Red and Black Zones First Impressions.

• Red and Black Zones First Impressions.

Hey all,
      How are you on this new week?

So like promised. ( Cf this topic: forum.albiononline.com/index.p…ostID=1030210#post1030210 )

I tried Red and Black Zone these pasts 3 days.

To be honest seeing your comments I was expecting to see 5-man groups of gankers at every turn. And getting killed every 5 min.
      I was so scared at start that i just took my old journeyman's horse that i didn't sell , and went in my underpants to see what it looked like haha.

Well the experience was better than expected. I stayed nearly 10 hours in the 2 zones combined . ( 3 in red 7 in black, most of them yesterday, sunday, so more people)
      I didn't die. I got "inspected" ( i guess) many time by red players, some followed me but didn't chase me long , and one ganked me once (i will talk about it later) but that's all.

Its true that in the BZ i just went to Tiers VI zones no more. (I mean i could go to 7+ but it would be way over my level)
      So my review is partial on the first 2 zones i saw. I didn't do much also. (gathering a bit, dunjon and sightseeing lol)

T. V zones are almost empty. If you want to gather or just do some pve (dunjons... ) it's the best for someone that just started the game.
      Not many gatherers and not many gankers also.
      For new players they shouldn't be scared to go in that zone.

In VI zones you have more people but not so much. More gankers but nobody cared enough about me to kill me and take my loot.

I go on a T3 horse without much equipped (so if they inspect me , my gear isn't worth much to them.)

I will up my level and learn a bit more then explore others BZ maps.

Red Zones where more crowded and i saw more PK and gankers than in BZ ( note only t5 and t6 zones tho)
      So i got ganked once here.
      Many followed me but only one guy tried to kill me.
      Well it was weird.
      He got me by surprise while i was exploring the map ( first time) , i was on my t3 horse... naked (just wanted to explore to see what it looked like at first) , so he catch me , put me 50% life and i was like, ok , my last hour came, im gonna die... and here he tell me " im friend 100k" . I was like "kill me you won't get 100k"...
      he tell me "no no i give you 100k" . Why would he wants to give me 100k.
      I wanted to ask but 2 guys from a guild came and tried to kill him. He fled and the 2 others went after him. I fled also ahahaha. (don't know the outcome, but too bad i forgot the name of the guild. )

Well, all in all, it was pretty fun. I guess i'm gonna be ganked more and more for sure and the more zones i pass (and the higher tier also) the higher chance of being ganked. And that it will be less and less fun like some of you tell.
      Maybe i will make a 2nd topic "2nd impressions" where i tell "black zones are horrible". But for now its ok i guess.

Even though to be honest, i don't really understand a lot yet. (I don't really like to read but i guess i should at least a bit to understand those "hideout/guild territories/etc.." and others things that happens in BZ. )
    • Good man! You can't hide in yellow zones forever otherwise theres no point in playing albion, What makes albion fun is knowing you could get attacked at any moment and also that you can attack anyone thats red at any time if you want, If you wanna play safe all the time play a different game is the way I see it, This game is ABOUT the risk your willing to take and that makes it more fun. If you wanted to mindless pve all day there are many games for that but I like to pve with the chance I might get some action weither if its always fair or not. I'm glad your getting yourself out there as many people over state how the blackzones really are and you can go days in the blackzone without dieing and other times you could die 2 or 3 times a day, Its all about how smart you play and where you go in the blackzone, Some zones may be dead and some may be busy, You need to learn the blackzone clusters that work for you, its all about what you want to deal with.
    • When i was reading some topics on this forum when i started playing i was like "oh BZ is like anarchy zone i see, let me have 3 zillions silver in bank and be prepared with a tank (the real modern one haha) to go in" but then when i was like "oh wait a t3 horse is like 10k anyway" it's not like you lose much.

So i went in, and I encourage every player that is scared to go in also.
      "Afford what you can lose".
      For the first time, just pick a T3 horse, the cheapest one, take a T4 tool , total 10-12k max.
      It should be ok, it's not much, even for a player reaching T4. 10 min of raw ressources should give you much more.

