Mistakes ALL NEW PLAYERS FALL FOR. Big List of Scams, Traps, and Pitfalls to Watch Out For.

• Mistakes ALL NEW PLAYERS FALL FOR. Big List of Scams, Traps, and Pitfalls to Watch Out For.

Hey guys, just wanted to drop off a guide to help all the new players out so they'll stop falling for scams, money pits, and other things that cause them to quit or give up their first week. Hopefully this helps some of you lads out to not fall victim to things that are obvious to more seasoned players.

Video link if you want to just listen to me talk about these instead of reading a gigantic wall of text:

Avoid Joining a Guild
      When you start out, tons of people will send you invites to join a guild. Turn off guild invites in the options menu. The reason you don't want to join a guild as a new player is because they will use you for free silver via taxes. Every silver pile you loot, a percentage will go to the guild master. Also, anything you do will reward challenge points to the guild, and the guild master will take all the siphoned energy you've earned for the guild and sell it.
      As a new player you should form your own guild, level it up a few times to get siphoned energy, and sell it. Then disband and re-form your guild after the cooldown to get more. Early silver is very important.

Repair Benches
      Every city has a publicly owned 0% fee repair bench. Usually somewhere near the bank or market entrances, away from the player owned buildings. However, some players will place down a repair bench with a 999% upcharge. If you're new and repair at one of these benches then you'll be paying way more than you should.

Silver Dueling
      This is being fixed in a patch, but turn off duels as someone could send a duel request for silver. Basically if you win the duel you'll receive the silver that is wagered. If you're randomly clicking around town to move and you happen to click accept right when it pops up, you're out money.
      Also naked players will advertise that they are "giving away" free silver, and to accept the duel request. These naked players will quickly swap to a gear set that counters whatever you have on and defeat you, stealing the silver wagered.

Risking Expensive Gear

As a new player you should NEVER risk gear you aren't willing to lose 20 times over. Do NOT take expensive mounts, items, or anything into the red or black zones. Do not take expensive gear into the avalonian roads. Do not faction flag up with your dungeon farming set because you will be scouted and tracked down by hunting parties for your gear. Do not take your 200 stack of journals out either.
      Honestly as a new player you shouldn't even risk early sets until you get a feel for the game. You're literally free money to anyone with a month of play time. Save your cash and invest in housing and farm plots or premium for the time being.

Don't all-in your money.
      Never spend your entire net worth on something. It could be nerfed, or you could lose profit, or lack the funds to liquidate. Do not spend all your money on housing or islands. Make sure to have some fall back cash and assets, or else you'll be running around with no mount, naked, picking up rough stones for hours to get up and running again.

Don't overinvest in buy orders.
      As tempting as it may be to undercut every single buy order on the market then immediately undercut every sell order, just know that you're just one person, and you'll have to undercut 500,000 other players. If you place too many buy and sell orders, you're going to spend your entire day managing them, and every time you alter the price you pay a re-listing fee. You can start to sink hundreds of thousands of silver per hour if you go overboard.

Buying a "Perfect Set."
      As cool as it is to have a full 5.3 masterpiece set to ride around with, it's not as useful as it is costly. You'll also either replace the set or will never be able to sell the set back within a reasonable amount of time. I see LOTS of newbies with 4.3 masterpiece sets, and honestly it takes a few tomes to hit tier 5, and maybe a few hours to hit tier 6 tops. Don't waste your money.

Investing in dead markets.
      You don't want to invest or build your character around a dead market if you're just starting out. If you were to spend the majority of your time gathering, crafting, and leveling demolition hammer specialty, you'll never make a dime. They just never sell. Instead invest into something with a "fast movers" market. Or rather... something that sells quickly and often in large quantities that doesn't take too much effort to get into.
      I make Albion tutorial videos and have the 2nd result for SEO currently. 13,000 subscribers and counting.
      https://www.youtube.com/swolebenji

The post was edited 2 times, last by SwoleBenji ().

• Respeccing Fame Credits
      Respeccing can get very costly at high levels. Just to spec out of 100 levels is 9 million. A lot of players don't check the cost before committing and wonder where their silver went. Also unspeccing only gives you 4/5ths of the fame totals so I don't really see that it's worth it, as those weapons that were recently nerfed might be buffed or fine tuned in the future.

Renting Islands / Farm Plots
      If you can find an honest guy, sure, rent away. However, most of these are scams. You'll pay a guy for some housing plots, spend several million building the house up, then suddenly the island owner revokes access and keeps your house + furniture + laborers + any items in the chests. The best thing to do is never rent.

Not Shopping Around
      Some players will simply buy their expensive 8.3 set from the city they frequent most. This is a mistake. You should get naked and fast travel to every city and check the prices on each market. It can save you millions. Using fast travel with the purchased items is far cheaper than the market costs of some items. If one town has a bow for 3 million and in your hometown the bow costs 5 million, then why not pay a 5,000 silver fee to transport the 3 million bow back? Only takes a few minutes.

Black Market Flipping
      The problem with black market flipping is if you make an expensive purchase to flip for profit and someone else beats you to the sale, you're stuck with an expensive item you won't sell anytime soon. Also you're competing against private API's which do all the research and legwork. In a game of 500,000 you generally won't win.
      Even if you manage to flip for hours one bad purchase can ruin you. Also you can mess up doing it manually by buying a similarly named item "Dagger" vs "Dagger pair" both show up when you search "dagger" and if you're sleep deprived or not paying attention you're stuck with a nerfed weapon that'll never sell.

Not Doing The Math

Due to how the game delivers silver, you can be deceived at how much profit you actually make sometimes. It's best to keep a ledger when trying new markets. Write down every single silver you spend, and write down every single silver you profit, and see if there was a net-gain. Sometimes fees, travel times, taxes, can all add up against your favor.
      Don't try to cope and say "Well it leveled my crafting up" because if it's not worth doing now, it'll never be worth doing unless the market changes. With how long the game's been out and how many people have advanced, you're struggling against an ever growing mountain. Do the math, if you lose, move on to other markets.

Trade Scams
      Be weary of anyone trying to sell an item. They can close the trade window, re-open it, plop down a different item, and then take your silver. Also anyone who advertises "I will buy X item from Y city for millions" is trying to get you to buy their stock in that city. They won't actually buy it from you once you buy the items and transport it to where they're at. There's tons of transport mammoth players with private API's that do this all day. Sure rarely some rich kid or whale will buy out a commodity, but just wait 10-20 minutes and the mammoths will roll in with a resupply.

Don't Rely On Public APIs
      A public API should be used as a hint or guide. Not an absolute. Most public API's are much further behind the private ones, and if you don't double check the data the API provides you could be making an investment that's already crashed. Use them as a reference, not a truth telling get rich quick machine.

Satchels of Insight
      The cost of these per fame is being nerfed, but even still they are far too expensive to use. These items are meant for rich veterans of the game to quickly fame up while blowing their silver. As a new player dungeons shouldn't be draining your money, they should be supplèmenting it. I was burning around 500,000+ silver per hour doing solo group dungeons and only saving myself about 9 hours tops to fame up to 100. These are a huge money drain for new players. Avoid them.

Idle Money
      The price of gold went up 25% from last year. If you're sitting on a fortune of silver. Invest it! Invest it into anything and everything. Diversify your portfolio. Even if your investment is dead end, it could be buffed in a future update! (Looking at you, mercenary laborers.) Don't invest ALL your money, but invest enough into housing, farm plot alts, gold, items being buffed in patch notes, cheap runes, anything. I personally like to invest in housing, as they pay for themselves after X amount of days and if I ever "go broke" I can just demolish the house and sell the raw materials, which due to inflation will be worth more than when I bought it.

