Testserver Patch Notes - Call to Arms Patch 4

• j0ei wrote:

Timur02 wrote:
      • Axe had too much mobility so had to be nerfed. Axes identity is DAMAGE and they still deal a lot of damage compared to other melee dps, so they did everything correct by nerfing axe mobility.
      Since when did axes have an identity as "DAMAGE?" The entire Axe toolkit revolves around bleeds and "debuff." You do not see Axe clappers in before they introduced the Realmbreaker, and even then, axes were not known for "massive damage."

The states of melee DPS

Before the Galatines nerf - galatines owned the identity of "BIG" damage in any largescale group fights and Carving for consistent damage and pierce on smallscale fights.

Daggers were exceptional in most types of content as well, Bloodletter was very popular amongst the rats for stealing kills in any group fight even though it doesn't deal jack shit for damage outside its Q and W.

Bridled Fury is the NEW galatines now for largescale fights (quick swipes, big damage, low cooldown and 75% resilience penetration)

As for Axes:

• Halberds - not up much for big claps, 400-600 damage max for 15 second Es, consistent bleed pressure and re-application
      • Infernal Scythe (not really good for largescale, just good for roleplaying on smallscale) very shitty damage on largescale fights
      • Carrioncaller (has its possible uses, but mostly popular on 2v2 and 5v5 or smallscale fights) mostly because of the healing reduction it gives
      • Battleaxe (this axe was underused until corrupted / 1v1s came in) - very small E cooldown for sustains, good rework on the weapon
      • Greataxe (was a very popular PVE choice, now given a chance at PVP, actually performs decently - could use a cooldown reduction though - 25s for a 2.5s spin is hilarious but could be better)
      • Realmbreaker (extremely effective for ANY type of group fight)
      • Bear Paws (this axe was underused until the buff to reward a 30-second E cooldown that did mediocre skillshot damage by reducing its cd by 40% "if it lands on atleast 1 player) - its popularity exploded when corrupted dungeons came in, however, the weapon was also good for ANY type of content.

Axes existed this way for a LONG ASS time with the same "Adrenaline Rush" ability throughout the years in Albion. It's only when Corrupted dungeon came and all the rats started playing and crying about it.

Myths about Axes:

Axes had "too much mobility"
      • this is false, you cannot beat a warbow as any other axe other than bearpaws if they play super defensively
      • you also cannot chase a quarterstaff even if both players did everything perfectly, goodluck with that
      Axes deal too much damage
      • Axes deal a lot of damage "over-time" due to bleeds, it doesn't clap as hard as swords did
      • Axes are known for consistent pressure, mobility and debuff, not too much damage.

Still, there is an axe for every type of content which makes axes a very good weapon tree, axes are still meta. Devs have to focus on weapons that are actually bad such as swords, nature staffs, and hammers.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Timur02 ().

• Timur02 wrote:

Still, there is an axe for every type of content which makes axes a very good weapon tree, axes are still meta. Devs have to focus on weapons that are actually bad such as swords, nature staffs, and hammers.
      The problem here timmy is the "nerf" mentality. Instead of nerfing, how about "buffing" other weapon trees to be able to compete with each other instead?

If you nerf down another weapon tree to be inline with other weapons of its own type, it does not suddenly make the other weapons viable. Trash weapons will still be trash until they get a "rework"

Give the other weapon trees a much more impactful setup or toolkit and you will have a fun game where each weapon tree has its very own strengths and weaknesses.

DO NOT balance a weapon tree around ONE specific type of content as that tends to ruin the weapon as a whole for OTHER types of content.
    • Remember when the balance team "Reworked" spirithunter? That was a great start! at first during the testing phases it was "brokenly far stronger" than intended because it can 1-shot an entire zerg, while mounted from 100-0 at full 8.3 gear sets

They fixed what was broken and now you have an actual ZvZ weapon for the spear tree.

Good job on that, they need to keep it up with that kind of rework instead of nerfing others
    • j0ei wrote:

Timur02 wrote:

The problem here timmy is the "nerf" mentality. Instead of nerfing, how about "buffing" other weapon trees to be able to compete with each other.
      Axes were number 1 melee dps and no other melee dps could compete with them. It is easier to nerf the overpowered weapon instead of buffing other weapons so devs just did that.
    • Timur02 wrote:

Halberd is still good, bearpows are still good, 1h axe was reworked and it is now played in Corrupted Dungeons, same with great axe, what else do you want? I think axe players are too spoiled.
      I can see based on your playtime and history that you have not played Albion Online long enough to understand where each melee weapon sits in the meta, and how OTHER melee weapon trees fare as compared to this one.

I think noobs shouldn't express their uninformed opinions on topics of "balancing"

Axes were number 1 melee dps? LMFAO

• You've not been clapped by Galatine pairs during its prime before they nerfed it multiple times down the ground
      • You've not been clapped by a Bridled Fury that can literally one-shot (this is the new galas for this season) a clump of people
      • Spirithunters have been very consistent and good for largescale fights and toptier ZvZ players have made this weapon a top-pick
      • Dual swords and Carving have been very good in smallscale for quite some time now, Claymore and broadswords were quite a popular pick in Corrupteds until the daggerpair buff arrived
      • Clarent blade bruiser slaps in ZvZ as well, far more consistently than most melee weapons
      • Axes were generally preferred SPECIFICALLY because of the bleeds and healing debuff, not known for being #1 melee dps or having the highest dps / damage
    • Timur02 wrote:

Halberd is still good, bearpows are still good, 1h axe was reworked and it is now played in Corrupted Dungeons, same with great axe, what else do you want? I think axe players are too spoiled.
      stop trolling and making these posts everywhere.

As it was said many times everywhere, axe changes are really bad.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • I support "REWORK" but not "nerfs"

If the intention is to "rework" a weapon so it can better compete against other weapon trees because it currently sits at the bottom then that's a great thing

If the intention is to "nerf" a weapon so it can be "in-line" with the other weapon trees that COULD use a rework instead. That's a terrible thing
    • j0ei wrote:

Timur02 wrote:

I can see based on your playtime and history that you have not played Albion Online long enough to understand where each melee weapon sits in the meta, and how OTHER melee weapon trees fare as compared to this one.
      I think noobs shouldn't express their uninformed opinions on topics of "balancing"

Axes were number 1 melee dps? LMFAO

• You've not been clapped by Galatine pairs during its prime before they nerfed it multiple times down the ground
      • You've not been clapped by a Bridled Fury that can literally one-shot (this is the new galas for this season) a clump of people
      • Spirithunters have been very consistent and good for largescale fights and toptier ZvZ players have made this weapon a top-pick
      • Dual swords and Carving have been very good in smallscale for quite some time now, Claymore and broadswords were quite a popular pick in Corrupteds until the daggerpair buff arrived
      • Clarent blade bruiser slaps in ZvZ as well, far more consistently than most melee weapons
      • Axes were generally preferred SPECIFICALLY because of the bleeds and healing debuff, not known for being #1 melee dps or having the highest dps / damage

I still see more people use axe than spears or swords or daggers so they are still the best melee dps.
    • Revert the grove changes...NOW! You have unironically killed grove in all forms of content, and made the E the least satisfying and unusable ability in the entire game to press. It takes a FULL SECOND before your grove even hits the ground after E activation, and the enemy players get a big warning indication circle. You feel like an absolute mong missing every single player, and get laughed at by others now for even considering using a grove in any content.

For reference, single handed mace does exactly the same thing as grove, with a way faster cast time and no indication circle with only a slightly smaller radius. Grove was the only remaining usable hammer, and you have decided to nerf it essentially in every way possible TO. THE. GROUND. If you didn't want people using it, just delete it from the game, as that is essentially what you did.

Also, I don't know why you have people like @Robinhoodrs testing, who publicly praise the changes here and say well done, and then state "trust me, I was very against the GK changes" in DM's. You have some serious work to do in order to fix your game. If you continue to make all the fun weapons unfun for the sake of 5's and corrupted dungeon balancing, no one will continue to play. This is NOT a MOBA, and does not need to be balanced like a MOBA.

From me, and the 100+ people upvoting grove RIP posts on reddit, FIX YOUR GAME!

~ScarletVenenum / AurumTitanos
      albiononline2d.com/en/scoreboa…rs/_CzaSAAiQaat5UIuGwoS6Q

The post was edited 1 time, last by AurumTitanos ().

