@SBI Devs: Corrupted Dungeon IP Cap / Repair Costs calculation?

• @SBI Devs: Corrupted Dungeon IP Cap / Repair Costs calculation?

Hi SBI Developers, this is a question I expect only you can answer accurately.

That means players of Albion Online need not post here, unless you are a member of the Round Table, a Chat Moderator or SBI staff member of some kind.

Players do not have access to the behind the scenes math required to understand how this calculation is done.

What I'm asking is:

If a player is using Tier 8 in every slot, and their total average Item Power exceeds the Item Power cap in Corrupted Dungeon (Hunter level)

How do you calculate repair costs on knockdowns?

Does your calculation take into account the equivalent Tier of gear the Item Power cap has reduced the equipped items to, or does the calculation ignore the Item Power cap, and generate repair costs on a Tier 8 sets' knockdown regardless of Item Power cap?

If the calculation only considers the Tier, quality and enchantment of the equipped items, it seems it would make most sense to only equip items that will reach the Item Power cap, as equipping any items that exceed this in Tier, quality or enchantment is wasteful in repair costs, meaning that the player is being charged the same amount as an uncapped knockdown, while having to fight monsters that are more difficult than a Tier 5 solo random dungeon, with equipped items taking a statistic reduction due to an Item Power cap.

Please note: I don't mind if people reply to this if they aren't trolling, which I'm not interested in. This isn't 'Forum Banter', this is 'General Questions & Discussions'.
      » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «

Enough of my hateful comments, I can do better than that. Apologies to anyone I've been abusive towards on this forum in the past. 26 September 2020

The post was edited 3 times, last by PenguinSniper ().

• For some context, the reason I'm asking this question is, yesterday I was bored of making money in game, so I decided to do some Arena.

Did 4 matches, lost 1 of them.

The build I settled on was doing alright and showed some killing potential, so I decided to try it in Corrupted Dungeons. I haven't been in there before yesterday.

I was fighting some mobs, just trying to figure out what I think of it, if the build I had chosen to use was viable for both the PvE & the PvP, but after a while I realised I was very underpowered and the build wasn't right for the PvE.

It lacked the ability to dodge/block quick powershots, which meant there was a lot of defence reduction happening, and my character died 3 times in there. Also I was not using Spirit Spear to conserve energy in case the dungeon got invaded. I could have switched to Lunging Stab/Strike (less energy costs) but I prefer to use Spirit Spear for its range in a PvP situation.

Anyway since I was also carrying a set of gear I had with me in Arena after one of the matches that didn't go well, to counter a tier 8 tank build, my repair costs would not only be for the gear I had equipped, but the second set I was carrying.

I noticed my HP was much lower than it was when outside the dungeon, and it's not only HP that gets reduced with IP cap, its all stats, defence, energy, damage output.

I am aware that Tier 5 solo random dungeons are easier than Tier 4 group dungeons, so I wanted to check if this build I had was able to handle Tier 4 group dungeons, and while it wasn't perfectly suited for it, it was able to handle it without the IP capping.

I'm not going to say "my ability is perfect so I am putting 100% blame on the Ip cap for the 3 knockdowns", I am new to Corrupted Dungeons, was my first try in there, the powershots are faster than what I'm used to (Tier 5 solo random dungeons and Tier 4 group dungeons), so I lack experience in Corrupted Dungeon.

I'm not blaming the IP cap for the knockdowns. Let me make that clear.

BUT

I have a question because of the repair costs, it's difficult for me to know how much of the repair cost I had after was based on the gear I had equipped, or if it's for the gear I was carrying in my inventory also.

If it's for the gear I was carrying in my inventory, that gear is not IP capped since it's not equipped, so I understand if the carried gear has a repair cost that is 100% its uncapped repair cost, but the gear that was IP capped - if that has a repair cost that is 100%, while the IP cap makes its stats less than 100%, that in my opinion is a bad situation.

The only reason people will buy high tier gear is for the higher stats, and with that they accept the higher repair costs.

So that means stats and repair costs are directly linked financially, and in my opinion should be directly linked in game.

What that means is, since the stats on equipped items can change, the repair costs should ALSO change.

