Morality in Gaming

  • Morality in Gaming

    In this thread forum.albiononline.com/index.p…ostID=1050143#post1050143 I saw this statement. I let it go at the time, but today it had me thinking. I've played Skyrim and some follower npc's have a pre-designated 'Morailty' A.I, where they will not pick a lock for you because it is programmed as the crime of 'breaking and entering'. en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:NPCs#Morality

    That means you CAN have morality in games.

    And the day a robot or A.I has more moral responsibility than a human player, the fault is YOU, not gaming, or SBI, or Albion.

    How about you play a game of Pong en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong versus another human, and half-plug out the controller so that their controller won't work properly, giving you an unfair advantage over them.

    This isn't right, because it's cheating. Morals exist even in the simplest game imaginable.

    » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «
  • THAT'S ME!

    I SAID THAT THING!

    For real though. You are pointing at me saying a thing, and then talking about a completely different and barely related thing. I am not saying that video games can't have morality in them. I am saying that applying real life morality to video games actions isn't even close to a reasonable thing to do under most circumstances.

    You can program an NPC to not steal, but that doesn't mean that if I a human being steal from someone in that same video game, that I am an immoral person or have done something immoral. Because it is a video game.

    Within the context of competition in a game of Pong. Messing with your opponents controler is outside of the entire game completely. You are breaking the rules of the game to gain an advantage.

    Stabbing a guy to death in the red zone and stealing his ore or carrots is completely within the rules of this game. It's not cheating. It's at best rude.
    Discord: Piddle#7413
    "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Piddle ().

  • Piddle wrote:

    THAT'S ME!

    I SAID THAT THING!

    For real though. You are pointing at me saying a thing, and then talking about a completely different and barely related thing. I am not saying that video games can't have morality in them. I am saying that applying real life morality to video games actions isn't even close to a reasonable thing to do under most circumstances.

    You can program an NPC to not steal, but that doesn't mean that if I a human being steal from someone in that same video game, that I am an immoral person or have done something immoral. Because it is a video game.

    Within the context of competition in a game of Pong. Messing with your opponents controler is outside of the entire game completely. You are breaking the rules of the game to gain an advantage.

    Stabbing a guy to death in the red zone and stealing his ore or carrots is completely within the rules of this game. It's not cheating. It's at best rude.
    You know what, I don't entirely disagree with your perspective when clarified this way.

    But for some reason I feel like something is being missed here. I need to go back and try to remember what sparked my opening post.

    From what I vaguely remember is that I wasn't tying 'morality' to killing a player in a pvp game, that is not what I'm talking about.

    I don't think I'm gonna be arrested for killing a player in Albion Online, right?

    So that's not what I mean at all.
    » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «
  • Mod request:

    Please close this thread because it's pretty clear that 95% of players in this community don't understand how morality can exist in Albion Online.

    By the way Spyr0theDragon, you not understanding something doesn't make YOU look smart.

    I re-read Toxic Community, Ganks against starters Spoil the Game and i understand what happened.

    Piddle went off topic when he posted there, so when I quoted him it looks out of context here.

    I re-read it and what I was actually saying is the same thing Borbarad correctly pointed out, "some actions are more shittier than others"

    Spyro doesn't understand that because he is an inbred ganker.

    Low iq jackass.
    » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «

    The post was edited 2 times, last by PenguinSniper ().

  • It can and it does exists, but it´s as complicated as in real life : )

    For example, , i like to joke about being " an honorable ganker ". That means i am not doing scummy things such as pretend to be friends with someone and then killing them or having others encircle them. Similarly if i am speaking friendly with someone, i won´t just kill them - if anything,i will say that next time i see them, i will fight etc :D

    I guess part of it is not killing people in red zones flagged as a red, but saying that would be a bit stupid just because i don´t do that, since i consider red zones a newbie zones. Then again, red zone is red zone, and pvp there is a must - it is not supposed to be yellow or blue zone, so one should be prepared to fight.

    You can still be a prick in this game, wheter it´s by being scummy like mentioned above, or duel scamming people, or being a scout in a guild and telling others when guildmates do avalon dungeons, or telling on your guildmates - that´s pretty disgusting.

    Morality in games and real life isnt that much different - some actions are more shittier than others, and some are more alright than others
  • PenguinSniper wrote:

    Mod request:

    Please close this thread because it's pretty clear that 95% of players in this community don't understand how morality can exist in Albion Online.

    By the way Spyr0theDragon, you not understanding something doesn't make YOU look smart.

