Censorship in Albion Online?

  • Censorship in Albion Online?

    I'm making this post because I hate censorship in all forms. I understand that there is an optional word filter that you can activate at will (spoiler related), however even deactivated some words are still censored.

    This is a game that is founded on player's freedom. I want my free speech back. Free speech means that I can say anything I want, however I must face consequences for it if I break the rules, being that consequence any sanction that SBI could apply to me: muting, banning, etc. and any of that sanctions, if another player report me will be fair, because that's on the terms of services. But what it's not fair is to have a list of words that are censored even if I turn the filter off. That's just plain censorship.




    By the way, this is what I think about this:



    Edit: If you wonder, I just want the "optional" filter to be really optional. Also, if you want to see how people who are supposed to be against insults treat me just because of my opinion, please read all the thread!

    Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN

    The post was edited 3 times, last by Neesh ().

  • Jean_Helius wrote:

    Oh no, i can't be toxic/racist/homophobic anymore help plz !! :rolleyes:

    Freedom of speech don't make everything acceptable!!!


    In real life yes you can say everything you want but i can also punch you in the face for that, but in a game there are no consequences.

    Good job sbi.
    Please, re read my post, freedom of speech isn't about making everything acceptable, is about making statements without prior restraint, and if there is a punishment for a bad use of that freedom, so be it, and in this case we have muting, banning, etc.

    And by the way, If you punch someone in the face because you didn't like what someone said, you are a criminal, because you're assaulting someone, and you'll have to deal with the legal consequences of that. That's real life for you, if you punch people because you just don't like what other said, you'll have to deal with a real judge and face the consequences of that criminal act.

    Also I'm not racist, toxic, homophobic, etc, I been playing this for a long time, I deal with lots of people in this game, and never got any complain or report about my behaviour, even when other people insult me. The point is, why have the option of a filter if when you turn it off, still filters stuff. Maybe defending freedom of speech is old fashioned, but it is a human right, and a basis for democracy.

    Display Spoiler


    AMERICAN CONVENTION ON
    HUMAN RIGHTS

    Article 13. Freedom of Thought and Expression
    1. Everyone has the right to freedom of thought and expression. This right includes freedom to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing, in print, in the form of art, or through any other medium of one's choice.
    2. The exercise of the right provided for in the foregoing paragraph shall not be subject to prior censorship but shall be subject to subsequent imposition of liability, which shall be expressly established by law to the extent necessary to ensure:




    So, you can say whatever you want, but you'll have to deal with consequences.

    This, however, maybe don't have a great impact on many people, but to me it's pretty relevant to defend freedom of speech.

    Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Neesh ().

  • This game is USK 12, which means that there are minors allowed to play.

    As it is all virtual you cannot invoke free spech or human rights for your anonymous pixel character.

    Please read the Terms of Use and particularly Section 13 and you will understand.

    If you need to reach out to someone official to discuss your concern:


    Youth Protection Officer:
    Dr. Andreas Lober, Attorney
    E-mail: jugendschutz@sandbox-interactive.com
    GM of The Gauntlet
    Recruitment: discord.gg/XcFZet8
    Looking for new and veteran players alike!
  • Beywulf wrote:

    This game is USK 12, which means that there are minors allowed to play.

    As it is all virtual you cannot invoke free spech or human rights for your anonymous pixel character.

    Please read the Terms of Use and particularly Section 13 and you will understand.

    If you need to reach out to someone official to discuss your concern:


    Youth Protection Officer:
    Dr. Andreas Lober, Attorney
    E-mail: jugendschutz@sandbox-interactive.com
    I have read the TOS of this game, and I'm familiar with that section. That's why you can get muted or banned if you "make public such information or upload content, if applicable, that is racist, inhuman, offensive or immoral," or "offend other Users or damage the reputation of a third party by making a false or unjust statement". That's the punishment of crossing the line when you have a bad exercise of your freedom of speech, and defending that freedom is also understanding that there are sanctions, but these sanctions are after you said something.

    If minors are allowed to play, then why isn't the profanity filter FORCED for every bad word? Have you thought about that? Isn't that better to protect that players by doing that in your point of view?

    If there is a profanity filter, and you can deactivate it, why some words are impossible to say but others don't? Even if using both are against section 13 of the terms of conditions?

    Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN
  • Neesh wrote:

    Jean_Helius wrote:

    Oh no, i can't be toxic/racist/homophobic anymore help plz !! :rolleyes:

    Freedom of speech don't make everything acceptable!!!


    In real life yes you can say everything you want but i can also punch you in the face for that, but in a game there are no consequences.