And go in the wild, take some ressources (wood, fiber, whatever you want) or kill some mobs to get silvers.
      If you don't get ganked (you shouldn't if you stick to the first zone on your first time) you have made a profit and you can tell
      "I can go a 2nd time, even if i lose my horse/gear i already made a profit the 1st time".

What i didn't like is that those 3 "portals" things are all next to each others. (And you can't change it right away, even on the same town?)
      Also i see a timer each time i enter the BZ , i don't know what it is. (i think 7-8 min or something, but nothing happen once it reach 0 )
    • LaTornadeRouge wrote:

When i was reading some topics on this forum when i started playing i was like "oh BZ is like anarchy zone i see, let me have 3 zillions silver in bank and be prepared with a tank (the real modern one haha) to go in" but then when i was like "oh wait a t3 horse is like 10k anyway" it's not like you lose much.

So i went in, and I encourage every player that is scared to go in also.
      "Afford what you can lose".
      For the first time, just pick a T3 horse, the cheapest one, take a T4 tool , total 10-12k max.
      It should be ok, it's not much, even for a player reaching T4. 10 min of raw ressources should give you much more.

And go in the wild, take some ressources (wood, fiber, whatever you want) or kill some mobs to get silvers.
      If you don't get ganked (you shouldn't if you stick to the first zone on your first time) you have made a profit and you can tell
      "I can go a 2nd time, even if i lose my horse/gear i already made a profit the 1st time".

What i didn't like is that those 3 "portals" things are all next to each others. (And you can't change it right away, even on the same town?)
      Also i see a timer each time i enter the BZ , i don't know what it is. (i think 7-8 min or something, but nothing happen once it reach 0 )
      That other timer is for the INVS bubble buff, You can only use it every 8 mins or something like that.
    • Neef wrote:

Good man! You can't hide in yellow zones forever otherwise theres no point in playing albion, What makes albion fun is knowing you could get attacked at any moment and also that you can attack anyone thats red at any time if you want, If you wanna play safe all the time play a different game is the way I see it, This game is ABOUT the risk your willing to take and that makes it more fun. If you wanted to mindless pve all day there are many games for that but I like to pve with the chance I might get some action weither if its always fair or not. I'm glad your getting yourself out there as many people over state how the blackzones really are and you can go days in the blackzone without dieing and other times you could die 2 or 3 times a day, Its all about how smart you play and where you go in the blackzone, Some zones may be dead and some may be busy, You need to learn the blackzone clusters that work for you, its all about what you want to deal with.
      No point playing Albion if you don't go into the BZ?

What's strange is on one hand you have people saying it's a sandbox, do what you prefer. Then you have your type that state don't play the game if you don't go to bz?

At it's most basic, AO is an economy game. With numerous methods to make cash. It's quite ingenious how they have set it up. Some people don't PvE or PvP. Should they leave also?
      It's not a combat game or a graphics game. Both are from the 90's. I still like it though. Maybe someone will come on here and say if you're a fan of good combat then there’s no point in playing Albion.
    • LaTornadeRouge wrote:

I didn't die. I got "inspected" ( i guess) many time by red players, some followed me but didn't chase me long , and one ganked me once (i will talk about it later) but that's all.
      Expect to be killed by every single player, but in reality most of people running through black zones just don't care about you. You have groups doing dungeons, going to/from cta, gatherers, people hauling stuff to and from hideouts, running to set their home, and so on. If they don't perceive you as a thread or easy money they'll most likely just ignore you.

You can inspect players (default key binding Y) to try to estimate what they'll do.

LaTornadeRouge wrote:

Red Zones where more crowded and i saw more PK and gankers than in BZ ( note only t5 and t6 zones tho)
      Most people assume, that natural progression is blue->yellow->red->black, when red zones are mostly waste of time imho. They grant you less profits than black zones and often are way more dangerous. If you have a guild with access to a hideout (if not, find one) there is barely any point in going red zones.
    • The big problem that I found as starter on RZ and BZ is that pvp fame is useless. I mean no use, it doesnt stack with gear fame or any other. Its just a number relative to the equipement that the other player was wearing. Nothing else.

