Toxic Community, Ganks against starters Spoil the Game

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Toxic Community, Ganks against starters Spoil the Game

      First of all, I would like to apologize for some grammatical errors. Since for some expressions I needed the help of an electronic translator.


      Well, my friends and I saw Albion's advertisement on Instagram. We found it interesting, downloaded it, and initially we found the game very fun, at first glance it reminded us a lot of old games we had played in our teens (since we are Jurassic).

      We played, we leveled up a little, and we started to get interested, and there came a time when the best way to level up would be to do solo dungeons on red maps. The idea of competition between players is cool, but, a frustrating thing happened, a player with a lot more power that we entered the dungeon killed us and took the loot from the bodies. Later on, a player followed me, and even on my mount, he managed to get me out of it and kill me. My three friends, gave up, stopped playing, and found it absurd, it would be nice to have a pvp between us and other players with similar power, in which we could at least fight the invaders, but a fight where four cannot win one because he has much more experience, equipment and power ... It makes the game unfair, frustrating and overwhelming.

      I understand that this is part rooted in Albion, but, this is the cultivation of a toxic, anti-gambling community, where the strongest abuse the great difference of power against the weakest. I am sad to see a game with a system of classes, powers and construction so simple and at the same time wonderful, end up cultivating such a toxic community. I saw a lot of videos on YouTube of people showing when it was "fun" to gank, and it’s even ridiculous they teaching showing their level 7-8 equipment against people using 4-5 equipment, it’s frustrating, and it looks like the game encourages this kind of "assault".

      Honestly, as a main suggestion, I leave that, there is no use investing thousands of dollars / euros in advertising, if there is a community that keeps players who are just starting out, it may not seem like much, but you just lost 4 premium adult subscriptions that they work, and they wanted to have fun in a game, and as much as this money will not be needed, believe me, this toxicity must have already lost much more than us, I know that my outburst will not change much and it probably wasn't the first nor usefulness on the subject. But, I couldn't help but give my feedback, because the game brought me a lot of nostalgia and a few hours of fun with my friends, which I wish there were so few.

      Sandbox, you have a wonderful game in your hands, your community remains to regulate, because toxicity is used in it. :(
    • You should not blame the game, but yourself for not reading what this game constitues.

      This is a full loot pvp game - economy revolves around that, and it´s what makes it fun.

      Someone who is stronger should have advantage when fighting, thats only obvious now, isnt it ? And t5 can beat t8 if he is smart / skilled.

      Either way, that doesnt matter. You complain about being killed even though you are a newbie - well then, if you are a newbie, why aren´t you in yellow and blue zones ? Those are designed for newbies, and you cannot die there. Why did you go to red or black zone when you are clearly warned you can be killed and looted there ? Red and Black zones poses higher risk, and higher rewards, and are designed for more experienced players - not for newbies. You complaining about that is like being a lvl 1 and going to lvl 100 zone and being suprised you go there - or going as a newbie to pvp arena where veterans resides.

      Don´t blame the game when you don´t know the game. It´s like going to play chess and being annoyed it doesn´t play like fortnite.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Borbarad ().

    • I completely agree with Borbarad . Always when you go into the red zone for the first time you are warned that you can be killed there and take all the things . if you don't want to risk it, stay in the yellow and blue zones . it is normal that the player in T5 gear could easily kill a man in T8 gear . here decides a skill . if you understand how the enemy's shmot works, you can replay it even with T4 or T5 shmot if your enemy is playing poorly. and the fact that one person can kill 4 people is normal . there are those who kill more at a time the same Equart . each weapon can be stronger than the other or Vice versa weaker . it all depends on the meta
    • complementing what was said above, you said that you are using t4~5 gear at red zones. Red zones begin at T6. So you should start from that. Also, try to understand the game, the builds and find a good build to your group. A group of 3 people with good builds hardly it's beated for a solo man, only with a huge Item Power difference. Albion benefits the teamplay above the skill.
    • Usually I do disagree with @Borbarad, but not today.

      This IS a full loot sandbox game and the game is based on that. As you were saying, you saw the videos, every single person that does videos of Albion says the same: "DON'T WEAR WHAT YOU CAN'T LOSE".
      That IS true, although you lose a lot of power, you need to be undergeared if you are new, thats just the rule of the game. Gearing up like this you can maintain your mental state even if you die.
      If you are new, you farm yours first million, then you spend that million into a 6.2 set and go hunt into the reds or blacks thinking "Yeah, i'm strong now", you WILL DIE, that's the gaming teaching you do not do that, you learning that and improving or you giving up on the game is up to you.

      That being said, I do agree that the game do not teach you how to transit from safe to pvp other than you dying countless times until you learn.
      My thread about Zone Changes was to address this issue, introducing PVP early on but without losing everything, just losing a few things so you can learn.
    • Borbarad wrote:

      You should not blame the game, but yourself for not reading what this game constitues.

      This is a full loot pvp game - economy revolves around that, and it´s what makes it fun.

      Someone who is stronger should have advantage when fighting, thats only obvious now, isnt it ? And t5 can beat t8 if he is smart / skilled.

      Either way, that doesnt matter. You complain about being killed even though you are a newbie - well then, if you are a newbie, why aren´t you in yellow and blue zones ? Those are designed for newbies, and you cannot die there. Why did you go to red or black zone when you are clearly warned you can be killed and looted there ? Red and Black zones poses higher risk, and higher rewards, and are designed for more experienced players - not for newbies. You complaining about that is like being a lvl 1 and going to lvl 100 zone and being suprised you go there - or going as a newbie to pvp arena where veterans resides.

      Don´t blame the game when you don´t know the game. It´s like going to play chess and being annoyed it doesn´t play like fortnite.
      The game being totally PvP oriented, and the economy revolving around that, does not change the FACT, that the need to kill newbies is a very toxic attitude.
      As for my presence in red zones, well, better xp, better drops, and the xp of the yellow zone, I was no longer compensating enough, I was not given the option to farm on a map of this level without PvP, that's the problem .
    • In a way I understand what he meant, albion is easy to be played when you have knowledge, I really miss missions that serve as tutorials that help these players, what is most recommended is that you only walk 4 flat until you learn and get a sense of the game.
      But what really overwhelms the royal is the obsolete PvP in the black zone. Gank is much better at royal than at black, he has maps that have 8 shared hideouts. Another factor is that some NAP rules are not valid for royal, so when experienced people want pvp, they go to the red zone.
    • hFly wrote:

      Usually I do disagree with @Borbarad, but not today.

      This IS a full loot sandbox game and the game is based on that. As you were saying, you saw the videos, every single person that does videos of Albion says the same: "DON'T WEAR WHAT YOU CAN'T LOSE".
      That IS true, although you lose a lot of power, you need to be undergeared if you are new, thats just the rule of the game. Gearing up like this you can maintain your mental state even if you die.
      If you are new, you farm yours first million, then you spend that million into a 6.2 set and go hunt into the reds or blacks thinking "Yeah, i'm strong now", you WILL DIE, that's the gaming teaching you do not do that, you learning that and improving or you giving up on the game is up to you.

      That being said, I do agree that the game do not teach you how to transit from safe to pvp other than you dying countless times until you learn.
      My thread about Zone Changes was to address this issue, introducing PVP early on but without losing everything, just losing a few things so you can learn.
      I understand a lot of what they are talking about, since they are older in the game than I am, I respect and accept that.

      But, understand ... As you said at the end, LOSE EVERYTHING, it's frustrating, too much, I wouldn't stop it, but my friends stopped, so the discouragement hits, "oh but you can make new friends and look for a guild", right, but they are my personal friends, they stop, I get discouraged. And honestly, the idea of losing everything is really sad, losing an item would be quite sad, since we ended up investing time, farm, to be able to have them.

      I consider this a shot in the foot, from a company that is making new players.
    • There's not much to add to the discussion aside from what's been said already.

      But the game does warn you a lot of times that you're going to get screwed. It warns when you enter yellow zones, warn when you enter red zones and warns when you enter black zones (and keeps warning unless you turn it off).

      I understand you and your friends you'd get frustrated when dying early in the game and losing all your gear and loot, but the 4 of you learned a valuable lesson: skill and item power make a huge difference in the game. How you can get that? By playing it and learning it. The person who ganked you did that, died a lot of times but endured and now he/she is the one with the upper hand. That's not a game being unfair. That's a game rewarding the player that wants to improve (and succeding).

