Spears

• I just started this game few days ago, so please advice if i'm starting out decent for my Spear built
      currently only into T4 equips, I started some research on equips for skills, but i'm more on PVE at this point.
      Spear's auto attack speed seems slow for some reason, but I like the damage

was using Adept Spear until earlier with Reckless charge, but I bought a Heron Spear for its ranged stun skill.

Heron Spear
      Q - Lunging strike
      W - Forest of Spears - I like the wide angle and range
      E - Spear Throw -
      Slow Poison

Adept Mage Cowl
      D - Poison : poison DoT / sec for 5 sec
      Aggression

Adept Stalker Jacket
      R - Electric Field - DoT 2x per sec for 8 sec
      Quick Thinker - reduce 5.263% CD

Adept Hunter Shoes
      F - Run

I will try to lure and kite mob group towards me then hit E to stun them, run in D and W, finish up with R / Q if they are not dead.
      During farming I will eat Greenriver Eel to reduce a further 3.5% CD. ( from fishing)

As a new player still roaming in T4 maps, please advice on above for better build up direction.
    • What id like to see... is that there would be new Q. I mean for spear it would be logical if there was somekind "sweep" skill on Q. There is quite many AoE¨s for spear anyways on W/E so it would be cool to see new Q without "damage buff to auto attacks" Even thought it could possibly give give spirit stacks since many skills require them. Should be easily doable. Rather give something else such as movespeed.

At the moment Q¨s kinda forces you to use auto attacks more. Id like to see somewhat "skill reliant" build more. Also could just be "Slam" skill. As those are used in real life too. Sweep and then slamming spear downwards from above your head.

With this. there could be new passive too such as "Every 4-6 skill activated you gain 10-20% movespeed for 2sec" or something else like that. Anyways some passive reliant on skill triggering rather than auto attacks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JikiBoo ().

• They need more damage really. I’ve been messing around with spears trying to like it but then you come across a sword or dagger and you’re left wondering wtf you’re even playing spears.

Just look at chain slash vs impale. It’s insane lol.

It seems like they are taking the approach of focusing on a weapon tree one at a time. Daggers got love, arcane getting love, hopefully spears are next.
    • Fusionbomb wrote:

then you mustn't have seen much

1h spear is a fantastic weapon for all types of content (excluding zvz)
      For me weapon is A-tier or S-tier when it could manage 1v2 or 1v3
      1h spear used to be that weapon
      For now it’s NOT
      It could be used but 1v2 or 1v3 win is just exception
      B-tier dmg and B-tier mobility
      There’s literally no sense to lvl up 1h spear today
      I was 400/400 spear user in good old times pre-inner focus-nerf
      I respec it into other lines with nerf and was rly excited with little Q range buff so lvld it to 100/100 again
      But after 3-5 days testing I found that it’s still crap
      Spear has balanced mid-tier dmg while used with high mobility
      With B-tier mobility that dmg is definitely not enough to be in line with swords bows and daggers
      So you just not telling truth to newcomers
    • At the moment spears are completely underwhelming compared to other weapons.

I also don't like that people try to justify spears are in good spot because with 1h spear you can outrun your opponent.
      There are few problems on it:
      - Fleeing is not winning.
      - It's not true vs swords, bows, daggers, quarterstaff and axes, which are actually the weapons competing with the spear role.
      - What about the other 5 weapons that are nearly unusable (ok, triniyy is usable and it's only use is to buff another weapon such as forge hammer or dagger)

For the sake of comparting to other weapons:
      - Swords
      1v1: Claymore, Carving, Broadsword, Dual swords > 1h spear (all of them have better damage, some have better mobility)
      2v2: Claymore, Carving, Broadsword, Dual swords > Gimmicky Pike (Pike is only playable with another pike or one shot weapon, and if they somehow dodge your stealth attack you are useless...)
      5v5: Claymore, Carving, Broadsword, Dual swords > Trinity? (I guess trinity is the best spear for 5v5 for buffing his beloved forge hammers, on it's own we can all agree it is bad, and I mean really bad)
      ZvZ: Gallatine > No spear is playable at ZvZ
      - Daggers
      1v1: Any dagger is actually better than any spear, 1h, Dagger pair, blackhands, claws, bloodletter, deathgiver, pick your choice, with all of them you outdamaga all spears, have better survivability and better mobility. Beware a hunter hood and you should be fine.
      2v2: Same as above
      5v5: same as above
      ZvZ: Bloodletter is your choice I guess.
      - Bows
      1v1: Regular bow, Whispering, Warbow > 1h spear, you can out damage it easily, you don't even need to move.
      2v2: Regular bow, Warbow > 1h spear, you out damage it easily, also have a better mobility in case you need it.
      5v5: Regular bow, Whispering > Trinity
      ZvZ: Wailing, Longbow > No spear is playable in zvz
      - Axes
      1v1: You can outdamage any spear with any axe actually but battleaxe? Actually with battle axe you outdamage the spear but he probably can kite you to win?
      2v2: same as above
      5v5: Halberd, Bear paws > Trinity
      ZvZ: Halverd, Bear paws > Any choice

I don't want to continue, but you can do the same with: all the weapons but arcane maybe? Like every other: Quarterstaff, Hammer, Xbow, Fire, Frost, Curse, Holy, Nature, all of them have at least one option that outbeats the best spear option for 1v1, 2v2, 5v5 and ZvZ.

And that's the reason why spears are nowhere in either data or opinion based metas out there.
      And it's not we are useless players who don't know how to play it properly (which in my case I am sure I am the problem), but when noone is playing it at a competitive level is highly likely problem is not in the player.
    • I agree that spears need some love, Their main role is as a melee kite weapon having longer reach keeping you out of your opponents reach is the whole point of the weapon. So for me the real problems are anything that keep you standing still.

What I propose is a few minor changes;

1. Increase auto-attack range to 8m to keep in line with lunging strike. (currently, especially in PvP you have to move closer to your target if you want to auto-attack which nobody is going to do so you forfeit auto-attacking in favor or keeping range).
      2. Switch the new inner focus to instant cast, even if it has to bee a shorter duration, standing still to charge up something is just stupid on a weapon line that needs to maintain distance.
      3. Make it so you can move while using forest of spears, the initial cast direction should be maintained while moving (example, if you FoS to the east, regardless of which way you move it will channel to the right of you) Also allow this to apply your passives (slow/lifeleach/rush/attspeed).

I think these changes would be quite balanced in the current meta, would enable spears to dictate range (their IRL role) and opens up some new play styles for offensive and defensive use cases for Forrest of Spears.
    • Odelll wrote:

I agree that spears need some love, Their main role is as a melee kite weapon having longer reach keeping you out of your opponents reach is the whole point of the weapon. So for me the real problems are anything that keep you standing still.

What I propose is a few minor changes;

1. Increase auto-attack range to 8m to keep in line with lunging strike. (currently, especially in PvP you have to move closer to your target if you want to auto-attack which nobody is going to do so you forfeit auto-attacking in favor or keeping range).
      2. Switch the new inner focus to instant cast, even if it has to bee a shorter duration, standing still to charge up something is just stupid on a weapon line that needs to maintain distance.
      3. Make it so you can move while using forest of spears, the initial cast direction should be maintained while moving (example, if you FoS to the east, regardless of which way you move it will channel to the right of you) Also allow this to apply your passives (slow/lifeleach/rush/attspeed).
      I agree on the premise that spears are the kiting melee weapon, and that they need some love to make it stronger.

1. I disagree, the fix for I think would be to lower the auto attack standtime. It can be longer than some spells and leaves you vulnerable to area abilities because you cant move, you cant follow enemies because they get away if you’re using autos. That’s why you see most spear mains use lunging over spirit spear, and just not use autos as much.
      2. Yes. The nerf to inner focus was needed to make the mobility not as ridiculous. But now the charge time required for the buff is ridiculous.
      3. Interesting concept on the moving forest of spears, idk if this would be too strong or not but I’d like to at least be able to test it out. I disagree on applying passives, that could make it too strong.
    • Hi,

As a new player who also decided on spears as a first weapon, this is what i've been using for farming t6 dungeons in the black zone with only T4.1 gear.

Trinity spear:
      Q- Lunging strike
      W- Forest of spears
      E- Spectral trident (Little tip, this is an I-frame while you are in the air. Great for avoiding big damage from mobs or players)
      Passive: life leech or attack speed

Hunters Hood:
      Retaliate (helps with divers)

Hunters jacket:
      Haste

Hunters shoes:
      Refreshing sprint

Regular cloak, thetford if you are rich.

Food: Cabbage soup (hp regen helps immensely between packs)
      Potions: t4 poison for faster boss kills and helps with divers

This has been the basic build I have used so far. It works well for clearing, while still having the ability to 1v1 or maybe 1v2 divers if you play it well. I've managed to level my spears up to about 80 so far with this, and if you swap out some skills on your weapon this works well for small scale pvp fights as well.

I hope this helps!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Telsaro ().