Testserver Patch Notes - Call to Arms Patch 4

• JoeyTabonio wrote:

Any indication of when patch 4 will finally go live?
      The state of hellgates is bad and the state of healing in general is bad. The hallowfall was nerfed but it just left all healing weapons trash compared to damage output.
      The game definitely needs this patch sooner rather than later.
      Agreed.

Healers are in quite a bit of trouble right now and need some loving soon, I'm certainly waiting anxiously for the Patch to go through! I thought it was going to be this week but I guess that didn't happen, so hopefully in the next few days!
    • Retroman wrote:

Thanks everyone for your feedback on the combat balance changes.

We heard your feedback on some of the more controversial changes, which are:

• Rending Spin (all Axes):
        • Rending Bleed stacks: now only applied via max distance effect (i.e. 2.5m or further away)
      • Vile Curse (all Cursed Staffs):
        • Cast Range: 9m → 11m
      • Haunting Screams (Cursed Skull):
        • Magic Damage per tick: 25 → 33

We will re-iterate on these changes. However we don't want to delay Patch 4 further since it has so many other changes that we really want to get out into the live game as soon as possible. If we make further changes in Patch 4, we would delay the whole upload to live-process by another week. And since none of these changes are game breaking in our opinion, patch 4 will go live with these changes as it is. However we heard your concerns and will review them one more time and potentially revert or adjust these specifc changes in patch 5.

Cheers
      Retro
      did I miss the patch?!
    • Trial_hard wrote:

Retroman wrote:

• Rending Bleed stacks: now only applied via max distance effect (i.e. 2.5m or further away)

We will re-iterate on these changes. However we don't want to delay Patch 4 further since it has so many other changes that we really want to get out into the live game as soon as possible. If we make further changes in Patch 4, we would delay the whole upload to live-process by another week. And since none of these changes are game breaking in our opinion, patch 4 will go live with these changes as it is. However we heard your concerns and will review them one more time and potentially revert or adjust these specifc changes in patch 5.

Cheers
      Retro
      did I miss the patch?!
      No, not yet.

Dang, I have been checking every night hoping the Patch will hit, I feel so impatient lol. But still nothing yet, fingers crossed it happens soon!
    • Retroman wrote:

Cheers
      Retro
      EDIT :

I owe you an Apology @Retro - I didn't realize that the NDA which was recently updated (yesterday) showing the reverted Changes to Curse, etc. that you mentioned, were not actually going to be implemented in the Patch Today and therefore I am now Happy to see the Patch Live! TYVM <3 Sorry for the confusion, there were no updates so I just used my best judgement to understand the delay. But I was admittedly wrong about the situation.

Well, unfortunately it looks like this is *NOT* what actually happened despite you stating it here for those who actually pay attention to the Test server Feedback.

The Patch still hasn't been released, which means that based on your statement above it HAS been delayed, given that all 3 of the items mentioned in your post have been reverted and tampered with in the most recent NDA playtest post update.

It's too bad we couldn't test things out to see how bad it really was on the Live server, though I do agree with the Haunting Screams DMG nerf, it was certainly a bit overtuned. I think Curse kind of needs the 11m Range however, and it would have been nice to see that go Live, and I don't know much about Axes besides that they are able to apply WAY too much pressure in their current state and need to be tuned back a bit most certainly. But yeah Haunting Screams didn't need that much of a DMG buff, so that one I agree with, not exactly sure why the other 2 had to be touched...

*** Though I don't even play DPS, I play Healer, and because the Patch was delayed further even going against what was stated here officially on this Forum, now Healers have been forced to continue playing in this terrible state for even longer. Just makes me sad, honestly, if you guys are going to focus on doing so many combat balance changes in one single patch, then at least you should have waited to Nerf Hallowfall until the big patch hits, instead of Nerf it weeks before while still leaving all other Healer weapons untouched for so long - or you should have done ALL the Healing changes TOGETHER in one Patch, so Hallowfall gets nerfed but the Healing Staffs get a Buff at the same time to even things out.

