Bow Tree balance and Rework suggestions

• Combat Balance
    • Bow Tree balance and Rework suggestions

SUBJECT/HEADER: Bow tree in general is underpowered in terms of its recently nerfed toolkit

Disclaimer: I am referring to the "BOW" tree not the Regular Bow.

SHORT DESCRIPTION: - Outside the Bow tree E abilities, it is most-likely one of the weakest dps weapons in Albion Online

URGENCY: This really needs to be looked into as it currently puts bows at the bottom of the PvP chart in terms of midscale - largescale content

It's current state in 1v1 content is still in a good place considering Badon and Warbow to be both good at this content but that's only because of its Ultimate ability in synergy with other weapons and its playstyle

RATIONALE:

Q - Deadly Shot = currently, not really the best option as multishot has made its way to one of the most broken Qs in the game in terms of its knockback/crowd control

Suggested balance:

• Reduce cooldown from 3 > 2 seconds (less downtime, more pressure and impact)
      • Increase pierce value from 10 > 20 (provides greater value for ALL types of content)
      • Reduce range from 18m > 16m (puts the weapon's Q range, inline with other ranged weapon abilities for more balanced ranged engagements)

The post was edited 7 times, last by j0ei ().

• It seems like you just took the same spell twice for the replacements and then pretty much added well prepared from xbow.

What is the sacrifice for the desire to have more Q spell, W spell, AOE feasibility? Crossbow explosive bolt has a 13m range vs 18m bow. Frankly if you want the damage you have to reduce the range or increase the CD. I don’t find the argument of skill shot to hold any water since explosive bolt is already a skill shot.

No meme but really, why not just play xbow?
    • j0ei wrote:

Outside the Bow tree E abilities, it is most-likely one of the weakest dps weapons in Albion Online
      Imagine actually believing this. Bows don't need any buffs what so ever. Easy to play, they removed all skill from the wep. High damage, high uptime, high kiting ability, insane hit boxes. Literally a monkey could play this wep. I have seen people fresh off the boat kill high spec players using a bow. It requires very little spec to do tons of damage. I can go on and on.
    • moking wrote:

j0ei wrote:

Outside the Bow tree E abilities, it is most-likely one of the weakest dps weapons in Albion Online
      Imagine actually believing this. Bows don't need any buffs what so ever. Easy to play, they removed all skill from the wep. High damage, high uptime, high kiting ability, insane hit boxes. Literally a monkey could play this wep. I have seen people fresh off the boat kill high spec players using a bow. It requires very little spec to do tons of damage. I can go on and on.
      It appears you are mistaken about what is being talked about here, I am not talking about the "Regular bow" I am talking about the Bow tree in general. And each of these have their own counter plays

The post was edited 1 time, last by j0ei ().

• tabooshka wrote:

j0ei wrote:

If you believe you are so strong that you can literally kill high spec players
      thats what warbow is for
      Yes, what's why I'm arguing for the general toolkit of the bow tree because it is not very impactful in "Midscale to Largescale" content. When you have expended your E ability, you become a literal vegetable / liability for your party and you do not have any pressure-inducing abilities outside of your E cooldown. This rework / rebalance suggestion aims to resolve that problem so that you are not a useless potato when your E is down.
    • Nowhere in this thread have I said that Warbow / Badon are both weak in 1v1.

This thread is NOT created to get the weapon tree buffed for 1v1 purposes.

This thread is to argue for a re balance of this weapon tree to be able to compete with other ranged weapon dps' toolkits in ALL types of content

The post was edited 1 time, last by j0ei ().

• MEATCUP wrote:

Would you please go into more detail explaining your perspective that bow “becomes a vegetable” when E is not available, compared to other popular rdps classes?
      In the larger scale of things

Wailing bow for example - good synergy with explosive arrows + your E - if played right and shot with a good angle you will deal a decent amount of damage past the clump
      Circumstance: You have just spent your W + E synergy, you have only your Q available at your expense during your downtime and not even your Q is going to be of any help due to its current state.

Mistpiercers (very popular in ZvZ, claimed to be the "Top 3" main damage at ZvZ even though that's not really where it currently stands after its recent nerfs

• Brimstone [highest base damage that is unreflectable] is Top 1
      • Bridled Fury[ damage comparable with the brimstone, but this is the new galatines except much stronger due to 75% resillience penetration and can execute large clumps in seconds] is Top 2
      • Energy shaper takes top 3 [reflectable but uninterriptible and the damage is absolutely massive with the downside of not stacking the same as blazing staff] and so on.

Circumstance: Scholar Robe + your Lucent hawk combo deals a great deal of damage (also susceptible to demon armors and can easily get you killed unless you got an active enigmatic beamer) And your W being either Ray of Light or Frost shot (mostly frost shot is popular because you need a defensive/escape due to having scholar robe for your E synergy) and then you have your Q which is very underwhelming.

The pattern here is that you have nothing to contribute to your zerg outside of your main dps ability "E" whereas
      • the Frost tree has the frost nova for an interrupt enemy channel / cast that both not only provides you mobility but also a form of peel for your zerg if used correctly. Permafrost and Icicles are a very popular ZvZ choice (the icicle staff can stall flanks if played correctly, while the permafrost's ice crystal / big pine-apple ability, when casted over a camlann clump before it closes, has that damage and stun that prevents the enemies from using their knight helmets which is always amazing for an opener) Not to mention, the Ice shard Q is one of the strongest skill-shot spam abilities in the game, you definitely have very strong pressure with Ice shard if you have good prediction, the hoarfrost Q is on its way towards that if they are to push their buffs in reducing its cast time despite it already dealing a great amount of damage as a targetted AoE ability.
      • the Fire tree has the "Wall of flames" or firewall that is one of the best peel abilities for a dps weapon tree in the game (if you combine this with an offensive locus your enemy is hard stuck on a choke where they cannot push through because their knight helmets will be purged by the locus and your firewall blocking the path for a good amount of time) - 2 strong men being able to cuck a whole zerg is a huge feat. And your Firebolt - easily spammable, really great single target pressure while your AoE Burning field - does a great deal of Damage over time and wields great value when used on chokes.
      • the Curse tree - damnation staff is your tenderizer W alone is a great pierce, and E for the giant AoE shred that can make even the beefiest tanks, soft as a marshmallow. (huge impact in large scale fights btw) the Q vile curse, also now has AoE escalation therefore having much more pressure over-time when you stack it over clumps if it does not get cleansed
      • the Crossbow tree - for siegebow or shapers, you have your Autofire and Sundershot - where these two combined, have very strong single-target pressure that's very important for countering backline bruisers and not to mention - you can always switch your W for the noise eraser for that silence (a skilled noise-eraser shot can literally cuck another DPS' ultimate ability) The Explosive bolts also have a high base damage with literally 0 standtime, so you can poke with this a great deal without sacrificing or rooting you into position.
      Like really, why would you have a mistpiercer when you can have any of these other DPS classes? Which brings us back to my thread and why I am making these suggestions to further improve its impact to be able to better compete with its fellow ranged trees. The Lucent Hawk range is already nerfed, explosive arrows no longer work with your Lucent Hawk, and outside of your E you are but a vegetable. And also, a silence can cuck your entire burst rotation.

The post was edited 5 times, last by j0ei ().

• PaladinJavier wrote:

bow needs nerf at Kite abilities.
      Most are ok (mistpierce is top 3 Main damage at ZvZ , WTF You pretend it to be strong at PVP, lmao).
      Regular bow needs more cooldown time at E or nerd damage
      Now why would you suggest a nerf for a weapon that has literally nothing for its toolkit other than kiting? Frost Shot Multishot is literally its kiting toolkit, if you nerf this what do you make of bow tree?
    • Owlsane wrote:

I rather go on a complete redisign of the bow line in order to give this weapon a true unique playstyle rather than being a ditto frost / crossbow wannabe

Btw What if the gameplay concept of bows revolves around the choice of your special arrows?
      I read over it and It looks good, however this would indeed take a great deal of time with lots of testing involved in order to be considered a viable rework. But yeah, standtime is definitely a problem for Bow tree in general which could hinder the way this is ideally designed to work.