Population Update: September 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'd really like a further explanation of what is mean by "we've set our sights on an expansion of the Royal Continent. The ongoing growth of the player base has made Albion's blue, yellow and red zones fuller than ever, and we're currently hard at work on a comprehensive plan to expand these Royal zones".

To me expanding the royal continent means adding more zones but later saying you plan to expand zones means making each individual zone larger so which is it or both?. Also I notice Black Zones are not mentioned, is this to mean no expansion is planned for that area? Is there plans to add additional royal cities?
    • Congrats,

It's a great success for SBI, but the downside is that we have now so much instanced content the open world is pretty much vast and empty, even considering growing population.

Reasons for that are many, but most of them come down to the single reason - hideouts and corrupted dungeons. While i can't really blame players to enjoy single mode game, the invisibility shrine and disconnection between open world and pvp content is having major impact on the original game style - hardcore, open world, full loot MMO.

Example gameplay for majority of the server in recent weeks:

PvE (solo):

Travelling from the city taking bubble and shrine, going to the tunnel, from tunnels it's usually 1/4 of cluster length to another portal and bubble.
      Then from the portal we have usually 1/4 or less map to our first friendly hideout/territory/castle/outpost. This continues,

Further we are from the city zones, the safer it is, hideouts are everywhere so there are usually very few moments when we don't have a hideout closer than 1/2 of the cluster, so including entrances we barely have any moment with 'bubble available' in less than 1/4th on the map.

When you reach your destination hideout, you just bank your gear, head to the dungeon which is always on the same cluster, usually close to one of your hideout or map portal. You either wait 90seconds to be fully instanced, or simply go FF with risk of being invaded, but if you have decent set you will be able to go back to the dungeon entrance if invaded by less than three players, then you mount up and go back to safe haven, your hideout.

PvP (solo):

You jump out from the city through black zone portal, you take shrine, enter corrupted dungeon at no risk. Corrupted dungeons could be located in cities, doesn't really matter.

PvE (large group):

You head with 20 man group, usually close to friendly hideouts, there's risk but you'd have to be ganked by a larger zerg which does not 'zerg up' on the map as you'd simply spread and runaway from any zerg's seen.
      You enter avalon dungeon with scout inside/outside, once you breach first gate you are again in almost instanced pve mode. Pretty much no risk involved. Then you go back to home with the same mindset, barely any risk involved.

Pve (small group):

HCE lvls 15 - good fame/ profit / no risk involved, low entry level as 8.3 relics are cheap. No risk involved, fully instanced mode.

ZvZ: travel with whole zerg, bank in a hideout map/two maps away from the battle, regear safely and spend most of the time in cluster queue. Long travels (like from hotshadow to bleak moore) are no longer a thing, making it completely safe way to rejoin zvz. By the way, this also is a reason behind large cluster queue times.

What i'm trying to communicate here, is that albion is losing it's character with numerous of changes that were supposed to diminish risk of solo/small players group to roam the world. Now with the roads and corrupteds the vast lands of avalon are very very empty, nobody's there or if there is anyone they always have safe haven nearby. If not hideout, the map portal, if not map portal then roads which also give bubble protection.

Most activities have lost the risk factor, compared to previous versions of albion (pre-queen for instance). I hope this post is at least enough concern to follow up on the design and roadmap, do we really want to continue this road and basically kill the open world aspect of this game, which has always involved great risk and feeling it created? Since we have pretty fair solo player content, we should be lowering 'safety' everywhere else with hideouts rework which impacts almost all the game, in my humble opinion, negatively.

Please consider changing how people can access hideouts and how many hideouts are in the game, maybe the length of bubble and overall game concept. As always I tried to stay objective, but this is of course based on my own point of view as a player who's been here since the release,

Cheers
    • glokz wrote:

It's a great success for SBI, but the downside is that we have now so much instanced content the open world is pretty much vast and empty, even considering growing population.

Reasons for that are many, but most of them come down to the single reason - hideouts and corrupted dungeons. While i can't really blame players to enjoy single mode game, the invisibility shrine and disconnection between open world and pvp content is having major impact on the original game style - hardcore, open world, full loot MMO.

Further we are from the city zones, the safer it is, hideouts are everywhere so there are usually very few moments when we don't have a hideout closer than 1/2 of the cluster, so including entrances we barely have any moment with 'bubble available' in less than 1/4th on the map.

When you reach your destination hideout, you just bank your gear, head to the dungeon which is always on the same cluster, usually close to one of your hideout or map portal. You either wait 90seconds to be fully instanced, or simply go FF with risk of being invaded, but if you have decent set you will be able to go back to the dungeon entrance if invaded by less than three players, then you mount up and go back to safe haven, your hideout.
      I'd like to address a few things you mentioned for clarity. The open world being empty due to people enjoying instanced content more than open world doesn't seem like a problem. Open world combat, even ganking is still going strong despite these changes. Corrupted dungeons is the pinnacle of pvp.

There are very few guilds/allilances with hideouts on every biome even and the bubble lasts maybe 1/10th of the zone to stop portal gankers. I would say most guilds are smaller and have 1 or 0 hideouts themselves. You are suggesting that solo players should have no escape options after being invaded and that dungeons not be on every map?