Leaving Healers like this for so long with this crazy Burst DMG + AOE Bleeds Meta w/ Healing Reduction on everyone is so Cancer :( just look at how many Healers posted in this Forum post already asking for the Patch to hurry up! We need your help!

Not saying it's impossible to heal - actually it's fine "much of the time" - but there are certain things that can 1 Shot you in a Silence without ANY possible Counter play.... this is absolutely not right. And it has been happening more and more often because people know that there are changes coming so they are abusing it while they still can, playing Healer right now in Albion is not very fun, and it used to be.

There was a Realmbreaker + Dagger Pair + Blood letter comp yesterday that would burst a single target from 100-0 in literally just the time of the Realmbreaker knock up, not kidding. Would die while still knocked up in the air, even from full HP, literally no possibility for any use of skills. This Update is seriously needed for the health of the game!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Healheart: EDIT : I owe you an Apology @Retro - I didn't realize that the NDA which was recently updated (yesterday) showing the reverted Changes to Curse, etc. that you mentioned, were not actually going to be implemented in the Patch Today and therefore I am now Happy to see the Patch Live! TYVM <3 Sorry for the confusion, there were no updates so I just used my best judgement to understand the delay. But I was admittedly wrong about the situation. ().

• Healheart wrote:

There was a Realmbreaker + Dagger Pair + Blood letter comp yesterday that would burst a single target from 100-0 in literally just the time of the Realmbreaker knock up, not kidding. Would die while still knocked up in the air, even from full HP, literally no possibility for any use of skills. This Update is seriously needed for the health of the game!
      I dont know how would the patch help with that anyway
      Realmbreaker - taking away some mobility from W, but he still has shoes, so.
      Dagger pair - added standtime, reduced damage, sure - dmg reduced.
      Bloodletter - added standtime.

You are still gonna die either way

+ i want adrenaline boost to last at least 4 seconds. But either way, it needs a change. 2.5 seconds is just no good.
      Or that dot from Q would refresh it.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • Borbarad wrote:

Healheart wrote:

I dont know how would the patch help with that anyway
      I think that's a bit of a steep comment, given that you mentioned a few things directly after that would help for sure haha.

There are countless things in the Patch that will help Healers in general, I used ONE specific example of how a 3 DPS Team was going around 1 shotting people without counterplay (because yes it does happen) but there is no question at all that IN GENERAL the Patch will be helping Healers quite a lot.

Great Holy Staff and Nature Buffs are quite significant and something to look forward to. That will help Healers survive better now that all Healer Staffs have been made pretty much "mediocre" at best in PvP - yes even Hallowfall. Don't get me wrong, Hallowfall is probably still the current best choice before the Update (I personally don't think it will be after) but it has been over nerfed now due to popularity.

Anyways, not necessarily the point that I was trying to make so I'll stop there. Besides just the Healer Staff buffs, the Healing Reduction from certain builds (such as Axes) is being reduced as well, if I read it correctly down to 12% from 20% which is also going to help Healers given that right now we are faced with a massive amount of pressure from even just 1 Axe player alone with their AOE Healing Reduction.

There are other things too but I don't feel like taking any more time to explain myself haha. However, to remain on the specific topic of the situation you quoted me on with the Realmbreaker, Dagger Pair, and Bloodletter.. It will absolutely make a big difference still.

Hypothetically - what if after the Dagger Pair nerf (which is absolutely justified) the combo together will no longer 100% 1 Shot you as a Healer? What if instead of taking you from 100% to 0% it will take you down to only 10% Health for example and you can Survive the burst. IF That is the case, THEN there will be Room for Counterplay!

That's the entire point that I was trying to make, there HAS to be some room left for counter play in order for Balance to be accurate and fair. Even with 10% Health remaining, with the Lower Dot Dmg from Dagger Pair, Lower Healing Reduction in General or from the Axes, and the Standtime they are going to be faced with after executing their moves - IT GIVES the Healer a Chance to Survive & Escape! We can use a Robe of Purity, or Great Holy Staff E knockback, or Hallowfall E out, or Royal Shoes/Cleric Sandals away, to get a Heal off and live through the burst combo. 10% HP as a Healer is JUST enough to be able to pull that off successfully if it is done properly, and that's all I'm asking for, I just don't want to be killed from 100-0 without a chance to even do anything or cast a single spell.

And if you are right, and they still manage to kill you 100-0 in that same time-frame, fine then so be it (in that case it is still not Balanced properly in my mind and they need more adjusting) , BUT ATLEAST they get Punished for it with some Stand-time ... and perhaps in that small amount of Stand-time if your teammates are good enough they can REALLY punish them for dive/bursting the Healer so hard and going deep into the backline. Even the Stand-time alone should help with making their actions more consequential so they can't just repeatedly do this over and over again without getting punished for it in any way, because that's not balanced and it does take the actual "Fun" out of the game.

On a Final Note - you mentioned something about Adrenaline Rush - and while I am not an Axe player myself, I have recently talked to more than one Axe Main that considers it more of a Buff than a Nerf. I went ahead and Read up on the changes myself after talking to him and I can totally understand why... basically AS LONG as you can keep hitting your Target you not only get the otherwise EXTENDED buff of Adrenaline Rush but ALSO it will increase Attack Speed by 40% as well - which is HUGE. You just have to make sure you don't stop attacking for longer than 2.5 seconds... when you are focusing on killing someone and have a 40% Movement Speed and Attack Speed buff - I am fairly sure that it isn't going to be THAT hard to manage to keep Adrenaline Rush going for its Full Duration.

Sure if you get Knockback from a Purity Robe, or something else that prevents you from attacking, you might lose the Buff, but chances are you will be knocked back into some other enemies that you can still quickly switch to and hit to keep your buff going if you wanted to. At least that's what I would do probably, I think in reality the amount of times that you will actually LOSE the buff because you couldn't hit anyone for over 2.5 seconds MID Combat is going to be rather Rare realistically. In which case you can really consider the change to Adrenaline Rush to be more-so overall a buff than a nerf in most cases.

It is a Nerf, however, if you are using Adrenaline Rush more so as a way of Mobility to either Reset fights or to catch people that are already very far out of reach. Though from my understanding, this is not how the spell was intended to be used and that is why they are changing it to begin with.

Either way, Goodluck to you and hope the Patch ends up being helpful to everyone not just Healers in the long run, but for Healers it is a really big deal and I am sad that they didn't stick to their guns (as they stated they were going to in this exact Thread previously) and push the Patch through as is and instead are making us wait longer for it. Honestly, I probably wouldn't care if I didn't read what Retro wrote in this Thread literally stating that they are not going to waste anymore time on making small adjustments for the Patch, which made me believe that it was coming right around the corner so I've been hoping every single day for like 10 days now that it's going to happen, only to find out that it was false information and I've been misled.

The real purpose of my post above was just to complain about the fact that we were told a lie basically, not a hugely dramatic lie, but one that personally caused me a great deal of stress checking every night at 3-4AM if the Patch hit because I have been so excited for it, and a lie nonetheless.

EDIT :

I owe you an Apology @Retro - I didn't realize that the NDA which was recently updated (yesterday) showing the reverted Changes to Curse, etc. that you mentioned, were not actually going to be implemented in the Patch Today and therefore I am now Happy to see the Patch Live! TYVM <3 Sorry for the confusion, there were no updates so I just used my best judgement to understand the delay. But I was admittedly wrong about the situation.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Healheart: EDIT : I owe you an Apology @Retro - I didn't realize that the NDA which was recently updated (yesterday) showing the reverted Changes to Curse, etc. that you mentioned, were not actually going to be implemented in the Patch Today and therefore I am now Happy to see the Patch Live! TYVM <3 Sorry for the confusion, there were no updates so I just used my best judgement to understand the delay. But I was admittedly wrong about the situation. ().

