Thetford needs some love/revamp!

• Faction Warfare
    • Thetford needs some love/revamp!

The update hasn't dropped yet but we all bet that TF is gonna be almost permanently on the losing side, and that's because currently it has both the lowest overall number of players as well as the lowest number of faction flagged players.

The reasons is simple: Thetford kinda sucks.
      I know it's a personal opinion, and for sure some (very few) ppl actually love its esthetics, but it doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of players just dislike it.

Thetford is supposed to be the most magical city, given that it's the home of the Archmage guy (and btw Archmage is also the highest rank in the new Thetford system, which makes little sense if your pg isn't a caster but nevermind) yet it's nothing but ruins that stand no comparison with the powerful looks of FS or Lym for example.

Moreover, the swamps kinda suck too. Again, I'm sure some ppl prefer it over the blinding snow of FS, but it's a fact that it's way harder to navigate compared to the desert or highlands biome, and mobs are harder to spot cause they blend with the colors of the environment. This does makes a difference when you're trying to run away from ppl.

Thetford needs an overall revamp, that's it. Make it look more appealing, cause atm it just does not LOOK like it could possibly ever win against the other cities, and that's EXACTLY what has been happening since faction warfare was a thing and it's bound to keep happening.

Favoring the losing side with an extra 50% on faction points will hardly attract more players and if it does, it will be just temporary, cause Thetford is simply put WAY less appealing esthetically than every single other city, and that makes a huge difference whether you admit it or not.

Even purple/violet is actually one of the least liked colors according to scientific studies available online! Blue green and white happens to be way more popular.
      You may think this shouldn't matter in a sandbox mmo but truth is our brain conditions our choices based on innate preferences.

I'm not saying that everything about TF needs to change, but it's pretty obvious that something has to.

FYI: I currently play for TF and most likely will keep playing for TF, but that's purely because I like the mount and the cape is possibly the best I pve. So I have no bias against TF at all.

The post was edited 2 times, last by teopower89 ().

• teopower89 wrote:

Moreover, the swamps kinda suck too. Again, I'm sure some ppl prefer it over the blinding snow of FS, but it's a fact that it's way harder to navigate compared to the desert or highlands biome, and mobs are harder to spot cause they blend with the colors of the environment. This does makes a difference when you're trying to run away from ppl.
      Certainly agree with this part. Always dread going through the swamps.
    • Loucipher wrote:

teopower89 wrote:

Moreover, the swamps kinda suck too.
      Well... that's just swamps for you, mate :D Walking the swamps can suck you in... over your head sometimes :) Oh well, you can always move to FS and Stay Frosty :)
      It is but it isn't. Again, numbers don't lie and it's a fact that most players prefer to play in different biomes. If your experience is different there's nothing wrong with it, but it's statistically not as relevant. I mentioned several issues with TF, none of which is a problem per se, but when you add all of them you get why TF has been the weakest faction since Faction warfare.
      I'm not stating a personal opinion, I'm just describing the reality of the game as it is.
    • teopower89 wrote:

Loucipher wrote:

teopower89 wrote:

Moreover, the swamps kinda suck too.
      Well... that's just swamps for you, mate :D Walking the swamps can suck you in... over your head sometimes :) Oh well, you can always move to FS and Stay Frosty :)
      It is but it isn't. Again, numbers don't lie and it's a fact that most players prefer to play in different biomes. If your experience is different there's nothing wrong with it, but it's statistically not as relevant. I mentioned several issues with TF, none of which is a problem per se, but when you add all of them you get why TF has been the weakest faction since Faction warfare.I'm not stating a personal opinion, I'm just describing the reality of the game as it is.
      My previous comment was a tongue-in-cheek remark on swampy terrain generally :) I have nothing against swamps myself. Personally, I feel good in the swamp biome, and I found myself spending most of my playing time in swamp clusters... they offer a nice selection of resources to gather, plus they are by far the most suitable area to dip the fishing rod :) The Thetford cape is also quite effective. For this reason, simply put, I don't quite know why Thetford doesn't get the love it deserves. Still, your opinion on Thetford faction numbers being small may be well grounded... or a long way off. I think we'll see where the truth lies soon enough... frontlines don't lie after all :)