Unity Games, the Garbage Collector and Periodic Micro Stutters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unity Games, the Garbage Collector and Periodic Micro Stutters

this is a call to sbi lead developers,

last year i upgraded my rig to a 3700x x570 from a fx 8350. the game's general performance sure got better but the micro stutters have always been there. this time i upgraded my 6 gb gtx 1060 to a 2080 super which also brought some better performance fps wise but lovely micro stutters were still there. thus, the conclusion was whatever better hardware you as a player get, you cant get rid of them totally.

i did a lot of research on this stutter matter and found that some unity games also have the same stutters and it usually originates from unity garbage collector.

i m creating this thread in hope to get some player support on this matter and to direct you to fix it.

which micro stutters i m talking about? the periodic ones. everyone can easily check that they exist by doing this: go to your player island, start moving around on a fast mount like a swiftclaw and never stop moving. in like a minute while you are moving around on your island you will get a fair amount of fps drop + higher than usual frame delay (in microseconds) for a moment (which we call as micro stutter). you should use the command /fps to be able to check it real time at south east corner of the game screen. even without checking these stats you can see the periodic stutters happening.

now, it s not easily identified by players or the devs cause it usually only happens while the player is moving. when you dont move, it happens lesser, but it is still there. i m a founder of this game and played a lot and in these years i was able to identify and even also capture it.

anyway, the garbage collector. for the love of god or whatever you believe, dear devs, please focus on "OPTIMIZING YOUR GAME'S GARBAGE COLLECTOR." i m even suspicious that the city micro stutters might originate from this badly optimized garbage collector. please, give it a go and analyze it, even the unity devs have comments on how to improve it.

hope, this message gets some attention..

@Retroman, @Eltharyon
    • Crane wrote:

Why isn't the whole population complaining about this game code issue? Why don't I experience it?
      which micro stutters i m talking about? the periodic ones. everyone can easily check that they exist by doing this: go to your player island, start moving around on a fast mount like a swiftclaw and never stop moving. in like a minute while you are moving around on your island you will get a fair amount of fps drop + higher than usual frame delay (in microseconds) for a moment (which we call as micro stutter). you should use the command /fps to be able to check it real time at south east corner of the game screen. even without checking these stats you can see the periodic stutters happening.

have you tried the test above? people dont complain about it cos micro stutters happen all the time. but it starts to disturb as periodic stutters when you are alone roaming with a fast mount in black zones or red zones etc. happens lesser but like i said it really disturbs..
    • JustKillMe2 wrote:

Crane wrote:

Why isn't the whole population complaining about this game code issue? Why don't I experience it?
      Is the whole population expected to use the forums to complain about it for it to be valid? I think most people just adjusted to it and got used to it, but it does happen frequently for me too. I also agree that when new spell animations happen it causes the fps to drop.
      If it was such a huge problem, the people would be complaining yes.

If the changes are recent, which it seems they are, then it make sense why nobody has been complaining about this.
      T8 All Gatherer - T8 All Refiner - T8 Rare Animal Breeder

Newbie questions are welcome! <3 <3

Referral Link: Play for free today!
    • Crane wrote:

If the changes are recent, which it seems they are, then it make sense why nobody has been complaining about this.
      i havent been playing the game after the queen update but like i said above, the stutters were all in the game, even before the release. we and our devs all had bigger problems to focus on. e.g. the ddos attacks, lag, content creating.. some people asked about the graphics performance a lot, but you know, they were all in seperated (or bug section) threads, taking little attention. also, only like 1% of the players check these forums..
    • I've been tweaking my PC and graphics settings like mad trying to eliminate this problem. If this problem was solved then the game would be perfect IMO.

I am sure it was resolved yesterday at some point but seems to have returned. Maybe I changed something but I didn't think so.
    • This game has always had poor performance for me. Whether it's the microstutters, or drastic frame rate dips outta nowhere, or weird skill lag where you hit a skill 10x and it never fires, or riding half way through a zone only to snap halfway back from where you came.

I think it's only exacerbated by the fact that this is full loot PVP-oriented, so all these little annoyances that probably exist in all games just seem so much more prevalent here.
    • Mullins wrote:

I've been tweaking my PC and graphics settings like mad trying to eliminate this problem.

like i said in my entry message, i believe even the best high end desktop hardware can not eliminate the periodic or the usual micro stutters.. it comes from the game code.

Calesvol wrote:

or weird skill lag where you hit a skill 10x and it never fires, or riding half way through a zone only to snap halfway back from where you came.
      sometimes these things usually originate from unstable connection (ping timeouts), sure not all the time.

The post was edited 1 time, last by solventh ().

• Can you try these settings @solventh

forums.obsidian.net/topic/1009…ze-framerate-and-stutter/

Another Unity based game and I "think" they improve the situation a bit.

I should also note that I am using the March drivers at nvidia.com/en-gb/drivers/results/158332/ as there are several issues being reported with recent drivers and GSYNC.

I have GSYNC enabled and I am reluctant to disable it.

Now testing settings as below with good improvement for me personally (and all other displays disabled after reading answers.unity.com/questions/15…sue-with-dual-monito.html)
      Images
      • nvidia_settings_2.jpg

53.96 kB, 541×386, viewed 31 times
      • nvidia_settings_1.jpg

52.58 kB, 495×370, viewed 29 times
      • game_settings.jpg

270.2 kB, 2,560×1,440, viewed 27 times

The post was edited 3 times, last by Mullins ().