Please Rework Swords

• Do please remember that the last aoe escalation nerf was decently due to people complaining about 6.2 no spec gala one shotting people with the E. (so instead of tweaking the E damage or iron will which is used to not be purged they nerfed any and all aoe weapons).

So I am curious why swords need a buff when they are one of the most versatile weapon in the game even after all the "past" nerf? I mean broadsword E is still broken. Melee weapon that can hit through obstacle if target is behind an obstacle and out of melee range (yes it does happen, the player gets stopped by the object, but the damage still lands for some reason).

There is a reflect/i frame on W if needs be, there is something to not be purged of stacks on W, there is something to root and/or interrupt on the W and there is mobility gained from iron will and having stacks up.

The Q is mostly used to gain stacks.
      Passives are to deal more damage, gain stacks or gain resistance.

And some of the E's are heavy damage, lower resistance, stunt/cc, i-frames.

sO i literally consider this whole post as being one person that can't stand being outplayed consistently because they can't properly use the skills of the weapons or make a half decent build.
    • NOW GUYS LETS DO SOME MATHS

Let's go for simple but correct maths OK ?

Let's see how many damage I deal with my carving sword in 2 min with two configurations one with a 2.54% CD reduction armor passive and one with the 6% attack speed passive.

CD Reduction : 45.006

E : 6*800=4.800
      W : 8*720=5.760
      Q : 42*323=13.566
      Autos : 174*120=20.800

ATK Speed : 45.560

Q : 40*323=12.920
      Autos : 184*120=22080

Those numbers are the total damage that you can deal in 120 sec.

There is some things that you need to know with those numbers :

- Seconds when you are launching skills and that you can't autoattacking have been neglect that make autoattacks DPS a bit lower in reality.

- Q stack ATK Speed boost have not been included in maths that make autoattacks DPS higher in reality.

- Every auto or spells that could be launched in time have been launched and hit the target, ennemy have always been in range for every spell and every autos. That give advantage for both configurations.

- The seconds taken on cooldowns after the end of timer have not been take in count (If in 120s you can make 8,3 E spell, you only make 8 in reality). That gives a great advantage to ATK speed config.

- Weapon passive have not been take in count that give a little advantage to CD reduction configuration.

- Mana burning have not been take in count that give great advantage to CD reduction configuration.

SO NOW ? CONCLUSION

Even with the carving (No high damage E) I wasn't even sure that a 6% atk speed buff is better than a 2.54% CD reduction, but those simple and approximatives maths makes me right. But I was sure that the two DPS would be barely the same. And I bet it would be same for every spells, maybe not for the Broadsword.

At least those numbers show the stupidity to think that autos is not a huge part of the swords total DPS.

In reality I still think that autoattacking is a sword player basic, that is what make a difference between a win and a death with a Claymore in CD, that is what make you able to kill 2 or 3 people alone with your carving etc... Your Q stack is a DPS bonus if you are autoattacking so what a fucking stupid move to not use them

OFC I talk in general, don't post just to say "nO I dOnT aUtOAtTaCk WiTh My ZvZ gAlLaS lOl"

The post was edited 2 times, last by TeckTeck ().

• moking wrote:

TeckTeck wrote:

2nd passive - Put an infinite -4% dmg/heal pwr that was an absolute gift against every ennemy with high hp regen
      :D just lol.No just no. Go fight a merc jacket with this passive, literally useless.Your entire analysis is wrong.Just go pvp , stop pveing and learn the weapon.
      That was the only way to kill a PvP druid with swords before they get nerfed ^^

OK my bad maybe "an absolute gift" is way too much for this passive that is the most shitty of all, but I lowkey like it because the idea is good, rn it would need a good boost like effect x2 or a change in the effect like -10% speed for 2s every hit or 4% damage taken idk.

I rekt you when you want with multiple kind of swords, you can take what you want, we can even make some 1vs3 fight with me and my pretty carving sword. :thumbup:
    • Deathskills wrote:

Do please remember that the last aoe escalation nerf was decently due to people complaining about 6.2 no spec gala one shotting people with the E. (so instead of tweaking the E damage or iron will which is used to not be purged they nerfed any and all aoe weapons).

So I am curious why swords need a buff when they are one of the most versatile weapon in the game even after all the "past" nerf? I mean broadsword E is still broken. Melee weapon that can hit through obstacle if target is behind an obstacle and out of melee range (yes it does happen, the player gets stopped by the object, but the damage still lands for some reason).

There is a reflect/i frame on W if needs be, there is something to not be purged of stacks on W, there is something to root and/or interrupt on the W and there is mobility gained from iron will and having stacks up.

The Q is mostly used to gain stacks.
      Passives are to deal more damage, gain stacks or gain resistance.

And some of the E's are heavy damage, lower resistance, stunt/cc, i-frames.

sO i literally consider this whole post as being one person that can't stand being outplayed consistently because they can't properly use the skills of the weapons or make a half decent build.
      Totally agree with you.

Maybe you don't play swords but I swear there is a little thing with this weapons that is unbalanced compared to ranged weapons.

RN they are pretty good weapons, they just lack of mobility, they just need to be a bit better at chasing people. I repeat just a 3rd Q would make them one of the best weapon of the game, and ofc the most funny gameplay.
    • TeckTeck wrote:

NOW GUYS LETS DO SOME MATHS

Let's go for simple but correct maths OK ?

Let's see how many damage I deal with my carving sword in 2 min with two configurations one with a 2.54% CD reduction armor passive and one with the 6% attack speed passive.

CD Reduction : 45.006

Q : 42*323=13.566
      Autos : 174*120=20.800

ATK Speed : 45.560

Q : 40*323=12.920
      Autos : 184*120=22080

Those numbers are the total damage that you can deal in 120 sec.

There is some things that you need to know with those numbers :

- Seconds when you are launching skills and that you can't autoattacking have been neglect that make autoattacks DPS a bit lower in reality.

- Q stack ATK Speed boost have not been included in maths that make autoattacks DPS higher in reality.

- Every auto or spells that could be launched in time have been launched and hit the target, ennemy have always been in range for every spell and every autos. That give advantage for both configurations.

- The seconds taken on cooldowns after the end of timer have not been take in count (If in 120s you can make 8,3 E spell, you only make 8 in reality). That gives a great advantage to ATK speed config.

- Weapon passive have not been take in count that give a little advantage to CD reduction configuration.

- Mana burning have not been take in count that give great advantage to CD reduction configuration.

SO NOW ? CONCLUSION

I wasn't even sure that a 6% atk speed buff is better than a 2.54% CD reduction, but those simple and approximatives maths makes me right.

At least those numbers show the stupidity to think that autos is not a huge part of the swords total DPS.
      Actually makes sense that a melee build gains lots of DPS by hitting people in melee, who would have guessed it! oh and I think you forgot that with carving you lower people resistances based on stacks so that means potentially even more dps, who knew right?

So sorry for the sarcasm there, I don't think this comes much as a surprise for most experience players. However, the CD is better when playing in groups for the carving since, idk, it's E goal is not to inflict high damage but to reduce by a lot the other players resistances which allows for other players to kill them quicker.

You can do those maps for any of the "melee" dps and this will be true for the most part, they are not a "casting" class per say like "mages". It is to be expected that when dealing physical damage you kinda need to auto attack when spells are on cooldown. Those maths works with anything that you can't permanently spam a spell (like you can with frost,fire,healers,curse (tho curse can do auto-attacks for extra damage lmao) and maybe even arcane).

So your results should not come to surprise anyone that is player a melee build to be really honest.

Thanks for the math on comparing 6% vs 2.54% CD though.
    • TeckTeck wrote:

This is the caveat here that kind of kills the entire analysis. The balance between these passives is that you're not always going to be in range for autos, but you're always in range for CD reduction.
    • Deathskills wrote:

So sorry for the sarcasm there, I don't think this comes much as a surprise for most experience players. However, the CD is better when playing in groups for the carving since, idk, it's E goal is not to inflict high damage but to reduce by a lot the other players resistances which allows for other players to kill them quicker.
      So your results should not come to surprise anyone that is player a melee build to be really honest.
      Yes I never said that ATK Speed is always better than CDR, I just said that is a decent option and an useful buff for swords players, especially when doing 1vs1, 1vsX, or even small scale.

