Feedback on Fishing & Gathering - Brimstone & Mist

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Feedback on Fishing & Gathering - Brimstone & Mist

Hi everyone,

Following our Brimstone & Mist Update, we would like to gather your feedback on the new fishing areas and fish species in the Roads of Avalon, as well as the state of fishing and gathering in general!

This focus thread was set up to collate feedback on the above features in one place, so that our devs can refer to it more easily. If you have already posted elsewhere, feel free to pen down your thoughts with or without additions and/or link your previous post.

- Mytherceria & Community Team

Mytherceria#3744
    • The underway seems to have been nerfed. Don't know if it was meant to.
      It is very hard to catch fishes now.
      We mostly catch, logs, rocks and seaweed, when we catch something.And we now have to wait a long time before catching something.
      And the fishing spot (also in Carleon) have been reduced. If you put the cursor on the water, there is no hook showing, and so, we're unable to fish.
    • Right now it feels like everything is being done to discourage gathering, and yet since all the nodes are always empty clearly people want to do it. The current gathering meta is one of two options:

1. Gank gatherers (gather what gatherers have collected and return to town) - this comes with the typical risks in BZ / RZ but at least you can be in pvp gear while doing it.

2. Run corrupted dungeons and buy material off the auction house to use for crafting. This has the added benefit of never having to risk much at all.

Actually getting it yourself varies, but my experience has been middling to bad. Add to the poor return per hour the fact that you're running around RZ / BZ in "loot pinata" gear that makes things even worse.

I'm sure this is a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing but with as few t6-t8 zones as there are in the game I can't imagine I'm too far off on this one. Haven't experienced the roads much so I have not accounted for that in my observations. I am hopeful that things are different there, but that is TBD.
    • (solo experience - no guild HO in the roads)

Gathering in general feels garbage, because at lower levels you can gather hundreds if not thousands of materials and they sell for next to nothing. That applies including T6 / T7.

Higher value resources are not special, because in almost all cases it makes more sense to PvE or gank, buy T4 flat and transmute it up if you need something specific. Gathering has a cap of value, due to transmutation.

The risk reward for high tier gathering in the roads feels way off. You likely have to go in a spectral direboar mount or your capactiy is just too low for an extended gathering journey, and at T7 / T8 gathering as your target, your risk-reward is off - unless you you live in a hideout in a pacified zone. Even then, capacity and travel time through unineresting and repetitive areas is the buzzkill.

Roadblock mobs that are just in the way (not in hotspots) are unexciting and boring, especially because they can't enchant ever and have no variation.

Introducing the elite / veteran is a good jackpot feeling for hotspots though, but a lot of it is farmed during primetimes.But its the best part of the roads gathering experience, although until you hit T6 tools it is probably always better to farm in the royals.

Fishing as a general mechanic is boring and the minigame is horrible. Eating fish for fame is also a terrible experience. Fishing chests is always a waste of time. Fishing in the roads is no different.

Gathering journals haven't been looked at since 2014 it seems. There is a reason probably 85% - 95% of the properly utilized laborers in the game are crafting.

Connecting the highest value roads to the highest value blackzones seems like a unintended snowball effect.

In general the risk vs reward for gathering in the blackzones feels like it is not worth it until T8 and then it only is if you have a pacified area. Ganking is just way to high reward for using T4 garbage gear compared.

Gathering gear needs a full rework, for the roads it is much harder to target specific biomes, so gathering gear loses its value and you basically go in fighting gear + all tools + pie if you care for the yield and only bring gathering gear if your guild does a bigger boss.
      | Bogul#6397 | Twitch.tv/Bogul99 | @AO_Bogul |

The post was edited 4 times, last by Bogul ().

• The "rare" fish because it is a %chance basis, it feels completely separate from albion gathering. Gathering in albion is find the resource and gather it, where as WoW is find a flower, mill it for % chance to get the rare thing.

When fishing you should find a node -the fish in the water- and be able to see what tier they are. those fish should be cooked into food replacing "rare" fish.

the whole rare fish concept is foreign to albion except this 1 system. if you had enchanted fish i would get it but instead there is a vestigial system tied into food. Why should fish created foods have such odd recipes.

