We need a Fog of War System ASAP!!!

• We need a Fog of War System ASAP!!!

Some of you mustn't know but there is a config gimmick that allows you to increase your FOV in Albion. In other words, you have a wider view of the field than the other that doensn't know how to do this trick. This video explains how it works: youtube.com/watch?v=V90NwKL1ILo

Can you have any idea of how much disadvantage a player is against someone that makes use of this gimmick? Specially defenseless ones like gatherers? Let me explain how does it work: you will spot your target tag but he won't spot your. All you need to do is use an invibility potion, get near the target and you won't need even to dismount your foe! With an anti-anti-gank build (CD Reduction, Sprint Cancel etc) it's almost impossible escape such gank alive.

The worst thing is that some monitors like mine, despite being Full HD, don't have the option to customize a resolution to amplify to max my FOV in Albion. So yes, if you have the way to do this trick you can have a big advantage ofensivelly or defensivelly. You can use stealth to gank a player that won't even see your tag on screen. You can spot your target before he is even aware of your presence so you can escape before he spots you.

That would be solve by the simples add of a FoW System so my question is why it wasn't implemente yet after all this years. I'm done with Albion. I don't mind loosing for a ganker by my fault, but get killed for a unfair advantage is way too much to handle. I don't know if this problem has been patched yet and there is no way to know because my graphic card doesn't support custom resolutions. Now I can't gather on this map because this guy keeps killing me everytime with this gimmick and there is absolutely nothing to do because I loose my mount instantly and his set is an anti-anti-gank.

I'm out of Albion untill this get fixed or people that makes use of that get banned. I get mad on being ganked everytime but that's tolerable, it's part of the game that I relutanctlly accept, but I do. But people using gimmicks to reduce to zero my chances to escape is way too much for me.

But considering that has been 4 years since Albion was released, I have my doubts if they are going to do something about that. It's very simple, but it looks like SBI wants do give advantage for people that actually can make this trick work. There are old topic treating the same subject, even and Admin answered but seemed to ignore the point that is the implementation of a FoW System so resolution tricks or huge monitor won't make a difference.
    • SHARKY wrote:

While this setting does give you a very slightly wider view, it does not show name tags any earlier - name tags show up at the same time in any resolution.
      What about advantage that 21:9 resolution gives you in corrupted dungeons? I died so many time against players who see me before I see them and they just change their skills to full counter me
      Best killboard for your Discord:
      killboard-1.com/
      discord.gg/Mqf3KyjZSS
    • There already exists a "fog of war" system; your Albion Online client receives limited information from the server based on the distance around your character - which is the same for all clients, regardless of your screen size. As @SHARKY mentioned above, you can see the Nametag of the player off-screen, and having a wider aspect ratio won't help you spot the player faster.

If you're interested in technical details, I would recommend checking out this presentation from our CTO David Salz at Unity Europe 2016 (relevant part begins at 18:00):

Of course there are some advantages to having a wider aspect ratio, such as seeing the terrain further (which is not server-side information) or allowing you to visually see your opponent's gear faster. Given that Albion Online supports many different platforms and therefore many different aspect ratios, there have to be some compromises made. The trend of screen aspect ratios is moving away from 16:9, so it doesn't make sense to limit everyone to this aspect ratio.
    • Elsa wrote:

Of course there are some advantages to having a wider aspect ratio, such as seeing the terrain further (which is not server-side information) or allowing you to visually see your opponent's gear faster.
      You could solve this problem by making player name clickable, so players with standard aspect ratio could inspect opponent even if they dont see his on screen
      killboard-1.com/
      discord.gg/Mqf3KyjZSS
    • Elsa wrote:

There already exists a "fog of war" system; your Albion Online client receives limited information from the server based on the distance around your character - which is the same for all clients, regardless of your screen size. As @SHARKY mentioned above, you can see the Nametag of the player off-screen, and having a wider aspect ratio won't help you spot the player faster.

If you're interested in technical details, I would recommend checking out this presentation from our CTO David Salz at Unity Europe 2016 (relevant part begins at 18:00):

Of course there are some advantages to having a wider aspect ratio, such as seeing the terrain further (which is not server-side information) or allowing you to visually see your opponent's gear faster. Given that Albion Online supports many different platforms and therefore many different aspect ratios, there have to be some compromises made. The trend of screen aspect ratios is moving away from 16:9, so it doesn't make sense to limit everyone to this aspect ratio.
      That is nice and all but with elevation changes in the terrain (and widescreens) you can clearly see players before their nametags which allows for some invis ganking where the target can't see the players going invisible. Also the fact that you get more visibility on widescreens is an undeniable advantage especially in something like a zvz.
    • Elsa wrote:

There already exists a "fog of war" system; your Albion Online client receives limited information from the server based on the distance around your character - which is the same for all clients, regardless of your screen size. As @SHARKY mentioned above, you can see the Nametag of the player off-screen, and having a wider aspect ratio won't help you spot the player faster.

Thanks for the clarifications, Elsa. I didn't know about that. That concludes that my "stalker" is probably using a radar hack to spot me. I even recorded a video as evidence prooving that we didn't get each other tags before he ganks me. Some may call it luck, but that happened to me three times with the same player in the same map. Too much "luck" for me. I thought he was using this trick to get advantage on me but it is just the "good" and old radar hack. No highgrounds on the proximity. There also the issue @becauseahaha stated, but in my case it won't bother me too much because I gather. But it is still a problem.

Fusionbomb wrote:

Auriden wrote:

Now I can't gather on this map... there is absolutely nothing to do...
      try a different zone?
      Yes that's a solution but not the one I wanted. Because if it wasn't for this hacker I'd have the perfect place to gather. Anyway, that's what I'm doing... gathering in other maps. They are not so good as the old one but while this hacker don't get banned that's the alternative.

becauseahaha wrote:

SHARKY wrote:

While this setting does give you a very slightly wider view, it does not show name tags any earlier - name tags show up at the same time in any resolution.
      What about advantage that 21:9 resolution gives you in corrupted dungeons? I died so many time against players who see me before I see them and they just change their skills to full counter me
      Maybe I'm mistaken but as long as I know you can't change gear while you are on CDs.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Auriden ().

• Auriden wrote:

Maybe I'm mistaken but as long as I know you can't change gear while you are on CDs.
      You cant change gear but you can change abilities. So how is it work in CDs. You inspect enemy's gear and change your skills to the best to counter him. For fair 1v1 both of you should have opportunity to do it at the same time. But if someone has 21:9 screen or using some software to change it to ultra wide, he see you and can inspect before you. Thats all, you dead.
      killboard-1.com/
      discord.gg/Mqf3KyjZSS