      Honestly, if 3 or 4 of you got dived by just one dude in a red zone map consider yourself lucky. You actually had a fighting chance if you guys knew more about the game to kill him/her and take the loot from the corpse. It's very common to get dived by 5+ in solo dgs and 10+ in group dgs.

      The advice I can give you is: don't go to red or black zones with things you cannot afford to lose AT LEAST 5-10 times. If you need to use t4s, then do so. You can also join a newbie friendly guild and have people guide you and your friends through this hard part of the game or, if you don't want guilds, try to watch or read guides to help you get started (but mind you that they might be outdated). Also do arenas from time to time so you can get a sense of how the PvP works (the more you lose, the more you learn). You cannot lose your loot inside arenas. Duels are a good option too, for 1x1, but NEVER accept duels for money from people you don't know.

      Now get your friends together again and try it for some more days. And remember: you WILL start to get acostumed to dying and losing it all. And the more it happens the more you'll actually be ok with it.

      Yesterday I lost 4 million in a solo transport and instead of raging I just accepted the loss and tried to understand where I made mistakes as to not lose it again.

      In my first two weeks I'd lose like 20k and almost cry but I endured and here I am, trying to pass on my knowledge of getting kicked in the balls and moving on.
    • I think being murdered at an early level is actually very welcoming to the culture of Albion Online! You will not be able to do much in this game without encountering PvP, especially full loot.

      It is much better to be cheap and get numb to the fact that you will be murdered, and this is the weed-out process for new players. If you cannot move past this phase, you will not enjoy the game.

      i will be honest, it took me some time to get past dying to players and losing my stuff. But I found a community of players (guild) who I enjoy playing with, and saw that death did not matter to them. Eventually that same conscience will get to you if you can get past this early phase. Right now, you are a little roach in the world of Albion. In the future, you will be an exterminator.
    • Maiden wrote:

      First of all, I would like to apologize for some grammatical errors. Since for some expressions I needed the help of an electronic translator.


      Well, my friends and I saw Albion's advertisement on Instagram. We found it interesting, downloaded it, and initially we found the game very fun, at first glance it reminded us a lot of old games we had played in our teens (since we are Jurassic).

      We played, we leveled up a little, and we started to get interested, and there came a time when the best way to level up would be to do solo dungeons on red maps. The idea of competition between players is cool, but, a frustrating thing happened, a player with a lot more power that we entered the dungeon killed us and took the loot from the bodies. Later on, a player followed me, and even on my mount, he managed to get me out of it and kill me. My three friends, gave up, stopped playing, and found it absurd, it would be nice to have a pvp between us and other players with similar power, in which we could at least fight the invaders, but a fight where four cannot win one because he has much more experience, equipment and power ... It makes the game unfair, frustrating and overwhelming.

      I understand that this is part rooted in Albion, but, this is the cultivation of a toxic, anti-gambling community, where the strongest abuse the great difference of power against the weakest. I am sad to see a game with a system of classes, powers and construction so simple and at the same time wonderful, end up cultivating such a toxic community. I saw a lot of videos on YouTube of people showing when it was "fun" to gank, and it’s even ridiculous they teaching showing their level 7-8 equipment against people using 4-5 equipment, it’s frustrating, and it looks like the game encourages this kind of "assault".

      Honestly, as a main suggestion, I leave that, there is no use investing thousands of dollars / euros in advertising, if there is a community that keeps players who are just starting out, it may not seem like much, but you just lost 4 premium adult subscriptions that they work, and they wanted to have fun in a game, and as much as this money will not be needed, believe me, this toxicity must have already lost much more than us, I know that my outburst will not change much and it probably wasn't the first nor usefulness on the subject. But, I couldn't help but give my feedback, because the game brought me a lot of nostalgia and a few hours of fun with my friends, which I wish there were so few.

      Sandbox, you have a wonderful game in your hands, your community remains to regulate, because toxicity is used in it. :(
      The amount of players in this community who will be able to empathize with your post is definitely a small minority. It might be possible to count them on 2 hands.