Albion makes changes with community in mind and the community clearly finds non-consensual pvp a bad thing, on the other hand Albion provides tons of opportunities for PvP against other players that want to PvP. I wouldn't be suprised if they implement something similar to WoW where you turn pvp mode on or off in cities so only players that want to take that risk of dying have to for increased loot % or fame probably
    • glokz wrote:

Parabéns,

PvE (solo):

Travelling from the city taking bubble and shrine, going to the tunnel, from tunnels it's usually 1/4 of cluster length to another portal and bubble.
      Then from the portal we have usually 1/4 or less map to our first friendly hideout/territory/castle/outpost. This continues,

PvP (solo):

You jump out from the city through black zone portal, you take shrine, enter corrupted dungeon at no risk. Corrupted dungeons could be located in cities, doesn't really matter.

PvE (large group):

You head with 20 man group, usually close to friendly hideouts, there's risk but you'd have to be ganked by a larger zerg which does not 'zerg up' on the map as you'd simply spread and runaway from any zerg's seen.
      You enter avalon dungeon with scout inside/outside, once you breach first gate you are again in almost instanced pve mode. Pretty much no risk involved. Then you go back to home with the same mindset, barely any risk involved.

Pve (small group):

HCE lvls 15 - good fame/ profit / no risk involved, low entry level as 8.3 relics are cheap. No risk involved, fully instanced mode.

ZvZ: travel with whole zerg, bank in a hideout map/two maps away from the battle, regear safely and spend most of the time in cluster queue. Long travels (like from hotshadow to bleak moore) are no longer a thing, making it completely safe way to rejoin zvz. By the way, this also is a reason behind large cluster queue times.

What i'm trying to communicate here, is that albion is losing it's character with numerous of changes that were supposed to diminish risk of solo/small players group to roam the world. Now with the roads and corrupteds the vast lands of avalon are very very empty, nobody's there or if there is anyone they always have safe haven nearby. If not hideout, the map portal, if not map portal then roads which also give bubble protection.

Most activities have lost the risk factor, compared to previous versions of albion (pre-queen for instance). I hope this post is at least enough concern to follow up on the design and roadmap, do we really want to continue this road and basically kill the open world aspect of this game, which has always involved great risk and feeling it created? Since we have pretty fair solo player content, we should be lowering 'safety' everywhere else with hideouts rework which impacts almost all the game, in my humble opinion, negatively.

Please consider changing how people can access hideouts and how many hideouts are in the game, maybe the length of bubble and overall game concept. As always I tried to stay objective, but this is of course based on my own point of view as a player who's been here since the release,

Cheers
      Yes, I am also happy with the addition of players. But PvP needs a little attention at the moment, a lot of intance content makes these numbers of players inconsistent with what we encounter daily. i'm lover of open world content.
    • Gunnar216 wrote:

I'd really like a further explanation of what is mean by "we've set our sights on an expansion of the Royal Continent. The ongoing growth of the player base has made Albion's blue, yellow and red zones fuller than ever, and we're currently hard at work on a comprehensive plan to expand these Royal zones".

To me expanding the royal continent means adding more zones but later saying you plan to expand zones means making each individual zone larger so which is it or both?. Also I notice Black Zones are not mentioned, is this to mean no expansion is planned for that area? Is there plans to add additional royal cities?
      The wording might be confusing here. Expanding the royal continent would mean adding more zones. One thing to keep in mind here is that we've hinted at reworking & improving the faction warfare system, which takes place on the Royal continent and can make good use of the extra space created.
    • If you are complaining about "less" OW PvP this literally is you saying you don't have as many solo dudes to gang bang anymore. PvP in general is at all time highs because now more people are constantly participating in fair fight environments. Ganking being the main contributer of PvP never made sense most of PvP should come from playing content. Being they have 0 way to provide anywhere near fair fight encounters in the open world for small scale instance content is the way to go.
    • Calesvol wrote:

Number of active accounts for a free to play game in which anyone can create an account and log in means absolutely nothing to me. Give us the number of active subscribers and/or those who bought gold per month.

How many people are actually bankrolling this game versus sucking from the teat.
      Why does that need to be public - what difference will it make to you? While I'm a paid-up subscriber who admittedly gets irked by non-premium players complaining about their lack of benefits, I realise that there are many, many F2P players that still contribute much to the game. Yes I'm sick of all the beggers in the cities, but for every one player begging, you can bet there's fifty out there gathering resources, spending the silver they earn, losing stuff to gankers and just generally contributing to the economy with their time instead of cash.
    • glokz wrote:

Congrats,

PvE (solo):

PvP (solo):

PvE (large group):

Pve (small group):

Cheers
      imo, removal of the invis is a bad idea. While i wish green dungeons were changed from 90 seconds to 5 minutes, and for the most part this is instance pvp... the zergs that camp portals and zone entrys/exits with 20 people already on foot waiting to 20v1 is completly stupid. i would only agree open world should be a thing if claws were nerfed into the ground.