Looks like some people needed to understand that hit your enemy with a sword is a good idea :D

Calesvol wrote:

TeckTeck wrote:

This is the caveat here that kind of kills the entire analysis. The balance between these passives is that you're not always going to be in range for autos, but you're always in range for CD reduction.
      Yes that is really fucking up the maths but they were here just to make everyone see the numbers.

But If you think about it, autos cannot be always sent, but skills too, sometimes spells are ready but unused, some skills can also miss.

So it is balancing the numbers, remember that these numbers are literally the maximum amount of damage that you can deal.

I swear that with swords and especially with the ones with quick moving E (Broadsword, Claymore, Carving, Duals...) you can be at range most of times. Also, CDR is always used that is true but spells aren't always used so in reality you will never apply 100% of the spell DPS just like you will never apply 100% of your autos DPS.
    • TeckTeck wrote:

Also, CDR is always used that is true but spells aren't always used so in reality you will never apply 100% of the spell DPS just like you will never apply 100% of your autos DPS.
      Let me be very clear here TeckTeck, as obviously you have not left the yellow zone yet or have done an ounce of actual pvp. COOLDOWN REDUCTION IS OBJETCIBELY A BETTER STAT THAN ATTACKSPEED FOR SWORDS.YOUR MATH AND YOUR ENTIRE ANALYSIS IS WRONG.

SWORDS ARE A MELEE CASTER NOT AUTO ATTACKER.ATTACKSPEED SHOULD NEVER BE PRIORITIZED OVER COOLDOWN REDUCTION, NOR SHOULD COOLDOWN REDUCTION BE FAVORED OVER RAW DAMAGE. The only exception being open world solo roaming with cdr passives, but even still just take eel stew.

I bitch about swords being up, i make a dozen post giving simple analysis of skills and somehow i still get people who believe this is an auto attack based weapons ????????????? Maybe i what i should be doing is creating a comprehensive guide on Swords in 2021.Maybe that will get through retromans thick skull and others who long for the kirito play syle. Jesus christ.
    • i am sorry @moking but a melee weapon is a melee weapon that you need to do auto attacks or else if you don't deal any, you will lose more fights because of it.

This is valid for axes, swords, hammers, maces, daggers, spears (maybe except dual dagger and deathsgivers because invis+os lmao). so please prove wrong that the extra 50-100 dmg you can deal with auto attacks cannot make the difference in your fight.

It ain't just about spam casting their spell since you will have a cd moment where you can't cast anything because all is on cd and if you just stand around like an idiot not doing auto-attacks, just don't go on a bruiser/melee build, just get a caster so you don't have dead moments like those dude...

oh and cdr reduction only is valid if you are going for your E twice which means you need 2 rotations of spells at minimum. Let's be honest, not that often you use 2 rotations since your "raw damage" actually need to include auto attacks. Saying you don't use auto-attacks just proves that you are a bad melee dps.

Oh and please do make a guide on how to use a melee weapon, really curious if you'll get flame a lot for saying to not use auto-attacks and that they aren't important in a melee weapon lmao. Can't wait to see this shit.
    • Deathskills wrote:

melee weapon is a melee weapon that you need to do auto attacks
      No shit sherlock. This does no mean swords are a auto attack based weapon, nor does it mean attack speed should be prioritized over raw damage or cdr.

Swords are a melee weapon so inherently they will do melee auto attacks. This does not mean you base your build around auto attacks, nor do you base the buffing or nerfing of this wep behind that premise.

You both have to be the biggest noobs on the planet if you think sword auto attacks are a threat to any ranged dps or axe user for example. They aren't its the proper use of combos through abilities that apply pressure to your target the auto attack's are secondary to this. Don't believe me ? slap on a hunter jacket select the bleed passive , put attack speed on all of your gear passives ( run full leather) and try to auto attack someone down, watch what happens to you. lul.

Without adding auto attack modifiers , attack speed wont do shit for swords, especially if you lower the base damage of auto attacks, paired with standtime and natural player movement via sword animations.

You probably don't understand what I'm saying because you probably don't leave the yellow zone, and pve 24/7. I shall repeat for a second time.

SWORDS ARE NOT A AUTO ATTACK BASED WEAPON, IT IS A MELEE CASTER IN 2021 , THEY WERE DESEIGHNED TO BE A MELEE BRUISER BUT REROMAN GUTTED IT SO MANY TIMES YOU CANT PROPERLY BRUISE.