Gathering has become difficult, while still possible even with good hideouts etc. the weight of materials causes so many trips in and out of BZ. even with portal ganking measures, its just impossible to make these runs like we did in the old BZ. N+1 is too strong so taking materials out of BZ must be done in a caravan situation. I just dont like gathering as much as i did pre queen. I think the main problem is the "small nodes" they sounded good for like a minute, but the problem is gathering gear, in any zone i cant just gather 1 material type, in the old BZ, i would run a zone find 2-3 T7 nodes, grab gathering gear and get them, then during that time find 2-3 of another type and switch gear. in this BZ i only sometimes find 1 large node in a zone of a type. so now ill put on the gathering gear to maximize profit - stone - then anything else i find i gather without gathering gear because there is 0 reason to switch then wait 10 minutes. This is compounded because i have to carry 3 types of journals - let alone find somewhere to get journals in the BZ or run tons of them out.

in the old BZ gathering t7-t8 was a profession, you could run 4 zones from portal - as there were twice as many portals, grab 4-5 t7+ run back, perhaps store gathering sets in the warcamps ect to switch. Now gathering is like a sidejob, grab stuff when you see it, but running a zone and coming out 30 minutes later with 30 piece of T7+ it is nothing like filling a spectral direboar every time you go out by simply finding 9 T7+ nodes in 2-3 zones now finding 9 nodes is 20 pieces if that. even a fresh T7 with 3 ticks on it, its not worth changing gathering gear and waiting 10 minutes, so its roughly 8 piece of material. practically worthless compared to the effort of finding it 7 zones deep in the BZ, even when you have hideout in zone why bother going outside to bring back maybe 20 pieces of t7+ mats, too much wasted time. run an HCE instead.

EDIT due to reading @Boguls post :

Bogul wrote:

buy T4 flat and transmute it up. Gathering has a cap of value, due to transmutation.

Bogul wrote:

at lower levels you can gather hundreds if not thousands of materials and they sell for next to nothing.

These 2 points low tier gathering is simply there are so many mats, but access to them and being able to transmute them for the same price as purchase on market +-10% value is a problem i railed on transmutation changes when they first happened, over night the hide market t5 hide went from 990 per hide, to 500 per hide. because t4 could be transmuted.

Perhaps low tier gear should trash more than high tier gear, instead of percent trash chance use a percent trash, then add + X durability loss, that causes most t6 and below gear to trash relieving low tier gear from markets.

another option is change the crafting metrics, options

-to refine use more/equal amounts of refined lower tier mat as to higher tier mat

-use crafted lower tier gear to make higher tier gear IE T4 hunter jacket + t5 mats to get t5 jacket.
      -- better quality low tier gear increases quality chance for higher tier. IE T4 MP +t5 mats 5x more chance to get T5MP

Bot purging, have to remove bots gathering in blue zones and yellow zones,

perhaps add incentive for videos provided showing oddly behaving non responsive players gathering. 100gp per bot found

add a "Bot check" button. if i click a player and hit bot check, on the border of their screen a small red flashing sign appears, if it isnt click within 5 minutes they are a bot, key is to have the position of the button to move, and noticeable but not obtrusive so PK cant abuse it like guild invites, or trade requests. perhaps have the bot check player have to fill a response, type the players name or something into a prompt, that way they couldnt use it quickly enough to abuse creating the button on the players screen.

The post was edited 1 time, last by blappo ().

• Gathering Ore ,stone. wood, and fiber is beyond slow if you want to try to even level without using learning points. in compared to fishing there is types of food that help catch fish faster and also increase amount you can possibly get in gathering bonus like seaweed salad or fishing bait. You can level fishing just by eating fish which some people do if they have the money.
      When you look at the other gathering resources you really only get the pork pie which increases carry load and gathering yield but is still not as superior as a seaweed salad and some bait for fishing. Gathering there should be more opportunities to gain more fame in them to put them on par to fishing.
      To put in perspective I was able to reach t6 fishing in under 3 hours eating fish, using bait, and using a seaweed salad, While for the other resources to just even get the next tier it can take well over 6-8 hours without the use of learning points. Now on to the learning points of things, fishing to just go up a tier is a lot cheaper in points then the others. While just getting tier 4 in the other gathering stats it costs 117 learning points while fishing costs not even a third of that around 10-15 for each upgrade.
      How to fix this? Make the other gathering skills like fishing where they're all under one path and not 5 and then you have to then after you finally get t8 in them then get the spec up by mining the appropriate tier of resource while in fishing its literally two trees the tiers to better gear and then the spec to enhance gathering rates. Another thing I would suggest would be foods or tool abilities to help increase gathering speed, and fame gained and yield collected.
      Examples for the tools would be to have them have an abilities to speed up the tools gathering for its appropriate tier and below for a certain amount of time while having specific foods that increase the gather yield to affect fame earned.

I appreciate who ever reads this and hope to have more input and ideas if you agree or disagree with what i've posted.
    • 1) Bug.

I may have missed someone saying something, but the new fish are bugged.

despite all announcements saying you could chop them, you can not chop them.

I found this out after investing ALL of my silver to chop them (it is how I make silver.reallllllly slowly)

So now I am stuck with a few thousand fish that i can not cook nor chop. If I sell them on the market I will lose a large sum of money.

Please fix this :(

2) Fishing.

