2,046 accounts banned for third-party currency transactions

• Kriansas wrote:

Juzten wrote:

zzzzzz1998 wrote:

my friend just join the game and spent over 2000dollars but yet still got banned today. is it possible that maybe he got a wrong banned?
      your friend needs a hobby 2k on a game he just started is just stupidity at it's finest
      depends how much money u have lol,if dude is rich why not,hes supporting the game
      Yes I said I don't judge, but I'm still laughing.
      [i][u][b]"Best not type too much I may get in trouble"[/b][/u][/i]
    • Mytherceria wrote:

Wydoyolo wrote:

@Mytherceria

I have a question. If someone wants to donate me 10mil silver, should I refuse that trade because I can get banned if he RMTed that silver?
      Hey,

Please send an email over to support@albiononline.com about such a transaction.

- Mytherceria

Then each time I get some silver from people I would have to keep it, then send email and verify it's legit so I can spend it?
      Damn. I need to hire an accountant then.
      discord.com/invite/syKykHg --- AOLoot Logger | Discord BOTs: RegearBOT, AOServerStatus, Doorkeeper, Killbot, Battlebot
    • Why not, I'm running island which people use and they can donate me items or silver or nothing. From that silver I'm upgrading the stations used by them and I'm doing giveaways for people from that silver.
      I also make stuff for albion available for everyone like list.aotools.net , zvz.aotools.net and people ask me if they can support me in some way.

The only way to donate real currency is by donating to the charity of their choice, but you can't donate silver to charity, so that goes for giveaways.

I guess I will just block access to every chest I made public so I don't get banned for RMT.
      discord.com/invite/syKykHg --- AOLoot Logger | Discord BOTs: RegearBOT, AOServerStatus, Doorkeeper, Killbot, Battlebot
    • Bieve wrote:

@Wydoyolo If you're doing things that could be flagged a sketchy because it's similar to other sketchy behavior, reach out to the support staff beforehand. If what you're doing is ok, it would be better that you confirm it and that support is aware of your case, wouldn't it?
      I keep in touch with the support regarding all my tools, to make sure nothing is against Albion's ToS. Even reminding them every 6months that I keep working on these in case some rules has changed.

However, I work, I play albion and do this stuff in my free time, for free. I kinda don't have time to email them about every single donation I receive. It's easier for me to get rid of these since I don't make any silver/irl money out of it anyway.

Gambling in game is illegal, pyramid schemes in game are legal, donations may end up with ban for RMT. Lol.
    • New

Zoream wrote:

Kriansas wrote:

Juzten wrote:

zzzzzz1998 wrote:

my friend just join the game and spent over 2000dollars but yet still got banned today. is it possible that maybe he got a wrong banned?
      your friend needs a hobby 2k on a game he just started is just stupidity at it's finest
      depends how much money u have lol,if dude is rich why not,hes supporting the game
      Yes I said I don't judge, but I'm still laugh
      though i think he might really bought from 3rd party, but he actually spent that amount of money cuz he has the bill screenshot, sad
    • New

Malkalma wrote:

AverageJake wrote:

There are actual systems in place to buy gold and sell it for silver through the game...some people man. :?:
      Yeah, but I guess you can buy more silvers for the same $$$$ or there would not be a business like this...
      The only "system" around buying these fraudulent funds is scamming, don't you folks think otherwise for a minute.
      The way I see it, the RMTers either buy gold via AO shop using stolen/forged cards (not yet reported stolen or banned by card operators), or they use legitimate cards and then issue chargebacks via their bank.
      In the first case, they simply cheat the gold out of SBI's pocket with forged money SBI is then forced to lose (when the card gets banned/rejected and any transactions made with it are voided).
      In the second case, they pretend to strike the deal with SBI and then act as if SBI didn't deliver what they paid for when in reality they themselves renege on the deal.
      Both situations amount to a loss for SBI, therefore I can wholly understand and support the official SBI's standing on this. Would any of you tolerate being cheated out of your honest pay for honest work? I don't think so.
      That being said, it's really easy for anyone adept at computers to add two plus two and see which transactions were linked to stolen or charged back payments... and then ban only those accounts that were involved. I don't believe any legitimate user who paid for gold with real money and never charged back any payments has anything to worry about.

So what happen if someone buy silver from third party, use the silver to buy item (e.g: 8.3 sets) and give the items to their main account to play ?

Streamers receive donation this way all the time, 8.3 gears from complete stranger for nothing. How to know which are real donations and which are silver laundering ?
      Solo/duo player.
      Play mostly tank
      Max spec 700/700 in staff, hammer, mace, and spear tree.
      Max spec 800/800 in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions crafters.
    • New

SpicyPepper wrote:

So what happen if someone buy silver from third party, use the silver to buy item (e.g: 8.3 sets) and give the items to their main account to play ?