Swords need front loaded damage. Other wise the extra attack speed is useless. We see that already with the current state of swords.
      You dont see gala players trying to auto down targets after a clap do you ?

Deathskills wrote:

oh and cdr reduction only is valid if you are going for your E twice which means you need 2 rotations of spells at minimum. Let's be honest, not that often you use 2 rotations since your "raw damage"
      WTF lol. This is proof you have no idea what your talking about. Get the fuck out of the yellow zone dude.

Cdr and mobility are king in the open world. That is why cdr is so strong on swords. E twice ???? you do realize most open world swords are on a 20 sec cooldown on their e right?. This is a combo based weapon, you need damage - CDR - auto attack speed in that order. With auto attack speed being a secondary stat to cdr.

No sword players prioritizes attack speed over cdr or raw damage unless your a monkey. A troll, or generally shit at pvp.
    • You never said whether it was for solo dg, hg, corrupted or ow. don't blame me for being as vague. to kill 1 target on most sword if auto-attacking properly, you often do not need a second E to get the kill.

Might do my decent share of yz and blue since the faction update came out, but I can confidently say that I've done more than my fair share of bz and rz fights too. (you don't get 6-7k kills and close to 200m kill fame staying in blue and yellow).

Swords never really truly got gutted apart of the gala's being gutted by the AOE escalation which gutted every single clap weapons against groups.
      So please enlighten me how swords are dog shit when they dominated the game for years as being the one do everything for all type of content?

they actually feel "balance" right now on the exception of the Broadsword which still has a freaking bug with it's E landing damage even if physically the player cannot reach the target and be close enough to complete the animation of hitting the player. (aka should be subject to similar constraint as Claymore's E if player is behind an obstacle).
      But true, I don't know what I am talking about for sure.

you mostly sound like someone that is fully butthurt that you can't win everything by just gaming swords and people can actually counter you now since they aren't fully broken/op as they were once in the past.
    • Deathskills wrote:

You never said whether it was for solo dg, hg, corrupted or ow. don't blame me for being as vague
      I shouldn't have to, you clearly don't understand this weapons if you think there is a difference in stat priority based on different aspects of the game. Your just further proving to me you don't know what your talking about. Now your just making excuses.

And yes swords have been gutted in the past, this is not a controversial statement.

They lost percent base damage on the q

Claymore lost its root and stacking mechanic was added. Literally deleting this weapons from ganking.

They straight up deleted the life steel passive, hell at one point they removed the added heroic charge form iron will, nerfed the movement speed twice and then added even more CD to some abilities.

Clarent blade used to be meta in gvg, they straight up deleted it from the game because of arcane. Added stand time and nerfed the damage by over 30 percent. Worse weapon in the game.

They then continued to nerf movement speed for literally no reason, after they had already gutted hunter jacket back in beta 2.

This weapon was so underplayed at one point that it generated less fame than a fucking 1 handed arcane It was soo bad that retroman had to add parry strike into the game in an overloaded state in order to get people to play this wep line again.

You dont know what your talking about, just stfu. Literal attack speed clown. This has been a trend since brutus update.
    • moking wrote:

Deathskills wrote:

You never said whether it was for solo dg, hg, corrupted or ow. don't blame me for being as vague
      I shouldn't have to, you clearly don't understand this weapons if you think there is a difference in stat priority based on different aspects of the game. Your just further proving to me you don't know what your talking about. Now your just making excuses.
      And yes swords have been gutted in the past, this is not a controversial statement.

They lost percent base damage on the q

Claymore lost its root and stacking mechanic was added. Literally deleting this weapons from ganking.

They straight up deleted the life steel passive, hell at one point they removed the added heroic charge form iron will, nerfed the movement speed twice and then added even more CD to some abilities.

Clarent blade used to be meta in gvg, they straight up deleted it from the game because of arcane. Added stand time and nerfed the damage by over 30 percent. Worse weapon in the game.

They then continued to nerf movement speed for literally no reason, after they had already gutted hunter jacket back in beta 2.

This weapon was so underplayed at one point that it generated less fame than a fucking 1 handed arcane It was soo bad that retroman had to add parry strike into the game in an overloaded state in order to get people to play this wep line again.

You dont know what your talking about, just stfu. Literal attack speed clown. This has been a trend since brutus update.
      so you are just proving my point lmao, you are just mad because your weapon tree which has dominated the game for like 3 years+ has finally been a bit nerfed/balanced so other things comes out on top. welcome to balancing bro, it forces meta style changes and people to adapt.
      Keep crying that it ain't overpowered anymore lmao. The swords were too versatile before. now they are more in line with other weapons.
      Like I never said it was just attack speed that mattered, just saying that in short fights, it might have a bigger impact than cdr due to having a bigger impact (obviously requiring people to stand still).

Like swords are currently in the healthiest place they have been balance wise in forever lmao. They are not op, they are still decent for a lot of content (double gala still deletes people, clarent, dual sword and carving can still be used in zvz, carving is still being used in corrupted. Claymore can still be used in small scale and hg. So nah, feels pretty balanced, only weapon that currently feels like not a great place in the tree is the ava sword lmao.

so please keep telling us how your weapon tree isn't op anymore and youcan't do every type of content with it now.

oh and clarent blade is legit one of the best swords (out of all the swords) to clear dungeons quickly... so it has it's place in pve technically.

you can't have it all dude. people playing arcane got the bad end of the stick for years so let them have their moment of usefulness until they get nerf and put back in a better less op place.
    • Deathskills wrote:

oh and clarent blade is legit one of the best swords
      imagine being this delusional. Just imagine. I didn't prove your point stupid, otherwise you would have quoted it, u just lack reading comprehension skills.

And no, swords have never dominated the meta, the last time they have ever been oppressive was back in the day with claymore and old hunter jacket.

You just dont know what the fuck your talking about and are back peddling. You try to make your points only in hindsight. If you knew what your were talking about you would have clarified yourself properly the first time you spoke on the balance of this wep. But you dont. And its obvious.

Again your a noob, who does not understand the game , nor this wep. Yea tell me more about how great clarent blade is, in a fckign pvp game. Muh pve though .Literal clown.

Swords are in a underpowered state, they can still be played of course. But every sword player is playing from behind compared to every other bruiser wep. Because every other option do what you can do, but better, with no draw backs.A sword user makes 1 mistake and its gg. NO ROOM FOR ERROR.

Oh and lets talk about galas. Currently being replaced by bridled fury. The entire playstyle is glass cannon, you one shot or your useless, guess what cant one shot anymore??? didndidndin ding ! galas. No one plays them anymore. And even when they were played at the height of their power only 1 or 2 people would play them per zerg. You know why ???? because the cost of the set is soo high and you will die 90 percent of the time. That's not healthy to pigeon hole sword players into this playstyle when you can safely clap with other weps. Not to mention the combo takes skill in juggling many actives at once that stack.

Literally the most delusional person on this board.
    • Deathskills wrote:

You never said whether it was for solo dg, hg, corrupted or ow. don't blame me for being as vague. to kill 1 target on most sword if auto-attacking properly, you often do not need a second E to get the kill.

Might do my decent share of yz and blue since the faction update came out, but I can confidently say that I've done more than my fair share of bz and rz fights too. (you don't get 6-7k kills and close to 200m kill fame staying in blue and yellow).

Swords never really truly got gutted apart of the gala's being gutted by the AOE escalation which gutted every single clap weapons against groups.
      So please enlighten me how swords are dog shit when they dominated the game for years as being the one do everything for all type of content?

they actually feel "balance" right now on the exception of the Broadsword which still has a freaking bug with it's E landing damage even if physically the player cannot reach the target and be close enough to complete the animation of hitting the player. (aka should be subject to similar constraint as Claymore's E if player is behind an obstacle).
      But true, I don't know what I am talking about for sure.

you mostly sound like someone that is fully butthurt that you can't win everything by just gaming swords and people can actually counter you now since they aren't fully broken/op as they were once in the past.
      Are you really saying you think Swords are balanced? Nerf , after nerf they are one of the least used weapons in CD , do you go out in the world of albion and say well lets go pvp in the mists/open world and bring a SWORD out of the numerous better weapons out there?

I mean after speccing to 700/700 the only thing swords have in their favor is their W counter parry , and even then you have to play pretty well, iron will was nerfed to the ground , why?Gallas were fun nerfed, clarent nerfed ,double swords E is interruptible yakes , the only two that are worth mentioning are claymore and carving and even then you have better options in other weapons .

If swords didnt had their W they would be the worst weapon in game , heck even my overnerfed nature staf eats swords for breakfast and they got nerfed in 20% damage lul.

And you know what is worse?Some newbie coming here and reading your response and thinking "hey maybe i should go swords and kill everybody" , not knowing they are going into some newb trap when they could have gone daggers,ice,maces...

The post was edited 1 time, last by pesadelo ().

• Deathskills wrote:

so you are just proving my point lmao, you are just mad because your weapon tree which has dominated the game for like 3 years+ has finally been a bit nerfed/balanced so other things comes out on top. welcome to balancing bro, it forces meta style changes and people to adapt.Keep crying that it ain't overpowered anymore lmao. The swords were too versatile before. now they are more in line with other weapons.
      Like I never said it was just attack speed that mattered, just saying that in short fights, it might have a bigger impact than cdr due to having a bigger impact (obviously requiring people to stand still).

Like swords are currently in the healthiest place they have been balance wise in forever lmao. They are not op, they are still decent for a lot of content (double gala still deletes people, clarent, dual sword and carving can still be used in zvz, carving is still being used in corrupted. Claymore can still be used in small scale and hg. So nah, feels pretty balanced, only weapon that currently feels like not a great place in the tree is the ava sword lmao.

so please keep telling us how your weapon tree isn't op anymore and youcan't do every type of content with it now.

oh and clarent blade is legit one of the best swords (out of all the swords) to clear dungeons quickly... so it has it's place in pve technically.

you can't have it all dude. people playing arcane got the bad end of the stick for years so let them have their moment of usefulness until they get nerf and put back in a better less op place.
      1. Swords were never broken only "claymore" was "OP" because the prestacking capacity with a 15mt skill. So if u think swords are OP, re-play the game, PLEASE.
      1.1. Speed attack buff is bad for most of the wanteds swords do "buff". EX. Broad doesn't need speed attack, already had LOW BASICS DAMAGE.

2 Swords aren't in healtiest place, Bad Ws, Bad Qs n' Q's charges compared to any other MeleeDPS. Gala its trash at zvz; so i assume u don't play zvz since 5 months or so, Clarent and dual are fine in zvz but not nice, its just low consistent damage, "Carving can still be used in ZVZ" - Deathskills, ok xD. Carving isn't used in corrupteds, only in stalker. Claymore isn't a hg or small scale weapon but thats fine, the problem isn't claymore; claymore had a nice E.

3. Clarent is a good PVE weapon true. So what? Thats a contra agaisnt betters W's? Betters duration on charges like every other MDPS?

4. If u check my post of buffins swords i had a lot more of; 1. Nerfing Q dagger mobility, 2. Buff fire PLASE, 3. Some fixes to frost, or not used boots, etc.
      Its not for having a main swords, just try o use a sword and u will get it, then use a spear, a dagger, an axe. Even 1v1 or 2v2.
    • Increasing the autoattack speed while reducing the damage per swing is a NERF in PvP. Nobody is gonna just sit there and let you AA them all day. On paper it seems fine but in practice it just doesnt work out very well. On top of that, swords dont bring anything to the table in a team situation that is more useful or even as useful as axes heal reduction.
    • Happytr33z wrote:

Increasing the autoattack speed while reducing the damage per swing is a NERF in PvP. Nobody is gonna just sit there and let you AA them all day. On paper it seems fine but in practice it just doesnt work out very well. On top of that, swords dont bring anything to the table in a team situation that is more useful or even as useful as axes heal reduction.
      carving sword pierce is pretty good when coordinated with team bursts
    • Happytr33z wrote:

Increasing the autoattack speed while reducing the damage per swing is a NERF in PvP. Nobody is gonna just sit there and let you AA them all day. On paper it seems fine but in practice it just doesnt work out very well. On top of that, swords dont bring anything to the table in a team situation that is more useful or even as useful as axes heal reduction.

Yeah ofc dude, never talked about reducing damage/hit or what, an atk speed buff increase DPS because the basic damage doesn't change.

Yes in practice you will never be able to always do AA but swords AA are pretty fast with the stacks and the little mov speed up make you good at keep your opponent close to you.

I totally agree with your last point sadly... but they still could get use as good clappers, and the carving break resist is pretty awesome in team fights..