Constructible Shelter for solo BZ play, while adding PvP content

• Constructible Shelter for solo BZ play, while adding PvP content

I think we can all agree that AO is meant to be a community game. With that said, I myself and many another’s do enjoy some autonomy and it can be difficult to enjoy some of the late game perks without depending solely on a guild or alliance to get you there. I have a suggestion, inspired by the HO mechanic that I would like to propose.

Constructible Black Zone “Hovel” or “Shelters” For Individual players
      Before you laugh off the idea let me lay down my thoughts. I get that allowing the whole global community to build a structure in BZs would be cancer to game play if they function like a Guild HO which are meant to be difficult to root out, so let me offer the following suggestions about how something like this could work.

1. It would need to be a serious investment
        • Crafting kits would be less than a HO but still a significant investment from the player. This would also dissuade guilds from simply spamming individual Hovels/Shelters all over the place and funding it with their own silver.
        • I would suggest something in the range of 5mil to craft a kit (with appropriate materials for construction as well) and 2mil to place it. Most players would have to scrimp and save for that kind of money and resources. It is possible guilds would still fund it, so see my later suggestions about limitations that would dissuade abuse.
        • I think having it built over a couple day’s time is too long for a single player, but they would have to be present for the construction for ~15-30mins or so, this is not something you could drop instantly and have up and running.
        • Hovels/Shelters can only be placed during typical prime time like a guild HO so its going to be during highly trafficked times. You would have to be strategic about it’s location etc (see more about the need for strategy below).
      2. It will be MUCH more limited than a guild HO
        • First, just like the houses built on islands, it has limited space. I would suggest that a Hovel/shelter can only accommodate 1-3 people based on its level. This would prevent guild/alliance abuse as it is not meant to be a staging area for group content.
        • A player can only construct 1 hovel/shelter. Ever. Building another would require you to scrap your previous one with no return on resources from the kit.
        • While you can allow people access just like a personal island it can ONLY be set as home by the constructing player. No change of this would be allowed. This would keep people from using ALT accounts to have access to multiple Hovels/Shelters that they can jump around to by resetting their home.
        • Contents would consist of a chest, maybe 1-2 farm plots, maybe 1-2 crafting/house plots based on upgrade level. No repair station, no merchants/farming merchants.
      3. It is much easier to kill, but harder to locate
        • The whole idea is to discourage abuse by large groups but give the individual player some stake in the BZ so I suggest the following:
          1. Hovels/Shelters only have 1 defender point. This makes it risky. You could lose your hovel/shelter with just one day of attack. The durability could be similar but less than a first level HO, but no need to assault it over the course of a few days. This is a limited structure so it shouldn’t be hard to kick someone out if you think they need to go.
          2. To offset the ease at which they can be ousted Hovels/Shelters ONLY show on the builder’s map. No one else can see them. They would have to locate it by searching the zone and then communicate this to others if they want to target it. This would also discourage the individual from placing it in a highly contested area. Anonymity is the builder’s friend, it needs to be well hidden/away from danger with limited sharing to friends because more traffic=more attention. This would also make it difficult for guilds to abuse it as well because it wont be on the map for other friendly players either.
          3. Like a HO, it would be invulnerable until prime-time, that way it is not an immediate loss if someone does locate your Hovel/Shelter and you could take action to move your stuff.
      4. A little something for the PvPers
        • A concern for the PvPers out there is that this would impact their content by offering a safe haven of retreat when players are ganked. It is true this would serve like a HO in the sense someone who gets ganked could run here and hide from PvPers. To offset this I make the following suggestion:
          1. Unlike guild HOs which offer a safe central chest where your items will be returned to the closest public bank a Hovel/Shelter WOULD give up loot when destroyed. I think 100% of the items in the chest is a bit too risky but what about a random allotment of 50% of its contents + 50% of the crafting materials? That way destroying a Hovel/Shelter has some appeal to it with smaller groups. It doesn’t need to be a ZvZ event, with it being able to be destroyed In just 1 day, you could take it down with a group of 5-6 people with demolition hammers.
          2. This also plays into the need to keep your hovel/shelter hidden. Even if you are getting ganked you might NOT want to run to your hovel/shelter because it would expose your hiding place. You would have to weigh the benefits and cons.
          3. This mechanic would ALSO encourage players to frequently make transport runs from their hovels/shelters to more secure locations like their Guild HO or Safe areas like the Royals or Rests so if they do lose their Hovel/Shelter They wont lose that 50% of what they have stored. This would also encourage more movement within the BZs offering more chances to gank from PvPers as people become more active in the BZ.

[*]

So tell me what you think. I think there would be many benefits to this and it would encourage more content in the BZ, particularly in some of the quieter zones. A prudent player would prioritize a location where they can stay hidden. Placing your Hovel/Shelter in a t8 zone would be awfully risky, but what about that quiet t5 zone off in the corner that no one frequents that often? It is much closer than the Rest or the Royals. So yeah, Ill build it there. This would breath new life into these forgotten zones as they become the perfect hiding place.Imagine running ganking groups during prime time and hunting down two or three of these Hovels/Shelters which could reward you richly if you find a good one. Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions. It’s a fun thought experiment at least :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Skeeks: Fixed some grammar and added details. ().

• Another thought about making them difficult to find would be an area of in-game visibility. Something like the entrance is invisible until you are within 5ft (in game measurement) of the entrance. But this would need to be balanced carefully with price, again, to dissuade abuse from large guilds or alliances.
      Perhaps its not on the base model and is gained when you “upgrade” the structure since it wont gain more durability points. This would increase the commitment you have to the structure since you’d have to pay more in resources and silver but it gives this additional advantage of secrecy.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Skeeks ().

• I think with the roads coming there is already an answer to this smaller up to solo type of players to power project all over the outlands with limited but much more impossible to evict hideouts that seeing data mining we looking at hundreds of roads map, another laywer of settlement on the outlands at even smaller scale doesn't seem to fit as the outlands are designed for guilds to play on, smaller or big, on alliance or not, it's meant to be the whole point and motivation to join a guild that plays on the outlands to start with.
    • Midgard wrote:

Skeeks wrote:

So tell me what you think
      I think your shelter would be discovered and destroyed in virtually no time at all.
      That may be true, so perhaps my suggestion of an invisible entrance until you are very close to the entrance would be the key. This would mean you would have to be actively looking for it to find it, then if you do find it you would need to either find it during prime time when you can destroy it OR take careful note of where it is so you can come back during the right time to destroy it.

TheBacon wrote:

I think with the roads coming there is already an answer to this smaller up to solo type of players to power project all over the outlands with limited but much more impossible to evict hideouts that seeing data mining we looking at hundreds of roads map, another laywer of settlement on the outlands at even smaller scale doesn't seem to fit as the outlands are designed for guilds to play on, smaller or big, on alliance or not, it's meant to be the whole point and motivation to join a guild that plays on the outlands to start with.
      That is true, I am eager to see what the ROA will bring. However, I do think proving more solo player experiences is important to the growth of Albion. WIth all the single player advertising the game is putting out there I’d be surprise if developers aren’t looking for ways to make it more enticing for solo players. Plus it is in the history of Albion that the developers try to give solo equivalents. Just think about it. Guild island, personal island. Group dungeons, then solo dungeons. Just my thoughts.
      The roads will certainly help but there still aren’t any semi-permanent Options. Maybe a workable alternative would be that shelters/hovels can ONLY be built in Avalon. That would make them REALLY hard to find except to a guild that is in the roads. Same suggestions as before, invisible to others on the map and invisible entrance until you’re right on top of it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Skeeks ().