What is Arcane's role in arena?

• What is Arcane's role in arena?

So, I queued for arena with the enigmatic staff and it automatically assigned me as damage, so I didn't change it.

But then in the arena itself I was told I'd be getting reports for being a second healer.

I also feel if I'd have queued as a healer I'd be getting reports for not being able to heal.

I assume if the default for arcane is damage, I can be comfortable with being damage, even without any actual damage skills.

It's definitely a confusing weapon role.
    • Fikule wrote:

So, I queued for arena with the enigmatic staff and it automatically assigned me as damage, so I didn't change it.

But then in the arena itself I was told I'd be getting reports for being a second healer.

I also feel if I'd have queued as a healer I'd be getting reports for not being able to heal.

I assume if the default for arcane is damage, I can be comfortable with being damage, even without any actual damage skills.

I would think it is fine for a PUG arena if you have high mastery and know what you're doing. Like for enigmatic I think you would want 85 mastery to bring to a PUG so you got arcane shock and purge.
    • Fikule wrote:

Best is to ask a mod.

Last week I took my Nature staff into arena and queued as a DD. Got on a roll and won 6 straight. Took points, both contested and uncontested. Usually led the match for point taking and kill total.

At the end of one match a guy lost his mind that I didn't queue as a healer since I used a Nature staff. Said he was going to report me. I asked a mod, and they said it was perfectly fine what I did. There definitely isn't a queue advantage to queue as a DD since it takes longer to get a match.
    • Aside from the people saying "arena is trash don't play" that's obviously not the focus of the topic, Arcane in general plays as a supporty tank. You can play dps with first Q and W and scholar robe, and dish out quite solid damage, but mainly you will use plate armor and stuff to get bulky, use your Shield, and in arena the purge is very very good if you can use it. If not empowering beam is very good if you find someone to beam.

Don't worry about people getting mad because you use enigmatic: Is just a support, kind of a tank, very different on its own. Have fun!
    • Arcane is the hipster of all hipsterable weapons; you can wear anything and make it tank, dps, or heals.

Arcane can do more than the supporty tank. Arcane is very versatile, but doesn't do a lick of dps until you get your skill up and get that new Q. Your initial Q is horrible dps wise (unless with scholar robe, but don't kid yourself, get real dps), unless the enemy has no mana, which then well they just run back to tent. This is the only time you are able to deal respectable dps as a new player.

Your W debuff is a lot more powerful than it looks, assuming you team is intellectually adequate. If your dps sucks, then well this W sucks more.

Your mana debuff is actually a lot more annoying than it looks, but folks don't use it. I use it with enigmatic, since you know mana is needed.

Arcane DPS is usually trash in arena (and in general) until you get your weapon skill to the 70's and get the new aoe Q. Once you have this, you turn into an artillery-firing silencer. You FINALLY get to do damage and become THE dps.

Your job, silence/cancel dps, silence/cancel the healer. You ruin their experience; marinate in them tears.

I dunk folks who think "Oh look it's an arcane" and end up getting top kills consistently. Boots of tenacity are your friend.
      I dunk folks playing dps enigmatic. Your new Q and W can dish out focused damage, while your E can save the stupid over extended dps/healer.

90% of PUGs don't know how to play with an arcane, so they will just yell at you. Get used to it. It comes with being an arcane. Just let them die.

TLDR: Enigmatic requires a team to go balls-to-the-wall when you pop it. In Arena, you get random Dicks who are all trying to get selfish ego-stroking kills. Queue with your friends and yall can make it work.
      T8 All Gatherer - T8 All Refiner - T8 Rare Animal Breeder

Newbie questions are welcome! <3 <3

Referral Link: Play for free today!
    • I leveled most of my arcane through skinning, using the skinning chest to be able to kill stuff. The rest of my levels(especially high) came from fame credits acquired through 1h dagger fame farming.

Get 1h dagger/torch (great axe also works), assassin hood, leather chest (pick something), leather boots. Fame farm solos. Repeat and acquire fame credits once your spec is high enough. Dump those credits into arcane.

Faming arcane quickly as an arcane is an oxymoron.

• Crane wrote:

I leveled most of my arcane through skinning, using the skinning chest to be able to kill stuff. The rest of my levels(especially high) came from fame credits acquired through 1h dagger fame farming.

Get 1h dagger/torch (great axe also works), assassin hood, leather chest (pick something), leather boots. Fame farm solos. Repeat and acquire fame credits once your spec is high enough. Dump those credits into arcane.

Ohhh so it'd be much better to max something else then first..
    • EpIcOnE101 wrote:

Crane wrote:

I leveled most of my arcane through skinning, using the skinning chest to be able to kill stuff. The rest of my levels(especially high) came from fame credits acquired through 1h dagger fame farming.

Yup. Arcane is a horrible 'weapon' line. Everyone will hate you, you won't get parties, your hair will grow red.

Has been for years, SBI is only now trying to make it something unique with the incoming mimic skill. Guilds will cry you are critical, but then fail to invite you to fame farms. Fun game.

• Crane wrote:

EpIcOnE101 wrote:

Crane wrote:

Yup. Arcane is a horrible 'weapon' line. Everyone will hate you, you won't get parties, your hair will grow red.
      Has been for years, SBI is only now trying to make it something unique with the incoming mimic skill. Guilds will cry you are critical, but then fail to invite you to fame farms. Fun game.
      Feels bad man. Hahaha
      Although I wonder what the Avalonian arcane staff will be like..
    • EpIcOnE101 wrote:

Crane wrote:

EpIcOnE101 wrote:

Crane wrote:

Yup. Arcane is a horrible 'weapon' line. Everyone will hate you, you won't get parties, your hair will grow red.Has been for years, SBI is only now trying to make it something unique with the incoming mimic skill. Guilds will cry you are critical, but then fail to invite you to fame farms. Fun game.
      Feels bad man. HahahaAlthough I wonder what the Avalonian arcane staff will be like..
      To me, the Avalonian weapons are hybrid weapons; the Avalonian spear will basically be like a local pinpointed locus so think spear + arcane.

I expect the Avalonian arcane to be like the brimstone, but with the added bonus of chunking mana away. I can see that really turning tides in zvz, and finally gives Arcanes the opportunity to be a big clapper. SBI's answer to arcane being crap damage for years; arcane on arcane love.