SBI, can we please talk about your unoffical API.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The thing that disappoints me the most. is the lack of respect for the community by not at least communicating whats going on.

If they dont want us using the API, then lock it down so that we can't use it.

Otherwise as they know, we do use it and therefore the lack of communications says to me, "we dont care how many hours you spend building tools and enhancing the community experience around Albion Online, you'll get what we throw your way when we feel like it."

It's just a plain lack of respect for the Albion Online developer community.
      ItsNewbie
      ----------------------
      https://www.aoherald.com/
    • Yo..

It's amazing that there still is no proper API for Albion Online and that it keeps being limited or breaks..

A sandbox game in this fashion needs a functioning API that the players can use to create many different tools for a more healthier community. (Killboards, Calculators, Guild tracking, Spy checkers etc etc)
      Biggest thing is the battleboards.. Most of the devs come from CCP am I not wrong? How can you not see and understand the importance of a well detailed battleboard in a game like this?

You want to grow further? Get this shit going..
      Or at least start communicating with these awesome fellas trying to create this API themselves.

SBI ples..
    • BabyPicklesTV wrote:

Yo..

It's amazing that there still is no proper API for Albion Online and that it keeps being limited or breaks..

A sandbox game in this fashion needs a functioning API that the players can use to create many different tools for a more healthier community. (Killboards, Calculators, Guild tracking, Spy checkers etc etc)
      Biggest thing is the battleboards.. Most of the devs come from CCP am I not wrong? How can you not see and understand the importance of a well detailed battleboard in a game like this?

You want to grow further? Get this shit going..
      Or at least start communicating with these awesome fellas trying to create this API themselves.

SBI ples..
      *bites*

And yeah all decent MMOs have APIs, Albion is a hugely populated game where the scale and organization of countless guilds and alliances is relying on API data to properly manage and have info from their guilds. This gigantic issues with the current api stalls are just nonsense
    • Removed because mods think anything I say breaks the rules so I'm just gonna delete ALL my posts and not bother communicating here anymore.
      I make Albion tutorial videos and have the 2nd result for SEO currently. 13,000 subscribers and counting.
      https://www.youtube.com/swolebenji

The post was edited 1 time, last by SwoleBenji ().

• SwoleBenji wrote:

API's let people skip exploring roads to find exactly which zone and which portal to take to get X resource or Y dungeon.
      [...]
      Some idiot can stand around Bridgewatch advertising a 1.3m 8.2 demon helmet and within seconds I can use a third party whatever to call him out on his bullshit and tell him it's 900k in Fort Sterling.

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. API doesn't provide such information.
      API is publicly available, is used on albiononline.com website. So everyone can access data API provides, either through official website, formatted with HTML tables or JSON format.

API has nothing to do with economy, there are no prices given whatsoever.

So... you should also remove your youtube videos. You are showing how to get fame quickly but someone who don't know your channel can't do that.

----

We probably could even live with this API which is available atm. But make it work so it doesn't throw errors on 70% of requests or timeouts after 120s of loading.
      Make HCE lvl 15+ BZ only
    • SwoleBenji wrote:

I vote against API's. Make people do the math manually. It's REALLLY UNFAIR that someone with a private API or knows of a website that will literally tell them "Buy X item, take it to the black market, instant profit" or other such similar things "!!ALERT!! buy t5 wood and refine it for free $$$" gives people that use third party software and websites a massive advantage over those that don't. It also forces the player base to rely and use said tools to be equal with those. Of course private API's are what truly separate the casuals from the upper elite class. Take Path of Exile for example. If you don't use private API's you will never truly be wealthy in that game.

API's let people skip exploring roads to find exactly which zone and which portal to take to get X resource or Y dungeon.
      API's let people skip jotting down numbers and doing math to figure out profit margins, instantaneously and without travel.
      API's let people do things that use API's and websites that people without cannot.
      API's ruin gaming.

Some idiot can stand around Bridgewatch advertising a 1.3m 8.2 demon helmet and within seconds I can use a third party whatever to call him out on his bullshit and tell him it's 900k in Fort Sterling.
      With just a few clicks I can tell you which gathering profession is the current best in the game, which resources to refine, which crops to raise, etc.

Let people willing to scratch out hours of math get ahead economically. Not some low IQ brainlett subhuman using a website that does the work for him.

Might as well add DPS and fame per hour overlay UI meters to the game. Heck, how about an API that feeds me a list of every currently online unguilded player so I can just write a script to spam invite all of them every 15 minutes until I have a massive zerg guild feeding me siphoned energy with zero effort as well? Fuck it. Just let people log into a website and buy / sell auctions without ever having to actually log into the game.
      Fuck it let smartphone users auto-harvest and auto-PvP so people can just wake up in the mid-afternoon to looties that they can use an API to tell them if they should even bother listing them or not.

Fuck API's and fuck API users and fuck private API's and all the guilds that rely on them.
      Yikes, your profile picture fit very well with your arguments.

Crying about usage of API being elitist and unfair, clearly show the lack of brains from your part to utilize API properly.

Instead of completely cutting off API usage, limit it to certain areas. EZ fix!
      We don't need EVE Onlines type of "Wormhole" exploration tools to map roads, fine to skip it.

API is a clear betterment of the game.
    • Wydoyolo wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

[...]
      Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. API doesn't provide such information.
      API is publicly available, is used on albiononline.com website. So everyone can access data API provides, either through official website, formatted with HTML tables or JSON format.

So... you should also remove your youtube videos. You are showing how to get fame quickly but someone who don't know your channel can't do that.

----

We probably could even live with this API which is available atm. But make it work so it doesn't throw errors on 70% of requests or timeouts after 120s of loading.
      Yes it does. Some redditard posted his shitty website that used the API to let you search avalon road locations. You could literally be like "I want a tier 8 zone with static dungeons and wood resources on the map" and it'd give you a whole list of zones with portals that lead to such roads.

I could use a discord bot or a price checker site to queue up the cost of that 8.2 helmet and it'd give me an entire price history as well as current prices from every city.

No, only smarty-pants coder big-wig website dev tycoons can utilize an API. A normie like me can't just whip up an API scanner to check things. And thus, PRIVATE API sites are used by guilds in literally every game that has API's to get ahead of the rat race.

My videos have caused a massive disturbance. My video ruined several Bridgewatch markets and also flooded the zones with newbies. If I make a build video that gets 100k+ views that market will be absolutely ruined. If an API website that tells you how to flip black market auctions got 100k views then it'd drive all the black market prices into the ground. I had no idea the videos I made would get so many views and it's why I haven't been releasing anything cause the second I do all that watch it will literally zugzug exactly what I tell them to do and ruin it for everyone.
      I make Albion tutorial videos and have the 2nd result for SEO currently. 13,000 subscribers and counting.
    • SwoleBenji wrote:

Wydoyolo wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

[...]
      Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. API doesn't provide such information.API is publicly available, is used on albiononline.com website. So everyone can access data API provides, either through official website, formatted with HTML tables or JSON format.

----

Yes it does.
      No it doesn't. There is no single endpoint giving information about roads or market.

Things you are talking about are not processed with use of Albion's API. This is something totally different.
      Make HCE lvl 15+ BZ only
    • SwoleBenji wrote:

Wydoyolo wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

[...]
      Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. API doesn't provide such information.API is publicly available, is used on albiononline.com website. So everyone can access data API provides, either through official website, formatted with HTML tables or JSON format.

----

Yes it does. Some redditard posted his shitty website that used the API to let you search avalon road locations. You could literally be like "I want a tier 8 zone with static dungeons and wood resources on the map" and it'd give you a whole list of zones with portals that lead to such roads.
      I could use a discord bot or a price checker site to queue up the cost of that 8.2 helmet and it'd give me an entire price history as well as current prices from every city.

No, only smarty-pants coder big-wig website dev tycoons can utilize an API. A normie like me can't just whip up an API scanner to check things. And thus, PRIVATE API sites are used by guilds in literally every game that has API's to get ahead of the rat race.

My videos have caused a massive disturbance. My video ruined several Bridgewatch markets and also flooded the zones with newbies. If I make a build video that gets 100k+ views that market will be absolutely ruined. If an API website that tells you how to flip black market auctions got 100k views then it'd drive all the black market prices into the ground. I had no idea the videos I made would get so many views and it's why I haven't been releasing anything cause the second I do all that watch it will literally zugzug exactly what I tell them to do and ruin it for everyone.
      You're only looking at this from your own little view of the universe.
      If you had to regear people after zvz, say 60 of them, without access to a killboard to tell you if they died in the battle you're regearing and what gear they lost, it takes DAYS to gather that information from all of them ( not to mention the ingame deaths don't always show the latest death ). When you have killboard/killbot/api, then it's easy for each of the people to find their kill, show you what gear they lost and you give them their gear back.
      Also the "redditard" you mentioned, helps people find a way - yes, but it also requires people to INPUT that information. And those sites will exist with or without an official API. Why ? Because they don't rely on anything that an API provides. We had a google sheet that we used to track connections around our roads HO and NO ONE without access to it had that information. So ban google sheets also ?

On a side note - every decently big MMO in the past decade has an API. That information is available to everyone. The "private API's" will exist ( like the roadmapper ) with or without an official API.
      But hey, thanks for calling us subhumans, that surely brings additional weight to your words.
    • BabyPicklesTV wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

I vote against API's. Make people do the math manually. It's REALLLY UNFAIR that someone with a private API or knows of a website that will literally tell them "Buy X item, take it to the black market, instant profit" or other such similar things "!!ALERT!! buy t5 wood and refine it for free $$$" gives people that use third party software and websites a massive advantage over those that don't. It also forces the player base to rely and use said tools to be equal with those. Of course private API's are what truly separate the casuals from the upper elite class. Take Path of Exile for example. If you don't use private API's you will never truly be wealthy in that game.

API's let people skip jotting down numbers and doing math to figure out profit margins, instantaneously and without travel.
      API's let people do things that use API's and websites that people without cannot.
      API's ruin gaming.

With just a few clicks I can tell you which gathering profession is the current best in the game, which resources to refine, which crops to raise, etc.

Let people willing to scratch out hours of math get ahead economically. Not some low IQ brainlett subhuman using a website that does the work for him.

Might as well add DPS and fame per hour overlay UI meters to the game. Heck, how about an API that feeds me a list of every currently online unguilded player so I can just write a script to spam invite all of them every 15 minutes until I have a massive zerg guild feeding me siphoned energy with zero effort as well? Fuck it. Just let people log into a website and buy / sell auctions without ever having to actually log into the game.
      Fuck it let smartphone users auto-harvest and auto-PvP so people can just wake up in the mid-afternoon to looties that they can use an API to tell them if they should even bother listing them or not.

Fuck API's and fuck API users and fuck private API's and all the guilds that rely on them.
      Yikes, your profile picture fit very well with your arguments.
      Crying about usage of API being elitist and unfair, clearly show the lack of brains from your part to utilize API properly.

Instead of completely cutting off API usage, limit it to certain areas. EZ fix!
      We don't need EVE Onlines type of "Wormhole" exploration tools to map roads, fine to skip it.

API is a clear betterment of the game.
      Doesn't better the game, it makes everyone into a hivemind that has to rely on the API or they become bottom feeders who aren't playing to their fullest. With no API the math would take a lot longer and the info wouldn't be as public, but the people that PUT IN THE WORK TO DO THE MATH and who also don't spoil it for everyone on youtube would benefit massively over zugzug low IQ brainlet idiots that use a website that uses the API to do the calculating for them.
    • sh1ny wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

Wydoyolo wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

[...]

----

Yes it does. Some redditard posted his shitty website that used the API to let you search avalon road locations. You could literally be like "I want a tier 8 zone with static dungeons and wood resources on the map" and it'd give you a whole list of zones with portals that lead to such roads.I could use a discord bot or a price checker site to queue up the cost of that 8.2 helmet and it'd give me an entire price history as well as current prices from every city.

You're only looking at this from your own little view of the universe.If you had to regear people after zvz, say 60 of them, without access to a killboard to tell you if they died in the battle you're regearing and what gear they lost, it takes DAYS to gather that information from all of them ( not to mention the ingame deaths don't always show the latest death ). When you have killboard/killbot/api, then it's easy for each of the people to find their kill, show you what gear they lost and you give them their gear back.
      Also the "redditard" you mentioned, helps people find a way - yes, but it also requires people to INPUT that information. And those sites will exist with or without an official API. Why ? Because they don't rely on anything that an API provides. We had a google sheet that we used to track connections around our roads HO and NO ONE without access to it had that information. So ban google sheets also ?

On a side note - every decently big MMO in the past decade has an API. That information is available to everyone. The "private API's" will exist ( like the roadmapper ) with or without an official API.
      But hey, thanks for calling us subhumans, that surely brings additional weight to your words.
      If your guild members lie to you then kick them? I get that guilds just use members like a cog in a machine and that scummy little cucks will lie to get more gear, but there's ways around that problem without relying on an API. Sounds like the recent kills / deaths should function as it should? I don't see how one mega-brain private API user can use that info to completely dominate a market and become a billionaire in a month or having 100,000 people have that info with no effort or thought and immediately let an automated website reading data give them the "in" to get rich quick.

The thread I saw about the avalon road map says it takes data from the API. So either they're lying or they have api data you don't. The servers literally just reset and the website is functioning fine.

My major gripe with this game is the fact that 99.99% of the people I gank, bully, and torment don't even speak English.
    • SwoleBenji wrote:

sh1ny wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

Wydoyolo wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

[...]
      Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. API doesn't provide such information.API is publicly available, is used on albiononline.com website. So everyone can access data API provides, either through official website, formatted with HTML tables or JSON format.API has nothing to do with economy, there are no prices given whatsoever.

----

Yes it does. Some redditard posted his shitty website that used the API to let you search avalon road locations. You could literally be like "I want a tier 8 zone with static dungeons and wood resources on the map" and it'd give you a whole list of zones with portals that lead to such roads.I could use a discord bot or a price checker site to queue up the cost of that 8.2 helmet and it'd give me an entire price history as well as current prices from every city.

My videos have caused a massive disturbance. My video ruined several Bridgewatch markets and also flooded the zones with newbies. If I make a build video that gets 100k+ views that market will be absolutely ruined. If an API website that tells you how to flip black market auctions got 100k views then it'd drive all the black market prices into the ground. I had no idea the videos I made would get so many views and it's why I haven't been releasing anything cause the second I do all the Indians that watch it will literally zugzug exactly what I tell them to do and ruin it for everyone.
      You're only looking at this from your own little view of the universe.If you had to regear people after zvz, say 60 of them, without access to a killboard to tell you if they died in the battle you're regearing and what gear they lost, it takes DAYS to gather that information from all of them ( not to mention the ingame deaths don't always show the latest death ). When you have killboard/killbot/api, then it's easy for each of the people to find their kill, show you what gear they lost and you give them their gear back.Also the "redditard" you mentioned, helps people find a way - yes, but it also requires people to INPUT that information. And those sites will exist with or without an official API. Why ? Because they don't rely on anything that an API provides. We had a google sheet that we used to track connections around our roads HO and NO ONE without access to it had that information. So ban google sheets also ?

If your guild members lie to you then kick them? I get that guilds just use members like a cog in a machine and that scummy little cucks will lie to get more gear, but there's ways around that problem without relying on an API. Sounds like the recent kills / deaths should function as it should? I don't see how one mega-brain private API user can use that info to completely dominate a market and become a billionaire in a month or having 100,000 people have that info with no effort or thought and immediately let an automated website reading data give them the "in" to get rich quick.
      The thread I saw about the avalon road map says it takes data from the API. So either they're lying or they have api data you don't. The servers literally just reset and the website is functioning fine.

My major gripe with this game is the fact that 99.99% of the people I gank, bully, and torment don't even speak English.
      There is no API for roads connections. It's manual work. There's even an open source mapping tool here:

github.com/Portaler-Zone/portaler-core

It also takes 0 info from the API.
      The information about what zones contain is available in the client and is also available here:

github.com/broderickhyman/ao-bin-dumps

All roads mappers rely on people manually inputting the connections. And yes i have access to a private tool that can find a way from zone A to zone B ( through the roads ), and it requires ZERO information from ANY API. All that's needed is people to scout those connections ( and input data through the website )

And i think you misunderstood me about the regears - i am not saying my members are lying. I am saying that this information is NOT available always ingame. Or if we die enough times for a day, not all deaths are visible in your ingame stats pannel.
      It's way easier for me to summarize everything with the battle reports + related kills and i am writing a tool that will use the API to determine what i have to regear, because otherwise is just a long and painful process. Why do i do this ? So my guild members have their gear back as fast as possible and they feel safe that they will get what they lost.
      Now if you think API's break games:

You seem to be largely misinformed about what we're talking here and at the same time - offending the rest of us.

The post was edited 2 times, last by sh1ny ().

• SwoleBenji wrote:

sh1ny wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

Wydoyolo wrote:

SwoleBenji wrote:

[...]
      Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. API doesn't provide such information.API is publicly available, is used on albiononline.com website. So everyone can access data API provides, either through official website, formatted with HTML tables or JSON format.API has nothing to do with economy, there are no prices given whatsoever.

----

You're only looking at this from your own little view of the universe.If you had to regear people after zvz, say 60 of them, without access to a killboard to tell you if they died in the battle you're regearing and what gear they lost, it takes DAYS to gather that information from all of them ( not to mention the ingame deaths don't always show the latest death ). When you have killboard/killbot/api, then it's easy for each of the people to find their kill, show you what gear they lost and you give them their gear back.Also the "redditard" you mentioned, helps people find a way - yes, but it also requires people to INPUT that information. And those sites will exist with or without an official API. Why ? Because they don't rely on anything that an API provides. We had a google sheet that we used to track connections around our roads HO and NO ONE without access to it had that information. So ban google sheets also ?

The thread I saw about the avalon road map says it takes data from the API. So either they're lying or they have api data you don't. The servers literally just reset and the website is functioning fine. (No I'm gonna share it so every BR huehuehue retard can start farming t8 roads instantly.)

1. There is the SBI provided public API (the entire point of this thread). This is what powers the albiononline.com/en/killboard and allows you to see all of your kills and stats. This is the API that SBI provides. This is what has stalled for the past week which is why the last kills you can see are from oct. 27.

2, your "private API" are not all that private as most of them use the albion-online-data.com/ which is public as anyone can use it, but its not created by SBI. This is the API that provides the market data and you can see all the FAQs on that site on how to use, SBI stance on it, etc.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Elsa: insults ().

• Battleboards and killboards are the main source of attraction into the AO website. And they don't even make it work, it's been down for a week with absolutely 0 communication.

API is a blessing for all the tools some of the amazing players are creating, it shows how invested the community is. For those not familiar with it, it takes an insane amount of time to make the proper application using the API.

Respect the community, at least communicate. Give us a delay, something.
      https://discord.com/invite/aofaction - Faction Fights ZvZs Daily !
      https://discord.gg/S4JqzWj - Crafting community, get advices, find a crafter, be a proud crafter !
    • Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing up your concerns about the performance of the API. Considering that this API was always meant to be for internal use, and thus entirely undocumented, the sheer number of tools that were developed and serve community purposes is astounding.

This widespread acceptance and distribution of tools latching onto that API is, at the moment, its downfall. The increase in player numbers, paired with the increase in numbers of tools, brought the infrastructure behind this API pretty much down to its knees. That doesn’t make you happy because your tools don’t work, it doesn’t make us happy, because our killboard doesn’t work. We’re currently investigating which attempts at improving the situation are the ones most likely to succeed. Throwing even more hardware at the situation is obviously the first step, will likely only buy some time - and is also something that’s not an instant implementation. However, we’re on it.

Going beyond that, we will have to look at the fundamental architecture of the API itself to enable it to handle all the data from the hundreds of thousands of people playing the game, as well as the tools that our community, that you guys, develop and maintain.

-Talion
      Losing my insanity would mean I'm losing everything: the dreams where I can fly.
    • Talion wrote:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing up your concerns about the performance of the API. Considering that this API was always meant to be for internal use, and thus entirely undocumented, the sheer number of tools that were developed and serve community purposes is astounding.

This widespread acceptance and distribution of tools latching onto that API is, at the moment, its downfall. The increase in player numbers, paired with the increase in numbers of tools, brought the infrastructure behind this API pretty much down to its knees. That doesn’t make you happy because your tools don’t work, it doesn’t make us happy, because our killboard doesn’t work. We’re currently investigating which attempts at improving the situation are the ones most likely to succeed. Throwing even more hardware at the situation is obviously the first step, will likely only buy some time - and is also something that’s not an instant implementation. However, we’re on it.

Going beyond that, we will have to look at the fundamental architecture of the API itself to enable it to handle all the data from the hundreds of thousands of people playing the game, as well as the tools that our community, that you guys, develop and maintain.

-Talion
      Thanks @Talion for the reply.

May I suggest the following to assist in maintaining a public API:

1. Implement identity services.
      2. Implement Rate Limiting. Both unauthenticated and authenticated. Authenticated rating limiting can ensure that people dont abuse the API.
      3. Implement filters on the end points that allow pulling of both kill and death events. This will stop those that need to constantly poll chasing death events.

There is obviously a lot you can do around the caching layer, however those above will reduce the load on your API infrastructure, allow you to manage how many developers are using the API and allow smart usage of it.

Cheers
      ItsNewbie
      ----------------------
      https://www.aoherald.com/
    • Talion wrote:

Hey everyone,

-Talion
      Thank you so much for this update.