Albion doesn't need gankers

• Albion doesn't need gankers

Albion doesn't need gankers. They only drive good players away.

The fact that most people prefer to stay in the yellow zones is a strong indication that this game would attract and retain a lot more players if PKing wasn't a thing.

I suspect that in the long run, Albion tends to attract the most toxic and sociopathic individuals that society has to offer, people who find pleasure in taking advantage of others in an unfair way.

While gathering and crafting is fun, losing everything you carried in an unfair fight is not. The real world economy doesn't need pirates to survive, just like the Albion economy doesn't need gankers to survive. All zones should be blue except for the Black Zone.

I was going to buy premium, but I'm going to put my money elsewhere, for now.
    • Albion doesn't need gankers true. But Albion must have the option for gankers. Tomorrow every player could decide to not pvp and we all live in harmony.

In truth it is the decision that is important. Albion may not need gankers but it needs the choice to become one.

Otherwise we are just playong a slightly better Runescape
      For the glory of Fort Sterling and the hammers of her forge.
    • Albion does need gankers.

I am not ganking myself, so I am usually the "victim", but I still like gankers because they make the game fun for me. They bring additional danger and excitement, allow a risk vs reward calculation etc. Game would be quite boring if I could just walk in the highest zone with the most expensive gear and kill everything with no risk involved.

Albion is one of the very few games where gankers are actually good for the game. Not just fun for the gankers, but making the game better for everyone. That is because here it feels actually fair, especially since the new solo dungeon mechanic. In most cases you can avoid being ganked. Bring the right gear, know what you are doing, calculate the possible gains of an action with the expected loss due to ganks.
      And if I dont feel like bothering with that... well there is always yellow zones to be perfectly safe.

Gankers would be bad if they would pose an unfair risk. Thankfully the devs here seem to really understand that concept.
    • Sevardos wrote:

I am not ganking myself, so I am usually the "victim", but I still like gankers because they make the game fun for me. They bring additional danger and excitement, allow a risk vs reward calculation etc. Game would be quite boring if I could just walk in the highest zone with the most expensive gear and kill everything with no risk involved.

Albion is one of the very few games where gankers are actually good for the game. Not just fun for the gankers, but making the game better for everyone. That is because here it feels actually fair, especially since the new solo dungeon mechanic. In most cases you can avoid being ganked. Bring the right gear, know what you are doing, calculate the possible gains of an action with the expected loss due to ganks.
      True, me too I like gankers, because without them, trade couldn't be exiting and profitable, economy would be broken, because no gear may be destroy to make craft and gathering profitable, even safe PvE may suffer from the inflation caused by the end of the most important of the activity destroying silver, trade tax. Gankers are something non-gankers dislike, but Albion need them.
    • Ganking is important, just the crim system is completely garbage... the worst thing SBI ever did was copy the crim system from Eve, with these multiple zone types.

It's super stupid that you can flag, kill a guy, chill for 3 mins, enter town, stash the gear you stole, /suicide, unflag... the guards saw you killing a dude, now you are just "unflagging"?

IMO players should all be "blue"... if you kill someone you become red. Red players can be attacked by anyone anywhere(except in towns) and they are not protected by guards.

A red player can become blue again as their kills decay (1 kill/day or something) or by paying a large sum of silver/kill.

Red players would be able to kill people anywhere, but as a drawback they cant just "unflag" at will... being a PK is a path you take in the game and it's hard to go back to blue.

With this PKs can have fun as long as they commit to being outlaw, and blues will have protection because most players will be blue... every zone would be a PvP zone, but most players would be blue and there would be an incentive to behave yourself. Are you sure you want to attack that guy? That single kill is 1 day as a PK, are you sure you want to hide for 1 day just to kill that guy?

Then you can also have the criminal status, like attacking another player but not killing it or stealing loot from a body will make you gray for 10 minutes or something... if you attack someone you become gray and the other player can defend himself and kill you... if you steal a body other blues can attack you.

That's it, no need for zones or flagging... most players will be blue, killing another blue every now and then and waiting for the kill to decay... some players will really commit to PKing and will be red forever, they will be able to have their fun but there is no safe zones for them.

Now there are no incentives to not kill another player, specially in the black zones.

3 status, blue, red, gray, thats it... ganking is awesome as long as you implement the crim system right, in Albion there are no drawbacks to killing other players.
    • Devastate wrote:

Ganking is important, just the crim system is completely garbage... the worst thing SBI ever did was copy the crim system from Eve, with these multiple zone types.

It's super stupid that you can flag, kill a guy, chill for 3 mins, enter town, stash the gear you stole, /suicide, unflag... the guards saw you killing a dude, now you are just "unflagging"?

IMO players should all be "blue"... if you kill someone you become red. Red players can be attacked by anyone anywhere(except in towns) and they are not protected by guards.

A red player can become blue again as their kills decay (1 kill/day or something) or by paying a large sum of silver/kill.

Red players would be able to kill people anywhere, but as a drawback they cant just "unflag" at will... being a PK is a path you take in the game and it's hard to go back to blue.

With this PKs can have fun as long as they commit to being outlaw, and blues will have protection because most players will be blue... every zone would be a PvP zone, but most players would be blue and there would be an incentive to behave yourself. Are you sure you want to attack that guy? That single kill is 1 day as a PK, are you sure you want to hide for 1 day just to kill that guy?

Then you can also have the criminal status, like attacking another player but not killing it or stealing loot from a body will make you gray for 10 minutes or something... if you attack someone you become gray and the other player can defend himself and kill you... if you steal a body other blues can attack you.

That's it, no need for zones or flagging... most players will be blue, killing another blue every now and then and waiting for the kill to decay... some players will really commit to PKing and will be red forever, they will be able to have their fun but there is no safe zones for them.

Now there are no incentives to not kill another player, specially in the black zones.

3 status, blue, red, gray, thats it... ganking is awesome as long as you implement the crim system right, in Albion there are no drawbacks to killing other players.
      the problem then would be that big dik gankers would go into newbie zones and mass kill the new players