That makes more sense...

• That makes more sense...

Decided to try out Dark Souls 3 today.

I know it's a popular game, some friends from the Skyrim community have told me how much they love it,

Made a new character, started the 'tutorial area' and had to check the keybindings in the menu to figure out what button does what.

Then as you walk forward the messages on the ground tell you what button does what, anyway.

You fight a monster, and after you kill it, there's a message on the floor that tells you how to block.

If you lost any health on the previous fight, it doesn't auto regenerate, it just stays low until you die and respawn.

After dying, I found it a little easier once I figured out you can hold block while performing a light slash or heavy attack.

Locking on to a new target is a must or you'll miss most attacks and end up in a bad position.

I'm sure lots of you have played Dark Souls 3, and lots of you love the game.

But my personal response was, "I hate this game."

So I removed it from my favorites in steam, and deleted the desktop shortcut.

I don't know if I'll ever go back to it, but I doubt it.

But then I wondered if anyone else had ever thought what I thought, and I googled that.

steamcommunity.com/app/374320/…350532795328696817/?ctp=3

Voden, 5 Jun, 2016 @ 5:30am: "I really really hate this series.
      Bought Dark Souls 1. Frustrating as hell, didn't get anywhere with it.
      Bought Dark Souls 2. Frustrating as hell, only cleared one area (Heide's Tower of Flame).
      Bought Dark Souls 3. Played it for an hour and a half and refunded it because of that ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t first tutorial boss. WTF, so goddamn hard, this is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t.

....and I hate that I'm sitting here thinking refunding was a mistake and I should give it another crack. I don't know why. All three make me rage in ways I don't experience with other games, but I still feel compelled to keep smashing a nail into a board with my forehead.

Can anyone explain?"

And what did I see?

Just like Albion Community, "git gud".

Duck, 5 Jun, 2016 @ 6:43am: "Dark Souls is like being married to a woman who is attractive and charming and funny and intelligent, and you are soulmates and everything is perfect, right? She is the perfect woman, you could not ask for a more better woman in the world. you love her, and she loves you.
      Only she has one flaw, Every 5 minute, she punches you in the face... For no reason, she just punches you in the face every 5 minutes. Even at night you wake up, She punches you in the face, you recover, get 4 minutes 38 seconds of sleep, then she punches you in the face again, and you love her."

And then I realised, some people are masochistic!

britannica.com/topic/masochism

Masochism, psychosexual disorder in which erotic release is achieved through having pain inflicted on oneself. The term derives from the name of Chevalier Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, an Austrian who wrote extensively about the satisfaction he gained by being beaten and subjugated. The amount of pain involved can vary from ritual humiliation with little violence to severe whipping or beating; generally the masochist retains some control over the situation and will end the abusive behaviour before becoming seriously injured. While pain may cause a certain amount of sexual excitement in many persons, for the masochist it becomes the chief end of sexual activity. The term is frequently used in a looser social context in which masochism is defined as the behaviour of one who seeks out and enjoys situations of humiliation or abuse. Masochism as an isolated trait is fairly rare. More commonly, the association of pain with sexual pleasure takes the form of both masochism and sadism (q.v.), the obtaining of sexual pleasure through inflicting pain on others. Often, an individual will alternate roles, becoming aroused through the experience of pain in one instance and through the infliction of pain in another.
      » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «

Enough of my hateful comments, I can do better than that. Apologies to anyone I've been abusive towards on this forum in the past. 26 September 2020

The post was edited 2 times, last by PenguinSniper ().

• There are just people in life who cave in to the smallest amount of adversity. If they aren't good at something immediately, they don't like it and quit. They don't see any value in learning new skills and see it as beneath them.

Dark Souls just takes that up a few notches by being significantly more difficult than most video games. So obviously there are a lot of people that don't like it. The thing is, you aren't required to like everything. But, games aren't required to change in order for more people to like them either. Especially if changing makes them into something they were never intended to be. You lose the spirit of the whole game. There is no such thing as an easy Dark Souls game, because as soon as it is easy it isn't Dark Souls anymore.

A lot of games are just button mashers. Like, you can die here and there, but most of the time if you just press buttons and move around enough, you will eventually succeed. Dark Souls requires you to actually pay attention to enemies and learn their behaviors and have average technical skills in controlling your character. That is just considered "very difficult" in today's game environment.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
      Did he who made the Lamb make thee?