Albion lacks basic privacy features

• Albion lacks basic privacy features

Dear Developers,

Albion provides many tools to track behaviour and online time of it's users. And it is all public for everyone without any way to opt-out. You can go to websites like tools4albion.com/ and see detailed graphs what and when they gathered or fame farmed. People in the friend list or in the same guild get automatic notification when the online status changes.

We live in the year 2020 - people nowadays are aware of the importance of privacy concerns. We have things like the GDPR protecting users because of that. So why does SBI not bother to implement minimal privacy features? Why is there no option to set the online status to "invisible" ? This is a standard feature that most social apps have. Why is there no option "do not make my behaviour data public"?
    • There is a difference between protecting the player's privacy and the character's privacy. I don't want to be in charge of drawing the line between the two, but I am cognizant that it exists.
      Discord: Piddle#7413 "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
    • Piddle wrote:

There is a difference between protecting the player's privacy and the character's privacy. I don't want to be in charge of drawing the line between the two, but I am cognizant that it exists.
      Yes there is a difference between the two.

Playing the character will leak information about the person playing. And the information is leaked through the character. So protecting the characters information implies protecting information about the person playing it.
    • Achaikos wrote:

Even if I did, my privacy concerns is valid.
      Let me ask you: do you wear cloths? Do you do this because you feel insecure, irl threatened to show yourself naked in public? If that isn't the case, may I assume that you play Albion naked and stream it live on twitch?
      No i wear cloths because of having the need to be warm or protect my skin against the sun. I also wear clothes not because i'm insecure but because others by looking me naked would be insecure. Wrong and very stupid choice of example friendo.

I don't get why you feel insecure about this. Exept the e-mail nothing about your privacy is public.

But please explain to me what type of data or info your imaginary character (lemme say pile of pixels) has to do with your irl privacy?
    • > No i wear cloths because of having the need to be ...
      See, and like you I have my own reasons to protect my privacy. They may just be different than what you are imagining. There are other valid reasons for me posting this then my personal flaws. So maybe don't concern yourself with my insecurities, because they are not what my posting are about.

> I don't get why you feel insecure about this.
      At this point you are just trolling.

> But please explain to me what type of data or info your imaginary character (lemme say pile of pixels) has to do with your irl privacy?
      It's writting in my initial post.
    • IMO sandbox game where there is one global server have one important feature: player reputation.Hiding your activity from the guild can only harm the guild. Everyone who has had such an opportunity knows that you need to get rid of inactive players, or pests that would just want to feed on it. the option of hiding your activity would hinder the work of guild masters.
    • Achaikos wrote:

> But please explain to me what type of data or info your imaginary character (lemme say pile of pixels) has to do with your irl privacy?
      No it's not, that's why i asked thoses questions and you got butthurted for some reason (even calling me a troll)

When somebody has to double check what you mean is enough to tell that you wasn't clear about it. Sad to say the least

gmatagmis wrote:

So, your suggestion is to add option to hide your online status for guild and friends?
      Interesting suggestion :rolleyes:
      Now that i know what you really suggested.

Achaikos wrote:

So why does SBI not bother to implement minimal privacy features? Why is there no option to set the online status to "invisible" ? This is a standard feature that most social apps have. Why is there no option "do not make my behaviour data public"?
      1) Most =/= all
      2) Albion in a game not a social app (as far as i know i don't know any mmo or pvp game having an invis statue tho)
      3) Rats that wants to go for big guilds for safety net content, free season rewards, ez zerg ganking without any effort and avoid ctas will abuse this.

Tbh if you don't want your friends to know ur logged game then don't add them (you have discord for social interaction). If you don't want your guild/alliance to know ur logged then don't be in an alliance/guild (same as above)
    • Niefart wrote:

IMO sandbox game where there is one global server have one important feature: player reputation.Hiding your activity from the guild can only harm the guild. Everyone who has had such an opportunity knows that you need to get rid of inactive players, or pests that would just want to feed on it. the option of hiding your activity would hinder the work of guild masters.
      > Hiding your activity from the guild can only harm the guild.
      Really? How would it hurt a guild if I hide my online status for say 1 hour a day?

> need to get rid of inactive players, or pests that would just want to feed on it
      You play with the people, right? Then you should be able to tell who is an active player. You can even screen shot parties to remember player participation. So, no need for online status notifications.

Are you saying that your guild does not allow members to do stuff on their own? Do you need to micromanage them? Well there you have one reason for my request. To prevent people with micromanaging tendencies to overreach.

Please be specific in which way a guild master's work would be hindered by hiding online status.
    • Owlsane wrote:

Achaikos wrote:

No it's not, that's why i asked thoses questions and you got butthurted for some reason (even calling me a troll)
      Fourth sentence: "People in the friend list or in the same guild get automatic notification when the online status changes."