Raising chickens profitable? Or is it a stepping stone to other animals?

• Raising chickens profitable? Or is it a stepping stone to other animals?

After a few days, I find the raw meat sells for more than the live chickens.

Also, it's 90 carrots to feed a full pasture. Which is over 30k silver if sold.

I only get baby chicks once, and eggs sell for nothing.

I do get great Chef levels butchering, but that's it

Is it just a stepping stone?
    • Poon_Hound_4_Eva wrote:

After a few days, I find the raw meat sells for more than the live chickens.

Also, it's 90 carrots to feed a full pasture. Which is over 30k silver if sold.

I only get baby chicks once, and eggs sell for nothing.

I do get great Chef levels butchering, but that's it

Is it just a stepping stone?
      Although carrots and raw chicken sell for about the same price, each chicken gives 20 pieces not 10. The 9 chickens will give 60-70k worth of meat. Also, a hidden cost is in the focus required to raise the carrots or the price of the seed if focus is not used on the carrots.

You are correct about the eggs, Sell off the meat and the excess baby chickens for max income.

Yes, and fame from butchering brings up chef skills very fast. About the easiest way to level these up essentially at no cost since you have to butcher them anyway.

Best thing about raising chickens or as I'm doing sheep, is it takes the least focus points to increase your animal breeding skills. You'll need that to afford the focus needs for raising the mounts and rare animals as they take an immense number of focus points applied multiple times.
      Learn something new every day.
    • Poon_Hound_4_Eva wrote:

So in short, if I'm only interested in made income, chickens is a no dice.
      Unless I plan on doing mounts later. I put up 9 t3 ox yesterday. Hope that is better
      Making money in long term, chickens is not the way to go, but it allows you to lower the focus cost early on . Raising mounts (horses or oxen) takes 3 days of focus to give the 1350 fame when they are harvested. That means it takes 3 times as long to skill-up the breeding levels. I've been farming for over a couple of months, and finally have the unit cost below 500 for each animal. That would take nearly a year raising only mounts. I can now raise 18 animals with the 10k focus points versus 9 at starting cost. Another problem is you have to feed them several days also so more cost per animal.

RKOverdrive wrote:

Yes. Your best bet is to look at T3 Riding horses and T3 Oxen since those two are very common mounts the people find themselves needing (Horse more so then ox since theres more pvp'ers then gatherers and etc.)
      I did the T3 oxen, but did T4 horses instead, overall profit was higher on them at the time I did it. Cost is about the same to raise so check out the cost for babies versus grown animals in your auction house.
    • New

Dont you get more fame per farm on mounts since they take longer to grow, iirc i got 3xfame on 3day animals.
      Also you should just grow whatever animal meat sells most consistently, unless making mounts, since the meat/food/focus/baby ratio is same for every butcherable animal, same for plants. So get your skills up for that one product you want to grow and then focus on it to get focuscosts down and it gets better and better.
    • New

You need to see it as an investment :)
      The most common mistake new island owners do is that they try to do too much.
      Stick to 1 thing either you focus on animal raising, or on growing stuff.
      After you have decided what route you want to take, you have 2 options.
      You can go all in, or just do small scale.
      If you decide to go small scale, start with 2 plot for chickens(goats or whatever u want), and 2 plots for carrots.
      I do not recommend T6 islands, the last plot is not worth 3.7m.
      The rules for sticking to 1 thing is broken here, but the thing is that you can grow carrots without focus and make silver, but long term its not worth it.
      So every day you have 10k focus, use 9k focus on the chickens, yes you really want those baby chickens, save the last 1k focus for later.
      Only fill 1 plot with baby chickens.(if u have 30k focus, by all means fill both plots)
      after 1 cycle, your baby chickens should have turned into chickens, and hopefully they have produced a lot of baby chickens, now you fill the 1st plot with baby chickens, and all the extra baby chickens you put in the next plot, but only as many as you have focus for, yes again u really want to stock pile the baby chickens.
      Over time you focus will get lower, and u can scale up when your focus allows it.
      The big scale model is very simple, go all in 4 plots with baby chickens, rent a few islands or buy them and you will get huge profit in a month or 2, but initial investment cost is very high.
    • New

I started out with a field (9) of carrots. As focus cost dropped, I went to 2 fields (18), then 3 fields. Then started up 1 pasture of chickens using some of the carrots I had accumulated and stopped carrots, When focus cost for chicks dropped enough, I started a new carrot field to feed them, Did change to goats when I could as they seemed more profitable.

Am currently raising 15 goats and 18 carrots to keep them fed daily. Goat meat, extra carrots and seeds, and extra kids brings in over 200k daily and butchering has raised cooking to it's max of 100. Vegetable farming has maxed at 100 and animals is up to 80. When animals reaches 100, I'm going to change over to herbs and add back in the carrots when herb focus cost drops enough to give me extra free focus points.

I plan to eventually have animals, vegetables, and herbs all at 250 focus or less so I can vary what I grow when I want to. Not the highest income maybe, but versatility is great.