How can you have FIXED repair costs and VARIABLE stats?

Does that make sense? No. That's STUPID. It should be RELATIVE. As stats change, repair cost calculations should also change.

If you reduce the stats of a tier 8 piece to equal the stats of a Tier 4 piece, the repair costs incurred during the stat nerf should be equal to Tier 4 gear.

I;m not talking about a repair cost incurred when there is no stat nerf from an IP cap, I'm talking about knockdowns during an IP cap.

They shouldn't be Tier 8 repair costs if the stats are not Tier 8 during the knockdown.

If you're going to change our stats because of IP capping, why are you not changing our repair costs accordingly?

If I'm wrong, please advise me of that @ SBI Devs.

Thanks
      » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «

Enough of my hateful comments, I can do better than that. Apologies to anyone I've been abusive towards on this forum in the past. 26 September 2020

The post was edited 3 times, last by PenguinSniper ().

• +1

This is a great question and some great science.

My bet is that repair cost is calculated at the repair NPC at the time of repair, based on % durability loss on each item. So loss incurred while "IP capped" would not make any difference vs loss incurred while "uncapped."

A solution may be to make an item take less of a durability % hit when "IP capped", but I am not in the know as to what all goes into those calculations.

I checked once, a while ago, on a gathering tool. It was less expensive to buy a new one than to repair my nearly broken one. I realize the prices of items varies day to day, but I found that interesting. I have not done the same comparison on other items or the same tool since. Just thought I would throw that in for your science.

To be fair, you do gain some higher stats for over gearing, they are just less than normal. At least I assume you do in CD I have never verified. This it probably to deter people from greatly over gearing content. I know I started to run only the gear/IP I felt I needed for content after I had the same realization as you have had here.
      Are you a PvPer or a RAT? Take my PvP Challenge and find out!
    • Draedark wrote:

I think what the root of the question is that since in some content, you get T4-like performance out of T8 gear, is it fair to have to pay T8 repair bills.
      In corrupted dungeons - yes, absolutely fair.
      You overpay for the choice of outgearing your average opponents.

On the other side the arena should have been IP hard capped years ago.

From a development point, repairs are a very efficient silver sink and i doubt it will be changed in the near future.
    • Draedark wrote:

MadSkillzDLR wrote:

Wtf... Repair costs are based on the item, not how the durability was lost. What's wrong with that? Seems pretty fair and obvious
      I think what the root of the question is that since in some content, you get T4-like performance out of T8 gear, is it fair to have to pay T8 repair bills.
      If you’re getting T4 performance then just take T4 gear and enjoy the lower repair costs.
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Midgard wrote:

Draedark wrote:

MadSkillzDLR wrote:

Wtf... Repair costs are based on the item, not how the durability was lost. What's wrong with that? Seems pretty fair and obvious
      If you’re getting T4 performance then just take T4 gear and enjoy the lower repair costs.
      I acknowledge this and mention it (indirectly) in my original response that this is what I do, so this is more of a solution instead of an answer to the OP, but thanks.

Gank wrote:

Draedark wrote:

MadSkillzDLR wrote:

So...just bring t4...?
      I acknowledge this and mention it (indirectly) in my original response that this is what I do, so this is more of a solution instead of an answer to the OP, but thanks.
    • Draedark wrote:

Piddle wrote:

So having high spec should make all your repair costs go up? Because that is what we think is important, being taxed on effective IP?
      Interesting, is this how it works currently? Repair costs being calculated based on % durability loss vs your effective IP?
      I guess repair mule alt would be needed to test this.
      No. It isn't. You pay a % of the IV based on durability loss and then reduced by the global discount.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
      Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
    • Piddle wrote:

Draedark wrote:

Piddle wrote:

So having high spec should make all your repair costs go up? Because that is what we think is important, being taxed on effective IP?
      Interesting, is this how it works currently? Repair costs being calculated based on % durability loss vs your effective IP?I guess repair mule alt would be needed to test this.
      No. It isn't. You pay a % of the IV based on durability loss and then reduced by the global discount.
      That is what I thought. I have been too lazy to verify this with an alt/mule but it makes the most sense. Thank you.