So you try to get fame and be 400/400 to get the max power of your items and the only thing is kill ppl for money. At this point, when you reach 100 in a weapon, you got almost 10-20 millions just farming so, which is the point?

I have been disappointed. They must improve pvp fame to change it for cosmetics or pvp grear or... dont know, but kill ppl to sell their items when you have 10-20 or more millions its pointless.
    • GankerNextDoor wrote:

Expect to be killed by every single player, but in reality most of people running through black zones just don't care about you. You have groups doing dungeons, going to/from cta, gatherers, people hauling stuff to and from hideouts, running to set their home, and so on. If they don't perceive you as a thread or easy money they'll most likely just ignore you.
      You can inspect players (default key binding Y) to try to estimate what they'll do.

LaTornadeRouge wrote:

Most people assume, that natural progression is blue->yellow->red->black, when red zones are mostly waste of time imho. They grant you less profits than black zones and often are way more dangerous. If you have a guild with access to a hideout (if not, find one) there is barely any point in going red zones.
      Overall rz has more gankers but less skilled and more solo. Bz has less population, less gankers but more skilled and work in group
    • LaTornadeRouge wrote:

Hey all,
      How are you on this new week?

So like promised. ( Cf this topic: forum.albiononline.com/index.p…ostID=1030210#post1030210 )

I tried Red and Black Zone these pasts 3 days.

To be honest seeing your comments I was expecting to see 5-man groups of gankers at every turn. And getting killed every 5 min.
      I was so scared at start that i just took my old journeyman's horse that i didn't sell , and went in my underpants to see what it looked like haha.

Well the experience was better than expected. I stayed nearly 10 hours in the 2 zones combined . ( 3 in red 7 in black, most of them yesterday, sunday, so more people)

Its true that in the BZ i just went to Tiers VI zones no more. (I mean i could go to 7+ but it would be way over my level)
      So my review is partial on the first 2 zones i saw. I didn't do much also. (gathering a bit, dunjon and sightseeing lol)

T. V zones are almost empty. If you want to gather or just do some pve (dunjons... ) it's the best for someone that just started the game.
      Not many gatherers and not many gankers also.
      For new players they shouldn't be scared to go in that zone.

In VI zones you have more people but not so much. More gankers but nobody cared enough about me to kill me and take my loot.

I go on a T3 horse without much equipped (so if they inspect me , my gear isn't worth much to them.)

I will up my level and learn a bit more then explore others BZ maps.

So i got ganked once here.
      Many followed me but only one guy tried to kill me.
      Well it was weird.
      He got me by surprise while i was exploring the map ( first time) , i was on my t3 horse... naked (just wanted to explore to see what it looked like at first) , so he catch me , put me 50% life and i was like, ok , my last hour came, im gonna die... and here he tell me " im friend 100k" . I was like "kill me you won't get 100k"...
      he tell me "no no i give you 100k" . Why would he wants to give me 100k.
      I wanted to ask but 2 guys from a guild came and tried to kill him. He fled and the 2 others went after him. I fled also ahahaha. (don't know the outcome, but too bad i forgot the name of the guild. )

Well, all in all, it was pretty fun. I guess i'm gonna be ganked more and more for sure and the more zones i pass (and the higher tier also) the higher chance of being ganked. And that it will be less and less fun like some of you tell.
      Maybe i will make a 2nd topic "2nd impressions" where i tell "black zones are horrible". But for now its ok i guess.

Even though to be honest, i don't really understand a lot yet. (I don't really like to read but i guess i should at least a bit to understand those "hideout/guild territories/etc.." and others things that happens in BZ. )
      Hey content de voir que t'as pris ton courage a 2 mains et que t'ait fait le saut pour explorer la rz et la bz.

Si t'as des questions hésite pas à me dm ;)
    • My experience was much much worse. I died every time even when I naked running just to explore without even a mount. Almost every time there is a moron who kills me, got angry that I'm empty and runs away.

