Duel exploit using different elevations

• Duel exploit using different elevations

Hi everyone,

We are aware of a duel exploit going around where players use two similar characters placed at different elevations in certain locations, such as the Conquerors’ Hall or near the Realmgate, to obtain silver from their opponents. The first character is placed on the ground level and used as a distraction by asking people to duel him. The second character is placed on an upper level at maximum distance for the duel and sends out the duel invite for a silver wager instead. If players accept the duel invite and move around during the duel countdown, they will instantly lose the duel and silver.

We consider abusing this to be an exploit under clause 15.5.4 of our Terms and Conditions and those who do so will be sanctioned accordingly. If you see anyone abusing this, please file a report by writing to support@albiononline.com and provide any evidence you might have, such as approximate server time, names of characters involved, the silver amount lost and ideally footage of the incident.

Our developers are currently working on a fix for this issue and it will be resolved in an upcoming patch.

- Mytherceria & Dev Team

Mytherceria#3744
    • The best solution to this and other dishonest tactics is to introduce a change in which to get silver from the duel you have to knock down the player. If the player leaves the duel zone and the time runs out, no one will receive silver. An experienced player will finish the player before he escapes.
    • 15.5.4 Compelling reasons include for example (without limitation):
      • If the User is engaged in cheating, use of bots, financial fraud or severe abuse of bugs. The User is hereby advised that Sandbox Interactive will, without prior warning, immediately suspend all access of the User to the Game in these circumstances to protect the integrity and reputation of the Game.
      • If the User is culpably in violation of applicable law or of these Terms and Conditions, the Game Rules and/or use rules for Virtual Benefits;
      • If the User is in arrears with the payment of fees due;
      • If the User issues a payment dispute or charge-back;
      • If third parties (e.g. social network operators), through whose registration function the User gains access to his Account at Sandbox Interactive, requests Sandbox Interactive to delete the user data and/or to undertake any comparable actions or limits Sandbox Interactive' access to data.
      Soo elevations are considered severe bugs now? So using terrain to get better view when pvping counts as bug abuse too, if not then claiming elevation duel scams are illegal under 15.5.4 is simply invalid. That's not what this point says...

I'm probably gonna get downvoted, but oh well, making this post by SBI is literally taking even more sand out of the sandbox, it was advertised as hardcore pvp game, scams are part of player vs player approach, outwitting your opponent to get his stuff. I can imagine outcry that would happen if CCP proclaimed game mechanic that can be used to scam as illegal in eve.

It's a shame Albion no longer is what it used to be
    • Arcus wrote:

15.5.4 Compelling reasons include for example (without limitation):
      • If the User is engaged in cheating, use of bots, financial fraud or severe abuse of bugs. The User is hereby advised that Sandbox Interactive will, without prior warning, immediately suspend all access of the User to the Game in these circumstances to protect the integrity and reputation of the Game.
      • If the User is culpably in violation of applicable law or of these Terms and Conditions, the Game Rules and/or use rules for Virtual Benefits;
      • If the User is in arrears with the payment of fees due;
      • If the User issues a payment dispute or charge-back;
      • If third parties (e.g. social network operators), through whose registration function the User gains access to his Account at Sandbox Interactive, requests Sandbox Interactive to delete the user data and/or to undertake any comparable actions or limits Sandbox Interactive' access to data.
      Soo elevations are considered severe bugs now? So using terrain to get better view when pvping counts as bug abuse too, if not then claiming elevation duel scams are illegal under 15.5.4 is simply invalid. That's not what this point says...

I'm probably gonna get downvoted, but oh well, making this post by SBI is literally taking even more sand out of the sandbox, it was advertised as hardcore pvp game, scams are part of player vs player approach, outwitting your opponent to get his stuff. I can imagine outcry that would happen if CCP proclaimed game mechanic that can be used to scam as illegal in eve.

It's a shame Albion no longer is what it used to be
      Found the duel scammer lol.

In all seriousness, if you're defending this practice, you either:

A. Do it yourself, or
      B. Literally don't care for the health of the game.

Either way, your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad :)

Albion is rough and toxic enough to new players being full-loot pvp based. No sense adding being a garbage scammer into the mix on top of that.
    • Azlen wrote:

Found the duel scammer lol.
      In all seriousness, if you're defending this practice, you either:

A. Do it yourself, or
      B. Literally don't care for the health of the game.

Either way, your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad :)

Albion is rough and toxic enough to new players being full-loot pvp based. No sense adding being a garbage scammer into the mix on top of that.
      Tbh, duel scammazs were there since ages ago.

SBI should make the stance quickly on these things and put it on forum / mail that it is prohibited. Otherwise, how can you know what is and is not an exploit ?