• As for Adrenaline Rush - this ability has been specificly locked into the "single-target" category where its purpose has literally been denied for smallscale upto largescale type of content. There's no point using Adrenaline Rush in group fights because you are locked into auto-attacking your target to get maximum benefit out of the attack speed and movespeed bonus and full duration, whereas you can simply just use either raging blades or internal bleeding for more AoE damage or pressure as an axe player.

The rationale behind "reworking" adrenaline boost sucks, because corrupted dungeon players used their braincells with either escaping or engaging with the ability, and that THIS rework has deeply affected the balance of the weapon in terms of its mobile functionality.

BEFORE: Adrenaline boost can be used for taking engagements and escaping any type of engagement. 1v1, smallscale, largescale = ALL TYPES OF CONTENT

AFTER: Adrenaline boost can only be used for "Offensive" engagements and forces you to auto-attack in order to benefit from it therefore locking you in a state where auto attacking matters more than effectively positioning yourself and using your abilities constantly to be as effective as you can be as a melee dps.
      (This goes against the balance team's idea of balancing the axe weapon tree around rewarding players whom have better positioning for its purpose)
    • j0ei wrote:

As for Adrenaline Rush - this ability has been specificly locked into the "single-target" category where its purpose has literally been denied for smallscale upto largescale type of content. There's no point using Adrenaline Rush in group fights because you are locked into auto-attacking your target to get maximum benefit out of the attack speed and movespeed bonus and full duration, whereas you can simply just use either raging blades or internal bleeding for more AoE damage or pressure as an axe player.

The rationale behind "reworking" adrenaline boost sucks, because corrupted dungeon players used their braincells with either escaping or engaging with the ability, and that THIS rework has deeply affected the balance of the weapon in terms of its mobile functionality.

BEFORE: Adrenaline boost can be used for taking engagements and escaping any type of engagement. 1v1, smallscale, largescale = ALL TYPES OF CONTENT

AFTER: Adrenaline boost can only be used for "Offensive" engagements and forces you to auto-attack in order to benefit from it therefore locking you in a state where auto attacking matters more than effectively positioning yourself and using your abilities constantly to be as effective as you can be as a melee dps.
      (This goes against the balance team's idea of balancing the axe weapon tree around rewarding players whom have better positioning for its purpose)
      I said quite a lot about adrenaline boost. It´s just no good.

Also the funny thing is that the attack speed boost doesnt actually help that much and in scenario where you actually use it to hit with autos, you dont benefit that much from the attack speed.

Why ? Because you basically have to choose - Q or autoattacks :D If you use Q, there is that big delay before you can autoattack again, which in turns devaluates the attack speed. If you decide to use autoattacks and not Q, you risk your oponnent shaking you off and then losing on bleed stacks, which will hurt you a lot. If you decide to hit more with Q, you lose out on doing damage from autoattacks due to huge delay. between being able to use autoattacks. Oh and you also risk oponnent moving away because Q has standtime.
      Either way, you just don´t win in any scenario apart the absolute ultimate perfect scenario where you can put 3 bleeds on target and then keep hitting with autos while also being sure you can secure 3 stacks after rush is over. But goes what ? That never happens, and you can never rely on it. Other scenario is using 3rd Q to root and then popping adrenaline rush, but then you will lack the mobility, so ... yeah. You just don´t win.

Axes after this are extremely unfun to play. For some reason, their damage was heavily nerfed. Mana cost of their abilities is as high as ever. Axes has lowest survability rate out of all melee due to having NOTHING - no mobility, no utility, just damage. Now the damage is being taken away. But that´s not all - now your spells are only hitting at a certain area around you.
      And those abilities, their damage isn´t that huge. In fact, those damaging abilities were what made axe a bit useful. And now, in group fights, you will be glad if you get 50% of value out of them - raging blades, Q on axes etc
      So now you have to use crappy internal bleeding, and i dont think that one even stacks, so only one axe in group fights huh ?