      It's like this, The majority of players who have stuck with this game are people who have accepted the idea that ganking, toxic playstyle and lacking honor are norms that must be accepted by everyone else.

      Therefore, if you don't think that way, you will constantly find yourself disagreeing with the majority of people around you in this game.

      You are RIGHT, this festering of toxicity DOES and HAS turned away lots of players.

      If I were to estimate, the advertisement brings in X amount of players, and the toxicity chews up and spits out 95% of them.

      That's why my guess is that the community of players that remains in this game is 95% toxic, 5% fair people.

      It is something you'll see in not only pvp, but in the economics of player set tax (for example a butcher I heard about being set to 999% tax).

      The concept of 'fairness' is literally an alien concept here.

      Usually, people who think how I think, have quit the game in their first 3 months.

      For various reasons, this abnormal position I find myself in is what personally keeps me addicted to it.

      I can relate to your post, but there was one part where I feel there is an error that may need to be reconsidered. It's specifically this statement:

      "My three friends, gave up, stopped playing"

      Now while I can 100% understand why they gave up, and they have every right to, I am convinced that if you had had some more information and advice from people who are in that 5% minority of fairness, you would not have even experienced the situation that caused your friends to quit.

      You would have had an opportunity to learn about this issue before it actually happened to you.

      I would guess that there are many players that have it happen to them, and they choose to either stick with the game or walk away, but then there are other players who never have it happen to them, because they are told about it by other players before they actually experience it first hand.

      It's unfortunate that you and your friends had it happen before being informed about how it is here.

      My request is this: If you haven't quit the game yet, try visiting a special place that exists in Albion, it is the Help Chat Channel.

      This is a unique place where trolling is not allowed, and I constantly point new players to it, and I personally think it is the default place ALL new accounts should be forced to be in when they start playing Albion online.

      Information is VALUABLE in this game, and so, any player that is lacking information is at a strategic disadvantage.

      That is what I believe caused you and your friends to experience something that was enough to turn you away. I was one of the players who had it happen to them (I was brought by some higher level players into black zone dungeons to fame/xp farm, which helped me level up a lot but on the way home all of us got ganked).

      Fortunately for me I was already aware of the help chat channel, not sure how I discovered it but I think it's because I am an information hoarder, coming from Runescape using the wikia a lot and Skyrim which also has a uesp wiki and fandom, so I had already gotten used to the concept that information is the key to survival in lots of games I'd played before.

      My point is, if you guys had been aware (not from some in game warnings that don't quite show you the full extent of the situation) but first hand information from other players who prefer fairness and educated introduction for new players, things might have been different.

      SO in my opinion, I think Albion may be worth another try.

      There are so many other games I could be playing, and I once quit Albion because server lag and repair costs being raised was a difficult thing for me to accept, but I came back to it, so it's definitely a good game and better than many other mmos out there.

      Type /h and look for the Help channel and the game will improve for you.

      » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ « bit.ly/pokerface-albion

      The post was edited 2 times, last by PenguinSniper ().

    • PenguinSniper wrote:

      Maiden wrote:

      First of all, I would like to apologize for some grammatical errors. Since for some expressions I needed the help of an electronic translator.


      Well, my friends and I saw Albion's advertisement on Instagram. We found it interesting, downloaded it, and initially we found the game very fun, at first glance it reminded us a lot of old games we had played in our teens (since we are Jurassic).

      We played, we leveled up a little, and we started to get interested, and there came a time when the best way to level up would be to do solo dungeons on red maps. The idea of competition between players is cool, but, a frustrating thing happened, a player with a lot more power that we entered the dungeon killed us and took the loot from the bodies. Later on, a player followed me, and even on my mount, he managed to get me out of it and kill me. My three friends, gave up, stopped playing, and found it absurd, it would be nice to have a pvp between us and other players with similar power, in which we could at least fight the invaders, but a fight where four cannot win one because he has much more experience, equipment and power ... It makes the game unfair, frustrating and overwhelming.

      I understand that this is part rooted in Albion, but, this is the cultivation of a toxic, anti-gambling community, where the strongest abuse the great difference of power against the weakest. I am sad to see a game with a system of classes, powers and construction so simple and at the same time wonderful, end up cultivating such a toxic community. I saw a lot of videos on YouTube of people showing when it was "fun" to gank, and it’s even ridiculous they teaching showing their level 7-8 equipment against people using 4-5 equipment, it’s frustrating, and it looks like the game encourages this kind of "assault".