For example, duel scams are considered fine, so why is this suddenly a problem ? Now i wonder if people get banned after this post, or even if they did it before this post.

Hell, i wouldn´t even click duel for 1 silver, since who knows how i could be scammed with that :D

There are many mechanics that seems like exploits, but aren´t considered exploits ? So how the hell are you supposed to know that. Many " unintended mechanics " so what is an exploit or not ? What are we allowed to do or not ?

Like there is one insane exploit that was there for more than half a year, but only recently it got some fraction related to it and thus it´s being fixed, but what about people that used it ? That´s fine ? Why not just label it as bug / exploit or fix it ?

And i know one funny unintended game breaking mechanic, but how can i know if it´s allowed to use or not ? I don´t, and hell, i ain´t risking it - it kinda sucks tho.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • I strongly disagree with this being named an "exploit". Nearly all other forms of scams are allowed in this game and the only real reason to consider this one any different is how the elevation interacts with showing the Duel boundaries as floating rather than moving down the terrain but even in the video shown above you can see it if you look carefully.

People with the letters i or L in their name can use capitals to make alt accounts that look nearly perfectly Identical
      example: SIishy Slishy
      This kind of scam has been happening in banks for ages and ages now.

I'm curious why this is specifically being named an exploit though?
      And no I am not a person who does this for silver lol, but I have dueled friends up here before their crystals to mess with them, What protects people like myself from getting banned? (Unless the proof they require is full video of said person offering a duel for silver).
    • I do not understand how this is an exploit either.

If I can gain your confidence and steal LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU OWN, and that is ok.

How can deceiving you in a duel be an exploit?

I think you need to provide some information on at what point this "duel exploit" becomes an exploit.....
      1.Is it because they used two characters to trick people?
      2.Is it because they are standing at the edge of the duel zone and when the countdown starts and a person moves out of range the person initiating the duel automatically wins... before the match even starts?

If it is #2. that would be your fault for not coding the duels better.... and also completely fixable by you.

in either case a button to allow us to auto-deny silver duels would be an easy enough fix... ( of course it took sbi like 3 years to make a use all button... so maybe I'm thinking more highly of your skills then I should).

I agree with others posts quit removing sand from the damned sandbox game, all we will have left is a box. and this box is beginning to be stale and no fun at all with you constantly trying to solve everybodies little bitchy complaints about other players.

I guess what i'm saying is take responsibility for your own culpability and fix it, and quit relying on ambiguously written rules and the player base to cover your lack of foresight and coding.

in effect it is your job to fix this, not ours. Get to work.
    • addidas wrote:

Confusing names extends to players mimicking alliances and guilds to gank or confuse during ZVZ, why is this allowed?
      Why confusing name would not be allowed, in term of rolepay ?
      In the state of the art of the game, if your are confusing name, guild or alliance which are red, your are handholding with them.
      Otherwise you wouldn't be able to confuse between green, violet or red.
      Maybe you don't know those people enough to be able to differentiate them, since you didn't declare your alliance in game for real ?

Moreover, in term of roleplay again, fantasy's stories and movies are full of people disguising themselves.
      Maybe, one day, it could even be a feature of the game, with let say a cape which can let change your appearance into another player, and even appear green or violet to your enemies, and another one able to view through disguises (a head set with binoculars or a stuff like that)
    • I have a feeling most of those who posted to this thread somehow have trouble reading with comprehension.

The scam mechanic described above involves two characters with very similar names positioned in such a way as to deliberately create a false assumption. The duel recipient is made to think he duels the first character, who is at the same elevation, while in reality, he receives an invite from the second one, who is not where the duel recipient believes he is. Due to the duel mechanics, the duel recipient is bound to lose his wager the moment he moves from the spot.

This indeed constitutes severe abuse of... I wouldn't even say a bug, rather a poorly designed game function that is vulnerable to such exploits. What matters the most is the whole scheme is deliberately used with malicious intent, aimed at obtaining silver from an unsuspecting player without actually duelling him and giving him a fair chance at winning or losing. It's a setup thing, the duel recipient is bound to lose. Therefore it's a scam and it deserves a banhammer fair and square.

It's just fair that SBI decided to act against such underhanded schemes, and somewhat unfortunate it took them so long to finally decide on that course of action. As @Xtrion said above, better late than never.
    • I saw something like this happen. Two guys with almost same names asking me to duel. I said a little prayer to the God of Reporting and one of them went *puff* like smoke in the air... The other one stood there stupidified. I tried clensing him several times... after a while he went out in a puff of smoke as well..

The God of Reporting is stronk! :saint: :whistling:
      IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Join Albion | RP Master Thread?