Equipment problems late game

• Equipment problems late game

I feel albion is gonna fall into the trap of the typical sandbox game and ruin the crafting economy later on in the game life. From what ive understand gear never disapears unless somone salvages. This is gonna be a problem when everyone has high end gear later on in the game life where they no longer require anything else from crafters. Maybe higher end gears works a little different but from what i see so far playing it i think will be a problem later on.
    Sure if you die in red zones you loose it but it still remains in the game to be Sold on AH or traded later so lets use this as an example 100 people playing the game and all have there tier 8 sword so there 100 sword in game. When somone dies player A might gain a 2nd sword but he has no need for it so in turn he basicly AH it back to player b who lost it so there still 100 sword in the game so there no longer a demand for any off crafters anymore which is where the problem lies.
    Gear needs to eventualy degrade and get removed from the game completly to keep an economy healthy when a gamne keep giving thing (in the form of resources) but doesnt remove the item from those resources over time from the economy your gonna get problems with supply and demand.

I have 2 solutions to this i prefer the last one myself.

Solution 1 (Simple solution but not always the best)
    - Remove the repair mechanic from the game and increase equipment life (Durability) Higher tier gear should last longer than lower tier gear proportional to the time required to aquire the mats to make them

Solution 2 (I feel would be best which comes from a game called Mabinogi)
    - Basicly how this works is repairing works same way as it does now with slight change, Which is every time you repair an item there a small chance that the max durability of that weapon would be reduced so maybe after repairing an item the max durability has a chance to degrade so after a repair it might drop from 100 max dura to 99 or 98 max durability. The more points you repair the higher the chance to loose a point or 2 on the max durability. You could even have tiered repair system in towns so tier 1 might be like 90% chance to loose durability while a tier 5 or somthing station could be 95% success rate however it will cost more to repair that item silver wise.
    -This way items slowly become worst so there a constant demand for replacements and so on for crafters :)
  • Gear can break, and it will eventually.
    Repair works only on items that have at least 1 point of durability, after that it is broken beyond repair.

On death there is a huge durability hit on all of you equipped AND carried items, there also is a chance that your items be trashed instantly.

AO has kind of a PvP focus so dieing is something that happens a lot, not just if the tank did a bad pull.
    (you will lose 40% ~ 60% of your fights)

Assuming you play regularly, I'd say you fully replace your gear every other week.
  • Wolfsspinne wrote:

Gear can break, and it will eventually.
    Repair works only on items that have at least 1 point of durability, after that it is broken beyond repair.

On death there is a huge durability hit on all of you equipped AND carried items, there also is a chance that your items be trashed instantly.

AO has kind of a PvP focus so dieing is something that happens a lot, not just if the tank did a bad pull.
    (you will lose 40% ~ 60% of your fights)

Assuming you play regularly, I'd say you fully replace your gear every other week.

Umm ive had a few tool on 0 Durability just goes u cant use this anymore when i try and chop tree and what not until i repaired it and was all good after that, That was a Tier 3 tool though but ive had 5 at 0 durability and was all good after i repaired them.
  • I don't think the problem is quite as bad as you say.

I can see how this would appear to be a problem during the first week or two of play, but equipment prices on my local market have already dropped dramatically since the alpha began. It's at a point now where it's cheaper to buy a new piece of equipment than to repair what you already have, at least for T3 gear. The longer the game goes on, the more tiers will reach this point of saturation.

I've yet to see it pan out, but I have a feeling that once everyone realises this, the AO economy will become much healthier. People who want equipment will buy rather than repair, crafters will sell rather than salvage, and the flow of goods (liquidity?) through the market will become much stronger.

It's a good thing AO doesn't take place on a finite planet, because with this kind of consumerist throw-away economy, the environment would be headed towards ruin! Just like in real life!
    "Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living." - Morgan Freeman
  • Redbeardt wrote:

It's a good thing AO doesn't take place on a finite planet, because with this kind of consumerist throw-away economy, the environment would be headed towards ruin! Just like in real life!

Who told you that?
    For a gazillion of years nature worked fine in a circle of "take, use and drop".
    Every animal and every plant does that, even rivers and the ocean sea works that way.

Take a thing here, use it there, drop it in another place - and eventually another creature comes by, glad that you dropped a meal right in front of it.

Then came civilization...
    Now nothing touched by men may ever return back to natures circle of life.
  • @Wolfspinne It's like you just repeated what I said and acted as though I didn't say it. *scratches head*
    "Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living." - Morgan Freeman