      Honestly, as a main suggestion, I leave that, there is no use investing thousands of dollars / euros in advertising, if there is a community that keeps players who are just starting out, it may not seem like much, but you just lost 4 premium adult subscriptions that they work, and they wanted to have fun in a game, and as much as this money will not be needed, believe me, this toxicity must have already lost much more than us, I know that my outburst will not change much and it probably wasn't the first nor usefulness on the subject. But, I couldn't help but give my feedback, because the game brought me a lot of nostalgia and a few hours of fun with my friends, which I wish there were so few.

      Sandbox, you have a wonderful game in your hands, your community remains to regulate, because toxicity is used in it. :(
      The amount of players in this community who will be able to empathize with your post is definitely a small minority. It might be possible to count them on 2 hands.
      It's like this, The majority of players who have stuck with this game are people who have accepted the idea that ganking, toxic playstyle and lacking honor are norms that must be accepted by everyone else.

      Therefore, if you don't think that way, you will constantly find yourself disagreeing with the majority of people around you in this game.

      You are RIGHT, this festering of toxicity DOES and HAS turned away lots of players.

      If I were to estimate, the advertisement brings in X amount of players, and the toxicity chews up and spits out 95% of them.

      That's why my guess is that the community of players that remains in this game is 95% toxic, 5% fair people.

      It is something you'll see in not only pvp, but in the economics of player set tax (for example a butcher I heard about being set to 999% tax).

      The concept of 'fairness' is literally an alien concept here.

      Usually, people who think how I think, have quit the game in their first 3 months.

      For various reasons, this abnormal position I find myself in is what personally keeps me addicted to it.

      I can relate to your post, but there was one part where I feel there is an error that may need to be reconsidered. It's specifically this statement:

      "My three friends, gave up, stopped playing"

      Now while I can 100% understand why they gave up, and they have every right to, I am convinced that if you had had some more information and advice from people who are in that 5% minority of fairness, you would not have even experienced the situation that caused your friends to quit.

      You would have had an opportunity to learn about this issue before it actually happened to you.

      I would guess that there are many players that have it happen to them, and they choose to either stick with the game or walk away, but then there are other players who never have it happen to them, because they are told about it by other players before they actually experience it first hand.

      It's unfortunate that you and your friends had it happen before being informed about how it is here.

      My request is this: If you haven't quit the game yet, try visiting a special place that exists in Albion, it is the Help Chat Channel.

      This is a unique place where trolling is not allowed, and I constantly point new players to it, and I personally think it is the default place ALL new accounts should be forced to be in when they start playing Albion online.

      Information is VALUABLE in this game, and so, any player that is lacking information is at a strategic disadvantage.

      That is what I believe caused you and your friends to experience something that was enough to turn you away. I was one of the players who had it happen to them (I was brought by some higher level players into black zone dungeons to fame/xp farm, which helped me level up a lot but on the way home all of us got ganked).

      Fortunately for me I was already aware of the help chat channel, not sure how I discovered it but I think it's because I am an information hoarder, coming from Runescape using the wikia a lot and Skyrim which also has a uesp wiki and fandom, so I had already gotten used to the concept that information is the key to survival in lots of games I'd played before.

      My point is, if you guys had been aware (not from some in game warnings that don't quite show you the full extent of the situation) but first hand information from other players who prefer fairness and educated introduction for new players, things might have been different.

      SO in my opinion, I think Albion may be worth another try.

      There are so many other games I could be playing, and I once quit Albion because server lag and repair costs being raised was a difficult thing for me to accept, but I came back to it, so it's definitely a good game and better than many other mmos out there.

      Type /h and look for the Help channel and the game will improve for you.


      @PenguiSniper, really, thanks for your patience and attention. But do you understand how strange it is to have to read an old player admitting that he is a toxic community and insist on it? I've been playing MMO for years, many years, clearly this idea of "Total Drop", comes from Ultima Online, and yes, I played it about 15 years ago, but do you know the difference? Player killers were frowned upon by the community, especially if it was a very strong person, on a very weak map, this was seen as an anti-gambling attitude.


      You can tell me, be strong, be a hunter and don't be hunted, and something I say as someone who has played countless games, no matter how strong, powerful, and even though I know I have the power to kill 100, 1000 players with a single hit, I wouldn't.


      Want PvP? Looking for someone your size, someone who can, fight against you as an equal, in an honorable way. Even more knowing that all a player's weaponry will be lost, it is a very dirty attitude. I am sorry that the community thinks this is cool, get used to it and it becomes commonplace, I felt like in that film The Purge, where all crime was allowed.


      Assaults, robberies and looting, to be well regarded, to be seen as a legal way to farm money, it is a sad thing, it is something that for me as an adult can be seen in one way, but for a child, it can be seen in another. If you can't with them, be stronger than them and assault them are you really the message you would like to send?


      I know I may have seemed too emotional in that last part, but, like it or not, it is something important to mention. And when you say that the ads bring players and the community just spits them out, it's something that from a business point of view, I can't understand how Sandbox Entertainment supports and allows this toxic community, since in point of view a more balanced, large and welcoming community would be ideal.


      Toxicity is often directly linked to inexperience, immaturity, childishness ... So, it seems to me a community of spoiled children, wanting to play GANGSTAR. Believe me, children will do anything not to spend on premium for example, while for an adult without time for work and tiring day to day, paying a premium is simply admitting that you don't have so much free time for that.


      Definitely, I believe that there should be PvP, of course, I like that, and I like the competition. But in a COMPETITIVE way, and not in an UNJUST way, it is revolting to be mugged, to feel helpless to not be able to do anything, because the other person is abusing power, in real life the feeling is terrible, and whoever is saying this is a guy big, who already had a gun pointed at his face. Making a player feel anything like this is very dirty.
    • What are you asking for exactly? Do you want a solo diver to stop and ask you how long you have been playing before attacking? From a solo PvP perspective in current design dungeon diving is all the content that exists in Albion unless you want to waste time doing flat 4 rat shit in HGs which SHOULD be 2 people required anyway.

      Fundamentally the Queen BZ design is garbage so the majority of dungeon farmers do not even play in the BZ. Divers vet or not get tired of checking empty dungeons in BZ all day so they tend to navigate to RZ where they get action. I would absolutely love to dive in BZ all day so I would not have to deal with rep garbage but the content is just dead in almost all BZ areas dungeon wise.
    • Dying in this game is fine. It´s all risk x reward ratio.

      You can always just grab 4.1 and hit higher tier zones. And don´t tell me you won´t get the cash back in a moment. Then you just store, and look at that - ur more rich !

      This game is not about running in what you can afford, rather running in what is appropriate.

      If you are poor, just run in shit gear. If you dont know the game, dont wear expensive gear. Simple as that.

      And getting them high drop when having really shit low cost gear Feels good man :D
    • I’d like to add that the toxicity I see is typically from the ones who die and cannot accept death.

      the reason the ‘higher power player’ killing the ‘lower power player’ is not frowned upon is because the power disparity is actually usually quite small. What really turns the tables is game knowledge and the skill to apply that knowledge. You can win fights in tier 4.1 against a tier 8 player. And if you lose, who cares, your death bill is much lower.
    • Maiden wrote:

      Well, my friends and I saw Albion's advertisement on Instagram.
      I guess thats the only SBI mistake. Advertising hardcore full loot pvp mmorp in instagram.
      SBI made a great niche game (basically its second EVE but medival setting, which is awesome), but if you want friendly gameplay go play WoW. Or, like, any other MMO. There are so many of them. Just play in something waht already exists, stop trying to change the game just because you dont like it.
    • Killing people in a video game isn't toxic, when the game revolves around killing people. In a theme park MMO your "adversity" is just full filling random requirements so that you can go on to full filling different random requirements. In AO other players are often your adversity, and you need to learn to overcome them. It isn't a problem with the game. It is the game.

      If you are playing some FPS and killing 100s of NPCs, is that toxic? AO just replaces NPCs with actual human beings. But, you aren't killing actual people. They just re-spawn somewhere. Just as good as they were before. Applying real world morality to actions in a video game isn't going to get you far.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
      "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper