Help chat not a place for mentors?

• Help chat not a place for mentors?

After Drygore posted this in help, some help chat players decided to call him out on "not answering questions" (there was an argue after that).
      Is help chat only for answering questions? Is it not place for mentors for example?
      Sometimes I'm willing to run content with newbies and show them the ropes.. but last time I tried posting something like "PM me if you need a mentor" I got burned by half of help chat.
      Images
      • helpchat1.png

101.61 kB, 507×142, viewed 113 times
    • Screw em. If it's not a Mod or GM they don't make the rules. I've seen that argument before and I don't know why people flex in help chat but they do.

Fwiw a lot of the information given there is also wrong or less than right sometimes. Gotta figure it out on your own when that happens
    • Pawney wrote:

<snip..>

Is help chat only for answering questions? Is it not place for mentors for example?
      Sometimes I'm willing to run content with newbies and show them the ropes.. but last time I tried posting something like "PM me if you need a mentor" I got burned by half of help chat.
      Hey there @Pawney,

The /help chat is for in-game Q&A, but I've a seen a lot veterans mentoring newer players and they're doing that by guiding them via whispers as not to clutter the channel. Having said that, if any player would like to form a group to help out newer players, then they can promote that in the /lfg channel instead. Most of the players asking in the help channel are looking for specific answers and not really into grouping very early on.

The developers are aware of this need and have confirmed that there will be a mentor system sometime in the future to help with the new player experience: Dev Talk: Year-End Update

Zandragal wrote:

Screw em. If it's not a Mod or GM they don't make the rules. I've seen that argument before and I don't know why people flex in help chat but they do.

Fwiw a lot of the information given there is also wrong or less than right sometimes. Gotta figure it out on your own when that happens

Most of my time is spent answering questions in the help chat and if you notice something is misleading or incorrect, please feel free to post the correct information instead. There's also no need to backseat moderate, some players are just posting reminders so that the other players are more aware. If you see a player going against the rules it's better to just report it.
    • Fair enough. The example I saw was a lot of people basically ganging up on someone who had been whispering me help and tips. I forget if I initiated or the guy posted something like 'whisper me if you have questions and I'll help'. I think it was the latter and I whispered.

When it came up in help chat they were trying to make it out like how dare he used whispers instead of the channel to answer me, despite being very helpful and informative about my questions, so I defended him.

It was strange
    • The irritation of some users regarding whispers instead of channel messages may stem from the fact that the other players might also be looking for the same information you ask for by means of a whisper. Remember, if a question is good enough to ask one user, it's usually good enough to ask the group as a whole. Asking and answering in whisper helps you and you alone, while the same exchange posted in public helps everyone who's on the channel at the time.
      When somebody whispers a question to me (usually as a follow-up to a response I posted publicly in the channel), I always respond by the same means (so as not to post "out-of-context" answers publicly), but it always makes me wonder when the next guy on the channel is going to ask the same question (some of these questions really do come back a lot! :) )

Other than that, I think that what @Evas_Flarelight posted above provides a solid guideline we can all adhere to. Personally, I keep my fingers crossed for the Albion Academy - this idea is something I'd really like to become a reality one day!
    • That's just the way it is though. New people are going to ask the same questions over and over again, because each one is new. It's not like the help channel is searchable or you can easily look at the chat history.

Using the help channel to find someone who can whisper and help you directly with specific questions, or even better, to add as a friend and resource, is still perfectly useful to newbs like me. Whereas saying that's somehow 'wrong' is counter productive. Who cares how people receive the help as long as they receive it?

And most certainly filling up the help chat with an argument about it between a bunch of players who aren't even mods is also counter productive