And the idea of axes should position themselves properly - who thought that was a good idea ? Not only is that issue with ping, but when both characters are moving - you are not gonna hit anything , that´s a first thing. The other thing is that in group battles, you are the most Fragile melee out of all and you have no luxury to actually somewhat position yourself so that you deal at least some damage - you try to evade abilities of others. You dont position yourself for " damage " you position yourself so that you will be useful to your team.

So not only axes got heavily nerfed in terms of damage, bleed, healing reduction from Q, in terms of mobility, but also they are now punished for being a melee class - they need to position themselves as a melee. What a joke. Which other weapon is treated like that ? Even if there was absolutely no ping, proper positioning to deal damage, be useful team, and to evade abilities of enemies ? I am sorry, but that would far too much skill - it´s not like it matters, since you can´t pull it off with how server lag works when both characters are moving.

Why not give such treatment to other weapons ? How about making crossbows deal 50% less damage on their Q that is not a skillshot, and it does not interrupt even if target moves away, and not to mention it also deals massive amount of damage ? Axes get nerfed so heavily, yet things like this remains in the game.

If you wanted to make axes use positioning, how about giving them reason to ? It´s so hard to achieve, they should be thus Rewarded if they can pull it off. But they aren´t. Even if they got full value for some reason, the value is still far from worth for doing all that. One can just play 1h mace that deals high damage and CCs or just play frost and absolutely demolish everyone by just standing in one position and destroying people with their Q while also having a save W ability.

So yeah, this changes to axes are a joke. If you want to do some changes, you dont just nerf damage and nerf it even further by adding positioning. If you add positioning, you should make it so that it matters.

Here i can explain on this example : So you would have two weapons.
      One weapon requires positioning and it will deal 115 damage if you get full value from positioning, and 50 damage if you get zero value from positioning. And gaining full value from positioning is next to impossible.
      Other weapon does not need positioning and will deal 100 damage without any positioning.
      Now tell me - which weapon will you pick ?
      Yep.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • New

j0ei wrote:

As for Adrenaline Rush - this ability has been specificly locked into the "single-target" category where its purpose has literally been denied for smallscale upto largescale type of content. There's no point using Adrenaline Rush in group fights because you are locked into auto-attacking your target to get maximum benefit out of the attack speed and movespeed bonus and full duration, whereas you can simply just use either raging blades or internal bleeding for more AoE damage or pressure as an axe player.

Axe had too much mobility so had to be nerfed. Axes identity is DAMAGE and they still deal a lot of damage compared to other melee dps, so they did everything correct by nerfing axe mobility.
    • New

I believe the term is reliability. what players want is the reliability that the damage that they see on the weapon to affect in game

Aoe Q's
      axes Q would deal 350(sweet spot)/230 (inner circle) damage every 3 secs compared to spear 400 Q sword 300 Q and bow Q 350
      axes would add a bleed of 120 on top of that per stack

so in total axes would deal 470 damage if it lands on sweet spot and 230 if it misses sweet spot
      which is a full 100 damage more then most other melee options pre patch which is Good for axes

considering aoe or axe is larger than most other aoe skills i would say that hitting the sweet spot is nice and much rewarding in 10v10 fights
      than any other weapon because it can apply so much pressure to the healer due to the healing debuff

but now if you are hitting only 1 target there are better options than it because now axes has reliability issues with the new changes
      there are just better options when doing reliable single target damage cause people can out play you now or in this case out run you

It is this massive aoe ability that deals so much reliable aoe damage on top of healing reduction that pushed out things like swords and spears in team fights in the first place

i say the nerfs was much needed but at the same time i also feel like its too much because now axes only would see value as a weapon in large fights where both sides brawl it out and axes has so many targets to hit the positioning can be haphazard

and this is because axes has little to no mobility and its only redeeming feature was aoe damage and lots of it to the point where its aoe damage outscales other melee weapons' single target dps
      Check out My new Albion Online Expansion idea 4 thread:
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/143592-Albion-Online-Expansion-Idea-4/
    • New

On a side note i think swords need to differentiate them selves more than spears and daggers

at the moment swords are just so bad as a melee weapon

Putting a side how OP axes was with their massive aoe damage pressure

swords just lost their place in the game as other weapons can do them better and more reliabily

if we were to take a look in swords compare to other weapons we see that:
      spears auto attack play style hits hard but can also switch to kite with long range poke with Q and W when matched with unfavorable matches

daggers or more specificaly bloodletter autos their targets and with the help of deadly swipe Q and other movement skill W they can stick to their target reliably
      and even have a different playstyle of oneshotting people with a change of E skill

but swords who are mainly auto attackers have problems getting in and out as their mobility is reliant on sword stacks.

they also lack any diffrent playstyles across all swords even with diffrent E choices. making them feel stale or easily countered
      aka everyone takes ironwill or parrystrike. other choices are crap

if we can make swords like super scarry when they are up in your face chopping you down by giving them new ranged W and auto attack damage they would be more balanced i hope?
      Check out My new Albion Online Expansion idea 4 thread:
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/143592-Albion-Online-Expansion-Idea-4/
    • New

Timur02 wrote:
      • Axe had too much mobility so had to be nerfed. Axes identity is DAMAGE and they still deal a lot of damage compared to other melee dps, so they did everything correct by nerfing axe mobility.
      Since when did axes have an identity as "DAMAGE?" The entire Axe toolkit revolves around bleeds and "debuff." You do not see Axe clappers in before they introduced the Realmbreaker, and even then, axes were not known for "massive damage."

The states of melee DPS

Before the Galatines nerf - galatines owned the identity of "BIG" damage in any largescale group fights and Carving for consistent damage and pierce on smallscale fights.

Daggers were exceptional in most types of content as well, Bloodletter was very popular amongst the rats for stealing kills in any group fight even though it doesn't deal jack shit for damage outside its Q and W.

Bridled Fury is the NEW galatines now for largescale fights (quick swipes, big damage, low cooldown and 75% resilience penetration)

As for Axes:

• Halberds - not up much for big claps, 400-600 damage max for 15 second Es, consistent bleed pressure and re-application
      • Infernal Scythe (not really good for largescale, just good for roleplaying on smallscale) very shitty damage on largescale fights
      • Carrioncaller (has its possible uses, but mostly popular on 2v2 and 5v5 or smallscale fights) mostly because of the healing reduction it gives
      • Battleaxe (this axe was underused until corrupted / 1v1s came in) - very small E cooldown for sustains, good rework on the weapon
      • Greataxe (was a very popular PVE choice, now given a chance at PVP, actually performs decently - could use a cooldown reduction though - 25s for a 2.5s spin is hilarious but could be better)
      • Realmbreaker (extremely effective for ANY type of group fight)
      • Bear Paws (this axe was underused until the buff to reward a 30-second E cooldown that did mediocre skillshot damage by reducing its cd by 40% "if it lands on atleast 1 player) - its popularity exploded when corrupted dungeons came in, however, the weapon was also good for ANY type of content.

Axes existed this way for a LONG ASS time with the same "Adrenaline Rush" ability throughout the years in Albion. It's only when Corrupted dungeon came and all the rats started playing and crying about it.

Myths about Axes:

Axes had "too much mobility"
      • this is false, you cannot beat a warbow as any other axe other than bearpaws if they play super defensively
      • you also cannot chase a quarterstaff even if both players did everything perfectly, goodluck with that
      Axes deal too much damage
      • Axes deal a lot of damage "over-time" due to bleeds, it doesn't clap as hard as swords did
      • Axes are known for consistent pressure, mobility and debuff, not too much damage.