    Good job sbi.
    Please, re read my post, freedom of speech isn't about making everything acceptable, is about making statements without prior restraint, and if there is a punishment for a bad use of that freedom, so be it, and in this case we have muting, banning, etc.
    And by the way, If you punch someone in the face because you didn't like what someone said, you are a criminal, because you're assaulting someone, and you'll have to deal with the legal consequences of that. That's real life for you, if you punch people because you just don't like what other said, you'll have to deal with a real judge and face the consequences of that criminal act.

    Also I'm not racist, toxic, homophobic, etc, I been playing this for a long time, I deal with lots of people in this game, and never got any complain or report about my behaviour, even when other people insult me. The point is, why have the option of a filter if when you turn it off, still filters stuff. Maybe defending freedom of speech is old fashioned, but it is a human right, and a basis for democracy.

    Display Spoiler


    AMERICAN CONVENTION ON
    HUMAN RIGHTS

    Article 13. Freedom of Thought and Expression
    1. Everyone has the right to freedom of thought and expression. This right includes freedom to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing, in print, in the form of art, or through any other medium of one's choice.
    2. The exercise of the right provided for in the foregoing paragraph shall not be subject to prior censorship but shall be subject to subsequent imposition of liability, which shall be expressly established by law to the extent necessary to ensure:




    So, you can say whatever you want, but you'll have to deal with consequences.

    This, however, maybe don't have a great impact on many people, but to me, and to my formation, it's pretty relevant to defend freedom of speech.
    Cool but in usa there is no real consequence for being racist, your "American Convention On human Rights" it's a joke, very vague, racists turned it into a tool to keep spreading hate and should be revised. Here in Brazil you can face 3 years of jail for being racist, now that is a real consequence.
    If you don't agree with sbi approach to this problem, you have also the freedom to leave the game anytime.

    i'm just glad they are doing this now before the official mobile release.
  • Jean_Helius wrote:

    Neesh wrote:

    Jean_Helius wrote:

    Oh no, i can't be toxic/racist/homophobic anymore help plz !! :rolleyes:

    Freedom of speech don't make everything acceptable!!!


    In real life yes you can say everything you want but i can also punch you in the face for that, but in a game there are no consequences.

    Good job sbi.
    Please, re read my post, freedom of speech isn't about making everything acceptable, is about making statements without prior restraint, and if there is a punishment for a bad use of that freedom, so be it, and in this case we have muting, banning, etc.And by the way, If you punch someone in the face because you didn't like what someone said, you are a criminal, because you're assaulting someone, and you'll have to deal with the legal consequences of that. That's real life for you, if you punch people because you just don't like what other said, you'll have to deal with a real judge and face the consequences of that criminal act.

    Also I'm not racist, toxic, homophobic, etc, I been playing this for a long time, I deal with lots of people in this game, and never got any complain or report about my behaviour, even when other people insult me. The point is, why have the option of a filter if when you turn it off, still filters stuff. Maybe defending freedom of speech is old fashioned, but it is a human right, and a basis for democracy.

    Display Spoiler


    AMERICAN CONVENTION ON
    HUMAN RIGHTS

    Article 13. Freedom of Thought and Expression
    1. Everyone has the right to freedom of thought and expression. This right includes freedom to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing, in print, in the form of art, or through any other medium of one's choice.
    2. The exercise of the right provided for in the foregoing paragraph shall not be subject to prior censorship but shall be subject to subsequent imposition of liability, which shall be expressly established by law to the extent necessary to ensure:




    So, you can say whatever you want, but you'll have to deal with consequences.

    This, however, maybe don't have a great impact on many people, but to me, and to my formation, it's pretty relevant to defend freedom of speech.
    Cool but in usa there is no real consequence for being racist, your "American Convention On human Rights" it's a joke, very vague, racists turned it into a tool to keep spreading hate and should be revised. Here in Brazil you can face 3 years of jail for being racist, now that is a real consequence.If you don't agree with sbi approach to this problem, you have also the freedom to leave the game anytime.

    i'm just glad they are doing this now before the official mobile release.
    Are you aware that human rights convention is signed by Brazil too? That sanction you mention is according to that treaty actually.

    "If you don't agree with sbi approach to this problem, you have also the freedom to leave the game anytime." Yeah, I don't agree (I believe if I deactivate the filter I should be able to see everything), but also I don't agree with your solution. SBI is free to do as it pleases, and surely someone will read this, maybe they will don't say anything, or just let it be. So be it. I just exercise my freedom of speech while I talk about this, just stating my opinion. And if doesn't change, well, there is nothing I can do about that, and I will keep playing anyways.

    If you want to know how I find out about this, it was just today, because I updated the game, and applied the profanity filter by default (by the way, only the english filter was applied and I play in spanish), checked some words without telling them to anyone, and find out that even if I deactivate the filter, there are some words that still are censored.



