Is it worth grinding refinement at city crafting stations with high tax rates?

• Is it worth grinding refinement at city crafting stations with high tax rates?

Hello all, I'm 4 days into the game and loving it because it reminds me a lot of Eve online. My brother and I have premium characters and are looking to up our stonecutters and plank levels respectively. We are currently based out of Martlock and have two T5 islands with laborers boosting our gathering and have a guild island that hasn't been upgraded yet.

Now as the question states, I have been working on refining stone. At Martlock there are currently two stonecutter stations, both at a tax rate of 60%. I understand that at cities I get a resource return which is even higher using focus. If I am currently working on refining t4 travertine blocks to level 100, should I be using the city stations or should I make one either on my private island or guild hall to be more cost effective? I usually gather my materials, and boost it with buying bulk raw materials of the marketplace for a change of pace.

A follow up question, after I max out refining t4 travertine blocks I plan on moving to t5 granite blocks. Should I continue to use city stations vs private stations? Does the answer to that question change with higher tier refining? Also is my planned approach of moving from tier to tier refining an effective one or should I be refining the best blocks I can?

I appreciate any insight y'all can give me. I understand that I grinding out my refinement level will result me in operating at a loss of silver, but up my fame. I am just trying to figure out how to minimize my silver loss during this process. I have looked up several posts here and on reddit that are similar to this question, but they are more based on focus or have tax rates much lower than what I have to work with.

P.S. before posting I used the word s-u-p-p-l-e-m-e-n-t and it would not let me post it as it is censored, anyone know why? Just curious, used the word boost instead
    • One thing you should consider is refining your blocks at BridgeWatch. That city is a 50%+ return rate. You will be able to level faster using this city because for every 100 blocks, you will get 50 blocks back. Which in turn will allow you to refine more blocks. Ususally (not always) the tax rate is lower because every the city is mostly stonecutter stations, and they need to be competitive.

Just to give some information for your brother, Fort Sterling is the city to refine wood. :)

Pretty much 10 times out of 10, youll want to use the city stations rather then your personal island stations. The resources you get back is worth the silver you spend.
      I can understand when you first start the game, you dont really have the silver, and you dont want to use the silver you have to use the city stations. BUT its worth it in the end honestly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SloppyThor ().

• ImaDoki wrote:

Take your stones to Bridgewatch (don't fast teleport, go there yourself) and refine there. Huge increase in resource return rate.

Almost always better to use City Stations, for fame and for profit.

EDIT: S-u-p-p-l-e-m-e-n-t is probably banned due to bot spamming random ADs in the forums.

SloppyThor wrote:

One thing you should consider is refining your blocks at BridgeWatch. That city is a 50%+ return rate. You will be able to level faster using this city because for every 100 blocks, you will get 50 blocks back. Which in turn will allow you to refine more blocks. Ususally (not always) the tax rate is lower because every the city is mostly stonecutter stations, and they need to be competitive.

Just to give some information for your brother, Fort Sterling is the city to refine wood. :)

I just checked, bridgewatch - wow! 11% OK so I am guessing it was a mistake setting up shop in Martlock, especially with the islands?
    • dibproductionz wrote:

ImaDoki wrote:

Take your stones to Bridgewatch (don't fast teleport, go there yourself) and refine there. Huge increase in resource return rate.

Almost always better to use City Stations, for fame and for profit.

EDIT: S-u-p-p-l-e-m-e-n-t is probably banned due to bot spamming random ADs in the forums.

SloppyThor wrote:

One thing you should consider is refining your blocks at BridgeWatch. That city is a 50%+ return rate. You will be able to level faster using this city because for every 100 blocks, you will get 50 blocks back. Which in turn will allow you to refine more blocks. Ususally (not always) the tax rate is lower because every the city is mostly stonecutter stations, and they need to be competitive.

I just checked, bridgewatch - wow! 11% OK so I am guessing it was a mistake setting up shop in Martlock, especially with the islands?
      This is relative, since you can gather in martlock to fill your journals and then go there fill the labourers. So the labourers are in a nice spot.

You just have to consider refining in bridgewatch from time to time, after you have enough resources to fill a load (Aim for a transport Mamooth or a T8 Ox).

One thing i do is gather a huge load of a singular resource, say T5 logs, then go to fort sterling and buy the needed T4 refined wood (planks) to be able to turn them into T5 planks. Normally refined resources are cheaper in the place they are refined.
    • Most players will tell you that the resource return in cities is better than craft stations on your island. I'm still in the T4-T5 refining and crafting range and in Martlock with the fees here, I find all T4 work is overall cheaper on island and for T5 it's variable on refining but crafting is almost always cheaper on my island. It appears that City work gets more appealing at the higher tiers though. I'm approaching T6 in several of the things I craft so will find out soon.

For any refining or crafting I do, I always check and do an analysis to see which is better before I start.
      Learn something new every day.
    • Geofors wrote:

Most players will tell you that the resource return in cities is better than craft stations on your island. I'm still in the T4-T5 refining and crafting range and in Martlock with the fees here, I find all T4 work is overall cheaper on island and for T5 it's variable on refining but crafting is almost always cheaper on my island. It appears that City work gets more appealing at the higher tiers though. I'm approaching T6 in several of the things I craft so will find out soon.

For any refining or crafting I do, I always check and do an analysis to see which is better before I start.
      You better get your stones to Bridgewatch, no reason to refine at Martlock at 50-60% rates when there are constantly stations at Bridgewatch with 10-20% tax and with city bonus...

Refining at personal island on non bonus city is waste of money.
      "You cannot judge me. I am justice itself" - Tyrael, Diablo 3