Personal island... first impressions (negative)

• Personal island... first impressions (negative)

Hello all. How are you doing on this superb sunday?
      This is a long post about my impressions on my personal island.
      To make it short:
      Is it worth it on the long term and what use are the other building than a farm?
      I plan to just erase all buildings and plant only carrots. Too much expense for not so much gain. Maybe losing money.

To make it long:

I have a personal island on lvl 4/6.
      I have a farm, a pasture , a kennel and a herbal garden.
      I have a butcher, a magic shop, a saddler and the thing for cooking ingredient (i forgot the name haha)
      I also have a home.
      I could have more buildings but i do not see the point.

So for those that know my previous posts you know why i do not have 4 farms or 4 pasture, I wanted to try a bit of everything .

So now we begin to farm. Carrots, then potatoes etc...
      Same thing for the herbal garden.
      At start i put chicken in the pasture then goats and now we have horses.

In the kennel i put swiftclaw and wildboar and white bear. Then only switfclaw.
      The reason for this was the excessive price of mountainheart and treeheart.

Now where is the gain?
      When you start to farm or nutrure an animal you use focus. At start it's 1 000 focus per "block" or animal. Then it goes down. Now im in the 800.
      Still too much imo. I do not have enough focus for alll and i can not even craft.

So the good point is that the farm give you seeds and some animal give you offspring so you do not have to buy them again.
      If you use focus on the farm its garenteed you will have the seeds.
      For the animal not so much. First time i got 3 club out of 4 in the kennel and 2nd time only 2.
      So more expense.

Now you have the buildings. I do not see the point at all.
      Maybe i am missing something but who craft or cook or whatever in his island?
      At first i did not pay attention to one point and it was acceptable to keep the building.
      Even if yoy do not get ressources bonus or focus it was ok. (I did not have focus anyway as all was going in the farms...)

But then... tadaaaaaa.... buildings require.... food. And Lots and lots of food. Not just a bit. And expensive food also.
      This guy favorite food is worth 1700 per piece in the market and he wants like 5000 or i dont know how much. Cause when i put 250 in it it was just like "this building is running low on food"
      ... seriously. 250 it should ve enough for 3 month. You work alone dude.

Then you have the material to uppgrade your buildings. Low level is ok. But then its more and more expensive. And for what?
      Without taking building cost and lost focus (that i could use in town for crafting) into account.
      Making 4 t5 mount in the kennel and i was almost on break-even. I won like 80k in 3 days.

Then you have the house.
      You have some laborer working for you.
      I only tried 2. The mercenary and the cropper.

You have 2 sorts of journal for them. Trophy or general.
      Trophy is useless imo. It give me trophy not even worth 1k silver.
      The mercenary was useless. 1k silver also.
      Compared to same lvl cropper that give me 30-40 k per run it was nothing.

And i forgot to add the cost of the island also.

So all in all its a money sink to do other things that planting carrots and selling them.
      Im planning to destroy all the buildings . Sad for all the ressources and food i put in them. But their is just no point to use them.
      Maybe i could lower the focus usage so i can use it for crafting also.
      But i do not really see the point of many things in this personal island.
      Yeah its great to be able to craft a swiftclaw mount or white bear.
      Its great to have an island and home.
      Its great to have offsprings but not garenteed.
      But i can make more money in 15 min on the market than 3 days with my island...
      (I will do a topic on this also)

Or am i missing something?

Thanks for reading.
      Have a nice day.
    • It's worth it to have the best stuff for your uses. Which are different than my uses, and anyone else's uses.

But, I don't have any buildings on my personal islands except for Mills. A lot of other people don't have any buildings except houses for laborers. It can be worth it to have buildings for whatever city bonus there is, but they are really only a pressure valve you use when taxes in town get out of hand, so you won't always be using them.

For the farm plots, you really just want one thing so that the activity builds spec faster, if you plan to use focus that way. Otherwise your farms should be laid out to just generate as much silver as you can, or to make yourself a little supply of stuff to craft food or potions you want.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
      "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
    • I am so long out of this as money gain is low.. something like half mio or a mio per day..and I had much better use of focus..

So not sure if I am still up-to-date ..so.handle with care...

Carrots I did, focus goes down to 250 per use, u just needed to focus 50% as it gave 2 seeds..

Sell carrots each day was something between half a mio or a mio..

But using focus on high refine while exploiting laborer is much more money..
    • Piddle wrote:

It's worth it to have the best stuff for your uses. Which are different than my uses, and anyone else's uses.

I guess so. I love to try different things at first to see what i like, what cost money and what gain money.
      I love to see how the "world" function, especially how the mecanism works. That's why i tried various things, and of course after i will focus on one things.
      But all the "simulation" i did on paper where pessimistic haha.

Piddle wrote:

But, I don't have any buildings on my personal islands except for Mills.

Do you need 100% the food for the building to function?

Idebenn wrote:

Do not raise exotic mounts, you will only lose money. Raise animals for meat.
      I guess so. Its only in the positive if you are garanteed to have an offspring. But the "gain" is too slow. 3 days.
      I guess i will try what you are telling me. I love meat haha :D

Hollywoodi wrote:

Sell carrots each day was something between half a mio or a mio..

But using focus on high refine while exploiting laborer is much more money..

Half a mio from carrots? 6 farms?
      This is what i was thinking yeah, focus on refining is better.
      But the problem is without focus i don't get 100% the seeds. So i wanted to know how much low focus i could get if i continued to use it on farms. (250 i guess like you told me. )

But all in all, it's pretty disapointing.
      You just use the island for farm. But uppgrading the island is costy compared to the price of carrots.
      I don't know how much time will it be when laborers and carrots make the break even.
    • LaTornadeRouge wrote:

Do you need 100% the food for the building to function?
      Mills are stupid. When you build them they come with 7-8%? food already, so instead of feeding them you just demolish it and rebuild it. Because the 10% of the T3 you lose is the barest fraction of the value of the nutrition that is created. Because of that it makes 0 sense to use a mill in town. The RR isn't worth it when your nutrition costs approach 0 on your own island, and the tax structure of farming stations is not based on the reality we live in.
      Discord: Piddle#7413
      "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper