Aggro Mechanics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Aggro Mechanics

Me and two friends of mine just got into Albion Online, and we're in the stage where we're starting to go raiding the randomized dungeons. We're at that point where it's possible to take down the blue dungeons, but it takes a bit of time. Upon going through the dungeon, we made it to the final boss. This final boss provided some challenge, but it was possible for us. The only problem is, its aggro was all over the place. It would focus me (the mage dps) over our tank most of the time. Our tank has gear that gives additional threat generation, and as far as I'm aware the aggro should go to whomever generates the most threat. He should gain a fair amount of threat since he has higher tier gear than me (He has t4, I have t3), in addition to an ability that is supposed to give him the highest threat out of all of us.

The boss however, is unaffected by any of this. He will focus our tank until he has about 3/4 health left, then immediately makes a b-line to kill me. I'll use my knockback and speed buffs to evade him, but he tunnel visions me until I die, even if I stop attacking for this entire duration. With my friends still attacking the boss and using their spells, the boss doesn't change his aggro until I am fully dead.

My question is, how do you handle this? If spells and gear dedicated toward generating enough threat to obtain aggro are useless, that would make the tank class as a whole useless. As I doubt that is the case, why am I, as the dps, keeping aggro and how do we control this?
    • Odavera wrote:

Me and two friends of mine just got into Albion Online, and we're in the stage where we're starting to go raiding the randomized dungeons. We're at that point where it's possible to take down the blue dungeons, but it takes a bit of time. Upon going through the dungeon, we made it to the final boss. This final boss provided some challenge, but it was possible for us. The only problem is, its aggro was all over the place. It would focus me (the mage dps) over our tank most of the time. Our tank has gear that gives additional threat generation, and as far as I'm aware the aggro should go to whomever generates the most threat. He should gain a fair amount of threat since he has higher tier gear than me (He has t4, I have t3), in addition to an ability that is supposed to give him the highest threat out of all of us.

The boss however, is unaffected by any of this. He will focus our tank until he has about 3/4 health left, then immediately makes a b-line to kill me. I'll use my knockback and speed buffs to evade him, but he tunnel visions me until I die, even if I stop attacking for this entire duration. With my friends still attacking the boss and using their spells, the boss doesn't change his aggro until I am fully dead.

My question is, how do you handle this? If spells and gear dedicated toward generating enough threat to obtain aggro are useless, that would make the tank class as a whole useless. As I doubt that is the case, why am I, as the dps, keeping aggro and how do we control this?
      The problem with mob aggro on here is that ultimately it comes down to whoever damaged it recently. While yes Threat generation should make the boss focus the tank only however if you were the DPS for your team your constant damaging of the boss will make it focus you instead as it sees you as the bigger threat even if you do stop attacking it. Now an option for you since you said you stopped attacking it is to simply run out of its area fully while your teammates keep attacking it. This will then make the mob see whoever is dealing the second most damage as the threat which should be your teams tank.
    • RKOverdrive wrote:

Now an option for you since you said you stopped attacking it is to simply run out of its area fully while your teammates keep attacking it. This will then make the mob see whoever is dealing the second most damage as the threat which should be your teams tank.
      I'm pretty sure this will make your team hate you as this leashes the boss and makes them start all over.
    • Which items were being used on everybody involved, and what was the boss's name? I'm asking because those to things have a lot to say about that.

Furthermore, did you have large differences in IP, especially on the DPS's weapon, compared to the tank's weapon AND threat gen armor?

Also, there's a skill on plate armor called 'taunt', you might find that useful going forward.
    • Fred_the_Barbarian wrote:

RKOverdrive wrote:

Now an option for you since you said you stopped attacking it is to simply run out of its area fully while your teammates keep attacking it. This will then make the mob see whoever is dealing the second most damage as the threat which should be your teams tank.
      I'm pretty sure this will make your team hate you as this leashes the boss and makes them start all over.
      It doesnt. As long as his teammates keep attacking the boss it will stay aggro'ed and not try to reset.

Its called Juggling aggro which is what is seen in other games like WoW, RS, etc.
    • RKOverdrive wrote:

Fred_the_Barbarian wrote:

RKOverdrive wrote:

It doesnt. As long as his teammates keep attacking the boss it will stay aggro'ed and not try to reset.
      Its called Juggling aggro which is what is seen in other games like WoW, RS, etc.
      Yea, but that's most likely not what is going to happen, though. Most of the time the mob/boss stays aggroed (unless taunt or threat-gen skills are used) and will de-aggro upon the 'aggroee' leashing.
    • There are some things that can trigger that situation.

Some bosses have random target changes, like the purple chest boss from keepers.

Also, check if your tank has the passive that increase aggro from his plate chest (hope he is using a plate chest) and using skills that increase threat (basically tank weapons - mace/hammer)
    • gideonflynn wrote:

RKOverdrive wrote:

Fred_the_Barbarian wrote:

RKOverdrive wrote:

It doesnt. As long as his teammates keep attacking the boss it will stay aggro'ed and not try to reset.Its called Juggling aggro which is what is seen in other games like WoW, RS, etc.
      Yea, but that's most likely not what is going to happen, though. Most of the time the mob/boss stays aggroed (unless taunt or threat-gen skills are used) and will de-aggro upon the 'aggroee' leashing.
      ??? Which tanks tend to actually have in their kits -_- Also you seem to forget something else that will make the mob change its aggro target and that is the tank actually has a cc related weapon or a stun

twitch.tv/rkoverdrive