Thanks for reading this guide. I got a youtube channel and plan to crank out a bunch more Albion Online content for you lads. Hope it helped. If anyone else has scams or pitfalls new players fall into, please feel free to post 'em.
      I make Albion tutorial videos and have the 2nd result for SEO currently. 13,000 subscribers and counting.
    • nice guide for starting player. I would had : keep your learning point for gathering skill ( and focus on one ) since combat skill are lot more easy to grind then gathering. And maxing as soon as possible 1 gathering is good way to start making some good money. I can easilly pay my subs in few day with hide gathering t7-t8 and refinning it. And dont let your focus reach 30k since you not keep accumulate them after that.
    • Thanks Benji.

Been watching your content on YouTube here and there, ended up using your Rough Stone tip for a second toon to get a little nestegg going.

Some of these are pretty universal, and you can find similar scams in EVE and other PvP MMOs.

Thanks for the bit about the satchel, nearly gave one to my roomie to help him level, would have killed his wallet, though.

Keep it up, buddy, nicely done.
    • Poon_Hound_4_Eva wrote:

So this is why I ran into duel requests yesterday along with "selling X" inside the market.
      Sadly, you're attempt to help, simply spurred a bunch of scam attempts as ppl are now actively trying these scams out. I kid you not.
      These scams have been abundant since before Benji conceived of this post. His attempt to help didn't spur anything.

I remember the first scammer I ran up to. We dueled and I won 20k+... He raised the stakes and fortunately I didn't have enough money to accept his wager so I just walked away with my new found 20k+ while he donned his t7 gear and went on to scamming others.
      Good times.
      You're most definitely pronouncing my nick wrong... wait till you see my real name tho.
    • One easy way to cash in on a new island is the 'Rough Logs'. There are 11 trees on the island which give 50 logs each for 850 total and they respawn rapidly. Harvest a set, go to town and just sell them (6-10K generally for the instant sell) and when you come back to the island rinse-and-repeat.
      Learn something new every day.
    • Geofors wrote:

One easy way to cash in on a new island is the 'Rough Logs'. There are 11 trees on the island which give 50 logs each for 850 total and they respawn rapidly. Harvest a set, go to town and just sell them (6-10K generally for the instant sell) and when you come back to the island rinse-and-repeat.

But do they respawn at 50 logs? Normally trees respawn at 10
    • Poon_Hound_4_Eva wrote:

Geofors wrote:

One easy way to cash in on a new island is the 'Rough Logs'. There are 11 trees on the island which give 50 logs each for 850 total and they respawn rapidly. Harvest a set, go to town and just sell them (6-10K generally for the instant sell) and when you come back to the island rinse-and-repeat.

They do respawn at 10 but if you leave the island they grow up rapidly. I harvested them, went to auction to sell them (14450 silver at 17 per) and returned 15 minutes later, and they were all up to 50 again.
    • Geofors wrote:

Poon_Hound_4_Eva wrote:

Geofors wrote:

They do respawn at 10 but if you leave the island they grow up rapidly. I harvested them, went to auction to sell them (14450 silver at 17 per) and returned 15 minutes later, and they were all up to 50 again.
      I may be wrong, but I think they're on a rolling timer that just counts down and resets perpetually, regardless of if the node has been harvested or not. So the respawn time depends on where that timer was when you harvested.
    • SHARKY wrote:

Geofors wrote:

Poon_Hound_4_Eva wrote:

Geofors wrote:

I may be wrong, but I think they're on a rolling timer that just counts down and resets perpetually, regardless of if the node has been harvested or not. So the respawn time depends on where that timer was when you harvested.
      I have no idea what criteria sets the respawn and regrowth time of these trees, but it is quite fast,

I did a trial of 4 harvests with between times of 21, 17, and 23 minutes ( took harvesting trips around Hytor to kill time) and in all cases trees wewe back to 50/50. Made 71,400 silver in a bit over an hour.. Price was lower on last load.
    • Removed because mods think anything I say breaks the rules so I'm just gonna delete ALL my posts and not bother communicating here anymore.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SwoleBenji ().

• Removed because mods think anything I say breaks the rules so I'm just gonna delete ALL my posts and not bother communicating here anymore.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SwoleBenji ().