An Alternative for Balancing Castles/Outposts in Favor of Competition

• An Alternative for Balancing Castles/Outposts in Favor of Competition

The latest announcement regarding season 11 included changes to castle and outpost scoring with every outpost on the map scoring at the same time, same thing with castles but half as often. The stated goal for this change being to make these objectives less susceptible to monopolization, since currently a large zerg can roam around a time-zone and capture many objectives without seeing a fight, or wiping one or two smaller zergs who try and score a single objective.

The proposed change will not stop these zergs from dominating the same sized area since they can continue to pre-capture the same outposts, rolling over the same smaller zergs. The difference being is that the outposts and castles they capture will instead be a smaller portion of the available objects, and the smaller zergs will over time find the objectives that are not being challenged by large zergs.

To truly incentivize competition around these objectives you need to take away the ability to score an objective by capturing it before the timer.

If every castle/outpost would reset ownership at its primetime and the points went to the first zerg who successfully take control, then there would be no way to score the points while having your fighting force in a different zone. Large zergs would need to split up into smaller groups in order to try and score multiple objectives. Not only would large zergs not be viable, but a group would need to be present at the outpost to kill the lord, meaning that if a another zerg challenges them they must stay and fight to protect the players who are killing the boss.

I believe that implementing this change would not only give smaller guilds/alliances more opportunities to score castles/outposts (which the change proposed by SBI would do) but it would also incentivize more fighting around these objectives, which I think that the proposed change from SBI does not do, as more objectives at each timer with the current scoring mechanic would mean zergs are more likely to leave a zone to find an unoccupied outpost when confronted by an enemy zerg rather than staying and fighting.

I'm interested in hearing your feedback, and I am prepared to get wiped by a hand-holding forum CTA.
    • I don't like the idea

Basic concept should be: Zerg and numbers should control bz and win by outnumbering

But

Roads should be further redesigned to cater small guilds. The portals should be max 2, total, some solo, respawn much lower, individual cool down for portals like 5-10 mins for same portal. Much more solo & small scale objectives.. e.g. each group dungeon is mostly empty, while SRD even gankable is always busy..
    • I think this sounds dumb, it will be a fight but it wont be castles if 1 team isnt holding a castle, 1 team hits doors another blob enters zone they start fighting, like only way someone is inside the castle is by being inside the doors before another zerg is in zone, and unless you could "rebuild door" there isnt much reason to be inside it.

I would suggest that somehow a castle cannot score unless something is channeled, the channel mechanic is useful because you would not retain points but lose the fight, you have to be able to hold it against the force, and while under seige it cannot score, so if they kill you they then start trying to score.

The post was edited 1 time, last by blappo ().

• I like the idea, I just think large entities will just have another thing to CTA for spreading 1000 members across 50 zones will still see them having 20 man groups at each castle. Any castle/outpost contested they can delay until the other teams finish and reinforce them.

If you want to truly make Castles and Outposts Competitive Make it so they generate seasonal points while claimed but force the owners to defend them in trial by combat. An Outpost would be a 2v2 match and a Castle a 5v5 match, held inside their walls and restricted to the participants. Any (non-allied) team can head to an Outpost/Castle and declare a "trial by combat" for ownership. If the challenge is not met within a 10 minute window the challengers claim victory. Teams defending and attacking are immune to damage during the waiting stages similar to when they are queued for arena so that they can not be taken out by hostile zergs on either side.
    • blappo wrote:

I think this sounds dumb, it will be a fight but it wont be castles if 1 team isnt holding a castle, 1 team hits doors another blob enters zone they start fighting, like only way someone is inside the castle is by being inside the doors before another zerg is in zone, and unless you could "rebuild door" there isnt much reason to be inside it.

I would suggest that somehow a castle cannot score unless something is channeled, the channel mechanic is useful because you would not retain points but lose the fight, you have to be able to hold it against the force, and while under seige it cannot score, so if they kill you they then start trying to score.
      I like the channeling idea, since it would require having people at each objective that you want to score, which prevents the "afk scoring" we have now. It also still gives meaning to owning the objective before it's primetime.
    • I like this idea. My 2 silver to add would be to also increase the difficulty of the Lord and Elite troops that spawn so that it's not such a cake walk to claim. I can kill a world boss with 5 people, and a Lord usually gets taken down by 20+. Needs to be balanced a bit more. Increase the NPC difficulty means that you can't just send a token force to claim multiple objectives either.