Faction War doesn't make sense: capture, leave, retake. Combat needless

• Faction Warfare
    • Faction War doesn't make sense: capture, leave, retake. Combat needless

It looks like this. You capture outposts, and then it's in your best interest to lose them so you can retake them. Combat is needless. Factions just ride sectors in turns and grind points. I don't think it works as intended.
    • I do have to agree. I was hoping that a "campaign" would imply some reason to hold zones. Honestly I think FW is mostly worse off for this change. No reason to gank in yellow/blue zones, no reason to hold an outpost but now you're stuck playing one faction, it feels even more meaningless than before. I think that clusters should gain in actual value for holding them, rather than meaningless stars that are only valuable to the attacker. Defend your cluster for a while? Now the enchant rates go up or something.
    • +1 to all the above posts.

I've been participating in the new FW almost daily since it rolled out... and my feeling is that there is really little strategy in it. It's more like raiding party race. You zerg up, then get on an outpost-capturing tour (aka "the outpost merry-go-round") until you get stopped by a larger zerg from whatever faction's territory you've been raiding. Then you either get downed and respawn, or turn tail and run (unflagging optionally) to form up on another zerg that will stop the other faction's snowball dead in its tracks.
      While you do get points from "defending your land" (aka being in the cluster when outpost gets recaptured), there is little incentive to actually try and push the frontline as far away from the capital as possible.
      Before the update, the maps between the cities showed signs of fortifications (fragments of walls, towers and similar structures bearing city banners on them)... now I rarely see them, and even if I do, they have no effect whatsoever. What if they could be brought back to life? What if certain places on certain maps provided long-lasting strategical benefits (like, a chokepoint blocked by a powerful watchtower with defences that must be conquered, or it takes a long route to bypass) or faction-wide bonuses (like, a magical structure boosting defence by 5% to all flagged players of a controlling faction)? I'm sure this would make the players want to conquer and hold these. Besides, points for cluster hilding need to be buffed up so that it's worthwhile to actually take and hold them instead of just trading them back and forth as it is now.

And don't forget that there must be winners and losers in each war.
      city that has no more territory can be considered defeated
      If that were the case, Caerleon would have been sacked many times over ;)

Still, an interesting idea... attacking city gates for a huuuge faction points reward and huge loot (like a big bag of silver or a high-tier drop for everyone involved).... Mmm... tasty :D

it would be great if each controlled outpost had a 6 hour time lag for the opponent to acquire him
      so we can organize the tactics more neatly
      Great idea, I logged in and all outposts was captured 3 hours ago. Well, no more content for me - bb, see you tomorrow.
      /sarcasm

lotto19 wrote:

And don't forget that there must be winners and losers in each war.
      city that has no more territory can be considered defeated
      Lets say they have -50% fame farm penalty, yea? This is the best way to make system self-balanced, so that no one is playing for the losing faction.
      /sarcasm

Think a bit about your ideas before posting pls.
    • So there is a game called Dark Age of Camelot which perfected a faction based/realm vs realm pvp system. Each faction had their own zones with numerous keeps. Each keep had 3 towers with it. If you took a keep and the towers it buffed your realm. Keep takes and tower takes were not simple run in and kill a guard. You had to destroy the doors to the keep to get in while fighting the enemy realm players, then make your way and kill the keep lord or tower guard. Whoever owned the most keeps in total, unlocked a pvp dungeon with great bosses that dropped great loot. So you got dungeon access as well as buffs for your realm. The buffs were escalating depending how many towers and keeps you had. This gave you a great amount of *need* for the faction based war and was the heart of the end game content. There were also relics in certain relic keeps that you had to carry back to your own keeps to hold for safeguard which granted nice damage or health bonuses as well. Guilds could claim towers and keeps and upgrade them to be stronger. An unclaimed tower could be taken by a small 3 man, but full upgrade tier 10 tower would take groups to take.

Not saying this game needs to copy this 100%... but the game was created in 99/2000 and today still has people playing the live version and the classic freeshard due to how well the pvp system is. WoW tried to duplicate it with Wintergrasp and that was a failure. They have an amazing platform with Albion Online to where you could really boost up faction wars for not only a purpose, but for those without massive guilds that do GvG, a great sense of "faction pride/necessity to pvp in the faction wars. They also had realm ranks and realm titles, similar to the faction war promotions, but you retained your total amount forever.
      Give this NEW company a chance to get all the kinks worked out. Things happen. Chill out for a little bit.