Streamers receive donation this way all the time, 8.3 gears from complete stranger for nothing. How to know which are real donations and which are silver laundering ?
      You kind of pointed out one way already, "give it to their main account". That's altogether different than getting a donation from someone else. Logs, past behaviors on accounts, playtime, there's a lot that goes into determining if an account is real or no and whether an action was innocent; and this isn't specific to Albion. I'm not saying mistakes aren't made either. But it's a far more complex topic with far more complex solutions than, "what if someone random gifts me a thing?". Realistically, if you're not doing anything wrong, you're probably fine. And if, for some reason, you're not, reach out to support.
    • New

Bieve wrote:

You kind of pointed out one way already, "give it to their main account". That's altogether different than getting a donation from someone else. Logs, past behaviors on accounts, playtime, there's a lot that goes into determining if an account is real or no and whether an action was innocent; and this isn't specific to Albion. I'm not saying mistakes aren't made either. But it's a far more complex topic with far more complex solutions than, "what if someone random gifts me a thing?". Realistically, if you're not doing anything wrong, you're probably fine. And if, for some reason, you're not, reach out to support.
      It's just for the sake of argument. I play with just myself and another guy with no guild so I don't receive anything from anyone else.

"Realistically, if you're not doing anything wrong, you're probably fine" -> yes, but I was talking about people that DO wrong thing, but are still fine. There's just no difference from a player receive item donations from stranger, and someone use alt account to buy silver, then buy item and transfer to main account to play as "donation".
      Solo/duo player.
      Play mostly tank
      Max spec 700/700 in staff, hammer, mace, and spear tree.
      Max spec 800/800 in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions crafters.
    • New

SpicyPepper wrote:

So what happen if someone buy silver from third party (...)
      This.
      A banhammer strikes such a person, fair and square. Trading gold or silver with any third party is against the Terms and Conditions, and hence may get you in trouble.

SpicyPepper wrote:

Well, for starters, it seems that being a streamer can pay an awful lot :D
      Jokes aside: assuming that the streamer himself wasn't involved in buying gold/silver from illegal sources, I can only imagine he'd be left in peace, and the worst-case scenario (which would not really impact him that much) would be losing the item in question (SBI would trash it in order to keep ill-gotten goods out of the game).
      SBI states in their Terms and Condition that any users suspected of illegal transactions are entitled to provide evidence that they had nothing to do with RMTing in the first place. If SBI banned any and all users who were unexpectedly given something expensive for nothing, it would open a Pandora's Box - some users might just "implicate" someone they didn't like and get him/her banned this way. The way I see it, it's the transaction logs that matter, and they certainly aren't exactly hard to track :)
      For anyone still in doubt: read the first post again, @Mytherceria has really laid this out crystal clear. They found over 2 thousand accounts that bought gold using fraudulent methods (usually charged-back payments) and they banned them. End of story. Good riddance to them pesky buggers, good job SBI, keep that up :)

Now that I have summoned our venerable Community Manager to this thread, I have a few questions myself:
      Being a frequent visitor to the Marketplace, I notice a growing trend of transactions where in-game items are traded for insane amounts of silver (say, a potion worth 1k is suddenly traded for 1,5m or some such exorbitant amount). For me, this clearly hints at RMT involvement, as no sane user would pay that much for a potion such easily crafted.
      1. Does SBI monitor these transactions actively, or do we need to bring them to the attention of the staff?
      2. If these need to be reported, what is the most efficient way? Does a mail to support suffice, or is there another way?
      Thank you in advance for your answers.

SpicyPepper wrote:

It's just for the sake of argument. I play with just myself and another guy with no guild so I don't receive anything from anyone else.
      "Realistically, if you're not doing anything wrong, you're probably fine" -> yes, but I was talking about people that DO wrong thing, but are still fine. There's just no difference from a player receive item donations from stranger, and someone use alt account to buy silver, then buy item and transfer to main account to play as "donation".
      Fair, there is a difference though. In fraud detection in general you log everything and process those logs to flag odd behaviors or behaviors that you're specifically looking for. I don't know what SBI uses and that information won't ever be public anyway or the whole system fails, but considering they are banning accounts, and such a high volume of them, it's reasonable to assume they have systems -like- this in place. I would compare IPs, how much an account is just 'trading' vs other game activities, how long the account's been active, do they donate to other people, how often do they donate, etc etc.

What I'm really saying is, given a sufficiently well done system, it is absolutely possible to catch most people. And the ones that haven't been? They're eluding the current system parameters, and may continue to do so if they're good enough; which sucks. But hey, catching and banning most people is better than none and we can hope the system improves. ^^
    • New

Loucipher wrote:

For anyone still in doubt: read the first post again, @Mytherceria has really laid this out crystal clear. They found over 2 thousand accounts that bought gold using fraudulent methods (usually charged-back payments) and they banned them. End of story. Good riddance to them pesky buggers, good job SBI, keep that up :)

Now that I have summoned our venerable Community Manager to this thread, I have a few questions myself:
      Being a frequent visitor to the Marketplace, I notice a growing trend of transactions where in-game items are traded for insane amounts of silver (say, a potion worth 1k is suddenly traded for 1,5m or some such exorbitant amount). For me, this clearly hints at RMT involvement, as no sane user would pay that much for a potion such easily crafted.
      1. Does SBI monitor these transactions actively, or do we need to bring them to the attention of the staff?
      2. If these need to be reported, what is the most efficient way? Does a mail to support suffice, or is there another way?
      Thank you in advance for your answers.

I have been summoned...

To answer your question, yes we do monitor transactions. Sometimes, it's a case of people accidentally buying an overpriced item though :/

Nonetheless, if you ever come across a suspicious transaction, please send in a screenshot of what was bought, when and which marketplace this was in to support@albiononline.com. They will check all reports.

Hope that helps!

- Great Old One

Mytherceria#3744