Do we really need the popup when picking up unfed animals?

• Do we really need the popup when picking up unfed animals?

So before this update i could pick up unfed animals without having the extra popup, and the first few times i can put up with it, but clicking yes 100+ times each day gets tiring really fast. Could we revert this to only pop up if the animal actually has any ongoing progress instead of popping it up every time?
      Images
      • Screenshot 2020-05-05 16.37.24.jpg

716.37 kB, 1,920×1,080, viewed 78 times
      Discord: Shred#6182
    • Korn wrote:

Thanks, we are looking into this.
      Why is it that whenever the community insists that animal breeding has to be simplified and the number of clicks reduced, as well as the optimized buttons, and you always end up finding ways to make it worse.

I want to have the option of picking up everything at once and at the same time being able to choose what I want to lift, if the adult or the foal and everything with a single click, not 3!
    • LordSilva wrote:

Korn wrote:

Thanks, we are looking into this.
      Why is it that whenever the community insists that animal breeding has to be simplified and the number of clicks reduced, as well as the optimized buttons, and you always end up finding ways to make it worse.
      I want to have the option of picking up everything at once and at the same time being able to choose what I want to lift, if the adult or the foal and everything with a single click, not 3!
      I think it's the same as with the mail system. It's apparently extremely hard to make a 'choose all' filter for an object group, even though it's basic programming & UX. It should have been proper from the start and with the amount of ignored feedback surrounding UX, why would they make it easier. They haven't yet, why now?
    • Fastorius wrote:

You did not mention that they changed sound (harvest, plant the crop, take the animals, settle the baby animal and ect). New sound sounds awful. Previous sounds were much better imho
      Came here to say exactly this, both this and the popup notifications(which they had fixed prior to this patch) are big downgrades in quality in this patch.
      Guild Master of American Craftsman
      ~Discord gb5Xdpr~
      T8 Quarrier, Miner, Lumberjack, Skinner, Harvester
    • +1

It would help if one of the devs who is actually playing the game would be taken into the discussion about new GUI "improvements". I am sure the confirmation clicking is well-meant, but clearly devised by someone who never did animal breeding.

When the GUI was changed so one had to target a tiny button to pick up the parent animal that was a step in the wrong direction. The confirmation dialog is a giant leap in the wrong direction making an already menial routine task even more cumbersome and time consuming.

Dealing with animals was already grindy enough, so there is no need to trip up the workflow with unnecessary clicking. Actually, it would be cool if there was a slight reduction in the time these kind of tasks take as you level up. It should be possible to give a bonus for reaching a high level without making it automated income.
    • RenKatal wrote:

gideonflynn wrote:

Just don't count on this getting better. There's no reason it would... at all.
      Well they just patched it, sooo....
      I was referring to the comment by TSkebee:

TSkebee wrote:

+1

It would help if one of the devs who is actually playing the game would be taken into the discussion about new GUI "improvements". I am sure the confirmation clicking is well-meant, but clearly devised by someone who never did animal breeding.

When the GUI was changed so one had to target a tiny button to pick up the parent animal that was a step in the wrong direction. The confirmation dialog is a giant leap in the wrong direction making an already menial routine task even more cumbersome and time consuming.

Dealing with animals was already grindy enough, so there is no need to trip up the workflow with unnecessary clicking. Actually, it would be cool if there was a slight reduction in the time these kind of tasks take as you level up. It should be possible to give a bonus for reaching a high level without making it automated income.

It still took how many years to implement a 'choose all' filter for mail?
    • Sooo, you fixed it by removing the actually practical warning for picking up an animal, when there's actual progress being lost?

Did someone get butthurt or what? :cry_laughing: You people removed actual UX, seemingly because you messed up an update to it.

Either way the issue isn't completely fixed, now there's no warning when you have fed an animal and are trying to pick it up.

Also, please do a 'pick all available' on farm plots, it's not newbie friendly, it's basic UX.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gideonflynn: error > warning. ().

• But i mean seriously, how hard is it to make an IF in your code? If such a simple thing is so difficult, i don't even want to imagine the spaghetti code that the game is built on.
      Also do you guys ever do in-house testing when you check if the feature you are updating or implementing actually works? If so, then your testers are missing a lot of things which would be noticed by anyone actually playing the game. Seriously, this performance is amazingly disappointing. Look at what happened with the new messages UI, look at what happened with this, and look at the bug reports threads. Like holy shit, i don't know what is going wrong behind the scenes or if the deadlines are too tight for you, but please get it together because advertising cool new features and then getting them horribly wrong and releasing them full of bugs is seriously degrading the image of the company and the quality of your game.
      Discord: Shred#6182
    • Shrederinoo wrote:

But i mean seriously, how hard is it to make an IF in your code? If such a simple thing is so difficult, i don't even want to imagine the spaghetti code that the game is built on.
      Also do you guys ever do in-house testing when you check if the feature you are updating or implementing actually works? If so, then your testers are missing a lot of things which would be noticed by anyone actually playing the game. Seriously, this performance is amazingly disappointing. Look at what happened with the new messages UI, look at what happened with this, and look at the bug reports threads. Like holy shit, i don't know what is going wrong behind the scenes or if the deadlines are too tight for you, but please get it together because advertising cool new features and then getting them horribly wrong and releasing them full of bugs is seriously degrading the image of the company and the quality of your game.
      It just proves my point with incompetent developers even further. I'd love to be wrong. But I'm being proven right time and time again. I haven't even been here for 3 months.

Incompetence is defined as "not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully" btw. Just to clarify that's what I'm confirmed is happening several times. I'm not bashing using words, this is completely applicable to not being able to implement entry-level, basic programming functions for a super advanced game like AO.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gideonflynn: Incompetence definition, clarification ().

• Midgard wrote:

gideonflynn wrote:

Also, please do a 'pick all available' on farm plots,
      Please dont.
      Why not? Do you enjoy subpar UX? What's the argument, it's not useful for anybody to just go "Please don't". What's the reasoning for not doing it? More carpal tunnel syndrome and general ache for people? Because that's the only thing it achieves.

If you're talking about not making it easier for people... it's clicking. I'm not saying 'let us pick up everything immediately', I'm saying it's bad UX to fucking force everybody to click 18 times for something that can be done in 2 clicks. The time it takes for a 'take all' would obviously match the amount of time for picking up 9 individual plots. So please, what's your reasoning for further risk of carpal tunnel syndrome for a fucking game? If that's not your argument, how is it bad UX? That's the only two points I'm making, and as far as I'm aware the only two points able to made made in regards to a 'choose all' ui/ux for farming.
    • I have an easy fix for a lot of the problems in AO. If you all just buy more gold, SBI will be able to afford more talented people to work on the game.

Then they can fix more problems with the game faster.

So go buy gold.
      Discord: Piddle#7413 "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
    • Piddle wrote:

I have an easy fix for a lot of the problems in AO. If you all just buy more gold, SBI will be able to afford more talented people to work on the game.

So go buy gold.
      So what now? Do they hire the developers now?

They're getting thousands each month, just from subscriptions... they have the ability to exchange their devs, but they'd never do it. They have personal relationships and shit.
    • gideonflynn wrote:

Piddle wrote:

I have an easy fix for a lot of the problems in AO. If you all just buy more gold, SBI will be able to afford more talented people to work on the game.

So go buy gold.
      So what now? Do they hire the developers now?
      They're getting thousands each month, just from subscriptions... they have the ability to exchange their devs, but they'd never do it. They have personal relationships and shit.
      Thousands each month you say!

They have hired more people in the last year. For instance, they hired a UI guy to finally start addressing the list of 10s of thousands of issues the game has with its interface. I suspect he gets 1 or 2 done a day, but maybe that takes a week sometime. So in about 20 years he'd be caught up, if new issues didn't get created.

I suggested they start pumping more oxygen into the office and forcing cocaine on their employees, but they are in the EU and apparently there are rules about that sort of thing.
      Discord: Piddle#7413 "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper