Suggestion: Focus Rework

• Economy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestion: Focus Rework

Greetings!

I've been playing over a year now and don't have much negative to say about the game. There's a lot to love in Albion and I agree with most of the changes that have been implemented since I've started playing, which was a few months before the Queen update.

However, I feel that the way focus is generated really takes away from the "Do everything on one character" aesthetic of the game. What if instead focus was generated by activities in a similar way to challenge points? Still premium characters only, of course. It seems to me this would solve the problem of having to create alts just to fulfill other crafting professions. Which is my main concern as a silly scrub, here. I just want my actual character name as a brand on the things that I craft, not KnughtMaces, KnughtAxes, KnughtSwords. That just seems lame to me.

After pondering this suggestion for some time, I also think it may have other healthy effects on the game. Focus being given as a reward would cause people to have to work for it in some way other than just investing in a premium character. A character who does nothing but craft is never going to be as profitable as a character that actually goes out and plays the game. This could cause some players to invest in more high end gear, seeing it as an investment in being able to grind focus faster. It could also lead to a different way of thinking about loot balance with an additional currency to be awarded.

If I were implementing this imaginary change I would take the current amount of focus being generated by premium accounts right now and divide it by the current amount of challenge points being generated by characters with premium active and use that as a starting point on how fast the focus should be awarded. If that were done, then if everyone played the same way after the change as they do now then there would be the same amount of focus being generated.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to community feedback!
    • Knught wrote:

Focus being given as a reward would cause people to have to work for it in some way other than just investing in a premium character.
      Focus is granted from premium status, if I have to do different things for focus points, please drastically reduce the price for premium status because practically focus and LP is the only reason I buy premium status (yes fame is fine, but focus points and LP do it does not equalize with fame bonus).
      If your idea (or a similar one) took off and the price for premium status remained unchanged, then I can say for myself that I would not put a dollar in premium status for myself and my alt characters.
      So not from me.
    • You’re forgetting one important point. Alts generate revenue for SBI.

It’s not an oversight that focus is generated this way and that alts with premium are desirable. It’s designed that way to generate revenue. It’s part of the business model.

They aren’t going to change that.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

You’re forgetting one important point. Alts generate revenue for SBI.

It’s not an oversight that focus is generated this way and that alts with premium are desirable. It’s designed that way to generate revenue. It’s part of the business model.

No argument from me on the fact they generate profit this way! I'm merely stating that I think the crafting system would be more fun if focus were generated in some way other than paying additional subs.
    • Midgard wrote:

You’re forgetting one important point. Alts generate revenue for SBI.

The idea has merit. Just because they add a way to earn focus in game by playing the game doesn't mean that you can't still buy premium on an alt for passive focus everyday. It's the same as people who buy their premium with real money vs grinding silver to pay it.

I'd love if there was a way to combine the two. I get my premium for 10k focus per day, but I am also able to do activities in game that will generate more focus. It gives me a reason to PLAY the game as an end game player.

I don't need fame, I don't need money, I need content. All i do is log in, craft and log out till the next day.