    CigNus wrote:

    huh... you must be really bored to complain about this.
    I totally agree, but this is also a forum, and guess what, people are stating their opinions too! Well I got called a racist and homophobic twice (isn't that against the rules without proof of that? Because it's unfair, false AND damages my reputation? In this same thread you can see how other people misuse their freedom of speech, the irony). But at least got people to say something different, all regarding our loved game.

    Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN
  • Piraterer wrote:

    Well you want to write bad words. So you are. Thats the proof.
    Fun fact your Guild is called "Honoris".
    I don't want to be censored by any means, it's not like I use these words! I don't like the idea of being censored like that, it's just that. I don't like games that enforce that kind of things.

    Yeah it's a great guild! You can talk with anyone of the members of my guild, and in 1.5 years of existence, I haven't insulted anyone! You can talk to my alliance too, and see how I always try to fix issues between people. You really don't know anything about me.

    Piraterer wrote:

    "defending free spech these days" - and we stand here against racism, insults and guys like you :)
    GJ SBI. Welcome on our side.
    Even if you are clearly implying that I'm racist, that I insult people. That is a lie! And you're putting it on the forum, on public, it's unfair to me, and you're breaking the game rules by doing that.

    Display Spoiler

    § 13 General Obligations regarding User Conduct and Content
    - offend other Users or damage the reputation of a third party by making a false or unjust statement


    Just like this guy

    Jean_Helius wrote:

    Oh no, i can't be toxic/racist/homophobic anymore help plz !! :rolleyes:
    A perfect example of people breaking the rules while exercising their freedom of speech! Both of you are damaging my reputation, and you PIRATERER even my GUILD reputation (wich I have mantained for a long time, and I have met hundreds of people there) by telling or implying that I'm racist, that I insult people, or that I'm homophobic. That is just not true, and... since while I defend freedom of speech, I also recognise that there are sanctions if you cross the line, wich you both did.

    Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN
  • Neesh wrote:

    Piraterer wrote:

    "defending free spech these days" - and we stand here against racism, insults and guys like you :)
    GJ SBI. Welcome on our side.
    Even if you are clearly implying that I'm racist, that I insult people. That is a lie! And you're putting it on the forum, on public, it's unfair to me, and you're breaking the game rules by doing that.
    Display Spoiler

    § 13 General Obligations regarding User Conduct and Content
    - offend other Users or damage the reputation of a third party by making a false or unjust statement

    Not really. I say "guys like you" (who want to make racism or insults possible). If you think i am clearly implying you are a racist you may think about that?
    And thats what you think is freedom of speech. Make clearly racist or insulting words possible. There is no false or unjust statement in this conclusion.
    Small Scaler, Meuchelmörder & Notfall-Nature-Healer
    Proscriptus
    Ruhm und Ehre erwarten euch nur auf dem Schlachtfeld!
  • Piraterer wrote:

    Neesh wrote:

    Piraterer wrote:

    "defending free spech these days" - and we stand here against racism, insults and guys like you :)
    GJ SBI. Welcome on our side.
    Even if you are clearly implying that I'm racist, that I insult people. That is a lie! And you're putting it on the forum, on public, it's unfair to me, and you're breaking the game rules by doing that.
    Display Spoiler

    § 13 General Obligations regarding User Conduct and Content
    - offend other Users or damage the reputation of a third party by making a false or unjust statement

    Not really. I say "guys like you" (who want to make racism or insults possible). If you think i am clearly implying you are a racist you may think about that?And thats what you think is freedom of speech. Make clearly racist or insulting words possible. There is no false or unjust statement in this conclusion.

    Piraterer wrote:

    Well you want to write bad words. So you are. Thats the proof.
    Fun fact your Guild is called "Honoris".
    "so you are" so I am what? Do you know what I believe? That you just backed off since you read that telling that lies is against the rules. I have no respect for people who can't stand even for their own opinion.

    Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN
  • An insulter at least. Maybe racist too? I dont know what words you write :)
    But writing words who are censored is an insulter or toxic player.

    So again. Why do you need these words who are cleary insults? If you dont need them, than nothing to change. By the way "trying" insults is clearly against rules.
    But its ok. Go to America.
    Small Scaler, Meuchelmörder & Notfall-Nature-Healer
    Proscriptus
    Ruhm und Ehre erwarten euch nur auf dem Schlachtfeld!
  • Neesh wrote:

    If minors are allowed to play, then why isn't the profanity filter FORCED for every bad word? Have you thought about that? Isn't that better to protect that players by doing that in your point of view?
    If there is a profanity filter, and you can deactivate it, why some words are impossible to say but others don't? Even if using both are against section 13 of the terms of conditions?
    Apparently Albion has to stretch it for a USK 12 rating because the requirements for operation of USK 16 rated content were apparently written by someone with borderline retardation.


    You literally cant run your service from 6:00 to 22:00 if you are rated USK 16.
    - You're a monster.
    - Am I?