v 1 and such - useful only in some situations now)
      5) Bear paws E nerf standtime
      6) Raging Blades ( best damage W) big nerf.

7) battleaxe - wont be usable in 1 v 1, but will be fun in groups.
      8) greataxe - useless in pve, however will be nice in groups.

So that´s that. I shouldn´t even have wasted time to explain that, but here it is.

If you don´t have anything constructive to say, why not " just stop ? " .
    • I see the problem in double merc that is the root cause for

Kite Badon
      Normal bow poison
      All curse
      And some fire dot things

Double merc is just...u block or purge one..but the other will hit you..and that's 1200 life while u fully damage, and the 1.2 k life already assumes that one merc was blocked..

If u have no double purge or clear or block ..go crystal .it is GG if u don't..

I think dot should not proc merc. It has a reason the poison throw merc jacket feature was fixed..
      And the poison pot no more counts for merc..
    • Agreed curse in itself is not broke and absolutely needs the vile buff to 11m. Mercenary jacket interaction is what is broken. The merc jacket needs a complete rework. Only AAs and use of abilities should trigger heals not DoTs. As is curse can avoid purge by just sprinting away prior to popping jacket and get full heal with no purge concern. Or even if you pop cleric robe they can still get full stack heal after the cleric duration due to the DoT proc.