Question about bow support build

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about bow support build

When it comes to avalonian raids, HCE and random dungeon i often see the regular bow paired with royal jacket/hunter jacket and royal cowl (for energy regeneration) and piercing arrows passive on the bow itself.

If I wanted to use assassin hood/specter hood for the quicker/instant cooldowns, would the loss of piercing arrows in favor of energetic passive (on the bow, due to not using royal cowl anymore) be compensated by the higher damage/support output of having fast CD? Or is piercing arrows the best passive possible?

For example if I was using specter hood with the royal jacket, I could literally double the buff to my teammates, but at the expense of not using piercing arrows (and the debuff it applies to the mob) and use energetic instead in order to sustain those doubled cooldowns. How does it sound?

Thanks

The post was edited 2 times, last by teopower89 ().

• Can't say for everyone, but I think assassin hood paired with regular bow is pretty lackluster. If you're using a t7 omelet and the CDR in your jacket, you're not going to wait for long in order to keep using your E. When your enchanted arrows are over, usually so is your CD. The only problem comes from the possible lack of mana (hence the royal cowl). Depending on the other passives in your armor pieces, the omelet isn't even needed and you can use a t8 stew.

Assassin hood is better paired with E abilities that not only have a higher CD, but are also quicker, like the longbow's "rain of arrows", which end pretty soon and then your whole damage kind of ends with it.

As for specter hood, the bonus damage is pretty good, but it only applies to yourself, meanwhile, your passive "piercing arrows" amplifies all the damage the mob receives (yours and your terammate's).

So, it's like you're trading a 20% bonus damage for you to a 7,844%** bonus damage for your entire team. If you subtract 20-7,844 you actually only get 12,156% more damage that only applies to yourself, that's why specter hood (and hunter jacket) is not used often aside from ganking (or trying to solo group dgs using a bow build), and people tend to stick to the royal cowl/royal jacket (for CDR and bonus AS for your team) and the "piercing arrows" passive in high end content vs stronger mobs (such as HCE and avalonian raids).

**That's the max stacks (4) for a 100/700 bow user, at least, so the number could be lower for you.

Hope this helps.
    • Loholt wrote:

Can't say for everyone, but I think assassin hood paired with regular bow is pretty lackluster. If you're using a t7 omelet and the CDR in your jacket, you're not going to wait for long in order to keep using your E. When your enchanted arrows are over, usually so is your CD. The only problem comes from the possible lack of mana (hence the royal cowl). Depending on the other passives in your armor pieces, the omelet isn't even needed and you can use a t8 stew.

Assassin hood is better paired with E abilities that not only have a higher CD, but are also quicker, like the longbow's "rain of arrows", which end pretty soon and then your whole damage kind of ends with it.

As for specter hood, the bonus damage is pretty good, but it only applies to yourself, meanwhile, your passive "piercing arrows" amplifies all the damage the mob receives (yours and your terammate's).

So, it's like you're trading a 20% bonus damage for you to a 7,844%** bonus damage for your entire team. If you subtract 20-7,844 you actually only get 12,156% more damage that only applies to yourself, that's why specter hood (and hunter jacket) is not used often aside from ganking (or trying to solo group dgs using a bow build), and people tend to stick to the royal cowl/royal jacket (for CDR and bonus AS for your team) and the "piercing arrows" passive in high end content vs stronger mobs (such as HCE and avalonian raids).

**That's the max stacks (4) for a 100/700 bow user, at least, so the number could be lower for you.

Hope this helps.
      The point of using the assassin hood is simply to use a cheap version of the specter hood, it had nothing to do with the E of the bow. It's mostly to reset/reduce the cooldown of chest spell.
      I appreciate you doing the math, but your assumption is that I would use the hunter jacket in a group but I'd use the royal jacket instead.
      So let me ask a direct question to you:
      A) specter hood, royal jacket, bow with energy passive
      OR
      B) royal cowl, royal jacket, bow with piercing arrows?
      Which one offers the most support?
      A allows me to use chest spell twice as much, which is of great help for the team.
      B on the other hand has better debuff on the mobs.
    • It's an interesting thought, but the more you are standing still channeling the assassin hood, the less time you are doing damage and applying your passive.

In that case, specter hood is way better, since you only have to press 1 button and reset the CD of the jacket.

Both are viable options, and I think it boils down to personal preference. My take is that if you intend to go full support it is best to use option B, since you'll not only be supporting their CDR and AS (jacket) but also their damage (with passive).

You can mitigate that by going option A with piercing arrows passive and using a lymhurst cape for the mana issue (instead of the usual demonic or bridgewatch), or have someone using druid cowl (or even both).

If you intend to give the jacket buff twice to your team, it'd depend on it's compsition to take full effect (again, IMO), like one huge damage spell that'd be awersome to be used often and that has a CD so long that it'd benefit entirely from the CDR being used on it twice.

In case you have a team already, my suggestion is that you try both builds to have a feeling for them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Loholt ().