The strange thing is that RZ appears to be much better for survival to me...in general because there are more solo gangers than groups. It's easier to run away or go PVP than meet some 5 dudes near every exit.
      I love to fish in this game and achieved level when only VII zones are make sense. So when I go to red zone many players don't care or I meet only 1-2 gangers who are not so smart to catch me...but black...oh god. Lets start with exits, almost every exit is surrounded with 5 dudes who run on me with full equip and power...and they don't stop for 2-3 maps. another thing is solo guys who travel around the map particularly for fishers...not glory, guys, no glory at all. Usually I run away from them but it the last month it became so often that I'm...I'm tired of it.

I understand that these zones are about PVP, that the game is around guilds and its war, and big part of the economy is inside the yellow zones. And its OK! Its good. But...waiting for a poor guy near every exit in a group of min 5??? Really? Maybe I'm so unlucky but from 5 runs for gathering or fishing only 1 time I return with something without being killed by a GROUP near an exit. Three times in a row...different map, exits are occupied.

This thing is a big imbalance for those who want to supply or have time mostly to play solo....

I'm tired to buy fishing equipment every time and not being able to pass from one map to another...okay if there is a gangers inside a map, but they just sit near exit and wait for what...4-5 fishing items?

So when you reach like lvl 6-7 in almost every gather category or you have no interest in yellow zones the game stops. Because its became impossible to have just a bit of fun in RZ/BZ in solo when you do everything but killing.

I'm not interested on ganging, the only thing left is to play for a faction....if this fails too than the game ends to me. eh.
    • WhereIsMyWhisky wrote:

My experience was much much worse. I died every time even when I naked running just to explore without even a mount. Almost every time there is a moron who kills me, got angry that I'm empty and runs away.

The strange thing is that RZ appears to be much better for survival to me...in general because there are more solo gangers than groups. It's easier to run away or go PVP than meet some 5 dudes near every exit.
      I love to fish in this game and achieved level when only VII zones are make sense. So when I go to red zone many players don't care or I meet only 1-2 gangers who are not so smart to catch me...but black...oh god. Lets start with exits, almost every exit is surrounded with 5 dudes who run on me with full equip and power...and they don't stop for 2-3 maps. another thing is solo guys who travel around the map particularly for fishers...not glory, guys, no glory at all. Usually I run away from them but it the last month it became so often that I'm...I'm tired of it.

I understand that these zones are about PVP, that the game is around guilds and its war, and big part of the economy is inside the yellow zones. And its OK! Its good. But...waiting for a poor guy near every exit in a group of min 5??? Really? Maybe I'm so unlucky but from 5 runs for gathering or fishing only 1 time I return with something without being killed by a GROUP near an exit. Three times in a row...different map, exits are occupied.

This thing is a big imbalance for those who want to supply or have time mostly to play solo....

I'm tired to buy fishing equipment every time and not being able to pass from one map to another...okay if there is a gangers inside a map, but they just sit near exit and wait for what...4-5 fishing items?

So when you reach like lvl 6-7 in almost every gather category or you have no interest in yellow zones the game stops. Because its became impossible to have just a bit of fun in RZ/BZ in solo when you do everything but killing.

I'm not interested on ganging, the only thing left is to play for a faction....if this fails too than the game ends to me. eh.
      Being naked is sometimes used as ganking bait or scout that's why they kill you. It's better go with flat t4 gear and t3 or t4 horse
    • WhereIsMyWhisky wrote:

My experience was much much worse. I died every time even when I naked running just to explore without even a mount. Almost every time there is a moron who kills me, got angry that I'm empty and runs away.

Spot on! Thanks for sharing your perspective. "Hardcore" is cool and all, but those aren't the people paying the bills.
    • well since then i got ganked many time. Especially yesterday night . I died like 4 or 5 times . It's true it's annoying . And mostly you have many gankers at exits. But some zones have less than others.
      I still could go 2-3 zones away from the portal without seeing many groups.

And also the time you are connected is important. Some hours you have nobody.
      For example i wouldn't try today (sunday) and just do something else.