• Timur02 wrote:

I still see more people use axe than spears or swords or daggers so they are still the best melee dps.
      That's the whole problem...all those weapon tree's used to be very good and were fun to play in beta's and release until "balance testers" got their hands on them and made them unfun and unplayable. You might support the axe nerfs now, but when the meta shifts back to swords or spears, and they start being run out of necessity / lack of options you won't. They will nerf things yet again to make them even slower and more unfun, and you will wish you were on the rework and buff wagon and not the nerf and slow wagon.

Adding cast time, adding forced ability targeting, adding more indicators, adding stand time, adding jump time, nerfing damage in order to balance for a single content type, all these things are the primary tools of the "balancers" right now (and have been since beta 1), and they are slowly ruining the game one patch at a time. Making things slower is an objectively bad game design decision. Sure, the player count is up and the casuals enjoy low damage weapons all around because it means they die less, but us core player won't stick around, and when the pandemic ends your 1 death quitter Andy's will go the way of the dodo bird and us veteran players won't stick around to support you.

• AurumTitanos wrote:

Also, I don't know why you have people like @Robinhoodrs testing, who publicly praise the changes here and say well done, and then state "trust me, I was very against the GK changes" in DM's. You have some serious work to do in order to fix your game. If you continue to make all the fun weapons unfun for the sake of 5's and corrupted dungeon balancing, no one will continue to play. This is NOT a MOBA, and does not need to be balanced like a MOBA.

My feedback was posted in the correct channels where it can be seen by Retroman, my comment on this topic was for the whole patch, mainly focusing on the Hellgate changes and 20v20 CGvG. Just because I wasn't public on disagreeing on the changes to the GK here doesn't mean I wasn't elsewhere, where I know it matters more and is posted in the correct way.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Robinhoodrs ().

• Robinhoodrs wrote:

My feedback was posted in the correct channels where it can be seen by Retroman, my comment on this topic was for the whole patch, mainly focusing on the Hellgate changes and 20v20 CGvG. Just because I wasn't public on disagreeing on the changes to the GK here doesn't mean I wasn't elsewhere, where I know it matters more and is posted in the correct way.
      Publicly calling out SBI for bad decisions is the only way things get fixed. If the community didn't fight back we wouldn't even have this thread to begin with to see behind the curtain. A single comment by a single play tester behind the scenes shouldn't be worth more than hundreds of non-play testers comments publicly on the Reddit. Also, the more high profile community figures that come out publicly against the changes, the better. If you truly don't support the changes, rally the community behind you in asking for them to revert it, or don't if you really think your spot on this elitist club of testers is more valuable.

The community of players should have a much bigger voice in this whole "balancing" process. Right now, the balance recommendations are done by a few select elitist testers and unstable veteran players, with virtually zero room for the community to see into the process apart from this thread.

• Robinhoodrs wrote:

Before the addition of explatations to patch notes the player base was given virtually none argumentation as to why X or Y change happened at all, as a result the argumentation that's made without any proper visibility leaves the community to assume whatever.
      Even people who write comprehensive posts to certain game issues have no idea if they have been heard at all or not, unless it's a "calm down guys" from the community manager in a disproportionally popular thread.

Be aware that you are dealing with the community outside of your secluded forum section, and you will be viewed drastically different here.
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?
    • AurumTitanos wrote:

Publicly calling out SBI for bad decisions is the only way things get fixed. If the community didn't fight back we wouldn't even have this thread to begin with to see behind the curtain. A single comment by a single play tester behind the scenes shouldn't be worth more than hundreds of non-play testers comments publicly on the Reddit. Also, the more high profile community figures that come out publicly against the changes, the better. If you truly don't support the changes, rally the community behind you in asking for them to revert it, or don't if you really think your spot on this elitist club of testers is more valuable.
      The community of players should have a much bigger voice in this whole "balancing" process. Right now, the balance recommendations are done by a few select elitist testers and unstable veteran players, with virtually zero room for the community to see into the process apart from this thread.

This is true, however some of these balancing changes are directed toward "one" specific type of content which is corrupteds. And the changes that corrupted players cried and begged for basically made it for better or worse in CD but absolutely fucked in other type of content.

Corrupted Player X: Y weapon is op in corrupted! NERF IT!

Corrupted Player Y: X weapon is broken meta in corrupted! NERF IT/ REWORK IT!

Players who don't play corrupted = Get fucked for using weapon X and Y in OTHER types of content.
    • j0ei wrote:

This is true, however some of these balancing changes are directed toward "one" specific type of content which is corrupteds. And the changes that corrupted players cried and begged for basically made it for better or worse in CD but absolutely fucked in other type of content.
      Corrupted Player X: Y weapon is op in corrupted! NERF IT!

Corrupted Player Y: X weapon is broken meta in corrupted! NERF IT/ REWORK IT!

Players who don't play corrupted = Get fucked for using weapon X and Y in OTHER types of content.

I agree, however those players should be simply ignored OR corrupted should have its own balancing values like PvE does. One type of instanced content should not effect everyone else playing the game as it was originally intended.

The game started as an open world pvp game, and has slowly moved towards more and more MOBA like instanced content. For instance, stun run objectively did not need nerfed anywhere other than corrupted, yet now double bladed is objectively worse for ganking open world and every other form of content where stun run is used.

Corrupted content affects the experience of two players at a time negatively if not balanced correctly, where as ganking / open world 20v20 / ZvZ content affects the experience of way more people and should be prioritized as such. I know ganking content is typically treated with heavy disdain by the devs (because it causes casual players to quit and drive down shop revenue), but not catching an enemy player because your ganking weapon was nerfed for the sake of corrupteds negatively impacts your entire party's experience.

• AurumTitanos wrote:

I agree, however those players should be simply ignored OR corrupted should have its own balancing values like PvE does. One type of instanced content should not effect everyone else playing the game as it was originally intended.

The game started as an open world pvp game, and has slowly moved towards more and more MOBA like instanced content. For instance, stun run objectively did not need nerfed anywhere other than corrupted, yet now double bladed is objectively worse for ganking open world and every other form of content where stun run is used.

Corrupted content affects the experience of two players at a time negatively if not balanced correctly, where as ganking / open world 20v20 / ZvZ content affects the experience of way more people and should be prioritized as such. I know ganking content is typically treated with heavy disdain by the devs (because it causes casual players to quit and drive down shop revenue), but not catching an enemy player because your ganking weapon was nerfed for the sake of corrupteds negatively impacts your entire party's experience.

And the sadge part is that some of these weapons have been around the same way for years and not a lot of people complained about them until Corrupted Dungeons content came in.

For example, Axes' adrenaline rush had this mobility option available for such a long time that it has never caused much problems in any type of content - Only in corrupteds where players use its high mobility to reset and regen cheese fights.

Frost shot - nerfed to have cast time because it was too good for "corrupted" pvp - this ability was well loved by players who enjoy OPEN WORLD CONTENT

QS - nerfed because people just can't catch up to this hit-and-run build that will catch dubs using reset-regen cheese. As a matter of fact, this has never been an ISSUE in any other content other than CORRUPTED dungeons.

Daggerpair - the damage from this weapon has been like this for ages, the only buff hey gave it was to speed up the cast time enough to land a full combo during a stun with the shadow's edge as well as to add healing reduction on the E.

some of these are just a few examples of what has been nerfed due to the fact that it is overtuned for corrupteds. It was perfectly fine for OTHER types of content but they HAD to ruin it.
    • well i like the grovekeeper changes. shouldnt be that easy to just leap and stun a huge area. Im glad they reduce the cast time slightly (testserver patch) and maybe give it back that 1 m radius. but otherwise just use it wisely and its fine, its also not the first tank weapon anymore, the groups got to bring more fast CC aswell but that has its downsides also -> less radius, just root, etc
      Aaooouuuu!!! [VVolfpack] is recruiting brave Warriors. Disc:v3gPFU7yzz
    • jack12 wrote:

well i like the grovekeeper changes. shouldnt be that easy to just leap and stun a huge area. Im glad they reduce the cast time slightly (testserver patch) and maybe give it back that 1 m radius. but otherwise just use it wisely and its fine, its also not the first tank weapon anymore, the groups got to bring more fast CC aswell but that has its downsides also -> less radius, just root, etc
      I guess it's fine to kill weapons one after even though such a huge AoE stun can easily be "cleansed" by a mercenary hood, or any other cleansing ability. Lmfao