Fishing is great. I love it being a mini game. I really enjoy the update to the roads that shows water locations. I also enjoy the added water locations to my road HO.

I, however, dislike the fish bots. It is gross. 10 seconds on google showed me how to write an imaging program that fishes/gathers for me based on the images on a screen.

Perhaps having multiple games for fish? or something to counteract these bots.

There was a huddle of them outside FS a few weeks ago that i reported every 12 hours till I no longer saw them. Took about 5 days of reporting.

Now I imagine most are hiding in the roads some where just endlessly fishing there. It is gross.

3) Gathering.

I really enjoy gathering. I hit t8 wood gathering about 4 weeks into the game, and loved it. I really like how well it works on the phone and the PC.

I am not a fan of gathering in Red zones due to how populated they are. I do not gather in Black as well because i *always* get ganked out there.

It wouldn't be so bad, except that Wood sells for actual nothing. Same for Bows.

It has been sink of silver that just doesnt really have any pay off.

Just the other day I was gathering in a yellow zone and watched a bot go in a circle around some resources.

Curious, I started gathering resources 1 step ahead of them for a solid 10 minutes, not a word. They would jsut walk up to the resources and awkwardly stand there before moving to the next one.
    • For starters, I have gathered entirely within the Roads ever since they released but did a fair amount of solo black zone gathering before that. I am also part of a guild based out of a Roads hideout, meaning I spend a LOT of time there in general, so that is my perspective here.

The Roads are at their best when I come across a large untapped resource cluster of the correct resource, or encounter an aspect or two of the desired resource. At these times I feel like a proper gatherer, can equip my proper gathering set and pie, and go to work. I return with a nice haul, enough to actually use up my focus for refining and later crafting.

However this is not the case most of the time, for multiple reasons. The main one is of course the random nature of the zones, but it's made worse by the fact that resources are mixed together. So even if you go to a fiber node marked on the map, there will only be about 3-5 mixed tier fiber nodes (if you include resource mobs) along with some other random resource type. For an entire zone, that's almost nothing! I was just discussing with a guildmate how difficult it is to level up gathering in the Roads, because it's impossible to consistently gather any one resource. I would much prefer for marked nodes to be 100% composed of the indicated resource, as this would allow for standard gathering runs and effective use of gathering gear.

And as Bogul said, the fact that common resource mobs never enchant is TERRIBLE. Especially since they are required to get any kind of consistent yield when gathering from a hideout.
    • There are many issues with gathering.
      Gathering gear is not very good outside royals, its very expensive, and you are a walking grand master silver bag.
      The gathering gear doesn't scale in any way, and you are forced to use whatever abilities it has, and you can't level any combat gear while wearing it. (except your weapon/off hand)
      You can't get any gathering credits either like you can with "normal" gear if u have 100 spec in whatever you wear.

It's kinda hard to level your zvz gear if you main gathering and are wearing gathering gear, for most players who live in the mist or bz, this is an issue.
      Gathering doesn't give you any bonus for having more than 1 profession compared to combat gear, where you get ip bonus for having points in for example greataxe and halberd.

Gathering compared to doing almost anything else in this game is not profitable at all, most i know and my self included had gathering as main, but had to switch to having gathering as a side thing, due to lack of income from it.
      Risk too high compared to the reward, also a lot of transport time involved

Gathering journals takes way too long to fill compared to all other journals, they are also super expensive compared to crafting journals where you have 0 risk and can craft inside a city.
    • krazzer wrote:

There are many issues with gathering.
      Gathering gear is not very good outside royals, its very expensive, and you are a walking grand master silver bag.
      The gathering gear doesn't scale in any way, and you are forced to use whatever abilities it has, and you can't level any combat gear while wearing it. (except your weapon/off hand)
      You can't get any gathering credits either like you can with "normal" gear if u have 100 spec in whatever you wear.

It's kinda hard to level your zvz gear if you main gathering and are wearing gathering gear, for most players who live in the mist or bz, this is an issue.
      Gathering doesn't give you any bonus for having more than 1 profession compared to combat gear, where you get ip bonus for having points in for example greataxe and halberd.

Gathering compared to doing almost anything else in this game is not profitable at all, most i know and my self included had gathering as main, but had to switch to having gathering as a side thing, due to lack of income from it.
      Risk too high compared to the reward, also a lot of transport time involved

Gathering journals takes way too long to fill compared to all other journals, they are also super expensive compared to crafting journals where you have 0 risk and can craft inside a city.
      Outside of fishing, Gathering journals are indeed a joke. In order for books to be actually useful you need to be able to use them consistently which is why fishing laborers arent completely trash. You can actually run them consistently if you fish, regardless of tier. Books take too long to fill and higher tier resources are too rare to possibly support consistent use which is ultimately the reason why they are in such a poor spot.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Gnomead ().