    Oh, I didn't plan to look smart, your post just is completely useless, it's not like people don't understand it.
    A lot of different people just have lot of different reasons to play games, a lot of them go into games to flee from their real-life decisions and problems, which is why so many people behave completely the opposite they are in real life
    For sure people can have morality in games, it is just not up to you to decide what they can or can not do. You are just randomly ranting about stuff hoping people share your opinion, and get mad if they disagree, just like u proofed yourself.
    Getting mad about people having free choice of what they want to do in this game kinda tells me that you should probably not play this, you want to force people to play the game like u want to have it, which shows me what tiny mind you have and how repellent you are towards other peoples decisions and opinions
  • F*ck the guilds empty their banks sipgone enery and talk shit about them.
    The ZvZ competition was pretty shitty in Queen Season with a lot of boosting like Elevate boosting Zorns (whatever that is) you pay to buy Crystal as an inferior guild and crystal team trading Derrick does should be bannable.

    Poodle is actually good guy he goes to church every day and he donates all he steals so stealing is invalidated by giving some back quick maffs.
    Im więcej ludzi na ZvZ tym Surfy i Poe będą mniej hajsu chcieli za nie wyjebanie waszej ziemianki. Wojna Polsko Polska AO. Wesołe Ziemniaczki.
  • Spyr0theDragon wrote:

    PenguinSniper wrote:

    Mod request:

    Please close this thread because it's pretty clear that 95% of players in this community don't understand how morality can exist in Albion Online.

    By the way Spyr0theDragon, you not understanding something doesn't make YOU look smart.
    Oh, I didn't plan to look smart, your post just is completely useless, it's not like people don't understand it.
    A lot of different people just have lot of different reasons to play games, a lot of them go into games to flee from their real-life decisions and problems, which is why so many people behave completely the opposite they are in real life
    For sure people can have morality in games, it is just not up to you to decide what they can or can not do. You are just randomly ranting about stuff hoping people share your opinion, and get mad if they disagree, just like u proofed yourself.
    Getting mad about people having free choice of what they want to do in this game kinda tells me that you should probably not play this, you want to force people to play the game like u want to have it, which shows me what tiny mind you have and how repellent you are towards other peoples decisions and opinions
    Mod request:

    Spyr0theDragon wrote:

    PenguinSniper wrote:

    Please close this thread because it's pretty clear that 95% of players in this community don't understand how morality can exist in Albion Online.

    By the way Spyr0theDragon, you not understanding something doesn't make YOU look smart.
    Oh, I didn't plan to look smart, your post just is completely useless, it's not like people don't understand it.
    A lot of different people just have lot of different reasons to play games, a lot of them go into games to flee from their real-life decisions and problems, which is why so many people behave completely the opposite they are in real life
    For sure people can have morality in games, it is just not up to you to decide what they can or can not do. You are just randomly ranting about stuff hoping people share your opinion, and get mad if they disagree, just like u proofed yourself.
    Getting mad about people having free choice of what they want to do in this game kinda tells me that you should probably not play this, you want to force people to play the game like u want to have it, which shows me what tiny mind you have and how repellent you are towards other peoples decisions and opinions
    fuck it.

    i don't have time for you

    mod close the thread thanks
    » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «

    The post was edited 1 time, last by PenguinSniper ().

  • Borbarad wrote:

    It can and it does exists, but it´s as complicated as in real life : )

    For example, , i like to joke about being " an honorable ganker ". That means i am not doing scummy things such as pretend to be friends with someone and then killing them or having others encircle them. Similarly if i am speaking friendly with someone, i won´t just kill them - if anything,i will say that next time i see them, i will fight etc :D

    I guess part of it is not killing people in red zones flagged as a red, but saying that would be a bit stupid just because i don´t do that, since i consider red zones a newbie zones. Then again, red zone is red zone, and pvp there is a must - it is not supposed to be yellow or blue zone, so one should be prepared to fight.

    You can still be a prick in this game, wheter it´s by being scummy like mentioned above, or duel scamming people, or being a scout in a guild and telling others when guildmates do avalon dungeons, or telling on your guildmates - that´s pretty disgusting.

    Morality in games and real life isnt that much different - some actions are more shittier than others, and some are more alright than others
    you're damn right people can be a prick in this game just ask spyro the fucking dragon
    » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ «
  • Why do you ask to close the topic but soon after you keep quoting and answering to people? I don't get it...

    PenguinSniper wrote:

    Why did you throw bunch of question marks up? What was your actual opinion?
    Because your statement and your example makes no sense at all and piddle opinions follows mine about morality.

    EDIT : Also mention Evas if you want this topic to be closed fast not mentionning a moderator will make things slow.
  • PenguinSniper wrote:

    you're damn right people can be a prick in this game just ask spyro the fucking dragon
    Actually, you are the one being offensive and insulting, jumping into conclusions and not thinking at all before you say something.

    What is wrong with you ? Spyro sends a picture and you start lashing out and insulting him :

    " Spyro doesn't understand that because he is an inbred ganker. Low iq jackass. "

    If anything, you turned out to be most immoral due to your actions and lack of thought.

    Try to be more mindful before you act, otherwise this happens.